HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

PRE-SEASON--Toronto Maple Leafs Vs. Pittsburgh Penguins--7:30 pm EST, Sep. 26/08

Old
09-26-2008, 09:09 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Kulemin should get the assist of the Tomas Kaberle goal, I wouldn't be suprised if he tipped it in in front of Fleury as well.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:10 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
i say koo-le-min
I say it like that as well. I've heard it pronounce like that on Leafs Lunch.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

white was bad?

yes!

hopefully we don't see him on this team anymore.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
draeko17

I thought it was a pretty good game for Grabovsky. Always creating something in the offenseive zone, not afraid to go to the net and always going back to help out in his own zone. I liked him. Kulemin seems to be getting more and more comfortable. And Steen and Hagman seem to be developing some chemistry.

draeko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:11 PM
alienanton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poony McBagelpoon View Post
white was bad?

yes!

hopefully we don't see him on this team anymore.
maybe 'bad' is not a good word. but white had to be the best player on the ice tonight to keep a spot and he simply wasnt.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:13 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Kulemin should get the assist of the Tomas Kaberle goal, I wouldn't be suprised if he tipped it in in front of Fleury as well.
i disagree. the pens player poked it out to the blue line and kaberle sniped it

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:14 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Grabovski only Leaf center to be crap on face-offs tonight.

DiDo and Steen were best on the draw for Toronto.

Didn't see the entire game, just the 3rd. period collapse, where Mayers was on the ice for the last 2 goals against.

Grabovski look any better tonight?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:15 PM
iceblue

Too bad the Leafs lost,but a great entertaining game. I found myself smiling and cheering more than I can recall in many many months/seasons.

iceblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Sportacus
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Just wait until regular season starts. We'll figure it out from what Don Cherry says.

I've got $5 on Calomine.

09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
The replay looked like some sticks were in the way of the puck, but couldn't tell if any made contact.

Old
09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
WTF I heard Ka-lam-in? & I've heard Ka-lou-man just 3 minutes apart? for Kulemin.
Koo-lay-men

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Grabovski only Leaf center to be crap on face-offs tonight.

DiDo
and Steen were best on the draw for Toronto.

Didn't see the entire game, just the 3rd. period collapse, where Mayers was on the ice for the last 2 goals against.

Grabovski look any better tonight?
Very surprising, considering DiDo was absolutely TERRIBLE on the draw a couple of years ago in Saint John.

Antropov has been very disappointing. May be due to his linemates, but for a guy who many people consider to be the leader both offensively and in the dressing room, he did not show much effort tonight.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Menacer

Funny how even after revamping the whole roster, some things about this team just never change ... but then again the preseason isn't about wins and losses...

I think Luke Schenn just became the first player from the 2008 draft to score a goal at the NHL level, albeit during a preseason game, but still ... loved how solid he looks as a defenseman at just the age of 18. He would be better than some of our defensemen we have under contract (depth guys like White, Kronwall, etc.) but I'd rather seem him develop his game further at the junior level and see him dominate at the WJCs.

Leafs played pretty good again tonight, thats two straight close games against the Stanley Cup finalists ... if there's one thing thats become apparent this preseason so far, its that the team desperately needs a leader to emerge, preferably a veteran guy but maybe someone like Steen & Stajan. Truly beginning to realize how much more Sundin brought to this team than just his offensive prowess.

Menacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Larcos_Unal

poni will never be more than a 3rd liner in the NHL, he's got the physical tools but he's lacking above the shoulders.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:27 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

That's suprising, I thought Stamkos would have had atleast 1 goal scored by now.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
I think Luke Schenn just became the first player from the 2008 draft to score a goal at the NHL level, albeit during a preseason game, but still ....
Didn't Stamkos score one last night?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Funny how even after revamping the whole roster, some things about this team just never change ... but then again the preseason isn't about wins and losses...

I think Luke Schenn just became the first player from the 2008 draft to score a goal at the NHL level, albeit during a preseason game, but still ... loved how solid he looks as a defenseman at just the age of 18. He would be better than some of our defensemen we have under contract (depth guys like White, Kronwall, etc.) but I'd rather seem him develop his game further at the junior level and see him dominate at the WJCs.

Leafs played pretty good again tonight, thats two straight close games against the Stanley Cup finalists ... if there's one thing thats become apparent this preseason so far, its that the team desperately needs a leader to emerge, preferably a veteran guy but maybe someone like Steen & Stajan. Truly beginning to realize how much more Sundin brought to this team than just his offensive prowess.
Stamkos scored for Tampa already I think.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I liked that game all-round. Sifers wasn't too bad considering it was his first game. He moved the puck with confidence. Kulemin is starting to come around. He had some chances to score and made some nice plays - I like his physical play. I really like Grabo's game.. I dunno about the rest of you. He's not a number 1 center by any stretch but he was making things happen out there.. Antropov hurt that line I thought (speed was an issue). He made some really slick moves in the offensive zone, and keeps his engine running even though he's the smallest guy out there.

Nice to see DiDo get a shot too.. but no way he makes the NHL lol. I know, it's obvious but he didn't look out of place skating wise I thought. Endurance and strength were noticeable weak points. I think we have a future player though with him.

Mayers - Moore - Hollweg all but locked up that 4th line duty. They are a good energy line. Hollweg makes a good punching bag, but he does his job for 5minutes a night (he's like a cannon ball out there).

I really liked Steen tonight. He played a great physical game and was hitting everything that moved.

Is it just me or does Hagman really enjoy using his backhand? He is going to be a good player for this team I think. Has some pretty good offensive instincts, and uses his speed correctly.

All-in-all a very good night even though they lost I liked the energy out there. Schenn continues to impress.. even if he was stuck with Ian White. Was caught running around a bit, but he played a calm game and was rewarded with a goal. I get more and more excited from this guy everytime I see him. He looks like he has nerves of steel.

09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

stamkos sniped a beauty the other night yes

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:30 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Very surprising, considering DiDo was absolutely TERRIBLE on the draw a couple of years ago in Saint John.

Antropov has been very disappointing. May be due to his linemates, but for a guy who many people consider to be the leader both offensively and in the dressing room, he did not show much effort tonight.
Antropov is not a player you want with guys who rely on a speed game. Antropov - Sundin - Poni worked because they could cycle down low and use their bodies to wear down opponents.

Antropov and Poni should stick together.. I think that much is certain. I just don't think Antropov fits a run and gun style that Kulemin and Grabo play.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

There are quite a few factors that contribute to his poor stats in the circle...one the Q sucks at stat keeping (aside from goals and assists)...I've seen games where one team literally didn't lose a draw and the Q site had them losing 70%...two, he wins a lot of draws forward...that is an automatic loss according to the Q's stats (sometimes he wins to an opponent only to strip it right away because he was the only one actually expecting that player to get the puck)...and third, he is indifferent in the circle a lot...he doesn't seem to care whether he wins or loses because he has confidence he can get the puck...but if the faceoff is important, he tends to buckle down...

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
weems

Quote:

Stamkos scored the other night.

weems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Menacer

Well, the first of the Big 4 on Defense then

Menacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:31 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
poni will never be more than a 3rd liner in the NHL, he's got the physical tools but he's lacking above the shoulders.
He's a funny character, in two games he gets nothing but grief, while scoring 2 goals.

Old
09-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Good effort by the Leafs tonight

I am really liking the chemistry developing between various pairs of Leaf players.

Steen and Hagman - look good together and had lots of chances

Moore and Mayers - going solid in a shut down role. They have continued their strong play.

Grabovski and Kulemin - both had their best games and seemed to excel together. Started showing more skills and had some good scoring chances together.

Cool hand Luke keeps getting better each game and he hasn't even reached anything close to what he is now in junior. Just the tip of the ice berg and he is going to be a rock on D.

Carlo continues to play strong and confident.

Leaf games are seem more up pace and energetic when Hollweg plays in them.. Just seems to elevate others into better efforts..

Love the Leafs speed this year that Fletcher has brought from the new players.. Makes Antropov and Kubina look slow now out there in comparison.