HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PRE-SEASON--Toronto Maple Leafs Vs. Pittsburgh Penguins--7:30 pm EST, Sep. 26/08

Old
09-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Antropovsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
at the world juniors they called him koo-lemon

koo koo ka choo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton
i say koo-le-min

2:19

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 11:22 AM
EazyB97

I've only been able to watch the first period so far, but there's alot more to be positive about tonight. Who was it that gave the puck away up the middle in the first? Schenn or Dido? They were side by side and it caused a great scoring chance. My thoughts from the first period.

Schenn looks fantastic one on one and when he has easy outlet options. His positioning is starting off really well, but he has a tendency to get lost on the ice. He plays well positionally man on man though, it's afterwards that causes problems, and we've done a very good job of covering eachother. It's the zone stuff he seems to have trouble with and that's only after he initially plays his man well. I think he should play here. It's the speed that is causing some of his turn-overs and the positioning issues, which aren't awful, but are noticeable. Those won't improve in junior, since he won't have the speed to contend with.

Dido - Looks promising, clearly not ready at the moment, but has strong puck skills and alot of promise. Roams the ice well, showed some grit.

Earl - I wish he would get a legit look this year. If he upped his physical game it'd be hard to keep him off the roster, but right now he's like a Moore/Deveraux where they skate well, but don't throw their weight around a ton for energy players.

Hagman's line looked very good, seem to work off eachother well. All seem to be strong physically and have good movement on the ice. I'd like to see them stay together.

Antro's line seemed to be ineffective. Not sure these players fit together.

White looks awful, misses his man far too often and isn't really strong offensively.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 11:31 AM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I've only been able to watch the first period so far, but there's alot more to be positive about tonight. Who was it that gave the puck away up the middle in the first? Schenn or Dido? They were side by side and it caused a great scoring chance. My thoughts from the first period.

Schenn looks fantastic one on one and when he has easy outlet options. His positioning is starting off really well, but he has a tendency to get lost on the ice. He plays well positionally man on man though, it's afterwards that causes problems, and we've done a very good job of covering eachother. It's the zone stuff he seems to have trouble with and that's only after he initially plays his man well. I think he should play here. It's the speed that is causing some of his turn-overs and the positioning issues, which aren't awful, but are noticeable. Those won't improve in junior, since he won't have the speed to contend with.

Dido - Looks promising, clearly not ready at the moment, but has strong puck skills and alot of promise. Roams the ice well, showed some grit.

Earl - I wish he would get a legit look this year. If he upped his physical game it'd be hard to keep him off the roster, but right now he's like a Moore/Deveraux where they skate well, but don't throw their weight around a ton for energy players.

Hagman's line looked very good, seem to work off eachother well. All seem to be strong physically and have good movement on the ice. I'd like to see them stay together.

Antro's line seemed to be ineffective. Not sure these players fit together.

White looks awful, misses his man far too often and isn't really strong offensively.
And it's Earl's physical game that has stood out for me. There were a couple of times that he just missed some of the hits he seemed to be aiming for and one where I actually thought he left his feet a bit (missed the hit anyway) but he seems to be trying to play with a bit of an edge.

draeko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Caesium

On the topic of Earl, he needs to stop being selfish. He holds onto the puck and takes it into traffic for a low percentage play when there's a man completely open for a high percentage play. He wants to be the star player and it's costing him. He's a cocky individual that needs to be a team player.

That said, if he starts actually burying his shots then it's not a problem, but he isn't, and never will in my opinion. If he gets over himself then he might be a good NHLer one day.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:26 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
On the topic of Earl, he needs to stop being selfish. He holds onto the puck and takes it into traffic for a low percentage play when there's a man completely open for a high percentage play. He wants to be the star player and it's costing him. He's a cocky individual that needs to be a team player.
Yeah, we already have one guy like that (Blake), we don't need another Nah, Blake seems to be less-sefish last year but it is something that drove me nuts last year.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Who was coaching this game for Leafs Paul Maurice ?

Giving up 3 goals in the 3rd period, including the 2 goals against in the final 4 minutes of the game in another collapse wasn't suppose to happen now that defensive guru coach Wilson was here. This was with Leafs number one keeper in net to boot.

Oh well, lets hope things get better and with Finger and Frogren in the line-up regularly we can shut the door defensively in the 3rd to avoid these situations.

09-27-2008, 05:17 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Giving up 3 goals in the 3rd period, including the 2 goals against in the final 4 minutes of the game in another collapse wasn't suppose to happen now that defensive guru coach Wilson was here. This was with Leafs number one keeper in net to boot.

Oh well, lets hope things get better and with Finger and Frogren in the line-up regularly we can shut the door defensively in the 3rd to avoid these situations.
It will take a little bit before we learn the defensive style

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:29 PM
joepeps

it's pronounced

Cool - eh - mon

they said it in the 1st or 2nd game thats how he wants his name pronounced

joepeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps View Post
it's pronounced

Cool - eh - mon

they said it in the 1st or 2nd game thats how he wants his name pronounced
Its actually "Cool - yo - mean" from what the Russians (some posters, some my friends) have told me

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 09:26 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:

Those late period colapses were also blamed on the leadership of the Leafs, a la Sundin, McCabe, Tucker as per RW. Now that they're gone that wasn't supposed to happen anymore?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 09:30 AM
LTL

Quote:

In due time that will be resolved.

Once the official lineup is in place and a few weeks of regular seasons games have taken place they'll conform to Wilson's game.

Wilson needs to keep true to his words though about benching players who aren't performing the way he expects them to. If he doesn't the players won't buy into anything he's selling.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
In due time that will be resolved.

Once the official lineup is in place and a few weeks of regular seasons games have taken place they'll conform to Wilson's game.

Wilson needs to keep true to his words though about benching players who aren't performing the way he expects them to. If he doesn't the players won't buy into anything he's selling.
Never say never to a Ron Wilson coached team .

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:08 PM
LTL

Quote:
Never say never to a Ron Wilson coached team .

RW had better batten down the hatches before the season starts. I don't mind a losing record as long as the team dramatically improves defensively. Down the road we can work on fixing the offensive part of our game. Having a strong defensive game to fall back on when our offence isn't producing is exactly what's been missing in Toronto for a VERY long time.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote