HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Toronto's defense

View Poll Results: Leafs D-core is...
Top 5 (1-5) 3 2.56%
Top 10 (6-10) 6 5.13%
Top 15 (11-15) 24 20.51%
Bottom 15 (16-20) 42 35.90%
Bottom 10 (21-25) 24 20.51%
Bottom 5 (26-30) 11 9.40%
Bias 7 5.98%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-27-2008, 02:00 PM
AK

vCash: 500
They are a high risk high reward group.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Anaheim
Montreal
Boston
Detroit
Chicago
San Jose
Edmonton
Rangers
Calgary
Florida
Philidelphia
Dallas
Phoenix
Nashville
Vancouver
Minnesota

I'd say all these teams are definitely better on D. So I wouldn't rank them any higher than 17th. Probably a handful of other teams you could debate have as good or better blueliners (WSH, CAR...)
Philly, Minny, Phoenix, are all worse than the Leafs.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShot View Post
I would say so far this preseason Van Ryn has been avergae well Cola has been our best defender. I think age and injuries are starting to catch up to Van Ryn and Cola well he just can't stay healthy.
I think it's important not to read too much into preseason. NHL history is littered with examples of guys who tear it up in exhibition games only quiet down when the real season starts. For a veteran like Van Ryn I think this preseason is about adjusting to a new team and finding his legs, not going all out to win a roster spot.

More importantly, Van Ryn is only 29, which is still prime for a dman and has only had one significant injury. (Wrist injury requiring surgery last year.) His spot as an NHL regular, capable of logging 20+ minutes a night, should not be jeopardy. You've got two more seasons of him at 3.5 a year, I just don't see why they would have acquired him with no intention of him being a regular contributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
You need to watch Colaiacovo more. He shows potential to be a solid #2 defenseman. He has the total package of offense, defense and the ability to crush opponents. His only real knock is being injury prone.

I kept a stat when he came back to Toronto's line-up for a stretch and was paired with McCabe. I can't remember the exact numbers but over something like a 28 game span he was on the ice for 1 even strength goal against and McCabe 4. The difference he made was incredible.
Cola is another guy who doesn't excel at any one aspect but doesn't have any glaring weakness. He's a good skater, passer, good positionally, plays a good physical game for his size etc...but doesn't blow you away in any one department. He may turn into a reliable top4 dman, but what I'm saying is that I don't think he's earned that title yet.

I have nothing against the guy and hope he can succeed in this league. But I just see a guy who is good but not great at a lot of things, doesn't play more than 18:00 minutes a night and has a huge question mark when it comes to injuries. To me that is no.4/5 guy on most teams. He has the potential to be better, but for him I would say it's more important to play an entire season rather than try and blow everyone away.

If I were the Leafs I would give him 18:00 minutes a night with a reliable partner and hope he can build off an injury free season. You don't give him too much responsibility, you just hope he plays a solid game and can contribute when he's called to play PP and PK.

Despite what some are saying about the Leafs defence, the reality is they don't need Cola to dominate and they don't need to rush any of their youngsters. They have a pretty good top four capable eating minutes and playing sound hockey.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:17 PM
It Kills Me

Before dealing McCabe, TOP10 easily.

Now? Bottom 10 in the league.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Philly, Minny, Phoenix, are all worse than the Leafs.
Minnesota has one of the best defense in the entire NHL...

Kim Johnsson
Brent Burns
Nick Schultz
Marek Zidlicky
Martin Skoula
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Kurtis Foster

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:26 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Cola is another guy who doesn't excel at any one aspect but doesn't have any glaring weakness. He's a good skater, passer, good positionally, plays a good physical game for his size etc...but doesn't blow you away in any one department. He may turn into a reliable top4 dman, but what I'm saying is that I don't think he's earned that title yet.

I have nothing against the guy and hope he can succeed in this league. But I just see a guy who is good but not great at a lot of things, doesn't play more than 18:00 minutes a night and has a huge question mark when it comes to injuries. To me that is no.4/5 guy on most teams. He has the potential to be better, but for him I would say it's more important to play an entire season rather than try and blow everyone away.

If I were the Leafs I would give him 18:00 minutes a night with a reliable partner and hope he can build off an injury free season. You don't give him too much responsibility, you just hope he plays a solid game and can contribute when he's called to play PP and PK.

Despite what some are saying about the Leafs defence, the reality is they don't need Cola to dominate and they don't need to rush any of their youngsters. They have a pretty good top four capable eating minutes and playing sound hockey.

Sure, being injury free is the start. People seriously underrate his abilities though. They have been evidenced by his effect on his teammates. I've actually heard Hab fans compare him to Souray, which couldn't be further from the truth. He's much better defensively than that.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Uh lets see

They have an excellent #1 in Kaberle and Kubina is a good #2 as well, but after than it gets rough. Very rough. They have two injury-prone defensemen (Van Ryn and Colaiacovo). They aren't superstars either. Van Ryn is a 4th/5th defenseman and the same with Colaiacovo. Frogren is a 6th/7th defenseman and Stralman is a 5th/6th defenseman on an average team. He will develop into quite the defenseman but isn't that defenseman right now.

It's not looking good and what happens if Van Ryn and Colaiacovo get injured again?

Kaberle - Kubina
Stralman - White
Frogren - Schenn

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote