HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CHL/NCAA/Euro Update

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2004, 08:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
CHL/NCAA/Euro Update

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
02-24-2004, 08:32 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

WOW Andrei Kastsitsyn with CSKA-2
27 GP
25 Goals
13 Assists
38 Points
28 PM

Old
02-24-2004, 08:52 PM
habsfansam

Andrei Kastsitsyn is really impressing me... i know people will say that he can't score in the RSL, but unless someone can prove otherwise i go under the assumption that he played about 4-6minutes per game, especially on a team that loaded... we can expect he wouldn't score much there.

Does anyone know more about the Euro Icehockey Challenge?? Who attends... what's the level of competition??

Hopefully everything works out and a)we have hockey next season, and b)we get him at least to the AHL so we can keep tabs on him!

Other question... how would Ryan Glenn rate as a pro?? How is his development, and can we reasonably expect him to be signed? anyone seen him play that can describe his game?

Old
02-24-2004, 09:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam
Andrei Kastsitsyn is really impressing me... i know people will say that he can't score in the RSL, but unless someone can prove otherwise i go under the assumption that he played about 4-6minutes per game, especially on a team that loaded... we can expect he wouldn't score much there.

Does anyone know more about the Euro Icehockey Challenge?? Who attends... what's the level of competition??

Hopefully everything works out and a)we have hockey next season, and b)we get him at least to the AHL so we can keep tabs on him!

Other question... how would Ryan Glenn rate as a pro?? How is his development, and can we reasonably expect him to be signed? anyone seen him play that can describe his game?

Well in the 2 games I watched Kastsitsyn play for CSKA, he played on the 4th line in both games, but in the first game, (a 6-2 loss) he played a regular shift. In the 2nd game it was a lot closer (3-2 i think) so he didn't play as much it seemed. Still I would say he played more then 4-6 mintues. But that was only 2 of the 11 games he played.

To me, scoring close to a goal a game is impressive even if it's junior level, Kovalchuck never played in the RSL, not saying he's anywhere near as good cause I think Kovalchuck is one of the best young players in the world, but he's in the same area, just smaller and not as skilled.

The Euro Ice hockey challenge was against Ukraine, Poland I forget the rest. Not a very high level of competition but I dont know much about the tournament just what I read briefly.

I've seen Ryan Glenn play but it was early in this season, as he seems to have really stepped it up lately. He has good size, uses it well, skates well, has decent speed, makes good passes, and has a nice shot from the point. I'd say he plays a solid all round, but nothing jumps out, more of a safe but smart game with a solid physical presence (will take the body but not too aggressive). I would think that management has to at least consider bringing Glenn to Hamilton or the ECHL but they don't have to sign him until next summer even though he will not have a team to play for after a month or so from now.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Where can I find the players in the RSL ? I'd like to know who this players are that are ahead of Andrei?

Also, nice to see Purrila (sp.) and Halak having great seasons.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:15 PM
RE-HABS

Thanks for that Dan, great as usual.

From what I have read in papers, internet sites and so on the Habs seem to be really high on Maxim Lapierre. Nice to see another kid make the Habs brass notice them with their hard work.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Where can I find the players in the RSL ? I'd like to know who this players are that are ahead of Andrei?

Also, nice to see Purrila (sp.) and Halak having great seasons.

Well there's russianprospects.com but it lists them by player not team. There's also some russian sites if you speak russian.

On CSKA off the top of my head, there was Zherdev, there's Moyzakin (who is 5th in scoring in the league, was leading until long injury) there's Anshankov (was traded to Pitt), Soin, Razin (flyers prospect), Chernyk (isles?), Emeleev ('04?), Kosmachev

Old
02-24-2004, 09:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Thanks for that Dan, great as usual.

From what I have read in papers, internet sites and so on the Habs seem to be really high on Maxim Lapierre. Nice to see another kid make the Habs brass notice them with their hard work.

Lapierre just got into a fight in the last game to stick up for one of his teammates, which you don't see that often from 1st line players that are 3rd on the team in scoring in their 2nd full season. I remember Savard said after the rookie camp that he was impressed with Lapierre the most out of all the prospects at camp.

Old
02-24-2004, 09:23 PM
obcd1

I can't wait to see Kastisyn play

Old
02-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1
I can't wait to see Kastisyn play
I can't wait to see him play Is first game In a Habs Uniform

oh and BTW,verry good work Dan I appreciate what you've done for us,Habs fan

Old
02-24-2004, 10:06 PM
TroyM

I love reading the updates

Any idea on Kastitsyn's overall standing in the league (in terms of points)?

Old
02-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
...Kovalchuck never played in the RSL, not saying he's anywhere near as good cause I think Kovalchuck is one of the best young players in the world, but (Kastsitsyn) is in the same area, just smaller and not as skilled...
Kastsitsyn is smaller and not as skilled...and he's not even Russian. What's that leave as areas of similarity--they both have names beginning with K and wear skates while they work.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Kastsitsyn is smaller and not as skilled...and he's not even Russian. What's that leave as areas of similarity--they both have names beginning with K and wear skates while they work.
I think he meant, that Kastsitsyn has the same skill set, but not as explosive as Kovalchuck, meaning he can handle the puck at high speeds, which is a skill that not many players have, has an impressive array of shots, and plays with the same intesity and willingless to score everytime he touches the puck...I think that pretty much describes Kovalchuck....

P.S.-when Kastsitsyn was drafted he was listed at 6' 189lbs, he was 18 when he was drafted, which means he'll probably grow at least another inch and add another 10lbs at the very least....so hopefully he come over to NA at about 6"1 and 200lbs

Old
02-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Slick Nick

Btw both are russian...And Perezhogin is Russian, not Kazakh..and Zherdev too

Dan, could you comapre Kastytsin to any NHL player. From what I've read on him, his style would be close to Havlat's or Pavel Bure's style. Is that right?

You are doing a great job with the prospects!

Old
02-25-2004, 11:48 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am

Well what I meant was when I watch Kovalchuk, he seems to come alive when he has a chance to score, and he's a very dangerous shot selection, but I've also noticed he can make some very crisp tape to tape passes. In Kastsitsyn, when I watched him play, he reminded me of Kovalchuk, cause whenever the puck is close to him in the offensive zone, he seems to come alive and suddely gets a lot faster and then look out. Kovalchuck has a nasty, nasty shot. It's heavy and he can get it off quickly. I'd say he's one of the best pure goal scorers in the league and one of the better I've seen in some time. He has great instincts on offense, and with his heavy quick shot he can either wrist it, go for the slapper, make a deke, so basicly he's tough to defend against. Kastsitsyn also has a heavy shot, and he gets it off quickly. His shot selection makes him tough to defend against. His slapper is hard, his wirst shot is his best shot quick and heavy. But he also can make some very impressive passes even though with his shot you have to expect him to shoot first. So the way that Kastsitsyn reminds me of Kovalchuk is that they are both dangerous in the offensive zone, with quick speed, a selection of shots and moves, and an ability to find the open man with crisp accurate passing. Plus neither is considered to be strong in their own end at the same age, as both are impressive offensive weapons, but need to improve their defensive game. Maybe they are nothing alike, but that's what I thought when I watched the 2 games I've seen this year. 2 games isn't much at all, so we'll have to see what he does down the road, no matter who he is compared to.

Kastsitsyn, who is much smaller then Koval (who's got great size which also helps him out a lot) will not be able to create as much room for himself as Kovalchuck can, he's not as strong as him, but he's not weak or small either. Kastsityn in the RSL doesn't look small on the ice, he has a good frame, but not built and overpowering like Kovalchuk can be.

I haven't noticed if Kovalchuk does a lot of floating in the netural zone, but to me this was Kastsitsyn's biggest weakness. He floated too much in the netural zone.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:54 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Kastitsyn if from Belarus, so he isn't Russian. I think Zherdev imigrated to Russia so he could play for the Russian national team; Kastitsyn plays for the Belarusian national team. This explains why Zherdev had military obligations, and Kastitsyn doesn't. Both were born in the USSR, but not Russia...

Old
02-25-2004, 12:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick

Dan, could you comapre Kastytsin to any NHL player. From what I've read on him, his style would be close to Havlat's or Pavel Bure's style. Is that right?

You are doing a great job with the prospects!

I get to see a lot of prospects, so I get asked often to compare prospects to current NHLers. I have never like this cause it's not fair to the prospect. Each player is their own, and brings their own set of skills.

I've heard Gaborik comparisons, but I don't agree with them so much, but I don't watch too many Wild games. Like I said in another post, when I watched Kastsitsyn I thought of Kovalchuk. The biggest reason was that Kastsitsyn seems to want to score every chance he can. I'm sure all players want to score every chance, but Kastsitsyn puts it in extra gear and will either get a good shot off or make a nice pass.

As for Bure, Kasty isn't as fast, but both were weak in their own end. I found Bure to be brutal in his own end for lack of effort at times. Kasty seems to give the effort, just doesn't know how to use body positioning, using his stick to block off passing lanes, or angle off players.

As for Havlat, he make make a better comparison. I can see some likeness in each others game but I never thought of that so I'll have to rewatch the games to get a better opinion. It's not something I focus on. I try and just watch what they do on the ice, how they react to certain situations, what their strengths and weaknesses are, how hard they work, what kind of game they bring. Size, strength, skating, offensive game, defensive game etc..

Old
02-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Rectificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I get to see a lot of prospects, so I get asked often to compare prospects to current NHLers. I have never like this cause it's not fair to the prospect. Each player is their own, and brings their own set of skills.

I've heard Gaborik comparisons, but I don't agree with them so much, but I don't watch too many Wild games. Like I said in another post, when I watched Kastsitsyn I thought of Kovalchuk. The biggest reason was that Kastsitsyn seems to want to score every chance he can. I'm sure all players want to score every chance, but Kastsitsyn puts it in extra gear and will either get a good shot off or make a nice pass.

As for Bure, Kasty isn't as fast, but both were weak in their own end. I found Bure to be brutal in his own end for lack of effort at times. Kasty seems to give the effort, just doesn't know how to use body positioning, using his stick to block off passing lanes, or angle off players.

As for Havlat, he make make a better comparison. I can see some likeness in each others game but I never thought of that so I'll have to rewatch the games to get a better opinion. It's not something I focus on. I try and just watch what they do on the ice, how they react to certain situations, what their strengths and weaknesses are, how hard they work, what kind of game they bring. Size, strength, skating, offensive game, defensive game etc..
Were'nt you saying that Ryder's main weakness was his lack of strenght?

Did you see his neck?

Old
02-25-2004, 12:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectificator
Were'nt you saying that Ryder's main weakness was his lack of strenght?

Did you see his neck?

I found his skating and speed to be his weakness. I didn't think he was anywhere near as bad as Ward, but both have come a long way. Last year at the start of the season, Ryder was in the press box or the 3th-4th line, so I'd say Habs management felt something similar. I found him to have some troubles in his own end, and his lack of strength on the puck. But as the season wore on, and with callups and great play he moved up to the top line and over the season improve his defensive play and balance to the point he was one of the best all round players in the AHL.

I wrote Ryder off when he got sent down to Miss. Ice Gators (it was his 2nd trip to the ECHL) I thought he was done. But I heard he was doing really well in Miss, and I was going to see him play in the ECHL All Star game, but he got called up and went on a tear on the 2nd line in Quebec with Ward and Darby (I think). That's when I started to think he could turn out to surprise. Early in the year I'd listen to every bulldogs game and was concerned that he wasn't getting much ice time, but when he did play he seemed to produce every game. It didn't take long and he worked his way into the lineup and then he was scoring goals left and right. When I started doing the Habs page, I moved Ryder into the top 10 cause his wrist shot and hard work were going to get him a shot. I thought he would be a 3rd liner giving a great effort and giving our 3rd line some offensive punch but I never ever expected him to be this good. He's been unreal, and having twice the season I could have ever hoped for him which is great to see.

As for his neck, no I can't recall but Ward's got the longest neck I've ever seen. I have worked in a gym, so players body frames are something I feel I can evaluate well. Higgins seems like he works out a out as he has a solid frame, whereas Ryder seems more bulky not as cut.

Old
02-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Slick Nick

Always interseting to read your comments Dan, thanks for the info.

Old
02-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Kastitsyn if from Belarus, so he isn't Russian. I think Zherdev imigrated to Russia so he could play for the Russian national team; Kastitsyn plays for the Belarusian national team. This explains why Zherdev had military obligations, and Kastitsyn doesn't. Both were born in the USSR, but not Russia...
I'm not really into giving a russian history class on Hfboards, so i'll just say you're right about the ethnicity of these players.

Closed Thread