HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney's annual "prototype" lines have arrived!

Old
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Renney's annual "prototype" lines have arrived!

Quote:
Dawes-Gomez-Jessiman; Naslund-Drury-Moore; Byers-Dubinsky-Zherdev.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...#comment-99028

I don't think Sam's knows it, but I think he reported about Renney's annual prototype lines today. He have done it last camp, and the camp 2 seasons ago.

Last season Renney put together some nuts line in TC one day, there was a fuzz about it and allot of people called him crazy -- I remember thinking that Renney really went out of his way that time to get players that fitted into his gameplan on all lines.

And 2 seasons ago I clearly remeber it and even found a post I made about.

From October 4th 2006, Renney's lines in order after our nr 1 line:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=6657837&postcount=1
Quote:
X-Nyls-Shanny (JJ was injured)
Prucha - Straka - Hall
Dawes - Cullen - Ward
Korpikoski - Dubinsky - Moore
Callahan - Helminen - Jessiman
Falardeau - Petruzalek - Weller
There where a very clear pattern -- right?!! Smaller relentless LWers, both Cally and Korpi was moved out of position. Centers who can cover allot of ice and take the puck up ice. Bigger RWers who could shut down the right side.

They where most definitly the types of players Renney wanted on the team in 06'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its very interesting to study the types he wants this year, they are more of a realistic approch of what we could put together here in NY, how we could get 3 even lines, and the prototypes have changed some, more hard nosed types along with more creativity:
Dawes-Gomez-Jessiman
Naslund-Drury-Moore
Byers-Dubinsky-Zherdev

What we see above is, on paper atleast, in terms of STYLE (alone probably) 3 very well balanced lines.

Having a TYPE like Jessiman next to Gomez is spot on. I've used Dustin Penner as a example of someone who would be perfect next to Gomez. In the game today it aint easy for players like that, its hard for them to keep up with the up and down game. However, next to Gomer you get a free ride in that aspect -- gomer is probably top 3 in the league in that aspect behind like only Z and Crosby. Gomez is also our best center -- and if we want 3 lines that all can bring offense, playing our best center with the "worst" pair of wingers is a must.

Drury excells when he got a winger/center to "serve". Like he have with Forsberg and Vanek for example in the past. I thought Näslund would be a option next to Dubi -- but I really don't think thats the case anymore. Like Näslund is just so much about make plays in several stages, Dubi is just a raw force. Näslund with Drury could be a option, Chris got a higher understanding of the game then Dubi. Moore is also a player who fits like the glove there, he would help Drury go up and down the ice, cover defensivly for thoose 2.

Byers would fill Averys position next to Dubinsky. Avery and Dubi where great fits with each other, it was too bad that Avery couldn't play with Jagr without getting all puckfinesse horny. Z would get allot of open ice playing with thoose 2 creating havoc.

I don't for a second belives that Tom is seriously considering thoose lines for the upcomming season. But I actually belives that its the 3 line where everyone in terms of style; fits what we are trying to build here in NY the most -- out of all players in the entire camp I would bet he just for fun almost put together the "types" of players and combos on each line he would prefer the most to see in NY. It might sounds far fetched -- but I actually remember him dooing the exact same thing once in camp last season too, and the year before that too. Thoose two times everyone got all worked up, but it didn't amount to anything. But if I am right, which I think I am, its interesting to identify the types he have opted for and what kind of players he would prefer.

CONCLUSIONS:
1. Could this be applied to the trade front?-Yes, if we struggle in NY look for Slats to look for a Jessiman type, who is further along in his development, on the trade front. We got a free ticket to stardome, almost, for a player like that next to Gomez.

2. Could this be applied to callups from HFD?- Yes, again if we struggle in NY, and they have not made the team out of camp, don't be suprised if Renney splits up the lines we have seen previously in camp and puts Näslund with Drury and with a callup of either G. Moore or Lauri Korpikoski from HFD.

3. Could this be applied to players beeing moved from NY?-I would imagine that if a deal is made, one of either Prucha or Dawes will be moved. But maybe a bit more supriseingly, and far fetched maybe I assume, is that Callahan really don't fit the mold either. I am sure Renney loves Callahan -- I sure do, but in terms of style he isn't big OR creative.

Last edited by Ola: 09-25-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...#comment-99028

I don't think Sam's knows it, but I think he reported about Renney's annual prototype lines today. He have done it last camp, and the camp 2 seasons ago.

Last season Renney put together some nuts line in TC one day, there was a fuzz about it and allot of people called him crazy -- I remember thinking that Renney really went out of his way that time to get players that fitted into his gameplan on all lines.

And 2 seasons ago I clearly remeber it and even found a post I made about.

From October 4th 2006, Renney's lines in order after our nr 1 line:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=6657837&postcount=1

There where a very clear pattern -- right?!! Smaller relentless LWers, both Cally and Korpi was moved out of position. Centers who can cover allot of ice and take the puck up ice. Bigger RWers who could shut down the right side.

They where most definitly the types of players Renney wanted on the team in 06'.

Its very interesting to study the types he wants this year, they are more of a realistic approch of what we could put together here in NY, how we could get 3 even lines, and the prototypes have changed some, more hard nosed types along with more creativity:
Dawes-Gomez-Jessiman
Naslund-Drury-Moore
Byers-Dubinsky-Zherdev

What we see above is, on paper atleast, in terms of STYLE (alone probably) 3 very well balanced lines.

Having a TYPE like Jessiman next to Gomez is spot on. I've used Dustin Penner as a example of someone who would be perfect next to Gomez. In the game today it aint easy for players like that, its hard for them to keep up with the up and down game. However, next to Gomer you get a free ride in that aspect -- gomer is probably top 3 in the league in that aspect behind like only Z and Crosby. Gomez is also our best center -- and if we want 3 lines that all can bring offense, playing our best center with the "worst" pair of wingers is a must.

Drury excells when he got a winger/center to "serve". Like he have with Forsberg and Vanek for example in the past. I thought Näslund would be a option next to Dubi -- but I really don't think thats the case anymore. Like Näslund is just so much about make plays in several stages, Dubi is just a raw force. Näslund with Drury could be a option, Chris got a higher understanding of the game then Dubi. Moore is also a player who fits like the glove there, he would help Drury go up and down the ice, cover defensivly for thoose 2.

Byers would fill Averys position next to Dubinsky. Avery and Dubi where great fits with each other, it was too bad that Avery couldn't play with Jagr without getting all puckfinesse horny. Z would get allot of open ice playing with thoose 2 creating havoc.

I don't for a second belives that Tom is seriously considering thoose lines for the upcomming season. But I actually belives that its the 3 line where everyone in terms of style; fits what we are trying to build here in NY the most -- out of all players in the entire camp I would bet he just for fun almost put together the "types" of players and combos on each line he would prefer the most to see in NY. It might sounds far fetched -- but I actually remember him dooing the exact same thing once in camp last season too, and the year before that too. Thoose two times everyone got all worked up, but it didn't amount to anything. But if I am right, which I think I am, its interesting to identify the types he have opted for and what kind of players he would prefer.

CONCLUSIONS:
1. Could this be applied to the trade front?-Yes, if we struggle in NY look for Slats to look for a Jessiman type, who is further along in his development, on the trade front. We got a free ticket to stardome, almost, for a player like that next to Gomez.

2. Could this be applied to callups from HFD?- Yes, again if we struggle in NY, and they have not made the team out of camp, don't be suprised if Renney splits up the lines we have seen previously in camp and puts Näslund with Drury and with a callup of either G. Moore or Lauri Korpikoski from HFD.

3. Could this be applied to players beeing moved from NY?-I would imagine that if a deal is made, one of either Prucha or Dawes will be moved. But maybe a bit more supriseingly, and far fetched maybe I assume, is that Callahan really don't fit the mold either. I am sure Renney loves Callahan -- I sure do, but in terms of style he isn't big OR creative.

I think those are almost certain to happen, unless we want to lose guys on waivers for nada. If you think there is a trade market for Jessiman you better hope he makes the team, if not we will lose him when demoted.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:23 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
[/B]

I think those are almost certain to happen, unless we want to lose guys on waivers for nada. If you think there is a trade market for Jessiman you better hope he makes the team, if not we will lose him when demoted.
I might be wrong but I think he's fine as long as he starts the season in Hartford and we don't recall him all season (unless it's one of those bozo emergency call ups). No players have to go through waivers unless they are sent down after a certain date?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Ola

I don't think there is a trade market for Jess, I am not sure if I missundertands Radek27 or he me.

And I very much doubt that he would be picked up too actually. Like any team that picks up a player naturally does it to play him in the NHL right away. Allot of decent players passes through waivers every year. Teams are usually pretty set.

Old
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

hmm about time Renney started putting lines together.

I like how he put 2 players that look good together and then a corner grinder.

That's how you roll 3 lines baby.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
hmm about time Renney started putting lines together.

I like how he put 2 players that look good together and then a corner grinder.

That's how you roll 3 lines baby.
These "corner grinder" guys are becoming severely overrated around here.

As we saw a few nights ago, all three of Naslund, Gomez, and Zherdev are capable and willing to go into the corners for the puck. They are hockey players, after all. Zherdev in particular battled quite a bit, and he showed a willingness to plant himself in front of the net when necessary.

You don't just put a player like Jessiman on a line with two skill guys "because he'll go to the corners", there's far more to consider, and the above is a very simplistic approach. A lot depends on chemistry, as we know well, and you can have all the right ingredients but sometimes they simply don't react as you expected.

If you "spread out" the skill guys, all you have is a skill guy on each line with two guys who can't produce as much, and in the end you actually limit your production. Look at Ottawa, they've had their big three together on line, and they've been consistently one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't think there is a trade market for Jess, I am not sure if I missundertands Radek27 or he me.

And I very much doubt that he would be picked up too actually. Like any team that picks up a player naturally does it to play him in the NHL right away. Allot of decent players passes through waivers every year. Teams are usually pretty set.
I think if he hits waivers he will be looked at just for his size and the fact he was a first rounder in a good draft. Teams who feel they want to maybe add size would look at him on waivers. We picked up way worse guys on on waivers like Brad Isbuster just because they had size and was a former hi pick. Jessiman has also showed improvement during his last two seasons so why wouldn't a crap team take a shot at him? Florida, LA, Blues, Toronto, Nucks, Preds would atleast give him a look I would think, Throw the Isles in there too.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Kaktus*

So far I see 1.5 to 2 goals per game.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
We picked up way worse guys on on waivers like Brad Isbuster just because they had size and was a former hi pick.
Isbister wasn't picked up on waivers, and he had NHL games to his resume and was flat out a much better player than Jessiman is.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:33 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

If I was a team with little to no prospect depth (like atlanta) I'd definitely take Jessiman and give him a lot of ice time on a good Wolves team. It will at least give their fans something to hope for.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Ola

Haha, when I read the first post not even I can understand what I ment. I was pretty tired there.

Anyway, my intentions was to show that the lines Renney had in practise that day was lines created out of prototypes of players, like what types they had; not their skill. Renney have done the same thing the last 2 years in camp, put together lines that makes sense in terms of style and not skill. Thoose are interesting to watch from other perspectives; like what we might do in the future in terms of personell decisions et c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
If I was a team with little to no prospect depth (like atlanta) I'd definitely take Jessiman and give him a lot of ice time on a good Wolves team. It will at least give their fans something to hope for.
The thing is, Jessiman can't be sent back to the AHL if he is picked up, then hed have to pass through waivers again and we could take him back.

So any team that picks Jessiman up have to make him one of their top 21 skaters. After a full camp, or some time into the season -- teams aren't often to eager at not beliving in what they got and take a shot at someone unproved.

Old
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Renney and his line changing

I wanted to make a new thread but i guess it falls in this category.

Once again, Renney IMO is being impatient with the lines and its affecting the players.

I am not one for the Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev line, because i think Z should be with Dawes and Drury, but Renney didnt even give them 3 games together before nixing it. Stick with it.

To me, Renney jumps the gun too much and to be honest he is part of the problem with the chemistry. If players see that they are constantly being moved around, no wonder they hold the stick too tight and try to get too cute. Renney gives them no time to get comfortable or acclimate to their linemates, so they are forced into trying to generate chemistry when it should just come naturally, unfortunately sometimes that takes time... something Renney has a problem with.

Now going to Europe he has Naslund sitting and Prucha with Gomez and Drury and Dubinsky with Z and Voros... its all screwed up. There are 2 preseason games until the REGULAR SEASON. It should be a full squad with the NHL lines we are going to see in Prague IMO, especially after using a split squad for basically the entire preaseason. Sure, he wants to see how Potter and Fahey do, ok, put them in. But the forward lines should be about 90% set going forward. He does this every year and its no wonder why they get off to crappy starts.

Find the combinations you think will work and RIDE IT OUT for a good 5 games.

I am praying that he ices the team will see on opening night on wednesday, they need to skate as a team. You don't expect them to turn it on like a light switch during the season, so why force them to on opening night?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote