HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

** Pre-season G6 - 09/27/08 | 1:00 PM | MSG(HD) - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers **

Old
09-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
They also were not playing the puck cleanly at all. A lot of players looked nervous and were not handling the puck well. Hopefully that settles down soon, they just didn't look like they ever got comfortable.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:19 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

vCash: 500
6 games in 8 days....

Even with a split squad, a lot of travel in a short span coupled with intense training camp practices = a tired squad.

I wouldn't look to much into it. It's still only preseason.

Let the debbies fans gloat. They were a much more rested squad.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:19 PM
shoothepuck

lack of effort on all parts describes this game

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
eco's bones

Numerous problems today. Not a very good game for Henrik. I don't know if it's too many games in too short a time period but I have not been overly impressed by our offense from the first exhibition game. It just might be that players like Drury, Dawes, Prucha, Callahan are at best secondary scoring types. Naslund may be on the decline and Zherdev may be another enigmatic version of Kovalev. Whatever--the Rangers announcers think that what we're looking at is definitely playoff bound and perhaps even a contender. I'm skeptical on both counts.

As for the game--one major complaint--atrocious call on Korpikoski. Apart from that clearly the better team won today even if it dressed a number of AHL'ers. Roszival looked particularly bad as well. Dawes is not looking too good to me either. He needs to get more involved. The Rangers are going to have to count on him for at least 20 goals this year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
bmw2004

I saw the game today. It was horrible. I think we can prepare for the terrible season.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Unk

Can someone fill me in w/ the Korpikoski call? It seemed like a clean hit with the puck nearby. I thought a 5-minute major was pretty bad, but where'd the Game Misconduct come from?

That being said, I can't wait for this ****ing preseason to be over.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:32 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I saw the game today. It was horrible. I think we can prepare for the terrible season.
Oh god, give me a break

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Blueshirt Fanatic*

We looked very sloppy with the puck...Fatigue definately showed on the ice today. That was a pretty shot by Zherdev, Naslund too. Renney said they all will sleep on the plane ride and will get active right when they touch ground.

Last edited by Blueshirt Fanatic*: 09-27-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Blueshirt Fanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Not a whole lot of good tonight, nice goals by Zherdev and Nasland but not so great plays by our defense and Lunqvist.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:34 PM
broadwayblue

Definitely not a good afternoon. Hank didn't have it today and Redden is starting to really make me nervous. That said, the officiating was brutal. Even worse, the garbage call on Korpedo to give him a misconduct really messed up the game plan...as he was supposed to get a good look. On the bright side, we dodged a bullet with Staal not being injured worse...and Zherdev and Naslund had to come away with some improved confidence scoring on home ice. In all, they need a better 60 minute effort going forward.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:27 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I haven't watched a lick of preseason action, but I've been reading the boards a bit. This is not something I wanted to here.

After losing Jagr, Straka, Shanny, Avery etc etc my expectations for this season have dropped from last yr. I hope we at least see PO's.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

No need to re-hash the terrible game today but the one bright spot for me was on the way out in the bathroom a guy in a Devils jersey looks at me and goes "sorry my boys had to take yours out today". I just smiled and replied "sorry about that playoff series last season" and walked away. His friend who was wearing a Richter jersey laughed in his face. It made the loss bearable for me lol

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:38 PM
ALine9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Thanks for the update professor. I think I know that already. I don't care if you had the entire 95 Cup Team, the Devils just aren't that good anymore, aren't considered Cup contenders anymore, have a terrible farm system, have had a terrible recent draft record, and did nothing to improve their biggest weakness from last season, which was your defense corps. They got older, slower and are pinning their hopes of making past the 1st round on Holik and Rolston.

Like I said, you guys don't scare me.
The last draft was pretty good. Our weakness last season was offense and we did partly address that also. We definitely did not get slower either. Yeah older, but the teams goal is to win now, there's only one age we're concerned with.

ALine9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Parise and Zajac yes.. also the Captain Jaime Langerbrunner along with 2 of the best defensive forwards in the NHL in John Madden and Jay Pandolpho.
Is that why John Madden won the Selke and Pandolfo came in second?

Oh wait, it was Datsyuk who won, and Zetterberg that came in second. thats right.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:51 PM
gmanwrx

pre-season or not, i just just lossing to the devils........

our 1st & 2nd pass just were sloppy or just not connecting...
in return just spending more time chasing the puck....

devil didnt even have there whole line up.

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:57 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Definitely not a good afternoon. Hank didn't have it today and Redden is starting to really make me nervous. That said, the officiating was brutal. Even worse, the garbage call on Korpedo to give him a misconduct really messed up the game plan...as he was supposed to get a good look. On the bright side, we dodged a bullet with Staal not being injured worse...and Zherdev and Naslund had to come away with some improved confidence scoring on home ice. In all, they need a better 60 minute effort going forward.
Staal injured? What!?

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Staal injured? What!?
i think he was fine, he went down to block a slap shot from rolston, it hit him in the hand but i think he was ok

this was taken from the devils blog

Quote:
After reviewing the video, the league has already rescinded the game misconduct against Lauri Korpikoski that accompanied the boarding major he took on hitting Sheldon Brookbank in the first period.
pretty bad call

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:09 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i think he was fine, he went down to block a slap shot from rolston, it hit him in the hand but i think he was ok

this was taken from the devils blog

pretty bad call
Thanks, I hope he's ok, I expect a lot out of Staal this year.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Is that why John Madden won the Selke and Pandolfo came in second?

Oh wait, it was Datsyuk who won, and Zetterberg that came in second. thats right.
Actually Madden came in second, but its a moot point.

He certainly is a great factor on our team, and there is no denying that.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:02 AM
FLYLine24*

I haven't read the thread but in regards to the lineup...Drury and Gomez have no chemistry and there is no reason to try to force it IMO when we have players who have chemistry.

Dubinsky and Callahan have shown good chemistry, keep them together.

Dawes has good chemistry with Drury and Gomez, have him playing with one of them.

Naslund and Gomez have good chemistry and will click more as the season goes on. Keep them together.

Put Zhederv on a line with Drury, away from Gomez, both players like to carry the puck so they should be separated.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:24 AM
hdw

I have to say that I think people are over reacting a tad.

It was a pre-season game.

The young and roster spot hunting (or wanting to climb in the depth charts) can get excited over such a game but the established players are already focussing on the season.

They'll go out and do their job sure, and they'll try to find chemistry with their new line-mates, but they are not 100% "there".

And as everyone knows, you will not win any games unless you are 100% "there".

I would take much from the games in Europe either, not even the "real" games.

If they look as uninterested when they get back to the Garden for real games, then it's time to get worried.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Cherepanov 71

Well the Rangers didn't look in good form, and either did the referees. Only bright spots I saw were Gomez and Naslund have good chemistry, even if Nazzy doesn't shoot. Zherdev scored, looked great, he can really bring the people out of their seats. Staal's injury didn't look to bad, he continued playing. Another good thing I take out of this game is that the complete team wasnt playing. Aside from that the team looked bad, Henrik got beaten five-hole alot. I just hope they are ready for the beginning of the season, a good start can go along way in a playoff race.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:19 AM
Ola

OOOHHHHH how suprising it is to see that the same fans who wanted JJ, Straka, Nyls and co gone now are complaining on a team with almost 2 new full lines aren't playing well early in the season.

Maybe this is what we where talking about when people said that JJ should have been kept because we needed continuity in NY. Nooo... Some guys around here definitly deserves what they are getting right now.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:47 AM
JimEIV

As a Devils Fan: I'm not going to lie to anyone, I love Gomez. I think he is a fantastic player and way under rated. But I think what is perfectly clear is he is not able to lead an offense. I think Drury is in the same boat personally.

When they are ask to make crucial plays at pivotal times in the game they come through....But ask those players to shoulder the burden of the the bulk of the offense and it aint going to happen. Sometimes 60 points from 1 player is not the same as 60 points from another player. I think the Devils are in the same exact situation. These teams need scoring by committee, and I think that is going to be a transition for the Rangers after loosing a player like Jager.

I wouldn't look to much into this game if I where a Ranger fan. I personally don't think this game is an indication of the season to come. How long it takes them to adjust could be an issue, but this game is meaningless.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 07:36 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
OOOHHHHH how suprising it is to see that the same fans who wanted JJ, Straka, Nyls and co gone now are complaining on a team with almost 2 new full lines aren't playing well early in the season.

Maybe this is what we where talking about when people said that JJ should have been kept because we needed continuity in NY. Nooo... Some guys around here definitly deserves what they are getting right now.
I mostly agree Ola--however Nylander wanted too much--more in terms of years than salary per. I still can't see that.

On Jagr--there was going to be a day--when we were going to have to cut bait. I think we did it too early as well. Too many people were spoiled by the numbers Jaromir put up in 05-06. They don't tend to take into account that around the Eastern Conference other teams were better prepared to face him the next season. They improved their strategies and personnel to shut him down. All the best teams in the East practically and some not so good now have a big bruising shutdown style defenseman. I don't see how the Rangers will be better offensively this year.

To comment on Avery as well. Voros may turn out okay but he's not going to replace what Sean brought. He's not nearly as good a player and not nearly as versatile. Sean could bring the puck up the ice and make plays. He was a good pk'er. Being a good player made his antagonistic style more effective. Voros strikes me more as a Ville Nieminen type. He won't bring the puck up the ice and make plays. He's not going to be as versatile. He may chip in the odd goal and assist but is not going to be that much of an offensive threat.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote