HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price Question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
  #126
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Useful? Sure.

Truth is, both goalies lost to Philadelphia's offence in the 2007-2008 Post-season. Had Huet been able to beat Philly, we wouldn't have played Philly. Neither goalie was going to beat the Flyers that season, because neither goalie's team was able to beat the Flyers.

Get over it, move on, the youngsters are more seasoned this year, perfect for a Cup run.
Huet took a worse team to 7 games. Get over it? psshh i guess the same could be said to you then, quit being a hypocrite, you are contributing to this thread just like me.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:34 PM
  #127
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Carbo was shocked as hell when Huet got traded. I think trading him had just as much a potential to cause a "rift" as simply meeting with him about giving Price some experience.
I disagree. Gainey's job is to do things like trading/signing. It's Carbo's job to manage the team Gainey gives him.

By trading Huet, Gainey would doing his job.
By telling Carbo to start Price over Huet, Gainey would be doing Carbo's job.

Forcing Carbo to start Price over Huet implies that Gainey doesn't trust his judgment. This intrusion into Carbo's power would definitely cause way more problems between Gainey and Carbo compared to Gainey trading away Huet.

If Carbo was as disappointed in Huet's trade as you state, isn't that more of an indication that he'd start Huet of Price come playoff time?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
  #128
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,761
vCash: 500
Trading Huet was a mistake at the first sight. Going into the playoffs with a tired rookie goaltender ain't bright. But since Huet was a UFA at the end of last season, and since the Habs had not interest (obviously) at resigning him because they believed in Price ; shopping him was the only way. We also need to understand that Gainey made a class move by trading his goalie in a team that was participating the playoffs ; maybe he could have had much more by trading Huet to a weaker team (speculation ; who knows anyway).

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:12 PM
  #129
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
The Lindros situation was because Quebec sent into the NHL agreements to trade Lindros to both teams. They basically tried to say, "Scratch the fax for Lindros to Philly, we're sending him to New York instead".

A verbal agreement has no worth until something is sent to the NHL. Gainey could go tell Fletcher he can have Carey Price for Curtis Joseph, but until it gets sent in, its just the man's word.

Also, from everything I've seen, Waddell never said, "Marian Hossa is yours" but "It looks like Hossa will be yours". Had Waddell been happy with what Montreal had, enough to make a deal, he wouldn't have waited to field other offers.
Yes, agreed. But this doesn't reflect well on Waddell. If he gave Gainey a strong indication that the deal was going to get done and then he comes back with a late counter-offer, that's pretty smarmy. Par for the course in high stakes negotiating, maybe, but smarmy nonetheless. I've never been a big Waddell fan anyways, I think he's a terrible GM. Maybe my bias is showing.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:47 PM
  #130
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Never in a milion years with the team we had last year. We would have probably lost to Boston with Huet in nets.

Boston took us to 7 regardless.
Quote:
Price is waay more talented than Huet and at the time, there wasnt much difference in their performances.
Price is projected to be a better goaltender, he has yet to prove this. I think having Huet around for some leadership would have given benefited Price last year.

I'm not suggesting Huet should be here this season, but we still may need leadership along the way.


[uote]Bottom line is that it was a real gamble but a very calculated one especially when you have Halak as a backup who's also very good.
Halak hasn't shown anything at the NHL level to be called "very good". He shows some promise, but pro leagues around the globe are filled with "very good" backup goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Then this year we would've either had to give Huet $5-6 million a year or went into the season with Price as our #1 goalie as a huge question mark.
I think Bob could have received a veteran in return, if he looked earlier month. It just seemed like a panic trade.

Quote:
With this trade we found out Price can be an excellent #1 goalie and the problem wasn't just Price in the 2nd round it was also our lack of scoring, something Mr. Huet wouldn't have helped us with.
Again, Price hasn't proven anything. I'm sure he will, but he hasn't proven a darn thing as of yet.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
  #131
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Halak hasn't shown anything at the NHL level to be called "very good". He shows some promise, but pro leagues around the globe are filled with "very good" backup goalies.



I think Bob could have received a veteran in return, if he looked earlier month. It just seemed like a panic trade.


Again, Price hasn't proven anything. I'm sure he will, but he hasn't proven a darn thing as of yet.
and this is why he's the GM and you'r not. Last year our team as a hole needed those playoff since many players ( A.Kost (the bust), S.Kost, Higgins, Komisarek, Georges, O'byrne, Plekanec,Latendresse,Lappierre, Halak) had little or no experience. As our franchise player, Price HAD to goal, it was a case of '' you live or die with the future''. Most rational fans knew that last year wasn't the year that we were going to the cup.In fact it's the complete opposite, the Huet trade proved that he's one of best Gms in the league, now we an extra 2 round pick to trade if needed and Price will be more ready this april

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
  #132
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Again, Price hasn't proven anything. I'm sure he will, but he hasn't proven a darn thing as of yet.
Did you see him at the end of the regular season last year? He was excellent and was one of the main reasons we ended up with the first seed. You've got to be kidding me. He also stole by himself 2 games vs. Boston in the playoffs and won a playoff series, that's proving a lot more than Huet has.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
  #133
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Not a bad performance by Price last night. Two goals on 36 shots, .944 sv%, stopped all 3 shooters in the "skills competition" that some call shootout...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
  #134
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Not a bad performance by Price last night. Two goals on 36 shots, .944 sv%, stopped all 3 shooters in the "skills competition" that some call shootout...
You're being pretty modest. For a preseason game that was very good, Florida seemed dangerous all night long and he didn't have a great defense in front of him.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:56 PM
  #135
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Did you see him at the end of the regular season last year? He was excellent and was one of the main reasons we ended up with the first seed. You've got to be kidding me. He also stole by himself 2 games vs. Boston in the playoffs and won a playoff series, that's proving a lot more than Huet has.
Stealing a game or two doesn't mean you are an incredible goalie. I really like Price, he has the tools, I'm just not quick on calling him the next best goalie in the league for a bit.

Wasn't long ago Theodore was the man, the next Roy.. Garon was the future.. etc etc.

I like the idea of having a veteran backing up the young kids in net, doesn't mean I'm right.. just my opinion.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
  #136
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Stealing a game or two doesn't mean you are an incredible goalie. I really like Price, he has the tools, I'm just not quick on calling him the next best goalie in the league for a bit.

Wasn't long ago Theodore was the man, the next Roy.. Garon was the future.. etc etc.

I like the idea of having a veteran backing up the young kids in net, doesn't mean I'm right.. just my opinion.
I didn't say he was "incredible". I said he's proven that he's a solid #1 NHL goalie at the age of 21 while you tried to say he's proven nothing...

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:01 PM
  #137
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Stealing a game or two doesn't mean you are an incredible goalie. I really like Price, he has the tools, I'm just not quick on calling him the next best goalie in the league for a bit.

Wasn't long ago Theodore was the man, the next Roy.. Garon was the future.. etc etc.

I like the idea of having a veteran backing up the young kids in net, doesn't mean I'm right.. just my opinion.
But we all knew Theodore had problems and his mind wasn't on hockey. I have to admit that the season he won the Vezina/Heart was one of the most dominant/lucky performances I've ever seen by a goaltender. I think his pads were huge though, and who can't remember the save in the playoffs he made off of Thornton or Guerin with his shirt (bat wings).

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
  #138
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
But we all knew Theodore had problems and his mind wasn't on hockey. I have to admit that the season he won the Vezina/Heart was one of the most dominant/lucky performances I've ever seen by a goaltender. I think his pads were huge though, and who can't remember the save in the playoffs he made off of Thornton or Guerin with his shirt (bat wings).
Theodore's pads weren't over-sized and the save he made on Guerin was done with the shaft of his stick. I'm not sure how you got confused here, it's pretty obvious afterall, because Theodore spins and throws his stick and it ends up in the net after the save.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
  #139
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I didn't say he was "incredible". I said he's proven that he's a solid #1 NHL goalie at the age of 21 while you tried to say he's proven nothing...
How is he a solid #1 exactly? What does he have.. 25 games as a number one goalie? You consider that amount of time "proving" yourself?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
  #140
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Huet took a worse team to 7 games. Get over it? psshh i guess the same could be said to you then, quit being a hypocrite, you are contributing to this thread just like me.
No he didn't. The Caps took the Flyers to game 7 IN SPITE of Huet. He was outright terrible in some games and cost the Caps a couple games on his own. It would help if you had actually seen any of the games.

I hate the argument that people think having Huet would have allowed us to beat the Flyers because he "took them to game 7". Not only was Huet pretty mediocre in the series, having Huet would not have changed the fact that our entire team was completely snake bitten and unable to score, on top of Biron playing like a star like someone else mentioned.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
  #141
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Although I don't put too much emphasis on pre-season games, it's still ironic to see Huet giving up 7 goals in on 22 shots and Price playing totally amazing hockey.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
  #142
kovalev47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
No he didn't. The Caps took the Flyers to game 7 IN SPITE of Huet. He was outright terrible in some games and cost the Caps a couple games on his own. It would help if you had actually seen any of the games.

I hate the argument that people think having Huet would have allowed us to beat the Flyers because he "took them to game 7". Not only was Huet pretty mediocre in the series, having Huet would not have changed the fact that our entire team was completely snake bitten and unable to score, on top of Biron playing like a star like someone else mentioned.
I saw the entire series and saw the series completely opposite of you. Huet kept the Caps in the series. Price was terrible versus Philly not Huet.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
  #143
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
I saw the entire series and saw the series completely opposite of you. Huet kept the Caps in the series. Price was terrible versus Philly not Huet.
You really need to give up your anti-Price campaign.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
  #144
kovalev47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Although I don't put too much emphasis on pre-season games, it's still ironic to see Huet giving up 7 goals in on 22 shots and Price playing totally amazing hockey.
It's preseason. Also Huet had an AHL team in from him, Price didn't. Also remember the last time people here were gloating about Huet playing bad and then what happened in the Philly series against the Habs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
You really need to give up your anti-Price campaign.
Then people need to stop talking about Huet. he doesn't even play for the Habs.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-01-2008 at 04:04 AM.
kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:39 PM
  #145
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
You really need to give up your anti-Price campaign.
He's been doing the same thing for a year on the Habs' official forum... people just start ignoring him.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
  #146
Cyrrus147
Registered User
 
Cyrrus147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
It's preseason. Also Huet had an AHL team in from him, Price didn't. Also remember the last time people here were gloating about Huet playing bad and then what happened in the Philly series against the Habs.
Yea we saw how great was our D tonight with the amazing Brisebois - Bouillon and Weber - O'Byrne (on his offside).

And 8 PK is nothing for a goaltender. Let trade Price for a conditional pick, he had a bad serie against the Flyers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Then people need to stop talking about Huet. he doesn't even play for the Habs.
At least Price has learn to put his freaking stick on the ice, so he doesn t get score on his 5 holes every game.

Cyrrus147 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 04:04 AM
  #147
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Huet choked in way too many big game situations...

2007-08: Everytime we had a shot at passing ottawa and taking over first Huet choked.... every single time. We did not become 1st until he was gone.
2006-07: Final game vs Toronto; terrible
2005-06: choked vs Carolina.

We saw this pattern repeated in game 7 of Philly-Washington. Huet was one of the worst goalies in the first round last year... Price had 2 shutouts, including one in a 1-0 win and one in game 7. With Huet in net we lose to Boston. Bravo Gainey.


P.S. JMMR and I were at the game on Sunday night... from what we witnessed it appears that Bell Centre staff have been instructed to throw out anyone who is wearing a Cristobal Huet jersey or jersey-tshirt in the building. They will no longer be tolerated. Carey Price only.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:23 AM
  #148
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
It was a good decision. I think a GM like Bob Gainey would have thought long and hard before he made a trade like that.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
  #149
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Huet choked in way too many big game situations...

2007-08: Everytime we had a shot at passing ottawa and taking over first Huet choked.... every single time. We did not become 1st until he was gone.
2006-07: Final game vs Toronto; terrible
2005-06: choked vs Carolina.

We saw this pattern repeated in game 7 of Philly-Washington. Huet was one of the worst goalies in the first round last year... Price had 2 shutouts, including one in a 1-0 win and one in game 7. With Huet in net we lose to Boston. Bravo Gainey.


P.S. JMMR and I were at the game on Sunday night... from what we witnessed it appears that Bell Centre staff have been instructed to throw out anyone who is wearing a Cristobal Huet jersey or jersey-tshirt in the building. They will no longer be tolerated. Carey Price only.
It was Carbo fault, because Huet just recovered from injury and didn't seem at 100% yet, and Carbo rush him.

Talent Analyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
  #150
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
It was Carbo fault, because Huet just recovered from injury and didn't seem at 100% yet, and Carbo rush him.
1) He was in net... if he told Carbo he wasn't ready; Carbo wouldn't have put him in. I agree it was a mistake to put him in... but regardless of that he still choked.
2) He choked in a number of other big games.... A bad goal that eliminated us in Game 6 vs Carolina.... A goal off a rebound off a point shot in OT that eliminated Washington.... The game in Ottawa where we had the chance to pass the in the standings and he gave up 3 goals on 4 shots. The bad goal to Brindamour in the third period of game 3 in the Carolina series when we could've taken a 3-0 lead and basically ended the series. Hes choked numerous other times.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.