HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Preseason: 9/27/08 Montreal @ Ottawa 7:00PM EDT CKAC, CJAD, TSN2

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2008, 10:02 PM
ToNedOuT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I feel that I'm somewhat questioned here....

It's just a prediction that his game won't be enough to translate in the bigs. In Juniors he has been pretty good. Thing is, clearly, while he looked like a scorer in Juniors, you won't find a lot of people thinking he would do the same in the NHL. Then you have lot of people, and they might be right, that think that his faceoff skills, his grit and his hockey sense will permit him to play in the NHL as a checking 3rd or 4th liner, and again, it might totally happen. I just think that his skating needs tons of work, and we have soooo many 3rd and 4th liners coming and knowing that those guys can also be acquired elsewhere that I don't see a lot of openings for him. But again, as a Habs fan, there's nothing I would like more to see than to be wrong on this. We'll see on he does with the Dogs this year.....if he makes it.....'cause my other prediction is that he could be headed in the ECHL....

But I will probably eat some crow as far as this prediction goes....I'm expecting to see a thread about it and my relish and mustard are already prepared.

But as much as he had success in Juniors, I always thought that for what he could bring us, if we would have had a big trade to make and had to include an interesting prospect who's probably well regarded elsewhere, I would have no problem including him. Not that his limitations should be exposed, it might be too late to do so. So let's work with him and hope it works for the best.

And to be honest......I wasn't expecting anything from him, but liked what I saw from him today. Nothing earth shattering but I saw some good things.
Come to think of it...i think i was calling u out

I really think he has an NHL quality wrister...nice quick release and it's a cannon. ryder'esque in a way but he plays a much better 2-way game.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Ok, Sens beat our AHL/ECHL team, good for them.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:37 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
The jury is definitely out on that deal for me. I realize this is pre-season, but he hasn't shown much hustle out there. Not really a fan at this point - hopefully he improves when it counts.
At 37, you really expected him to play like if he had to impress?

God... Try to be more rational guys. Preseason means nothing. Remember Smolinski last year on preseason? He was our best player...

Old
09-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Fire Brunet*

On a positive note

Komi is now a monster

Old
09-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Ottawa certainly did hand it to us tonight, didn't they? They're well on track to being the top team in the East again. Seriously, the team Montreal iced should have been unbeatable.

Old
09-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Ottawa certainly did hand it to us tonight, didn't they? They're well on track to being the top team in the East again. Seriously, the team Montreal iced should have been unbeatable.
are u being serious... on offence besides s.kost all of the top players were out and ottawa had their big 3 playing

Old
09-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Wouldn't you reconsider some of your generous appraisals?

My uncritical praise would be reserved for Chipchura and Desjardins.
Where am I being too generous in your estimation? You have to look at veterans and rookies differently in these games. Personally, I look for improvement from the vets and hustle from the rookies.

I liked Latendresse's game and thought he looked faster. Judging by some of the posts in this thread, I wasn't the only one who saw that. Komisarek didn't blow me away, but he jumped into the rush at the end, (which I really liked) and seemed to have more agility/footspeed than I was used to seeing so I'm hoping this will translate into an even better performance in the regular season.

White showed a lot of hustle and was noticeable despite limited icetime and poor linemates. (He played 12:52 total, mostly with Russel and Glumac and still managed to catch my eye with his hard work.) Valentenko didn't play a great game, but I liked the poise he showed when he had the puck and I think the kid has potential to be a regular NHLer down the road.

Overall, Chipchura was our best player and the only player who really struggled was Anderson. Giving him 20+ minutes against practically an NHL first team squad exposed his weaknesses.

I don't see where I'm off base in this analysis...

Old
09-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
are u being serious... on offence besides s.kost all of the top players were out and ottawa had their big 3 playing
Read it again but with this at the end.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:21 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
At 37, you really expected him to play like if he had to impress?

God... Try to be more rational guys. Preseason means nothing. Remember Smolinski last year on preseason? He was our best player...
Yes, he should be giving effort out there and trying. You don't just show up to a new job and coast, at least not in my opinion. I'm not saying that he should be out there going nuts because he may injure himself, but I don't think he has been trying very hard. To top it off, he's made a lot of bad plays, give-aways, etc. Add that all up and AT THIS POINT, I'm not impressed with him. I hope he does turn it up in the regular season.

Preseason does mean something - it's getting back into the swing of things and setting yourself up for the upcoming season. Do you see the Kostitsyn's or Plekanec floating out there? Nope. They are in the right mind-set and are preparing to get into it right from game 1. They will hit the ground running, while Lang may take 5-10 games to get back up to speed. Especially where he is older, this is where he should be shaking the rust off and giving an honest effort.

I don't know, just my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I am very surprised that the team we had out there gave the Sens that much of a challenge. The score and the play should have been totally one-sided. If I'm a Sens' fan, I'm very concerned...

Old
09-28-2008, 12:43 AM
source

Two things. Yes, we beat your B team with our A team - but guess what? You beat our B team with your A team.

Also, it's just pre-season so relax. You guys showed that you're a team with excellent depth, but you need more than that to go deep in the playoffs. I guess we'll see how the free-flowing offensive style works out for your team once you face a tough team like the Flyers in the playoffs.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:55 AM
centrehice

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Two things. Yes, we beat your B team with our A team - but guess what? You beat our B team with your A team.

Also, it's just pre-season so relax. You guys showed that you're a team with excellent depth, but you need more than that to go deep in the playoffs. I guess we'll see how the free-flowing offensive style works out for your team once you face a tough team like the Flyers in the playoffs.
1 thing:

Yesterday was FAR from our A team, and your "B" team isn't much of a B team with pretty much your entire roster, minus what? 5-8 guys? We had 10 nhl regulars yesterday and 5 tonight.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:17 AM
znk

Quote:

Actually our B- team beat your B+ team and your A team beat our C team.

Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins werent dressed for these 2 games.
A.Kost-Plekanec-Kovalev was not dressed tonight.
Those are arguably our top 2 lines.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:46 AM
Kruky

I was at the game, kind of boring except the first 35 seconds.

Russel = Ah, nope, never.
Anderson = Ah, worst guy on the ice tonight.
Belle = See above, a little better.

Glumac = Hmmm, interesting, didn't look out of place, not bad of a hockey player. Not ready, might never be but had a good game.

Chipper = Best guy on the ice tonight, scored, won faceoffs, impressed.

Dandenault = pretty good game considering the linemates he played with.

Latendresse = a few flashes here and there, not NHL ready but better then I expected. Of course I'm talking about Olivier.

Latendresse = A few hits, didn't seem like he cared much however. Skates better then last year thats for sure.

Lang = Same as above without the hits and skating.

Paciorety = Not quite ready yet but close. Fights well along the boards, made 2 bad passes that caused turnaround but all in all, impressed.

White = impressive, most impressive, Obi-wan as taught him well. Seriously though was good tonight.

Komi/Bouillon/Gorges/S.Kosty = did their job concidering the lineup we had.

Denis = not bad a game, a few good saves, not much luck on the goals except maybe Neils but it was a shot from the slot.

Desjardins = Very nice glove save. Good third period. Might be ahead of Denis right now.

Beauregard = Meh, ok I guess

Sens fans cheering a big win = Priceless

Old
09-28-2008, 02:57 AM
King City Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruky View Post
I was at the game, kind of boring except the first 35 seconds.

Sens fans cheering a big win = Priceless

Old
09-28-2008, 03:45 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasainteflanelle View Post
zomg! we're not gonna make the playoffs
The apocalypse is near!!!

I remember a few years ago in the early 2000s when the Habs finished 7-1 in the pre-season. I was thinking about June right there. They missed the playoffs. To me, the only game of importance in the pre-season is the last one where your A team usually suits up. It is important to get into good habits and gel with your team mates before starting the season.

Old
09-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
okay, Just got home from the club, went out with a friend after the game

I drank abit to much so I dont remember much but I do remember anderson SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!

White, Russel, Anderson, Valentenko, Lehoux, O. Latendresse and Glumac,Denis definatly need to be cut..and fast

Old
09-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
White, Russel, Anderson, Valentenko, Lehoux, O. Latendresse and Glumac,Denis definatly need to be cut..and fast

Any particular reason one of our top D prospects shouldn't get valuable experience in another meaningless game? Any reason why a junior player like Subban should see more games over a guy with AHL experience?

I'm starting to see an urgency from the majority of the board to see a full NHL lineup in the rest of the preseason games. It's a far cry from the mantras a week ago:
-we don't want our veterans getting injured in a meaningless game
-we want to be able to see our prospects playing against NHL talent, especially ones that are high on the call-up list

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 09-28-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old
09-28-2008, 08:07 AM
D3nZ

I think it was an obvious result considering the team we had.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

You know what's funny? Although the 5-0 team looked good on the ice, we have yet to dress our A team yet and look at how bad we made the Sens look. Heck, they couldn't spank our AHL team with pretty much a full line-up! It will be a long season in Ottawa me thinks...

Old
09-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
You know what's funny? Although the 5-0 team looked good on the ice, we have yet to dress our A team yet and look at how bad we made the Sens look. Heck, they couldn't spank our AHL team with pretty much a full line-up! It will be a long season in Ottawa me thinks...
Preseason doesn't matter AT ALL. I hate posts like this, I see them all over HFboards, I don't care if the Bulldogs B team beats the Redwings A team it doesn't matter.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Preseason doesn't matter AT ALL. I hate posts like this, I see them all over HFboards, I don't care if the Bulldogs B team beats the Redwings A team it doesn't matter.
Pre-Season: It's serious business.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:46 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Who cares if one is over his head? That is the nature of dialogue. It may help if you discussed a poster's points rather than make presumptions he is an idiot. Can you not afford to pay your freight here and be a sponser?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
We can make plausible judgments about about performance and guess reasonably accurately about which prospects should be kept in Montréal but IMO we're over our heads when we presume to dictate how much to pay a player.

This is a general comment rather than one addressed specifically to you.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:46 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Pre-Season: It's serious business.
Pre season = Cup

Old
09-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
I fully agree that pre-season doesn't mean much as teams will experiment. But when a team like the Sens who fields their NHL line-up against an AHL caliber line-up, and you can't dominate that game, I'm worried if I'm the coach. Pre-season, scrimmage or regular season.

Closed Thread