HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather Steps Down as Coach!

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 01:34 AM
Rodent

vCash: 500
Sather Steps Down!

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/16511.htm

Old
02-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Muckalt

You beat me to it. This is truly a sad day in New York Rangers history.

Old
02-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
I'm amazed. Who clued Little Jimmy in?

Anyways, good move, be even better if it leads to his firing as GM at the end of the season.

Old
02-25-2004, 01:41 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

You guys can rejoice a little bit. The job is only half done, he must be fired as GM and Emporer as well. Step in the right direction.

Old
02-25-2004, 01:41 AM
Muckalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23
I'm amazed. Who clued Little Jimmy in?

Anyways, good move, be even better if it leads to his firing as GM at the end of the season.
That's not happening any time soon. Dolan is reportedly mesmerized by Slats' charisma and gift of gab.

Old
02-25-2004, 01:45 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Hooray! :p

Old
02-25-2004, 01:45 AM
NYR2

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!

Old
02-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckler
You beat me to it. This is truly a sad day in New York Rangers history.
Yeah. And I beat King to it, too!

Old
02-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Rodent

My formal thoughts here:

http://hockeyrodent.com

Old
02-25-2004, 01:57 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Holy ****!!! Is it Christmas? I guess only half the job is done...

Old
02-25-2004, 02:02 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
My formal thoughts here:

http://hockeyrodent.com
Brilliant article. Were you a journalism major in college, that's fine work.

Old
02-25-2004, 02:10 AM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
Holy ****!!! Is it Christmas? I guess only half the job is done...
Sure feels like it! Think of it this way... only half the job may be done, but it's one step closer. At least he's not the coach anymore. BABY STEPS LOL.

If he's fired I may just cry tears of joy.

Old
02-25-2004, 02:13 AM
Muckalt

Old
02-25-2004, 02:15 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Brilliant article. Were you a journalism major in college, that's fine work.
Ummm, gosh. Thanks. But I think you must be referring to the second piece "House of Cards". The Sather snippet was five column-inches of scutwork.

And no. I was in engineering school, designing faulty optics for the Hubble Space Telescope.

Old
02-25-2004, 02:53 AM
ap215

I'll celebrate once he's not the president and GM of this team anymore.

Old
02-25-2004, 03:07 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
That's too true. I am very scared, terrified is a better word, that Sather once again worked his magic over Dolan in that meeting, convincing him that the team will do much better with him focusing 100% on GM duties, and that he will remain next season once he finds a coach...

Old
02-25-2004, 05:37 AM
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
That's too true. I am very scared, terrified is a better word, that Sather once again worked his magic over Dolan in that meeting, convincing him that the team will do much better with him focusing 100% on GM duties, and that he will remain next season once he finds a coach...
Yeah...who in their right mind will want to work under this excuse of a GM ? If Sather stays, even if only as a GM, there will be no new direction for this team. The only thing we will get is another puppet at the end of the walkie talkie, with his hands tied from making players accountable :mad:

Old
02-25-2004, 06:39 AM
coachbob

What a joke! Sather STEPS down. What coach who sucks so bad gets the chance to "step down". If the guy had any credibility whatsoever, he would have FIRED himself. TIME TO LEAVE THE WHOLE PARTY SLATS. What a perfect time for Dolan to rid himself of this pretend GM. Dolan blew this one and the misery will continue. I feel sooooooo sorry for you Ranger fans.

Old
02-25-2004, 07:07 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Big freakin' deal

Just rearranging the deck chairs of the Titanic....After it hit the iceberg.

Old
02-25-2004, 07:07 AM
Davisian

Rodent-

Agreed completely with the house of cards, as each of those you highlighted were supposed to be core players, supposed to lead on the ice..

BUT-

One important mistake, Sather's quote was "If you don't make this deal, you're a MOUSE for life"

He did mention the Lion in the earlier part.. Guess he couldn't even get the whole "Lion/Lamb" metaphor right...

1 job down, 2 more to go..

Old
02-25-2004, 07:36 AM
Pearl Necklace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckler

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes,

Old
02-25-2004, 07:53 AM
True Blue

Not nearly enough. We need Jackass completely out of the picture. Not just removed as coach. He has been every bit the disaster as a GM as he has been as a coach. How's that "pump" doing? You know, the one ready to produce young players?
While he remains as GM & President, he still guides (or is it misguides?) the team. You CANNOT go into a season w/ Renney as coach and Jackass as the GM. The results will be quite similar to this year. I was willing to give Renney a shot in the beginning of the year, but he has to take his share of the blame. After all, isn't it his "system"? We need to remove the ENTIRE Jackass taint. And that includes Renney.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:10 AM
Fletch

Unfortunately..

what this really means is that Sather's going to get busy as 'GM' and start to make things happen to try and secure his 'job'. If this was mid-January, I would view it as a positive, being that the Rangers are all but out of it, it's a neutral-negative.

And honestly, nobody expected an outsider to come in and finished the season, did they? And I would be willing to bet that no outsider would take the job - for what? Wit the GM position potentially in jeopardy any coach being hired now may be fired if a new regime comes in.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Actually, Fletch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
what this really means is that Sather's going to get busy as 'GM' and start to make things happen to try and secure his 'job'. If this was mid-January, I would view it as a positive, being that the Rangers are all but out of it, it's a neutral-negative.

And honestly, nobody expected an outsider to come in and finished the season, did they? And I would be willing to bet that no outsider would take the job - for what? Wit the GM position potentially in jeopardy any coach being hired now may be fired if a new regime comes in.
I think of it in the opposite manner. If this was mid-January, we'd see Sather trying to make deals to save the season/make the playoffs. To me, this is a sign that somebody understand the situation the rangers are in. The next two weeks will go a long way to determining the future of the Rangers. If Sather does his job properly, (yeah, I know, what makes me think he'll start now?), there should be enough interest in the players on the current roster to really kickstart the replenishing of young assets. Kovalev and Leetch alone could bring in a windfall. Nedved and Poti could secure an asset or two. And, role players like Simon, Barnaby, Mironov and Rucinsky could add picks to increase organizational depth at draft time. We are already hearing interest in a multitude of players, and since only Chicago and washington have hit the market so far as sellers, now is the time for Sather to strike hard. I know people want to see Sather completely removed from the equation, but, given Little Jimmy's idol worship, I think that was too much to ask for at this stage.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
I see no need to be happy about this. All this tells us is that he is a coward who could no longer stand the heat and got out of the kitchen. If he is not completely gone by next year there is no way i am renewing my seats.

Lets face it I will be watching the games from home next year. :mad:

Closed Thread