HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Critical year for Upshall?

Old
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
BlackTuuk

vCash: 500
Critical year for Upshall?

Given his high draft position, does anyone think that Upshall has somewhat underperformed(in their opinion)?

It must be noted that he has tallied points in about half of the games in which he actually played. It should be credited, too, that he is gritty and does do the stuff that does not reflect in statistics, not unlike Hartnell.

What do people think his potential is with a full season? 50-60 points? It will be nice to see him play a full campaign, but he appears to be quite injury-prone. At least he is pretty cheap, now.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:58 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
H needs to stay healthy and focused. He can probably be a 25-25-50 guy.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:00 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Not every player develops into a top 6 player. To me Upshall looks likes he's on his way to being a solid 3rd line player over his career, and theres nothing wrong with that.

If we want to keep him, thats good news for us, too. He should be affordable for the foreseeable future.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I think Upshall is an amazing third line player as it is. I hope we keep him for a long time. He will be a cheap player.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
Given his high draft position, does anyone think that Upshall has somewhat underperformed(in their opinion)?

It must be noted that he has tallied points in about half of the games in which he actually played. It should be credited, too, that he is gritty and does do the stuff that does not reflect in statistics, not unlike Hartnell.

What do people think his potential is with a full season? 50-60 points? It will be nice to see him play a full campaign, but he appears to be quite injury-prone. At least he is pretty cheap, now.
While I like Upshall and what he brings, he is only a third line guy who is easily replaceable. If he wants to much money he can walk. I'm more concerned with keeping together Richards, Carter, Timonen, Coburn, Gagne, Briere and the top 2 line guys over Upshall.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
While I like Upshall and what he brings, he is only a third line guy who is easily replaceable. If he wants to much money he can walk. I'm more concerned with keeping together Richards, Carter, Timonen, Coburn, Gagne, Briere and the top 2 line guys over Upshall.
I suppose you're right. I mean, he was scratched sometimes last year. It may happen more frequently this year, too, with the budding forward core that is developing (Nodll, Downie, Giroux, and possibly, Matsumoto).

Old
07-28-2008, 01:15 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
I suppose you're right. I mean, he was scratched sometimes last year. It may happen more frequently this year, too, with the budding forward core that is developing (Nodll, Downie, Giroux, and possibly, Matsumoto).
hopefully Stevens learned his lesson, when you are in a slump DONT SCRATCH UPSHALL!!!

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Upshall brings a lot to the table that those guys don't...and I don't think Matsumoto is likely to replace him on the wing just yet. Given minutes and a consistent roster spot, Upshall is more than capable of being a 20 goal scorer on the third line of this roster...I'm not sure what is wrong with that, and it's what he was basically doing last year.

Upshall is a fast, aggravating player, who is a pain in the ass to play with and is capable of hurting teams offensively. I'm very happy with him on the third line.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:43 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I do think this is a critical year for Upshall. What's frustrating is...if he has the kind of year I think he's capable of having, it's probably going to be difficult to keep him around considering how many high paid forwards we will already have. If he doesn't produce much this year and also faces injuries again, it'll be frustrating to not be getting more out of him, but on the flip side...we may actually be able to keep him if that happens. Maybe we could lock him in for a few years at a reasonable rate, and then watch him overachieve and be the player I think he can be for the next few years.

Either scenario seems unlikely. If he has a great year, it'll probably be tough to resign him. And if he has an average or poor year, the Flyers may very well not be interested in resigning him considering the depth in the system.

I absolutely love Upshall, and I've stated a number of times that I think he can produce a lot more than we've seen. At the same time though....there are times when I watch him, and I have to admit that it seems like he just doesn't have the hands to be very effective offensively. No matter what, the guy is an absolutely incredible 3rd liner. There were more nights than I can count this past season where he was the most energetic player on the ice. He's way above average in the departments of speed and skating. And pound for pound, he's one of the best hitters in the league.

When it comes down to it, he's one of my favorite players to watch, and I just really hope we find a way to keep him. And I still think he's a damn good bargain at $1.2m even when he's not producing much, considering all the other things he brings to the team. If you're talking about Hartnell at $4.2, or Upshall at $1.2...give me Upshall every day of the week.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:47 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:

Old
07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I think Upshall's biggest problem is his style of play, which is simply not conducive to a very long career. I imagine he is going to be in and out of the lineup due to injuries for most of his career. All his offence seems to come from extremely hard work, which will likely keep him as a very streaky scorer for as long as he plays.

That being said, he doesn't need to score to be effective, he simply needs to play like a psycho every night and aggravate the opposition. I don't think Upshall is ever going to crack the top two lines, there is simply too much talent now, but he is a perfect fit for the third line.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:56 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
In all honesty I will be a little suprised if he is on the team next year. Especially with JVR likely coming in next season.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
In all honesty I will be a little suprised if he is on the team next year. Especially with JVR likely coming in next season.
See, I'm not sure JVR should really be pushing on Upshall too much...as JVR isn't going to be filling that role at all, and some of the other top 6 guys can't really bring Upshall's element to the team either (just Hartnell, really...and Downie when he makes the team).

As of now, it seems JVR will simply take Knuble's roster spot.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Not every player develops into a top 6 player. To me Upshall looks likes he's on his way to being a solid 3rd line player over his career, and theres nothing wrong with that.

If we want to keep him, thats good news for us, too. He should be affordable for the foreseeable future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
I think Upshall is an amazing third line player as it is. I hope we keep him for a long time. He will be a cheap player.
Yea this sums it up for me. Great 3rd line player/ energy guy, cant expect too much more.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Shoeny

upshall is effective with the amount of ice time he gets. if lupul gets 4 mil and hartnell gets 4 mill and the league min is what 750k, upshall is a steal bec of the energy he brings every game. and dont forget his most important part on the team.....playing on carters wing.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i want to keep upshall. he's a perfect 3rd line guy, is never going to make a fortune on our cap, and is talented enough to carry top-6 minutes if (for the flyers, its "when") there are injuries to our higher lines. he's also a big part of the core and the locker room and is well-liked by the rest of the team. the fact that he's absolutely in love with this city and team makes me want to keep him here for a long time.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:49 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
See, I'm not sure JVR should really be pushing on Upshall too much...as JVR isn't going to be filling that role at all, and some of the other top 6 guys can't really bring Upshall's element to the team either (just Hartnell, really...and Downie when he makes the team).

well I didnt mean taking his role on the team, I feel JVR will be taking his spot on the roster. But you are probably right about taking him taking Knuble's roster spot. I want to keep Upshall as much as anyone but if he busts out and has a big year as some people are projecting 25-25, I doubt we can afford to keep him.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:28 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Upshall brings a lot to the table that those guys don't...and I don't think Matsumoto is likely to replace him on the wing just yet. Given minutes and a consistent roster spot, Upshall is more than capable of being a 20 goal scorer on the third line of this roster...I'm not sure what is wrong with that, and it's what he was basically doing last year.

Upshall is a fast, aggravating player, who is a pain in the ass to play with and is capable of hurting teams offensively. I'm very happy with him on the third line.
I agree with pretty much all of this and a lot of what others have said too. However, I DO think this is a make-or-break season for Upshall. Unless he really improves his game and makes himself a vital part of our team I think he will be used as part of a trade package near the trade deadline to bring in some playoff help (possible J-Bo ).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
rban*

UPSHALL seems to fall into a category that is very difficult on a few levels: a great 3rd line player who can also fill in on the top two lines in a pinch (in case of injuries etc).

The problem with these types of players is that they HAVE to be cheap , because altho they are extremely useful, the team's priorities will center around Top Six forwards, leading Dmen, and possibly great goaltending. Only AFTER these requirements are adequately met, then teams can work on players like Upshall.

The question always is: after paying for a good Top Six forward corps, 2-3 standout Dmen, and a good goalie, how much can a team afford to pay for someone like Upshall? On OTTAWA, Chris Kelly and Vermette were in similar situations: signing them fell below the requirements of signing long-term contracts with the Big Three forwards, Fisher, as well as the defense tandem of Phillips and Volchenkov.

Philly seems to have their Top Six locked up, with Richards/Gagne/Carter/Lupul/Hartnell/Briere.

Which means Upshall can stay only if his money demands are low enough to be met after signing Coburn and getting another Dman.

After all the conversation, I am still unclear if a combination of saying goodbye to KNUBLE and HATCHER would generate enough capspace to:

> give Coburn a raise and keep him longterm and
> get another good Dman and lock up long term

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I dont necessarily agree that he is that replacable. Yes, I am sure there are other guys that might offer his skillset, but too many people underrate the importance of chemistry on the team. Something that I thing is a HUGE factor in this team playing the way they did last year despite several on ice problems.

Quote:

Agreed. JVR and Upshall fill two different roles. However, I also though Giroux might be taking Lupul's so who knows. Obviously someone else that is currently one of our top 6 winger is going to move at some point.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
rban*

a few caveats, BTW

A few caveats to this whole discussion:

IF the team finds that KNUBLE this year has degraded significantly due to age, then Philly may keep UPSHALL as long as he asks for the same or less money than KNUBLE

IF GAGNE has not recovered from concussion properly, Philly needs to hang on to all the good wingers, so UPSHALL gets a better chance of staying.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:00 PM
jb**

i just hope homer or someone had a talk with him about jerking his head back like he just got shot by a machine gun every time someone touches his head. it is embarssing for him and the team.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
mm6492

upshall is my favorite player. I hope we can keep him here and he devlops into a very, very solid 3rd liner. He is a good winger for carter because of there speed, and he is a great agitator. But this is a big year for him

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:23 PM
LOD1997

I think that Upshall will not be resigned simply because van reimsdyk will be the third line LW a season from now. Don't get me wrong I like Upshall as player but when you have a blue chip prospect with the talent of reims you would be hard pressed not to play the kid.

LOD1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOD1997 View Post
I think that Upshall will not be resigned simply because van reimsdyk will be the third line LW a season from now. Don't get me wrong I like Upshall as player but when you have a blue chip prospect with the talent of reims you would be hard pressed not to play the kid.
gagne-briere-hartnell
JvR-richards-lupul
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Cote-Metro-???

but then downie doesnt have a spot again

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote