HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top Under-Achieving Players

Old
09-27-2008, 08:37 PM
SCORE4

vCash: 500
Top Under-Achieving Players

Who are some guys that you saw play that one night looked like the absolute best player on the planet .... and the next night look like a bum?

The first guy I think of would be Kent Nilsson. Back in the early '80's, he would string together 3 or 4 great games .... rack up 10 or 12 points .... then completely disappear for the next 5 or 6. He used to drive me nuts, because it was obvious that if he'd been willing to go every night, he'd have been right behind Gretzky for the scoring lead. I've heard he had no heart, no guts and very little interest. Sometimes it appeared that way.

Another guy who impressed me from time to time was Ian Turnbull. Some nights he appeared to be in the class of Park, Potvin and Robinson. Other nights he looked like he'd rather be somewhere else. On quite a few occasions, he out did his teammate Borje Salming, but would slide back into his "I don't care mode." Another hard guy to figure out .... he could have been an all time great.

A more recent example for me would be Alexander Mogilny. If this guy had actually wanted to compete each and every night, who knows what he could have accomplished. Maybe 76 goals a year is a bit much to expect, but I think he should have far more than he eventually ended up with. He played with far too little interest in far too many games.

Any others? ....

SCORE4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I really think Jagr could have cracked 2,000 points if his heart was in the game.

Todd Bertuzzi could have been a next-level player if he had a smidge more work ethic.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Infinite Vision*

Kovalev was the first guy I thought of when I read the title, Fedorov after his first 5 or 6 years looked like he was still capable of putting up better numbers than he did. I also agree with Mogilny, he would go back and forth from good to bad seasons.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Infinite Vision*

Jagr is also a guy who was known for not always giving it his all, but it's hard to call a guy with 5 Art Ross trophies an under-achiever.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:30 PM
MXD

For ... older ... guys...

Would you consider Dale Tallon and Dale McCourt underachievers or simply overrated at junior level?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Big Phil

This thread is screaming out Alexei Yashin's name. Few players with his talent disapeared at playoff time like him

Turgeon is another one. On the surface he had the skill and even you look solely at his numbers there is nothing to complain about. But when you put up 106 points as a 20 year old in the NHL bigger things are expected out of you. He was 7th in scoring that year. But other than '93 he never had another elite season and even in '90 his tin man reputation started in the playoffs

Mike Richter. How can you steal a World Cup and play stellar in a Stanley Cup win but miss the playoffs 6 years in a row? Was never a consistent threat

Here's a new one: Guy Lafleur. Look, he's one of the greatest talents of all time and few have had the careers he had. But he was a chain smoker and didnt take proper care of his body outside the rink. He was reckless. Rumour has it that a young Wayne Gretzky was in a car with him during one of his accidents. Either way Lafleur was hurt and was never the same afterwards

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:56 PM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
For ... older ... guys...

Would you consider Dale Tallon and Dale McCourt underachievers or simply overrated at junior level?
Overrated.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:06 PM
OnePoll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This thread is screaming out Alexei Yashin's name. Few players with his talent disapeared at playoff time like him

Turgeon is another one. On the surface he had the skill and even you look solely at his numbers there is nothing to complain about. But when you put up 106 points as a 20 year old in the NHL bigger things are expected out of you. He was 7th in scoring that year. But other than '93 he never had another elite season and even in '90 his tin man reputation started in the playoffs

Mike Richter. How can you steal a World Cup and play stellar in a Stanley Cup win but miss the playoffs 6 years in a row? Was never a consistent threat

Here's a new one: Guy Lafleur. Look, he's one of the greatest talents of all time and few have had the careers he had. But he was a chain smoker and didnt take proper care of his body outside the rink. He was reckless. Rumour has it that a young Wayne Gretzky was in a car with him during one of his accidents. Either way Lafleur was hurt and was never the same afterwards
In 1995-96, in my opinion, Turgeon was a superstar, he was Habs best player easily, 38-58-96 +19.

1993-94, 38-56-94 in only 69 games.

So in my books thats 4 elite season with 4 "star" seasons and a bunch of average season for him by his standard.

In which year was that car accident?

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Sylvain Turgeon, Viktor Kozlov and Jimmy Carson all come to mind.

As a Canucks fan I remember how disappointed we were with Vladimir Krutov. He was supposed to be the member of the KLM line that was most suited for North American hockey. Unfortunately, without the regimented training/lifestyle of the Red Army squad, he was free to pursue hot dogs instead of loose pucks.
Don Cherry said it best, "Krutov? Ha! Cruton, better."

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Passchendaele

Daigle?

I don't think he would've been as good as Lemieux, but I think he would've been a decent 1st liner.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Fredrik_71

Maybe not an true underachiever but Lindros comes to my mind. He could have had an amazing carrer but....

/Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik_71 View Post
Maybe not an true underachiever but Lindros comes to my mind. He could have had an amazing carrer but....

/Cheers
How does Scott Stevens shoulder equal underachieving?

Walkingthroughforest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:14 PM
OnePoll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik_71 View Post

/Cheers
Injury. Its not the same thing.

OnePoll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Sergei Fedorov. He is one of the greatest player ever in terms of raw talent. Also, Forsberg would win a lot more hardware if he was healthy for his entire career.
Jagr would be even more successful if he matured earlier.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Randall Graves*

Bertuzzi, Jagr, Kovalev as has been mentioned.

Anyone remember Alexei Smirnov? highly touted Russian, first NHL game has 3 or 4 points, and falls off the face of the earth right after that. He had so much talent but just no work ethic

Viktor Kozlov to, but he was pretty good last year

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:25 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Sergei Fedorov. He is one of the greatest player ever in terms of raw talent. Also, Forsberg would win a lot more hardware if he was healthy for his entire career.
Jagr would be even more successful if he matured earlier.
i was really surprised when i saw his stats & thought that he had scored more.didn't realize at the time,that he missed a few games.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Sergei Fedorov. He is one of the greatest player ever in terms of raw talent.
For the regular season, this is the correct answer. He knew when to turn it on, though, and usually did.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Alexandre Daigle.

09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
noobman

Is it too early to throw Trent Hunter's name into this thread?? I really thought he was going to emerge as a very good two way forward (think Marco Sturm with more offensive production) but he never really got there.

Chad Kilger
comes to mind. He was a top 10 draft pick in his day.

Sergei Federov is another player whose lack of production never ceases to amaze me. He was one of the smoothest skaters I've ever seen, he was great defensively, and he had all of the offensive tools you could ask for...and yet he only had two 100 point seasons.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post

Anyone remember Alexei Smirnov? highly touted Russian, first NHL game has 3 or 4 points, and falls off the face of the earth right after that. He had so much talent but just no work ethic
that was Stanislav Chistov.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:26 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Is it too early to throw Trent Hunter's name into this thread?? I really thought he was going to emerge as a very good two way forward (think Marco Sturm with more offensive production) but he never really got there.

Chad Kilger
comes to mind. He was a top 10 draft pick in his day.
I think those two are closer to busts than underachievers. But they're NHL regulars so we can't call them busts.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:22 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Federov is a perfect example. After his Hart season he clear played like he had nothing to prove and only played to his full potential during the playoffs. Could have challenged for title of best 2-way forward ever.

09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
Todd Bertuzzi could have been a next-level player if he had a smidge more work ethic.
I actually think it's a case of Bertuzzi over-achieving in his great years. I really think he was meant to be a 30 goal scorer, 60 pt guy.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I think Brian Savage underachieved. He was a great skater, had a great nose for the net and nice hands. What he didn't have was a work ethic. Mark Recchi used to make fun of his physique. With Gary Roberts work ethic and commitment to fitness, Brian Savage would have been a star in the NHL.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:30 AM
V-2 Schneider

Savage's shot is a question mark.He couldn't find openings unlike real shooters like Bondra,Hull,LeClair and others.He would get so many scoring chances and he couldn't bury them.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote