HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top Under-Achieving Players

Old
09-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Alex Zhamnov!

He never played horrible but he never had heart. He had the skills to be one of the top C of his generation. The only time i saw him happy and show love of the game was when he played on the Blackhawk down line in Philly with Amonte and Roenick during the 04 playoffs.

I will admit that Hawks fans never really gave the guy a fair shot. He was booed by many during his start here in Chicago because he was the guy who was replacing Roenick. He had good years in Chicago but never really was well liked by Hawks fans.

I liked him because him and Amonte played well together for years and formed a good tandem but he could have been so much better.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:15 PM
wilkrogers

vCash: 500
jagr could have done more if hed wanted to

wilkrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:32 PM
bruinsfan46

Managed a damn fine career but Frank Mahovlich didn't always turn it on as much as he could of.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Craig Janney

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
In 1995-96, in my opinion, Turgeon was a superstar, he was Habs best player easily, 38-58-96 +19.
But that only placed him at 18th in scoring that year. Not bad, but not a superstar either. And he didnt birng much more to the table. Fleury had the same amount of points that year too, but most will agree he brings more on the ice

Quote:
1993-94, 38-56-94 in only 69 games.
Stats wise it isnt bad. I forget who keeps saying it around here but isnt there a quote in The Hockey News yearbook that year saying he had the 94 most forgettable points you'll ever see?

Quote:
In which year was that car accident?
I believe the car accident was 1981. I'd be lying if I said I knew the whole story and as to WHY Gretzky was in the car with him, but it has leaked out as a rumour in recent years. I think Lafleur had another one in 1980 in which he was never the same after. Anyone have some exact dates for that?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastvanmungo View Post
As a Canucks fan I remember how disappointed we were with Vladimir Krutov. He was supposed to be the member of the KLM line that was most suited for North American hockey. Unfortunately, without the regimented training/lifestyle of the Red Army squad, he was free to pursue hot dogs instead of loose pucks.
Don Cherry said it best, "Krutov? Ha! Cruton, better."
There's good reason to believe that Krutov was using steroids during his glory years.
He knew he was going to fall flat on his face off the juice in the NHL and thus didn't bother trying. He got his one year of north american paychecks and called it a day.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Crosbyfan

Eric Nesterenko

Stephane Richer

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:30 AM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORE4 View Post

Another guy who impressed me from time to time was Ian Turnbull. Some nights he appeared to be in the class of Park, Potvin and Robinson. Other nights he looked like he'd rather be somewhere else. On quite a few occasions, he out did his teammate Borje Salming, but would slide back into his "I don't care mode." Another hard guy to figure out .... he could have been an all time great.
Turnbull is an interesting case. A lot of people forget that when the Leafs upset the Islanders in `78, they did it without Borje Salming who had been knocked out of the series early after getting clipped in the eye with a stick. After that, Turnbull completely took over and was outstanding at both ends of the rink. But he didn't show that consistently. All too often I remember him always trying to do an end-to-end rush, and when the inevitable turnover happened he would slowly glide around and coast back behind the play.

In the Andrew Podnieks book Players, it's implied that Turnbull wasn't that dedicated when it came to hockey:

"Laid back, casual, relaxed, someone who loved good food, good drink and a late night, Turnbull was a tremendous talent gone to waste from lack of a push....He could have been so much better than he was."

Another example from the 70s would be Eric Vail. He had a great shot. Larry Robinson once said that Vail was one of the few scorers who had Ken Dryden's number. He had 39 goals in his rookie season, won the Calder and looked to be headed for a great career. But he was never able to improve on it and often seemed disinterested when he played.

reckoning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post

Another example from the 70s would be Eric Vail. He had a great shot. Larry Robinson once said that Vail was one of the few scorers who had Ken Dryden's number. He had 39 goals in his rookie season, won the Calder and looked to be headed for a great career. But he was never able to improve on it and often seemed disinterested when he played.
Vail had a few good years. Him and Steve Vickers both Calder winners of the 70's had some good years and some allstar appearances (Vail 1, Vickers 2) but both never seemed to put it together and i believe both played there final year in 81-82 season.

Guys are somewhat comparable to Sergei Samsonov in the modern day of Calder underachievers.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Eric Nesterenko

Stephane Richer
Nesterenko is a good choice. Cameup to the Leafs as a very heralded player. Was even compared to Beliveau. Great skater but couldn't score to save his life. Topped out at 20 goals & 40 points. Had a long career & became known for his checking ability.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:12 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Turnbull is an interesting case. A lot of people forget that when the Leafs upset the Islanders in `78, they did it without Borje Salming who had been knocked out of the series early after getting clipped in the eye with a stick. After that, Turnbull completely took over and was outstanding at both ends of the rink. But he didn't show that consistently. All too often I remember him always trying to do an end-to-end rush, and when the inevitable turnover happened he would slowly glide around and coast back behind the play.

In the Andrew Podnieks book Players, it's implied that Turnbull wasn't that dedicated when it came to hockey:

"Laid back, casual, relaxed, someone who loved good food, good drink and a late night, Turnbull was a tremendous talent gone to waste from lack of a push....He could have been so much better than he was."

I watched Turnbull's entire junior career and thought he was going to be a superstar. Wrong again.

I thought Robert Picard was going to be an elite d man as well. He seemed to have it all, size,mean streak, looked mobile at that level, but he never quite sustained it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Nesterenko is a good choice. Cameup to the Leafs as a very heralded player. Was even compared to Beliveau. Great skater but couldn't score to save his life. Topped out at 20 goals & 40 points. Had a long career & became known for his checking ability.
I read some articles about him, he led an odd life, in that he wasn't what we expect in a player. He didn't seem committed to being a great player.

Old
10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
specteur

c'mon

I'd say alexandre Daigle and any leaf player

specteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:27 PM
pappyline

Very, very eccentric. Joe Pelletier has an interesting write-up.

http://blackhawkslegends.blogspot.co...esterenko.html

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Very, very eccentric. Joe Pelletier has an interesting write-up.

http://blackhawkslegends.blogspot.co...esterenko.html
thanks, that's the story that I remembered. Interesting, my recollection of him was of someone who was basically the 10th forward in the days when you dressed 11, just a name when you start throwing out obscure names from the past.

I wouldn't have imagined that more was expected.

Speaking of obscure names, I represent a company based in sw Ontario, their plant manager is a dyed in the wool Hawks fan. Every couple of weeks I have the receptionist tell him that a Mr...... called for him, didn't leave a number, will call back. I just pick a random Chicago name, Cliff Koroll, Murray Bannerman, Lou Angotti. It's been going on for awhile and he hasn't figured out who's tormenting him yet. I'll do a Nesterenko mention today.

Old
10-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
thanks, that's the story that I remembered. Interesting, my recollection of him was of someone who was basically the 10th forward in the days when you dressed 11, just a name when you start throwing out obscure names from the past.

I wouldn't have imagined that more was expected.

Speaking of obscure names, I represent a company based in sw Ontario, their plant manager is a dyed in the wool Hawks fan. Every couple of weeks I have the receptionist tell him that a Mr...... called for him, didn't leave a number, will call back. I just pick a random Chicago name, Cliff Koroll, Murray Bannerman, Lou Angotti. It's been going on for awhile and he hasn't figured out who's tormenting him yet. I'll do a Nesterenko mention today.
AHA... it's you!!!

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
morrisb

underachiever

jason Bonsiengnor -sp

morrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
iamtherunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Managed a damn fine career but Frank Mahovlich didn't always turn it on as much as he could of.
The man had several nervous breakdowns because of the pressure put on him by coaches, I think you should cut him some slack.

iamtherunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:14 PM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:
I thought Robert Picard was going to be an elite d man as well. He seemed to have it all, size,mean streak, looked mobile at that level, but he never quite sustained it.
No hockey sense.He joins a long list with players like Kilger, Dykhuis,Slaney,etc.

BTW, I have a close pal who's ladyfriend is chummy with Nesterenko and says he thinks Red Fisher gets a lot of his stuff wrong.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:54 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehcheat View Post
The man had several nervous breakdowns because of the pressure put on him by coaches, I think you should cut him some slack.
The thing about Frank is that he was an underachiever, but not a slight against him. He underachieved because Punch Implach was too full of himself to properly use one of the best talents in history.

10-10-2008, 07:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastvanmungo View Post
AHA... it's you!!!
Dennis Dejordy wants to know if you're free for lunch.

Old
10-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Riffo*

Radek Bonk, Roman Hamrlik, Pat Falloon, Todd Warriner, Chris Gratton

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:46 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Julien View Post
Radek Bonk, Roman Hamrlik, Pat Falloon, Todd Warriner, Chris Gratton
Has Hamrlik really been an underachiever ? He's had a solid career. I was very impressed last year in terms of defensive play and leadersip, and had a totally different opinion of him as the year wore on.

Sometimes expectations have nothing to do with the player.

Old
10-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Dennis Dejordy wants to know if you're free for lunch.

Can't... my secretary has me booked for lunch with some guy named Tom Lysiak.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 09:56 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I think Brian Savage underachieved. He was a great skater, had a great nose for the net and nice hands. What he didn't have was a work ethic. Mark Recchi used to make fun of his physique. With Gary Roberts work ethic and commitment to fitness, Brian Savage would have been a star in the NHL.
Savage had tunnel-like vision, and was kinda jinxed.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote