HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Scott Gomez and others gaining speed?

Old
10-05-2008, 06:23 PM
gilles lupien

vCash: 500
Scott Gomez and others gaining speed?

I posted this in the Ranger board but I think maybe you guys here might be better able to help..

I have to say, it's so much fun watching Gomez skate. Seriously one of the best skaters in the league.

During the game, it was mentioned that Gomez did a lot of training over the summer to work on his speed. Anyone have any idea what specifically a player like him would do off-ice to gain speed? I'd love to know. Anyone know specifically what these guys did? Also, have you noticed how low to the ice Gomez skates? Looks like he's lower than anyone else in the league. Crazy. Anyone know what his deal is? Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

How do these guys train to gain speed? You'd think as pros, it'd be harder for them to get any faster than they already are by now? What are they doing? And has Gomez or anyone talked about his skating style?

Curious...

gilles lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 07:19 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles lupien View Post
I posted this in the Ranger board but I think maybe you guys here might be better able to help..

I have to say, it's so much fun watching Gomez skate. Seriously one of the best skaters in the league.

During the game, it was mentioned that Gomez did a lot of training over the summer to work on his speed. Anyone have any idea what specifically a player like him would do off-ice to gain speed? I'd love to know. Anyone know specifically what these guys did? Also, have you noticed how low to the ice Gomez skates? Looks like he's lower than anyone else in the league. Crazy. Anyone know what his deal is? Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

How do these guys train to gain speed? You'd think as pros, it'd be harder for them to get any faster than they already are by now? What are they doing? And has Gomez or anyone talked about his skating style?

Curious...
I don't know what he did, but I know what you should do in order to improve your speed.

I'm not sure about the terminology in english but I think it is dynamic training (effort dynamique in french). It consist in doing an explosive movement with a resistance. The explosive movement is not preceeded by a fast excentric contraction like we do in plyometric training. It's all about doing the concentric phase with a lot of speed with a resistance that allows you to produce a lot of power.

There's also the technical aspect that can be improved with movement analysis.

You can also improve your anaerobic endurance and aerobic capacity in order to be able to produce more work.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 07:22 PM
BadHammy*

That was the learned French effort and it was nice. But the North American answer is more precise, do more targeted training, get faster.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:12 AM
noobman

I've heard rumblings about something called overspeed theory. Design systems to assist players in quick sprints, turns, and bursts so that they move faster than they normally could. It reduces the use of the muscles, but it breaks the player's mental barrier of going at breakneck speed.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:01 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
I'll talk about the low to the ice part first, since it's easy and I know the answer.

The lower you get to the ice the longer a stroke you get with your leg, resulting in more push. It also allows you to get the direction of force more in line with the direction you want to go, resulting in a faster speed.

As for training, I don't know what he does, but it's probalby a variant on building op leg strength. The best way to do that for the muscles you use skating off ice is a bike- exercise or not. Some think that you need to petal really fast and get reps in, some think you need lots of resistance to strain the leg to build up the bulk muscle. Both will probably help.

Another thing I do to train is every time I'm out for a public skate or something, I wear pretty heavy ankle weights.

But if you're looking to build up your speed I would say hit the bikes.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I'll talk about the low to the ice part first, since it's easy and I know the answer.

The lower you get to the ice the longer a stroke you get with your leg, resulting in more push. It also allows you to get the direction of force more in line with the direction you want to go, resulting in a faster speed.

Another thing I do to train is every time I'm out for a public skate or something, I wear pretty heavy ankle weights.

But if you're looking to build up your speed I would say hit the bikes.
Be careful with those, a lot of people develop quad-hamstring problems due to imbalances from ankle weights.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:52 PM
sunb

Pavel Bure used to sprint, rollerblade and skate with a parachute tied behind his back. The idea is to add a tremendous amount of resistance to hold him back so he could work on his speed burst abilities.

The Sedins used to rollerblade uphill with tons of weights tied on them. However, this exercise is more of an effort to gain power and developing balance to a lower center of gravity.

sunb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

You guys wanted the proper terminology, here it is : "explosive weight training at the load that maximized mechanical power output"... That's what you should do in order to improve your speed. The concentric contraction should be done with as much speed as possible with a weight that results in the most power developped in the movement. You should consult a professional to build your workouts based on this principle.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

Run. Run. Run. Use a body parachute. run. run. run. that is how you get faster.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sprints, plyometrics, squats, power skating classes would all help.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Sprints, plyometrics, squats, power skating classes would all help.
I hear plyometrics is supposed to be great for increasing speed and explosiveness.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:38 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I hear plyometrics is supposed to be great for increasing speed and explosiveness.
According to the scientific data, dynamic efforts give a relative gain of 1 for explosiveness while plyometrics only yield a relative gain of 0,4. Draw your own conclusions.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:27 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
According to the scientific data, dynamic efforts give a relative gain of 1 for explosiveness while plyometrics only yield a relative gain of 0,4. Draw your own conclusions.
Where did you hear this and what do those numbers refer to? Do the numbers have units at all?

That claim is essentially useless without further information. Not doubting it, but the numbers mean nothing alone.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Scientific data from where? I can make "scientific data", doesn't mean it's true. Plus many kinds of plyometrics also increase your foot speed which lifting doesn't do. I'm not saying that lifting is bad or anything, a serious athlete should do both, which I'm sure most professionals do.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:39 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb View Post

The Sedins used to rollerblade uphill with tons of weights tied on them.
Yeah, if I tried that I would probably get killed.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote