2004 Entry Draaft...in Chaachies World.

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2004, 01:44 AM
chaachie12

vCash: 500
2004 Entry Draaft...in Chaachies World.

Whats up guys, long time no see...

I ws going over my McKeens this evening and I have come up with the perfect draft...here goes:

We will probably get the 10-15 pick. I say trde down into the low 20's and pick up another 3rd rounder. So here is how it pans out.

1. Travis Zajac, C 6-3, 205

Big skilled centerman. Good speed, patient and soft hands. Zajac would really round out our depth at Center. Probably a similar prospect to Mikko Koivu. Zajac is a better skater and Koivu might be a better playmaker (speculation of course). Zajac is headed for NoDak so we would get to watch him regularly.

2. Kris Chucko, RW 6-2, 190

I know, I know...where are teh defensemen? Settle down, they are coming. This would be too good to pass up. Chucko is on aa line with Zajac at Salmon Arm and they are dominant. Chucko, a Gopher commit, is gritty and mean. Think Danny Irmen with more skill. Chucko is more physical than Zajac. The two together would be quite the packge.

3a. Michael Funk, D 6-3, 180

And let the D-men roll. Funk, worth drafting on name alone, hasa some nice skills, but needs to put them all together. Word on the street is he has a heavy shot, it just isn't very acurate. Put up decent assist numbers in MJ's. A project type guy, but with good size and potential a worthy 3rd rounder.

3b. Casaey Borer, D 6-2, 205

Sticking with Wild tradition of drafting a MN kid in the 3rd round (well, Irmen will count for statistics sake) the Wild take this SCSU defensive standout. Solid, as you can see by his size, he is improving his skating and should only get better, while getting bigger. McKeens seems to think he is ice cold under pressure.

(McKeens helped form my opinions, so thank you McKeens.com!!)

So, what do you think? I know some of you believe D-men all the way in the first couple rounds. Can't sy I totally agree, but also wouldn't be disappointed if that happened. I still think our Forward depth is a bit iffy nd adding quality guys like Zajac nd Chucko would be huge. Anywys, talk amongst yourselves.

Old
02-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Sounds good to me -- in spite of the fact that the Wild have few defense prospects, the lack of physical forwards with skill is still the largest need on the team imo. When Dupuis leveled that Canuck behind the net the other night, you realize how rare it is to see a Wild forward do that. Welcome back Chaachie

Old
02-24-2004, 11:31 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Lack of physical forwards with skill?

Koivu, assist guy
Foy, Wanvig, Burns??

Old
02-24-2004, 02:15 PM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Lack of physical forwards with skill?

Koivu, assist guy
Foy, Wanvig, Burns??
Is Koivu physical? We know Burns isn't overly Physical. Wanvig has been given several chances and hasn't blown anyone way. Foy is 1 who seems to fit that mold, but you need more than 1. THese guys are big, and could learn the physical game, butI don't think We have an abundnce of these type guys.

Old
02-24-2004, 03:27 PM
SchultzWild10

I highly doubt that the Wild will draft like this. By looking at their previous drafts, it seems like they don't draft many college players. Your list is full of them. Having said that, I wouldn't mind if it went this way. The players you listed seem pretty solid.

Old
02-24-2004, 03:44 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Koivu is can be, Burns can be too, Wanvig is very physical. Koivu isn't going to be a PF but is big and while not overtly can be.

Old
02-24-2004, 04:38 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaachie12
Is Koivu physical? We know Burns isn't overly Physical. Wanvig has been given several chances and hasn't blown anyone way. Foy is 1 who seems to fit that mold, but you need more than 1. THese guys are big, and could learn the physical game, butI don't think We have an abundnce of these type guys.
Lately, Burns has been our most physical forward, finishing every single check. Big difference between Burns at the start of the season and current Burns. I'd definitely say he is physical.

Last edited by aylib: 02-24-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old
02-24-2004, 05:59 PM
DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib
Lately, Burns has been our most physical forward, finishing every single check. Big difference between Burns at the start of the season and current Burns. I'd definitely say he is physical.
How can you tell that? Have you been to some of the practices in the last month? The real question is how many cans of soda can one kid drink sitting in the press box? :p

Old
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzWild10
I highly doubt that the Wild will draft like this. By looking at their previous drafts, it seems like they don't draft many college players. Your list is full of them. Having said that, I wouldn't mind if it went this way. The players you listed seem pretty solid.
The only difference here is that Zajac and Chucko are candian kids. These re kids that have played in teh highest level of competition through their loves, and hppened to take the college route. Obviously, the chances of the Wild drafting any of these players is small, but it would be a good draft, in my eyes.

Old
02-24-2004, 06:03 PM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
How can you tell that? Have you been to some of the practices in the last month? The real question is how many cans of soda can one kid drink sitting in the press box? :p
I agree. I watch aa fair mount of Wild hockey on TV and Burns isn't that Physical. Obvisouly he is 18 and can't hang witht the big boys yet, but he isn't even really showing much fiestiness. (At least from the camera views)

Old
02-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW

Old
02-24-2004, 06:09 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
The games that he has played in, he was the most physical forward. Don't think that willingness to hit evaporated, besides, who else hits upfront?
I don't know how physical he is in the pressbox/room, don't think that matters much, as long as he doesn't reach Eddie Belfours level.
Those that watch the Wild regulary, would probably agree that Burns has been way more physical than at the beginning of the season and that he is a physical player now, after returning from WJC.
I don't follow your logic.
Him not playing now has nothing to do with him being physical/non physical.
If Marchment is scratched, does that mean he is a softy? Yes, we haven't seen him play for quite some time, but when he does play, he is physical.

Last edited by aylib: 02-24-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old
02-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Wild Bill

I think Burns, dispite his recent lack of playing time, played physical early on. Was good along the boards after dump and runs and was willing to give the body to puck carriers. At 18 he obviously has a lot to learn, but IMO has shown good signs of having a physical game in the future.

Old
02-24-2004, 06:34 PM
DW

Quote:
I don't follow your logic.
Nothing to do with his play. Just a joke on his not playing.

Outside of Wiemer and MJ, he would be the next physical forward on the team.

You know if he only plays in 3 more games the rest of the season, he would still be rookie for next season! :p

Old
02-24-2004, 06:55 PM
DonL

Here is my potential picks for the wild that I would like to see.I will give a
couple of Forwards and Defenseman for each pick, that way you can choose the ones you like. I assume we will have arround the 12th pick in each round.

1st
forwards:

Alexandre Picard 6-2 190 Lewiston QJMHL
Not real Physical but uses sizes well to get scoring position.

Lukas Kaspar 6-2 202 Litvinov Czech sr league
Another guy who uses size well, has a tremendous shot

Lauri Tukonen 6-2 200 Espoo Blues Finnish sr League
Best skater and most physical of the 3, scoring ability while good not elite.

Defenseman:

Ladislav Smid 6-3 209 Liberec Czech sr. League
Good puckhandling Defenseman, not overly physical,maybe the offensive D wild need

Mike Green 6-1 195 Saskatoon WHL
Tough and mean and still mobile and skilled, a physical presence

2nd
forwards:

Aki Seitsonen 6-2 195 Prince Albert whl
a suprise in the whl

Peter Pohl 5-11 185 Gatineau QMJHL
A smaller player who has alot of skill and offensive creativity and ability

Defensman:

Mark Fistric 6-2 232 Vancouver WHL
A big physical defensive defensman who can throw the body arround.

Kyrill Lyamin 6-3 200 CSKA Russian League
Another solid defenseman while not flashy but very mature

3rd
Forwards:

david Laliberte 6-1 192 P.E.I Qmjhl
A good solid 2 way player with solid skills

Blake Wheeler 6-3.5 185 Breck High School
Probably a reach at this point but he is moving up the charts, only a jr in HS he

might opt out, he is approaching 6-5 now.

Defenseman:
Michael Sersen 6-2 190 Rimouski QMJHL
A solid and strong D who can skate, still a little lanky

roman Polak 6-1 195 Vitkovice Czech jr. league
a possibleall around D who uses his body and has a great shot and can skate

If you go to McKeens you can search their database by name and get profiles of these players for free.

Last edited by DonL: 02-24-2004 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added info
Old
02-25-2004, 08:20 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
You know if he only plays in 3 more games the rest of the season, he would still be rookie for next season!

I wonder if that is why he hasn't been playing? There may be some stipulation in his contract that says, if he only plays in a certain amount of games he only makes a certain amount of money or bonuses.

As far as the physical part of his game.... I'd have to agree with Aylib. I think he has shown that he's one of the most physical players out on the ice. And when he fills out that 6'4" frame, he could dominate...but he's 3-4 years away from that IMO.

Old
02-25-2004, 03:29 PM
SchultzWild10

One person I would like to see us pick up is Drew Stafford from North Dakota. I have watched him play against the Gophers this year and he has looked pretty good.

Old
02-25-2004, 06:25 PM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzWild10
One person I would like to see us pick up is Drew Stafford from North Dakota. I have watched him play against the Gophers this year and he has looked pretty good.
I agree...I almost put him in my original post, but I am guessing we would have to sty at out 10-15 pick to get Stafford, right? I would like to see him as well.

Old
02-25-2004, 06:53 PM
DonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaachie12
I agree...I almost put him in my original post, but I am guessing we would have to sty at out 10-15 pick to get Stafford, right? I would like to see him as well.
Stafford will have to opt in to be drafted and if he does he looses his ncaa eligability so he might choose to wait until next year.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:33 AM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL
Stafford will have to opt in to be drafted and if he does he looses his ncaa eligability so he might choose to wait until next year.
Whats the difference between Stafford and guys like Ballard or Vanek who were drafted after thier freshmen years? Is it an age thing?

Old
02-26-2004, 08:00 AM
DonL

For some stupid reason players who excelerate their education to play college hockey early have to wait an extra year to get drafted to not loose their ekigability. If stafford had played this year in the ushl and went to North Dakota next year he would be able to be in this years draft without loosing eligability. The same situation applies for Wes O'Neil of Notre Dame, Adam Pineault of BC a couple of other highly thought of players

Closed Thread