HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Was Brian Rafalski a significant factor in the Red Wings Stanley Cup win?

View Poll Results: Was Brian Rafalski worth signing for the Redwings?
Yes 95 88.79%
No 12 11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Missionhockey

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeonta View Post
I'm glad Lou didn't sign him for a dime over $4M. He was overrated, and he still is. He's not a #1 defenseman, and he has played his best hockey when paired with an all-star defenseman. When you watch him without Stevens or Lidstrom, you start noticing the major holes in his game. The 50 points he contributed have no significance. I mean, Mark Streit scored 62 points for the Habs last year, but do you think anyone was shedding tears up there when he signed with the Isles?
Quote:
If Detroit had Johnny Oduya on the first pairing with Nick Lidstrom, they still would have won the Stanley Cup.
Basically is Brian Rafalski a top pairring defenseman or is he a tag along with future Hall of Famers.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Birko19

Yes, he is a top pairing d-man for he did the job and helped us get the cup. Initially he was brought in to replace Schneider, so far he has been better than Schneider and is younger.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Rafalski was a great fit for the Wings last year. His game was looking a little suspect for the first few months but it took some time for him to learn the Wings' system. When he got adjusted, he looked great. He was awesome in the playoffs as far as I'm concerned -- much better than the departed Schneider. Schneider was always vulnerable on the dump-in and turned it over in his zone a lot. That's not to say Rafalski didn't turn it over at all, but he was much better at evading forecheckers and making safe plays. I'm fine with Rafalski at $6 million.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:54 PM
hockeyfan666666

yes he was a great fit who helped them win the stanley cup

hockeyfan666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:00 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

of course

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, and whoever believes otherwise...

well I feel sorry for them.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:50 PM
nik jr

yes.

he wasn't an all star level player, but he was very good on the PP and in puck movement, which is the key to DRW's game.
wasn't great defensively, but wasn't bad.

at the beginning of the season, i was against signing rafalski--b/c DRW needed a physical d-man (which they now have in stuart), not another offensive d-man, but it turned out very well.

Last edited by nik jr: 09-28-2008 at 04:21 PM.
nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Uber Coca

Sure.

BTW, is he going to play on the first powerplay unit this year?

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Sure.

BTW, is he going to play on the first powerplay unit this year?
yep..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 04:10 PM
ThatOneGuy*

In terms of importance on defense he was probably third behind Lidstrom and Kronwall. I would argue Lilja's value but I doubt that would go over well.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
yep..
OT:
My friend's point was that Kronwall is going to have more points than Rafalski next season. I laughed and bet 5$. What are the chances that he laughs back at me?

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 04:18 PM
SChan*

Quote:
OT:
My friend's point was that Kronwall is going to have more points than Rafalski next season. I laughed and bet 5$. What are the chances that he laughs back at me?
it's 50/50 imo. Kronwall had a great playoffs and had a breakout last season..we'll see.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
OT:
If both of them stay healthy for most of the season, I think Rafalski will put up around 60 pts.. around 45-50 for Kronwall...

I think you're safe

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Airborne Troll*

Yeah, he was awesome

He was just foreshadowed by Listrom

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Celestial Black

Of course he contributed...anyone who seen him on the ice could tell he held his own but like some said...he gets overshadowed due to Lidstrom and Kronwall having a good year.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:08 PM
ThatOneGuy*

Hes the second coming of Larry Murphy. Allows Lidstrom to play more of a stay at home game. With his price tag, im slightly disappointed in his play.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:30 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

He's great, but watching try to be a #1 with the Devils for that short time proved to me that he does benefit from playing with people better than him.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Since MissionHockey decided to unnecessarily throw my name into this thread, I figured I'd respond.

Rafalski was great in NJ when he was paired up with a fella by the name of Scott Stevens. After Stevens retired and Niedermayer left he became our #1 defenseman and we started to see his flaws. 90% of the shots he took from the point never reached the net, he couldn't keep the puck in the offensive zone if his life depended on it, and he was not strong on the puck at all. One time, Jacques Laperriere sneezed on the bench and knocked Rafalski off the puck. He looks good with Lidstrom now, but just wait until Nick retires. Rafalski will be a treat to watch then. But then again, we may never get to see that if Kenny finds another Scandinavian gem to take Nick's place on the blueline.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Since MissionHockey decided to unnecessarily throw my name into this thread, I figured I'd respond.

Rafalski was great in NJ when he was paired up with a fella by the name of Scott Stevens. After Stevens retired and Niedermayer left he became our #1 defenseman and we started to see his flaws. 90% of the shots he took from the point never reached the net, he couldn't keep the puck in the offensive zone if his life depended on it, and he was not strong on the puck at all. One time, Jacques Laperriere sneezed on the bench and knocked Rafalski off the puck. He looks good with Lidstrom now, but just wait until Nick retires. Rafalski will be a treat to watch then. But then again, we may never get to see that if Kenny finds another Scandinavian gem to take Nick's place on the blueline.
After Lidstrom is done, you'll see a Rafalski-Chelios pairing.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:

You said it yourself, Rafalski isn't a #1 defensemen so I don't see how putting him into that role and him not being able to do it is somehow any evidence that he's any less of a player. It's not Rafalski's fault that his counterparts on defense were no where near as serviceable as the ones that left. When Lidstrom retires, Rafalski won't be the #1 defensemen, partly because he isn't one but mainly because Holland's foresight will make sure that the defensive corps will remain strong because of the depth on defense.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:08 PM
ThatOneGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
After Lidstrom is done, you'll see a Rafalski-Chelios pairing.

The ultimate of ironies, Lidstrom retires after winning another Norris and Chelios becomes a top pairing D man at the tender age of 56.

Really though, Kronwall is more than capable of taking the place of Lidstrom. Ericcsson, Kindl, Smith, all offensive defenseman in the pipeline.

I expect Lidstrom to play through this contract and one or two more.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You said it yourself, Rafalski isn't a #1 defensemen so I don't see how putting him into that role and him not being able to do it is somehow any evidence that he's any less of a player. It's not Rafalski's fault that his counterparts on defense were no where near as serviceable as the ones that left. When Lidstrom retires, Rafalski won't be the #1 defensemen, partly because he isn't one but mainly because Holland's foresight will make sure that the defensive corps will remain strong because of the depth on defense.
Well, see there's a lot more to this discussion than what you see in this thread. We are having a much more in depth discussion on the Devils board about Rafalski, but MissionHockey created this poll and deliberately asked a very vague question so he could get results that he hoped would prove me wrong.

"Was Brian Rafalski a significant factor in the Red Wings Stanley Cup win?"

What do you think people are going to say? No? Hell, if you asked Devils fans the same question about Mike Rupp, who scored 2 goals in game 7 in '03, they'd probably answer yes too.

There's a lot that the MH left out because he's an immature *******, but you can check out our thread there and chime in if you'd like.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=554801

I really don't feel like restating all my points.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Well, see there's a lot more to this discussion than what you see in this thread. We are having a much more in depth discussion on the Devils board about Rafalski, but MissionHockey created this poll and deliberately asked a very vague question so he could get results that he hoped would prove me wrong.

"Was Brian Rafalski a significant factor in the Red Wings Stanley Cup win?"

What do you think people are going to say? No? Hell, if you asked Devils fans the same question about Mike Rupp, who scored 2 goals in game 7 in '03, they'd probably answer yes too.

There's a lot that the MH left out because he's an immature *******, but you can check out our thread there and chime in if you'd like.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=554801

I really don't feel like restating all my points.
I'm immature, but your clearly the beacon for good manners.

Anyway, thats besides the point. I said that Brian Rafalski makes the Devils better, and that I am tired of seeing him get **** on by the New Jersey fans. With Rafalski what you see is what you get. He will not be a bruising defenseman, nor will he ever be a lights out player on the blueline. What you are going to get is an intelligent player with a great first pass, knows when to jump in on the rush and can run a powerplay effectively. In his time in New Jersey people complained that his shots weren't getting through to the net. To be honest, even if his shot did get through to the net, it wouldn't have gone in. Rafalski was the type that would shoot into crowds for a deflection. Obviously the down side of it is that most of the shots got blocked.

To say that Rafalski wasn't a key factor in the Redwings Stanley Cup is just ignorance. How do you get 14 points in 22 games as a defenseman and not be a factor? That just boggles my mind.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 05:50 AM
GotScomez

vCash: 1558
Which question am I supposed to answer:

or

Was Brian Rafalski worth signing for the Red Wings?

Question #1: No, they would have won without him
Question #2: Yes, he was worth signing.

GotScomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 06:01 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Was this really necessary MH? Keep it on our board.

Detroit would of win without Raffi, and he was pretty terrible without Stevens.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote