Former Ducks Discussion

Old
09-24-2011, 11:01 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Agreed, I don't think Gardiner had a chance to make the big club anyway with the type of players we have in the system. I think Schultz does become a much better player.
I don't think a lot of you have really seen what Gardiner has been doing in Leafs camp. To say that Beauch makes Anaheim's D "respectable" now but that the Ducks have a bunch of Gardiner clones or better in the pipeline doesn't make sense. If that were the case they should all be in the NHL because Gardiner should be, from his camp anyway.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
I don't think a lot of you have really seen what Gardiner has been doing in Leafs camp. To say that Beauch makes Anaheim's D "respectable" now but that the Ducks have a bunch of Gardiner clones or better in the pipeline doesn't make sense. If that were the case they should all be in the NHL because Gardiner should be, from his camp anyway.
Although I agree with you, Beauchemin was a more important piece and still is on this team. The Teemu Window is closing and after this year they will ahve to rebuild the whole second line. And then we will ahve to resign perry and getz.

Getting Beauchemin was huge for our defense. Keeping Gardiner would have been nice too but what can you do.

I still think Gardiner>schultz BTW

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:14 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
You could also say you haven't seen a lot of Schultz play.

Ducks D is very respectable now, much better off then many teams in the league. We do have a bunch of players who play very similar to Gardiner. Fowler, Schultz, Sbisa, Vatanen. There just isn't any room in our system for him, I'm sure he'll be a very good defenceman, but he wasn't going to be a good defenceman in Anaheim as we are quite set at the blueline for a while yet.

The organisation choose Schultz over Gardiner pretty much, I'm sure both go on for solid NHL careers.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
Wisniewski just never learns. The guy is unbelievable.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:02 PM
kducks
Duck Off

I didn't see the play..was it as bad as they are making it out to be?

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I had Gardiner ranked 2nd of our prospect/rookie defensemen, behind only Fowler. Needless to say, that trade really peeved me and still does. I think we're going to look back and regret that trade. In my opinion Murray fell victim to shiny new toys in Vatanen, Schultz, and Sbisa(who, I'll remind you, had Sbisa pencilled in the top 4 during last off-season).

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:58 PM
bumperkisser

mitera had 2 A tonight in montreals pre-season game..

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
MEEPSTER4

Let me add to the Gardiner praise. Saw him play top minutes in Philly last week and he didn't look a bit out of place. It was quite impressive and at the same time upsetting that he is no longer in our system. Reacquiring Beauch was a great move, but I fear it could turn out to be an overpayment in the long run. I wonder what role Jake will take on in the regular season though because it seems like he would sit 4-5 on the Leafs defense.

MEEPSTER4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 03:16 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

...The Predators also released forwards Joel Champagne and Mark Van Guilder; and defensemen Jeff Foss, Scott Ford and Scott Valentine from Professional or Amateur Tryout Agreements (ATOs/PTOs), with all five expected to attend the opening of Milwaukee’s training camp on Monday.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 920
Hey we have to trade people we like. Gardiner might be a great dman but we needed a guy to play top 4 minutes last year and Beauch was that guy. Its not like the end of the world. Shultz was nominated for the Hobey Baker as a sophomore, the only sophomore of the finalist the rest were Juniors or Seniors and he was the only dman nominated. What I'm trying to say is that Gardiner might be good but we have many many others that might be good.

Quote:
Justin Schultz – University of Wisconsin, Sophomore, Defense, West Kelowna, British Columbia
A scoring dynamo on the blue line, Schultz has 18 goals on the season, the most in college hockey in eight years. His 47 total points is seven more than the next closest defenseman and he was honored by the WCHA as a First Team all-star and the circuit’s Defensive Player of the Year. Deadly on the power play, his 26 power play points is best in the nation.
• Recorded 18 goals and 29 assists for 47 points in 41 games – 9 power play goals
• Led Wisconsin in scoring and topped the team with 14 multiple point games
• Life Sciences Communications major – Anaheim draft pick

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 04:15 PM
alx83*

Fowler completely made Gardiner expendable. The end.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
Fowler completely made Gardiner expendable. The end.
I don't buy that. What about Vatanen? Schultz? Sbisa? Why didn't Fowler make them expendable?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Takao
kesbae

Jiggy with a shutout against Dallas tonight.

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:38 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't buy that. What about Vatanen? Schultz? Sbisa? Why didn't Fowler make them expendable?
Schultz one is pretty simple, Ducks picked Schultz over Gardiner IMO.

We weren't going to trade Sbisa for Beauch as that's just a sideways movement as we needed more NHL ready dman and trading one to acquire another makes no sense.

Vatenen is a few years off being NHL ready so for BB I doubt he'd be interested in someone who could help say...3 years down the road.

I was bummed we traded Gardiner but we have the depth on the backend in prospects to cover it IMO. I think he was the only person we could of traded to get Beauch as no matter what Leafs think Beauch is a very good top 4 dman and you have to pay well to get them.

It's a trade both teams won, we dumped salary [Lupul] and got the top 4 dman we badly needed. Leafs got a promising prospect for the rebuild in return for their top 4 dman.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
He probably did make them expendable, but Ill bet bottom line was Burke wanted Gardiner. Burke drafted Gardiner, obviously saw something he liked there, and it may may have been Gardiner or no deal. Personally I like Gardiner better than Schultz and Vatanan, but I think having Sbisa and Fowler already in the show, with Schultz having a breakout year made Gardiner expendable to Murray.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Devils set to retire Scott Niedermayer's number on 12/16 vs Dallas

Figured I'd post it here as it pertains to a great player both teams had the privilege of having.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|NJD|home

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Great to see, well deserved for the service he gave NJ all those years. Well done Scotty!

Old
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

kinda pisses me off. Devils fans hate on scotty all the time. I knida wish they had atleast waited until the ducks did but whatever he deserves all the recognition he can get.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
kinda pisses me off. Devils fans hate on scotty all the time. I knida wish they had atleast waited until the ducks did but whatever he deserves all the recognition he can get.
Not all Devils fans. Many appreciate what he did for the franchise. It's the vocal bunch of the group that stand out. I will never have a problem with him leaving to go get a Cup with his brother. His number deserves to be retired. Over a decade here and 3 Stanley Cups.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Hockey Duckie

Awesome act for the Devils. I suppose they wanted to be sure he wasn't coming back out from retirement again.

Great job, Scotty!

Hockey Duckie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov View Post
Not all Devils fans. Many appreciate what he did for the franchise. It's the vocal bunch of the group that stand out. I will never have a problem with him leaving to go get a Cup with his brother.
Meh, i just feel like everytime there is a thread comparing him and stevens he gets MASSIVE hate by devils fans. Not even saying he is better then stevens or anything but I just feel like he is under appreciated by many devils fans.

But Im glad to hear many devils fans still have a soul

Old
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Tyrion Targaryen*
HALFMAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Meh, i just feel like everytime there is a thread comparing him and stevens he gets MASSIVE hate by devils fans. Not even saying he is better then stevens or anything but I just feel like he is under appreciated by many devils fans.

But Im glad to hear many devils fans still have a soul
Well, it's kind of like comparing Sakic and Forsberg. It's kind of pointless, they're two completely different players that were mutually loved and respected.

It'll be fun to see Scotty in NJ once more. I wonder which franchise he would take a coaching/staff job with though.

Tyrion Targaryen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion Targaryen View Post
Well, it's kind of like comparing Sakic and Forsberg. It's kind of pointless, they're two completely different players that were mutually loved and respected.

It'll be fun to see Scotty in NJ once more. I wonder which franchise he would take a coaching/staff job with though.
you dont see larsson living with him do you

Old
09-26-2011, 01:15 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

2 things to consider. One, I think they Devils wanted to honor Niedermayer's Devils accomplishments and not have what he did in Anaheim overshadow the moment. The Devils know VERY soon he'll have #27 retired in Anaheim as well and at that point his Ducks accomplishments can be celebrated.

The other thing is that this had been discussed for a while and which date was picked had to do with Niedermayer's schedule. Perhaps that date when the Ducks were to come into NJ didnt jive with Niedermayer's schedule.

Also, having it against Dallas means a little something since it's one of the 3 teams we beat for the cup. And in all the cup runs, he was most dominate in that one.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Thanks for scaring the bejebus out of me, I thought we were retiring Scotty's number.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote