HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Ducks Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
  #576
alx83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't buy that. What about Vatanen? Schultz? Sbisa? Why didn't Fowler make them expendable?
Wait... what?

I said that Fowler made Gardiner expendable. It's really simple... Fowler fell into our laps, and we had a top four defenseman immediately. Gardiner may or may not reach the level that Fowler is at now, he may even end up above that. But the fact is, Fowler is already 50% along the way, we just have to see if he makes the jump to a first pairing defenseman. If would could trade Gardiner for an NHL defenseman to play with Fowler, why the **** not? We were desperate for that.

And... I didn't mention Vatanen, Schultz, or Sbisa. No idea where you're even pulling that from. But if you would like me to answer that, I definitely think Fowler and Sbisa's play has made some of our defensive prospects expendable yet again. We'll probably hang on to Schultz, but I'm not so sure about Vatanen. And I think we may have a few teams call about him with all the praise I've seen from so many Finns.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
  #577
Gliff
Nick Bonino
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,873
vCash: 500
double post


Last edited by Gliff: 09-26-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
  #578
Gliff
Nick Bonino
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
Thanks for scaring the bejebus out of me, I thought we were retiring Scotty's number.
why? you dont wnat us to retire his number?

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:30 PM
  #579
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 500
Happy to see Gardiner doing well. But there was no chance that we we're going to have him, Fowler, Sbisa, Schultz and Vatanen all in the lineup at the same time. It became pretty clear that someone would be traded and it wasn't gonna be Fowler or Sbisa. Given that Gardiner was a former 1st rounder, his trade value was also higher than Schultz's and Vatanen's.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
  #580
caliamad
Registered User
 
caliamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
I noticed Mikkelson is on waivers in Calgary.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:35 PM
  #581
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
why? you dont wnat us to retire his number?
I hope we do, but 8 needs to be the first number in the rafters, and as long as he is still playing that wont happen.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:23 PM
  #582
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia
 
TheFlyingV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
why? you dont wnat us to retire his number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
I hope we do, but 8 needs to be the first number in the rafters, and as long as he is still playing that wont happen.
Basically my answer.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:07 PM
  #583
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,145
vCash: 500
Rest of the preseason and 8 regular season games for the Wiz.

wow...

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
  #584
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!
 
KelVarnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mission Viejo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,445
vCash: 500
Here's the problem with Wiz: he's basically braindead. You could suspend him for an entire year and he would not learn. He just does dumb (sometimes dangerous) things on the ice. I feel for BJ fans cause they way overpaid for a good (not great) empty headed dman.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:54 PM
  #585
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Rest of the preseason and 8 regular season games for the Wiz.

wow...
8 games is ridiculous to me, but I guess multiple suspensions before weighed in. I dont like what Shanahan is doing personally, I feel like he's turning the NHL into women's hockey.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:01 PM
  #586
Unholy
Moderator
 
Unholy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RSM, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,680
vCash: 500
8 games seems like the right thing since Wiz has is a repeat offender.

I remember being at that Hawks game but had no idea of the hit when it happened

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=96509&type=sigpic&dateline=1325746233
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
  #587
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu
 
duckaroosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 23,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
8 games seems like the right thing since Wiz has is a repeat offender.

I remember being at that Hawks game but had no idea of the hit when it happened
I remember being at the game and arguing with Hawk fans

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
  #588
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim
 
ShadowDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 150
Good, he deserved it. I still find it hilarious that CBJ overpaid so badly for Wiz

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:41 PM
  #589
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
8 games is ridiculous to me, but I guess multiple suspensions before weighed in. I dont like what Shanahan is doing personally, I feel like he's turning the NHL into women's hockey.
Better that than the idiots turning it into the AHL. Pretty hard to complain about the suspensions for boarding and such so far.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
  #590
DuckTech
In vino veritas
 
DuckTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rural Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
8 games is ridiculous to me, but I guess multiple suspensions before weighed in. I dont like what Shanahan is doing personally, I feel like he's turning the NHL into women's hockey.
where this might be a little too strong a view, I do also believe that the amount of games is high, the concept of repeat offender is a deadly thing. What happens when Corey Perry gets a little too upset at a game and goes a little too far, the Mr. MVPerry gets a 10 game for being a repeat offender. I understand that Shanahan wants to set a precedence and I understand that, but I think the fee is too high.

DuckTech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
  #591
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
where this might be a little too strong a view, I do also believe that the amount of games is high, the concept of repeat offender is a deadly thing. What happens when Corey Perry gets a little too upset at a game and goes a little too far, the Mr. MVPerry gets a 10 game for being a repeat offender. I understand that Shanahan wants to set a precedence and I understand that, but I think the fee is too high.
18 months between offenses to be considered a repeat offender. Perry was suspended 1/4/09. He has a clean slate.

The goal of suspensions is to eliminate this sort of behavior. 2-4 game suspensions wasn't doing it. Really, if you can't get it through your head not to egregiously break rules, you should sit. Shanahan is finally leveling suspensions that will get players' attention, and hopefully the significant hits to their pocketbooks will make plain what the pleas for player respect have failed to do.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
  #592
DuckTech
In vino veritas
 
DuckTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rural Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
18 months between offenses to be considered a repeat offender. Perry was suspended 1/4/09. He has a clean slate.

The goal of suspensions is to eliminate this sort of behavior. 2-4 game suspensions wasn't doing it. Really, if you can't get it through your head not to egregiously break rules, you should sit. Shanahan is finally leveling suspensions that will get players' attention, and hopefully the significant hits to their pocketbooks will make plain what the pleas for player respect have failed to do.
Very strong rebuttal, I shouldn't have used Perry as an example, how about Bobby Ryan, he was suspended during the playoffs so he could be a repeat offender. I guess I may make this attempt at a point again when we hear what happens to JFJ. I want to see how fair Shanahan's judgment is. My real point is that I think we may change our opinion when a Ducks star may become a repeat offender, then I would refer back to this post when most people are crying that a player went too hard and potentially injure someone. We all know that at times it may be hard for a player to think 100% with their heads and not their hearts.

DuckTech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:53 PM
  #593
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
Very strong rebuttal, and not one that I can really argue against. I guess I may make this attempt at a point again when we hear what happens to JFJ. I want to see how fair Shanahan's judgment is. My real point is that I think we may change our opinion when a Ducks star may become a repeat offender, then I would refer back to this post when most people are crying that a player went too hard and potentially injure someone. We all know that at times it may be hard for a player to think 100% with their heads and not their hearts.
I agree we will likely homer it up. If JFJ gets 10 he actually deserves it by rule (idiot), it's a prescribed penalty. If he gets more than that then it's a bit squirrelly as there's not really a prescribed penalty for what he did. I'd still rather that Kariya, LaFontaine, Savard and Lindros were in the league rather than Stevens, Suter and Cooke though, so I'll cringe if our guys do it but I won't complain as long as Shanahan applies it to everyone.

If Kronwall and Phaneuf finish the season unsuspended then we'll know he's full of ****.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:53 PM
  #594
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 17,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
8 games is ridiculous to me, but I guess multiple suspensions before weighed in. I dont like what Shanahan is doing personally, I feel like he's turning the NHL into women's hockey.
I don't like all the suspensions but you don't take a headshot at someone after the period is over that's just cheap. Given he got 8 games with us a couple of years ago I think he can count himself very lucky he's only gone for 8 reg season games.

And FTR if this was a Perry, Getz, Ryan etc doing the same I'd be pissed but I wouldn't have any issues with the suspension, hits clearly targeting the head should be punished heavily, we don't need those hits in our game. I think we saw with the hit in the Leafs game with Phaneuf? hits that start in the body and raise to the head aren't going to be penalised which is crucial.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:26 AM
  #595
TheZec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
The Devils will retire Niedermayer's number in december.

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|NJD|home

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:18 AM
  #596
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I don't like all the suspensions but you don't take a headshot at someone after the period is over that's just cheap. Given he got 8 games with us a couple of years ago I think he can count himself very lucky he's only gone for 8 reg season games.

And FTR if this was a Perry, Getz, Ryan etc doing the same I'd be pissed but I wouldn't have any issues with the suspension, hits clearly targeting the head should be punished heavily, we don't need those hits in our game. I think we saw with the hit in the Leafs game with Phaneuf? hits that start in the body and raise to the head aren't going to be penalised which is crucial.
Good points from you, DVM and Tech, I guess I'm just a traditionalist and for me a play like that was cheap yeah, but there wasn't really an intent to injure. Look at Pronger's stomp a couple of years ago, a double repeat offender and he got 8 games, and his only intention was to hurt Kesler.

And also, not to defend Wiz, but his suspensions for the hits on Doan and Seabrook were both bull****. Dirty play this time yeah, but I can only hope that if something like what Pronger did would now be double digits.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:59 AM
  #597
grinder05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Jordan Smith the Ducks former 2nd round pick, who played captained the LU ThunderWolves of the CIS last year, is now the assistant coach of my Midget hockey team. He recieved offers to play in the KHL but could not go because he is still trying to get medical problems resolved, he may go later in the season.

grinder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
  #598
Mooseduck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder05 View Post
Jordan Smith the Ducks former 2nd round pick, who played captained the LU ThunderWolves of the CIS last year, is now the assistant coach of my Midget hockey team. He recieved offers to play in the KHL but could not go because he is still trying to get medical problems resolved, he may go later in the season.
Thanks for the update.

Met him a few times and felt horrible when his accident occurred.
Best of luck to him, always a Duck!

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:48 PM
  #599
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,708
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
Wait... what?

I said that Fowler made Gardiner expendable. It's really simple... Fowler fell into our laps, and we had a top four defenseman immediately. Gardiner may or may not reach the level that Fowler is at now, he may even end up above that. But the fact is, Fowler is already 50% along the way, we just have to see if he makes the jump to a first pairing defenseman. If would could trade Gardiner for an NHL defenseman to play with Fowler, why the **** not? We were desperate for that.

And... I didn't mention Vatanen, Schultz, or Sbisa. No idea where you're even pulling that from. But if you would like me to answer that, I definitely think Fowler and Sbisa's play has made some of our defensive prospects expendable yet again. We'll probably hang on to Schultz, but I'm not so sure about Vatanen. And I think we may have a few teams call about him with all the praise I've seen from so many Finns.
I don't believe at all that -one- prospect makes another prospect expendable. The whole reason you want a deep prospect pool is because not every prospect pans out. In fact, many of them don't. So, Fowler stepped in and immediately became our best blue line prospect. One prospect makes another expendable? Then Fowler would make every other defensive prospect expendable too. What a load of crap. Would you rather have two good prospects, or just one? Three, or just two? If Vatanen and Schultz don't work out, how does that make losing Gardiner look? What if Sbisa tops out as a third pairing guy? What if Fowler can't step up his game in the defensive zone? Why don't you ask Rangers fans if Del Zotto made Fowler expendable, and how passing up on him for McIlrath looks right now. Depth in a prospect pool leads to depth on the big team, and that's how Cup contending team's are out together.

Murray boned it. Tell me the logic of this: Beauchemin is a free agent, and Murray let's him go to Toronto for nothing because he doesn't feel he's worth the contract. Now, suddenly, Beauchemin is not only worth the contract but he's worth giving up Gardiner for too? How's that for asset management? And surprise, why does Anaheim need Beauchemin? Because Murray pencilled Sbisa into the top 4 and he wasn't ready for that role. Smooth one, Murray. BM should thank his lucky stars that Fowler -was- ready, because he jumped the gun on that one.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:38 PM
  #600
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Good points from you, DVM and Tech, I guess I'm just a traditionalist and for me a play like that was cheap yeah, but there wasn't really an intent to injure. Look at Pronger's stomp a couple of years ago, a double repeat offender and he got 8 games, and his only intention was to hurt Kesler.

And also, not to defend Wiz, but his suspensions for the hits on Doan and Seabrook were both bull****. Dirty play this time yeah, but I can only hope that if something like what Pronger did would now be double digits.
Pronger has a waiver


Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.