Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Former Ducks Discussion

Old
07-28-2009, 09:48 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
Ex-prospect Tangradi is apparently dominating the Penguin prospect camp.

Thread here (there's some links to blogs and such in it): http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=659968

Of course he is a 20 year old in a prospect camp, so he would naturally have an advantage.

Verdict's still in the air, but I still think I'd prefer Kunitz and Tangradi than Whitney.

edit: here's a bit from HF's camp review:
Quote:
From Day 1, it was the Eric Tangradi show. While other prospects performed well and at times showed flashes of brilliance, Tangradi’s giant frame, up-right stance, and quick feet stood out from the pack. Despite recent wrist surgery and some difficulty moving his hand because of scar tissue, Tangradi also showed why he scored 38 goals last season for the OHL Belleville Bulls, redirecting passes and shots during drills, and later scoring a goal in the scrimmage. The 6’4 power forward was acquired in February of 2009 in part of the deal that saw Chris Kunitz come to Pittsburgh in exchange for Ryan Whitney. At 20 years old, Tangradi was not the oldest prospect present but, listed conservatively at 221 lbs, was the most physically mature.

Last edited by snarktacular: 07-28-2009 at 09:57 PM.
snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Mark Popovic signed by Atlanta. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=686374

I still remember being mad at the trade to get nothing for something-that-was-probably-going-to-be-nothing-but-still-might-amount-to-next-to-nothing. Ha.

Also Skoula to the Burgh. I remember thinking he was our next Olaussen. Double ha.

Old
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Good for Popovic!

Earned another chance in the NHL.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Mark Popovic signed by Atlanta. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=686374

I still remember being mad at the trade to get nothing for something-that-was-probably-going-to-be-nothing-but-still-might-amount-to-next-to-nothing. Ha.

Also Skoula to the Burgh. I remember thinking he was our next Olaussen. Double ha.
I just.... I look at that Penguins roster, even last season, and I'm just unimpressed. I think the quality of the final 4 contestants in last season's playoffs was the worst we've seen in a long time.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 11:01 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
I just.... I look at that Penguins roster, even last season, and I'm just unimpressed. I think the quality of the final 4 contestants in last season's playoffs was the worst we've seen in a long time.
Reminds me of a radio commercial I heard this morning about Kings hockey. They're here to play hockey. Rob Scuderi, Stanley Cup Champion, isn't here to enjoy the ____ (beach?).

I'm just amazed that a team that is so deficient and inconsistent in its own end can win a championship. But they managed to make it work. We'll see what happens on a repeat attempt, though, since offensive players get paid, making it hard to fit a team under the cap.

OT, but that's also a mild worry of mine related to our team with its new, offense-heavy look. Offensive players get paid disproportionately, and I wonder how long a competitive, offensive core can be kept together. Although we weren't doing so well with just defense.

Old
09-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
Yeah no offense to Pittsburgh but they're one of the worst teams to win the cup this decade. As much as I hate to say it, if it wasn't for Lidstrom playing without testicles I think Detroit would have taken that series in 6.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 01:10 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Drew Miller waived. So now it's Artyukhin for a 3rd. We may end up waiving Artyukhin too so it'll be a 3rd for ____. But even then it was still worth the stab at it.

Remember the huge flame-threads involving Miller? Sort of like the ones involving Ebbett or Christensen. I wonder who's next.

Old
11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Bleak

Quote:
Drew Miller waived. So now it's Artyukhin for a 3rd. We may end up waiving Artyukhin too so it'll be a 3rd for ____. But even then it was still worth the stab at it.

Remember the huge flame-threads involving Miller? Sort of like the ones involving Ebbett or Christensen. I wonder who's next.
Nokie and Carter are good in the bottom 6 role. I do not mind them out though, I doubt they'd be waived.

R2Ken was a waste, but definitely a gamble. We overpaid though, I wish we did a 4th-6th + Miller though.

Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak View Post
Nokie and Carter are good in the bottom 6 role. I do not mind them out though, I doubt they'd be waived.

R2Ken was a waste, but definitely a gamble. We overpaid though, I wish we did a 4th-6th + Miller though.
It was a good gamble. With two first round picks, we could afford to take the risk.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Talentless Practise*

Miller to Detroit.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Christensen now has 7pts in his 6 games riding shotgun in NY. He wasn't a good fit here, but I'm not surprised he's doing so well, playing with players who fit his style better and playing the the Eastern Conference.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
In The Flesh

yea, Christensen's been a nice surprise, who knows if he can keep it up though.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Elvs

Giguere with the shutout in his Toronto debute.

Christensen has 10 points (3+7) in his last 16 games with the Rangers.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Varius

Glencross had a hat-trick!

I liked him in past years and thought he had a shot with the team...oh well he seems to be having much more success in Calgary (though he always had solid training camps here I thought?)

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
Glencross had a hat-trick!

I liked him in past years and thought he had a shot with the team...oh well he seems to be having much more success in Calgary (though he always had solid training camps here I thought?)
It was really odd that he wasn't given more of a chance here. He seems like a prototypical Burke/Carlyle player.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
It was really odd that he wasn't given more of a chance here. He seems like a prototypical Burke/Carlyle player.
Actually not, I think there were too many people ahead of him and he deserved a chance to start somewhere else. Typical Burke would move him to some place he gets a chance to play.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

LOL Pierre Gauthier. I pity Habs fans.

Although to be fair, Gauthier was the one who brought in Giguere. And the biggest decision the Canadiens have to make is whether to go with Halak or Price. So maybe he's knowledgeable about goalies.

Old
03-12-2010, 12:45 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Jiggy held the game in OT for the Leafs last night against Tampa, while sporting his NEW mask

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

That is a sweet mask!

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:39 PM
soulcal

niice, i dig it.

soulcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
12 oz Papa*

Why couldn't he have a cool Ducks mask? All of his masks here were idiotic.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Underneath the Brooks article about the Blueshirts almost fleecing Tampa out of Stamkos is another interesting bit about Philly. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0k8XoBlBB

Quote:
There is something foul in Philadelphia far beyond the goaltending fiasco that has become the focal point of the NHL's most disappointing team.

We're not there on a day-to-day basis, so we can't claim first-hand knowledge, but when two league GMs were asked what they perceived to be the problem, neither hesitated.

"Pronger," each said, referring to Chris Pronger, the defenseman who has a reputation for splitting locker rooms as well as heads.

If GM Paul Holmgren manages to keep his job, it won't be because of the acquisition of Pronger, who next season begins a seven-year, over-35 contract extension at an annual cap hit of $4.9 million that runs through 2016-17.

Well, at least until the next amnesty buyout period.

As Pronger was 34 when he signed the extension, the Flyers were unaware that it would be considered an over-35 contract. But as Pronger turned 35 this year, on the final season of his pre-existing contract, the CBA clause kicked in.

If Holmgren gets kicked out, that will be part of the reason.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0kBKfbhQo
Just something interesting to read. I'm not a fan of Brooks, but then he does claim to have spoken to 2 GMs. Of course it's also hearsay of hearsay.

If true, though, Pronger may be helping our team from afar by improving our draft pick.

But seriously. Why in the hell would the owner have considered moving Stamkos so early? Yes he struggled, but you had just invested a huge ad campaign around a #1 pick! And he's 18!

On the other hand, it was an owner. Sather was trying to pull a fast one by going through the owner and not the GM.

edit: hmm... April fools? But who is pranking who? Brooks us (but the article is from today)? Or Sather Brooks?

Last edited by snarktacular: 04-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Underneath the Brooks article about the Blueshirts almost fleecing Tampa out of Stamkos is another interesting bit about Philly. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0k8XoBlBB

Just something interesting to read. I'm not a fan of Brooks, but then he does claim to have spoken to 2 GMs. Of course it's also hearsay of hearsay.

If true, though, Pronger may be helping our team from afar by improving our draft pick.

Locker room cancer is thrown around so often in sports it is silly.

Having been around many professional athletes(mind you not in hockey) I find have found that the true locker room cancers are rare. And identified and usually traded away quite quickly.

The simple fact is in a locker room there are clicks. Certain guys hang out with certain guys. There are guys who are teammates but don't particularly enjoy one another. Usually outspoken vets are either loved or hated by the young guys. Which I think ties into the situation with Pronger.

Pronger is just a guy who is going to say what he feels. Usually loud mouth straight shooters are going to rub some the wrong way.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Theridion

"As Pronger was 34 when he signed the extension, the Flyers were unaware that it would be considered an over-35 contract. But as Pronger turned 35 this year, on the final season of his pre-existing contract, the CBA clause kicked in."

I don't believe that. If its my job to sign contracts and crap, and I am dealing with 10's of millions of dollars... you know I am having lawyers and doctors investigating my investment.

That being said, I think that if Lupul returns next year in the same form he left the Ducks this year, we definitely won this trade. And if we get a good prospect in the draft and if Sbisa joins the squad next year... we really won this trade.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
"As Pronger was 34 when he signed the extension, the Flyers were unaware that it would be considered an over-35 contract. But as Pronger turned 35 this year, on the final season of his pre-existing contract, the CBA clause kicked in."

I don't believe that. If its my job to sign contracts and crap, and I am dealing with 10's of millions of dollars... you know I am having lawyers and doctors investigating my investment.

That being said, I think that if Lupul returns next year in the same form he left the Ducks this year, we definitely won this trade. And if we get a good prospect in the draft and if Sbisa joins the squad next year... we really won this trade.
It is hard to believe that a front office could totally miss due diligence like that, but if you look at the structure of Pronger's contract it's believable. Why else would his salary drop down to league minimum for the final 2 years? It seems like the point was so he could retire without missing any money. But with a 35+ contract, you wouldn't want to provide incentive for him to retire because of the cap implications.