HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Luongo named captain?

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
OT: Luongo named captain?

What's with this? I've never heard of this before.. wow. Should we just name Vesa captain then?

Old
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Z0S0
Gomie is my Homie

Send a message via MSN to Z0S0
Cujo for Captain

Old
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
What's with this? I've never heard of this before.. wow. Should we just name Vesa captain then?
I thought I heard somewhere that the NHL won't ever allow goalies to wear the C. Link?

Old
09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
LTL

It's Captain Luongo

Quote:
VANCOUVER The Vancouver Canucks have gone down an unusual road to choose their captain.

On Tuesday, head coach Alain Vigneault announced that goaltender Roberto Luongo is the team's captain in 2008-09. Because goalies are barred from wearing letters on their sweaters by NHL rules, the team also announced that Willie Mitchell, Mattias Ohlund and Ryan Kesler will be alternate captains.

"I'm ready for that responsibility," Luongo said. "I feel that last year, even though I didn't have a letter, I was part of that leadership group."

Vigneault and new general manager Mike Gillis both decided that Luongo would become the 12th captain in team history during meetings this summer.

"It took him about .01 seconds to say 'yes,'" Vigneault said.

Luongo succeeds winger Markus Naslund, who wore the 'C' in Vancouver for seven years before departing in free agency this summer.

Link

Old
09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
I thought I heard somewhere that the NHL won't ever allow goalies to wear the C. Link?
Your correct

Quote:
The Vancouver Province is reporting on their hockey blog that ithe Canucks have picked Roberto Luongo as their next captain even though it is against NHL rules to allow a goalie wear the C.

He succeeds Markus Naslund, who wore the C since the 2000-01 season.

The NHL Rulebook (Rule 14D) states:"No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain."

So, though Luongo cannot officially wear the C, he has been named'the captain by the team. Luongo will not take the ceremonial face-offs, wear the "C" on his sweater or argue calls. Alternate Mattias Ohlund is expected to take ceremonial faceoffs, with Willie Mitchell handling most discussions with the officials. Ryan Kesler is the other alternate.

The last NHL goaltender who served as team captain prior to this rule coming into effect was Bill Durnan of the Montreal Canadiens in the 194748 NHL season.

The idea behind the ban on the C is that it takes too long for the goalie to come out of the crease, meet with officials and then return.

Link

Old
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
ACC1224

Why do we care what the Canucks do?

Old
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Your correct
Thanks, I wasn't sure, and was told that second hand information. I was hoping Fuhr would get the C after trading Vince, and that was when I heard that rule.

Old
09-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Joey Hoser

I'm confused. Since technically speaking, the Captain's only responsibility is holding the ability to speak with the referees, and he won't be given that right because of the rules, how is he the captain? Call him a leader for sure, but I don't get how they're naming him captain.

Old
09-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Why do we care what the Canucks do?
We're begging for 'Nuck fans to come and tee off too.. they're pretty worked up defending the move, if you haven't seen the main board yet. I've heard they're not the biggest fans of T.O. as well (lol..), they'll be here...

I'm not up for policing this thread. Discuss on the NHL forum if you're so inclined. Closed.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=556571

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Closed Thread