HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think we're jumping the gun

Old
09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
jaywills1020

vCash: 500
I think we're jumping the gun

First off Im a life long, die hard, blue bleeding Rangers fan.
With that said, I dont think this seasons going to be what most of think it is. Heres my top 3 reasons why.

1. Top elite talent. With the exception of Lundqvist we just dont have it. Naslund used to be, Zherdev could be. Drury and Gomez are good but not great. We need that player or 2 that can take over a game. Every Cup winning team has that one great player. Cant wait for Cherry to come over as I think he could be that player.

2. Toughness. Lets be honest here, we are not a tough team at all. Whens the last time you saw anyone other then Orr, Dubinsky, and Callahan really get into it? Not signing Avery is going to be bigger then most of us think.

3. Scoring. This IS NOT based on the preseason alone. Aside from the first line and "maybe" the second line were not going to get enough scoring. Especially secondary scoring. The 3rd and 4th lines do their job of shutting down and banging but they also have to chip in some goals. Remember Buffalo 2 or 3 years ago? They rolled 4 lines that could put the puck in the net.

This is just my opinion and HOPEFULLY Im wrong. If you ask my wife she will tell you Im always wrong so their might be some hope.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
ogie

ummm isn't this the same thing that people have been saying about the Rangers every year since the lockout?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Vitto79

maybe so but how about they play and see what happens

I mean from the other side of things they had a good defensive team last yr

I see that being the same now............

G- is a strength
D- that is a pretty solid top 6 guys.......
F- Alot of youth...........they have talent which we hope will come out...........Dawes, Dubinsky, Zherdev,Korpikoski, Callahan.........hard not to get exited with a young rangers team

BUT yes there are question marks....like every team has except Detroit

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Cherry isnt going to be that player.

I am not very high on him.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
ummm isn't this the same thing that people have been saying about the Rangers every year since the lockout?

Since the lock out we had the league's best scorer one year, 2 top ten scorers the year after that and pretty decent offensive threat that had to be watched constantly for the rest of those years.

I think the original poster jawills is right. Hanke appart we don't have a genuine "elite talent" in our line up. I don't think you could yet say that Lundy is a premier NHL star.

The question is whether this team will be more balanced, faster and harder working.
I could be a bit tougher than it was.....

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:25 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020 View Post
With that said, I dont think this seasons going to be what most of think it is. Heres my top 3 reasons why.

1. Top elite talent. With the exception of Lundqvist we just dont have it. Naslund used to be, Zherdev could be. Drury and Gomez are good but not great. We need that player or 2 that can take over a game. Every Cup winning team has that one great player. Cant wait for Cherry to come over as I think he could be that player.

2. Toughness. Lets be honest here, we are not a tough team at all. Whens the last time you saw anyone other then Orr, Dubinsky, and Callahan really get into it? Not signing Avery is going to be bigger then most of us think.

3. Scoring. This IS NOT based on the preseason alone. Aside from the first line and "maybe" the second line were not going to get enough scoring. Especially secondary scoring. The 3rd and 4th lines do their job of shutting down and banging but they also have to chip in some goals. Remember Buffalo 2 or 3 years ago? They rolled 4 lines that could put the puck in the net.

This is just my opinion and HOPEFULLY Im wrong. If you ask my wife she will tell you Im always wrong so their might be some hope.
And just what do you believe most people are expecting? I for one, believe we may take a step back from last year. Things look real tight in the East, and I could see us finishing high in the standings or just as easily out of the playoffs. I don't know where 200+ goals are going to come from...so basically we need to kill it on the PP and Hank needs to stand on his head all the way through. It could happen, but it ain't a sure thing.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Celestial Black

We all know we need a pure scorer/game breaker but in truth, we just don't have anyone like that nor do I think we have the means to get someone like that. Unless by some sort of miracle, we create cap space and either trade or aquire Kovalchuk...like I said though...it would take some sort of miracle.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

IMO cheraponov will be a difference maker.....70-90 points a season

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Rangers2319

vCash: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

agreed 100%

everyone thinks hes going to be the next kovalchuk/crosby/ malkin..

if he was dont you think he woudl be palying in ny by now.. cherry is overratted end of discussion

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2319 View Post
agreed 100%

if he was dont you think he woudl be palying in ny by now.. cherry is overratted end of discussion
I really don't think anyone has mentioned him with Crosby or Malkin.

Also, he can't play in NY as he has a contract with his team in Russia.

09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
agreed 100%

what are you talking about?

Old
09-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Rangers2319

everyone seriously has high hopes for him like hes going to be the god/savior of the rangers not going to happen, when it does ill eat my words but i highly doubt it

Old
09-29-2008, 12:25 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

i don't think too many people are expecting 50 goal, 100 point seasons out of cherry. i'd say most people have realistic expectations for him to begin in the 25-30 goal, 60-65 point range, and from there, to grow into a consistent 30 goal scorer. radulov is probably a much better model than malkin or ovechkin (unfortunately), but again, i don't think most people are expecting elite play right off the bat.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
everyone seriously has high hopes for him like hes going to be the god/savior of the rangers not going to happen, when it does ill eat my words but i highly doubt it
No, everyone doesn't think he's going to be the savior of the Rangers. Everyone is excited that we landed a kid who has amazing potential, and could easily be a legit top 6 talent (or more) for us. Whether you think that can't happen is your own opinion, but I don't see any posts claiming that Cherry is going to challenge Ovechkin for the scoring title next season.

Old
09-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Rangers2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No, everyone doesn't think he's going to be the savior of the Rangers. Everyone is excited that we landed a kid who has amazing potential, and could easily be a legit top 6 talent (or more) for us. Whether you think that can't happen is your own opinion, but I don't see any posts claiming that Cherry is going to challenge Ovechkin for the scoring title next season.
im excited for him to but you have to be logical

Old
09-29-2008, 12:37 PM
bcrt2000

Given that Lundqvist looks terrible/hurting from his knee problems, IMO this season will probably be a write off.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:38 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I agree, and I think I am being logical. Do you think he doesn't have a good shot at becoming at least a top 6 player?

Old
09-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
A sentence like that is usually followed up by an explanation of one's logic. Care to elaborate?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
nyrrichter35

I would have to disagree. First of all, on the point of the Rangers not having enough scoring, this has been consistently a problem. The rangers did not score alot of goals last year, they still ended a few bad bounces away from a shot at the Eastern Conference finals. Second of all, I'd have to disagree with the point that the Rangers have no great players. Scott Gomez is a great player. Last but not least, I don't think Avery will be as missed as people think. Sure you can bring up their record with Avery in line up, but look at their record with Malik in the lineup, do you think we'll be missing him? Voros will certainly bring toughness. It seems like Orr has stepped his game up. And you know Callahan, Dubinksy, and Staal will be able to rough it up. The Rangers have their problems, don't get me wrong, I just don't think the Rangers will be on the outside looking in this year.

nyrrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:09 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrrichter35 View Post
Second of all, I'd have to disagree with the point that the Rangers have no great players. Scott Gomez is a great player.
i wholeheartedly agree. people knock gomez because of his salary and say he isn't a "great player" even though he clearly is. he just isn't an ELITE player, though he is paid like one. he's one of the best passers in the game today, and if you remove guys like crosby, lecavalier, malkin, datsyuk, zetterberg, etc. (i.e. the elite players), gomez might be THE best passer/playmaker.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
i wholeheartedly agree. people knock gomez because of his salary and say he isn't a "great player" even though he clearly is. he just isn't an ELITE player, though he is paid like one. he's one of the best passers in the game today, and if you remove guys like crosby, lecavalier, malkin, datsyuk, zetterberg, etc. (i.e. the elite players), gomez might be THE best passer/playmaker.
I think the Rangers have a lot of GOOD players, not as much GREAT/ELITE players. Makes me marvel even more at teams like Pitts and Detroit (especially Detroit) on how they have all that top end talent under one team.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020 View Post

And this is why we should have made a push to keep Jagr whom, a veteran, still had the ability to control and dominate a game. Getting Naslund, another veteran with much less capability, at $4 million, just didn't make sense. We don't have any ELITE talent BUT Lundqvist.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Fletch

Fatal...

The only issue with Jagr was $7+ million. Naslund's not Jagr, but if you can get 25 goals out of a guy for $4MM per, that's not a bad value. If you then spend the $3+ million you didn't spend on Jagr and you spend it wisely, you may be able to create balance in your lines. And I think the Rangers did that to a certain degree with Zherdev (which netted to about $1MM extra), although the other $2MM may've been spent on Kalinin. But the point is if you spend the money wisely, you can create a team with greater balance. Not having that one superstar at forward is something this team will have to deal with, unfortunately, and life without Jagr had to begin at some point.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 05:58 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Given that Lundqvist looks terrible/hurting from his knee problems, IMO this season will probably be a write off.
now lundy had an absolutely awful preseason last year and then showed some stellar goaltending in the first 20 or so games...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 06:01 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrrichter35 View Post
I would have to disagree. First of all, on the point of the Rangers not having enough scoring, this has been consistently a problem. The rangers did not score alot of goals last year, they still ended a few bad bounces away from a shot at the Eastern Conference finals. Second of all, I'd have to disagree with the point that the Rangers have no great players. Scott Gomez is a great player. Last but not least, I don't think Avery will be as missed as people think. Sure you can bring up their record with Avery in line up, but look at their record with Malik in the lineup, do you think we'll be missing him? Voros will certainly bring toughness. It seems like Orr has stepped his game up. And you know Callahan, Dubinksy, and Staal will be able to rough it up. The Rangers have their problems, don't get me wrong, I just don't think the Rangers will be on the outside looking in this year.
Depends on what your basing 'great' on. I think Lundqvist has more of a chance of holding that more-so than Gomez, although Gomez is a very good player.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote