HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Rivet's 500th game

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Darz

vCash: 500
Craig Rivet's 500th game

Love him or hate him, Thursday's game versus Boston will be Craig Rivet's 500th game in the NHL and as a member of the habs. He will be the 57th player to play 500 games as a member of the Canadiens. I made a thread last month that stated the other 56:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=47491

also it will be game #493 as a hab for Stéphane Quintal, who should be 58th on the list before season's end.

Old
02-25-2004, 03:01 PM
theo6060

Great news. I hate the contract he signed but hey, was that entirely his fault? I think not. He is a good guy to have around, one of the few who actually sticks up for his teammates...

Old
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
chicpea*

Congrats to Stéphane and Rivet! Maybe Rivet will celebrate by doing to Lapointe what he did to Marchment

Old
02-25-2004, 04:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Rivet's skills, but he does work hard and gives a solid effort. He's had one heck of a turnaround this season, going from the team worst -9 to a respective +2. This team really needs him and the other veteran defensemen to step up and Rivet has done just that. I don't like his contract either, but I always felt Savard did a decent job considering he would have been a UFA and with the tax factor (which I would say is around a 20% bonus added into the average Hab UFA contract) That would be around 2M for Rivet if he were on a team that didn't have such high taxes to compensate players which is more or less a standard business move. In business it's currency hedging, it's for when you enter another country to do business, you should protect yourself against that countries currency to reduce your risk level. It's done with contracts, currency futures or currency index options on all major markets. I have a degree in Finance so this makes sense to me, although I could easily be wrong.

Even at 2M Rivet is overpaid by his skill level (only imo) but it's hard to put a price on his leadership, work effort, experience, character, but if he continues to give a full effort and try and keep it simple (stop swinging at players cause they move a good move on you cause you always get a penalty for that) he's a solid bottom pairing guy with average to slightly above average skills.

Jason Ward will hit 100 NHL games with the Habs with 12 more games.

Old
02-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Rivet's skills, but he does work hard and gives a solid effort. He's had one heck of a turnaround this season, going from the team worst -9 to a respective +2. This team really needs him and the other veteran defensemen to step up and Rivet has done just that. I don't like his contract either, but I always felt Savard did a decent job considering he would have been a UFA and with the tax factor (which I would say is around a 20% bonus added into the average Hab UFA contract) That would be around 2M for Rivet if he were on a team that didn't have such high taxes to compensate players which is more or less a standard business move. In business it's currency hedging, it's for when you enter another country to do business, you should protect yourself against that countries currency to reduce your risk level. It's done with contracts, currency futures or currency index options on all major markets. I have a degree in Finance so this makes sense to me, although I could easily be wrong.

Even at 2M Rivet is overpaid by his skill level (only imo) but it's hard to put a price on his leadership, work effort, experience, character, but if he continues to give a full effort and try and keep it simple (stop swinging at players cause they move a good move on you cause you always get a penalty for that) he's a solid bottom pairing guy with average to slightly above average skills.

Well said. So he has a big contract. Big deal. The guy is a heart and soul type. He does make mistakes but no one tries harder. We need someone like him on the blue line. Many teams would love to have him IMO. If he were traded, we would regret it.

Last edited by Duster: 02-25-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Old
02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
EaGLE1

Craig Rivet is too expensive. I prefer Bouillon to him. I admit he played good lately. But this guy makes too much mistakes. We need to move him to improve as a team.

Old
02-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
Craig Rivet is too expensive. I prefer Bouillon to him. I admit he played good lately. But this guy makes too much mistakes. We need to move him to improve as a team.
Nothing against Bouillon but he is clearly overmatched against large power forwards. Rivet isn't. He makes mistakes when he tries to do too much. Just like Breezy.

Old
02-25-2004, 06:02 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Nothing against Bouillon but he is clearly overmatched against large power forwards. Rivet isn't. He makes mistakes when he tries to do too much. Just like Breezy.
same here, painfull to watch Cube against power forwards!

Old
02-25-2004, 07:03 PM
rulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

Nicely put.

Congrats, Rivet! ...and Quintal ... and Ward!!!

Old
02-25-2004, 07:08 PM
romain_jaime

Pierre Mcguire says that there are a few Cup contenders that would LOVE to pick up Rivet... He actually went as far as saying Detroit !

So, if teams like that would love to pick him up... he can't be THAT bad

Old
02-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_jaime
Pierre Mcguire says that there are a few Cup contenders that would LOVE to pick up Rivet... He actually went as far as saying Detroit !

Rivet is a grêat player to have when he keeps things simple and he plays physically, which means hitting, clearing the crease, defending his teammates and fighting. He has done all of that lately and I think he would be a bigger loss on the blue line then Brisebois who plays a very soft game. I'm not a big fan of Rivets talent level, but his heart's in the right place and McGuire knows what he's talking about.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:35 AM
scosar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
same here, painfull to watch Cube against power forwards!

Exactly. Cube tries hard but doesn't have the reach or size to play against power forwards. Rivet is most effective when he just keeps chipping the puck out of our end and taking on the bigger forwards.

Plus Markov improved leaps and bounds last year after playing with Craig. He was having an off year until he was reunited with Rivet and then his game took off. Mostly Rivet is a character guy as well as a leader. You can't have enough of those in the dressing room.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_jaime

I think when you rely to heavily on Rivet in a certain pairing I think there can be trouble but when paired with a decent all around dman he is solid.

Guys like him are underrated alot of times by fans/media but I guarentee there are GM's out there that would give us a decent retrun for him. And BTW, if you don't think Rivet would of recieved $3M a year from another team as a UFA if Savard didn't dign him, your nuts. In a time when Martin Lapoint gets $5M a year and Sean Hill gets $4M a year, Rivet easily gets $3M. (granted times have changed since then, but you can't look at that)

Old
02-26-2004, 08:56 AM
BLONG7

Congrats to Rivet... I like this guy, he's a heart and soul player, and a leader. He is overpaid, aren't they all(except Begin) He did have a rough start, but since Xmas he has been solid!

Closed Thread