HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: Vapor XX vs. Vapor XXII vs. Easton SC5

Old
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
IronWolf

vCash: 500
Sticks: Vapor XX vs. Vapor XXII vs. Easton SC5

Hey all,
I've sort of narrowed down some stick choices I am looking at and am looking for opinions.

1. Vapor XX Malkin Curve 87 flex- $99. I shot this stick, and it shoots very nicely. I was suprised how easily I got the puck up, considering in the same shooting gallery with an iginla it wasn't as easy. Also, the 5 degree curve is good for my shortness. My snap shots and wristers were getting some nice height, and seemed like the had some good speed on them as well.

2. Vapor XXII Malkin Curve 87 flex - $95. Hoping someone has some insight on the differences between this and the XX.

3. Easton S5 Forsberg 100 flex - $80. Also shot this stick,. and it seemed to be not too bad. Was able to get the puck up. At a 100 flex this stick was really whippy compared to the vapor XX. Seemed like a decent shot. You could really flex this stick.

I'm about 5'7" 190 pounds, so I will need to cut each stick, it looks like they will all be about 105 flex after cutting. I am currently using an 87 flex One50, cut to 105 flex, and it seems a little stiff. Am I going crazy or is the 87 flex vapor XX more flexy then the 87 flex One50?

I wish I could get the 77 flex Malkin Vapor XX or XXII. But I don't think anyone here has it.

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by IronWolf: 09-30-2008 at 12:30 AM.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
iceman_88888888

i say get the xxii. it's built on the "latest" technology the xxxx is built on. the blade is the same as the xx but the xxii has a tapered shaft to give you a better wrist and snap shot. it's also lighter (just barely) than the xx. but if you want an all around stick, get the xx. just remember, it was nbh's first foray into the ops market and it's good for a lot of things but also has its deficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Am I going crazy or is the 87 flex vapor XX more flexy then the 87 flex One50?
Thanks for all the input!
don't forget, the xx is the first stick nbh came out with and before nbh decided to branch off into 2 lines of sticks for different shots. the one50 is a little stiffer because of the way it's designed to load (just below halfway down the shaft). the xx flex may feel a little whippier because it is older technology and it wasn't designed to load specifically for any shot (sort of like the sc5).

edit: remember, also, the sc5 is the original synergy that came out around 2001ish... just rebranded with new paint and stuff...

Last edited by iceman_88888888: 09-30-2008 at 01:30 PM.
iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Kiprusoff*

I've not ever even touched Easton SC5, but I have both Vapors and Vapor XX is obviously my favourtie.

Kiprusoff* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
IronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiprusoff View Post
I've not ever even touched Easton SC5, but I have both Vapors and Vapor XX is obviously my favourtie.
What do you find are the differences between the XX and the XXII?

Old
09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
IronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
i say get the xxii. it's built on the "latest" technology the xxxx is built on. the blade is the same as the xx but the xxii has a tapered shaft to give you a better wrist and snap shot. it's also lighter (just barely) than the xx. but if you want an all around stick, get the xx. just remember, it was nbh's first foray into the ops market and it's good for a lot of things but also has its deficiencies.

don't forget, the xx is the first stick nbh came out with and before nbh decided to branch off into 2 lines of sticks for different shots. the one50 is a little stiffer because of the way it's designed to load (just below halfway down the shaft). the xx flex may feel a little whippier because it is older technology and it wasn't designed to load specifically for any shot (sort of like the sc5).

edit: remember, also, the sc5 is the original synergy that came out around 2001ish... just rebranded with new paint and stuff...
Thanks again for your input!
Actually I think I screwed up the title, I will try and tweak it. It is that Easton S5 not SC5, not sure if that makes a difference, as I don't think they even make an SC5.

What I know is that I will have to cut the XX or XXII it will be about 105 flex, which is what my current One50 is, but when I held the stick at the cut height, to get a true reading of the stiffness, it still seemed to flex more. The reason I am looking at the XXII is because of the info you posted in the Flex post about the Vapor line . I was shooting well with the malkin curve and the XX, so I can't see the XXII being much different, so I am leaning towards the XXII.

Old
09-30-2008, 11:25 PM
IronWolf

Well I was able to find the Vapor XXII in 77 Flex Malkin Curve, so I bought it. After cutting it's about 90 flex.