HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR (EK)Rangers Expected to Make Move

Old
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Legs Feed the Wolf

vCash: 500
RUMOR (EK)Rangers Expected to Make Move

Rangers are expected to make a move for a proven sniper in exchange for some prospects, because they have too many playmakers.....Per Eklund's Site

....what do you guys think? Personally i think it could happen, maybee even with prucha being scratched that could hint something?

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This is not a news report (title has been edited).

09-29-2008, 10:16 AM
broadwayblue

I've been expecting this for months now. Way too many 3rd liners...short one 2nd liner. Whether we can make it happen is a different story. As others have said, you can't give a lot of junk for talent...and then it has to work cap wise. Guess we'll see.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Again people, discuss the rumor, not the source please.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Melrose_Jr.

NOTE: if you want to discuss the RUMOR, go for it. If you want to discuss the source, take it elsewhere. The ENTIRE summer has already been spent discussing it's credibility.

I don't see a lot value in these "extra" players. Certainly not enough to bring in a "proven sniper" without giving up something you can't afford to give up. Someone probably will be dealt, but I expect they will be given away for picks, which seems about right.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
NOTE: if you want to discuss the RUMOR, go for it. If you want to discuss the source, take it elsewhere. The ENTIRE summer has already been spent discussing it's credibility.

I don't see a lot value in these "extra" players. Certainly not enough to bring in a "proven sniper" without giving up something you can't afford to give up. Someone probably will be dealt, but I expect they will be given away for picks, which seems about right.
Agreed. Sounds like a typical quantity for quality move. Which never works — especially when you are dealing with a cap.

And the timing is strange as the team is in Europe.

Old
09-29-2008, 10:28 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Gaborik?

Just kidding. But yeah, I would like to see some kind of move to adress that. I'm not really in the mood to see everyone passing to each other the whole game.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Agreed. Sounds like a typical quantity for quality move. Which never works especially when you are dealing with a cap.

Hey, I just traded Shanny straight up for Turris in my NHL 09 Rangers Dynasty! Kyle is doing quite well for us!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

No surpise. Sather loaded up on bottom 6 guys to see if someone could make the jump. He's looking to find that under valued guy in a Cap restricted market. Now he probably has to do something and GIVE to get.

But who is available as a true UPgrade to the top 6? Its not easy to pry real bona fide talent away from other teams with prospects and guys who didnt cut it on your roster. Sather will likely have to roll the dice on talented player with "issues" of some kind.

Martin Havlat anyone?

09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
No surpise. Sather loaded up on bottom 6 guys to see if someone could make the jump. He's looking to find that under valued guy in a Cap restricted market. Now he probably has to do something and GIVE to get.
Eh, that assumes he feels like he to address the issue right now. It's not beyond Sather and Renney to try every possible option they have in a hole before they decide to something about, or continue to do nothing. And honestly, it's not possible to fill every need with your ideal candidate, nor is it appropriate for a team at this stage of it's makeover to do so.

I'm still not convinced it's a personnel issue either. A strategic change in the way some of these players approach their on ice roles could make a real difference for some of them.

Old
09-29-2008, 10:42 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Eh, that assumes he feels like he to address the issue right now. It's not beyond Sather and Renney to try every possible option they have in a hole before they decide to something about, or continue to do nothing. And honestly, it's not possible to fill every need with your ideal candidate, nor is it appropriate for a team at this stage of it's makeover to do so.

I'm still not convinced it's a personnel issue either. A strategic change in the way some of these players approach their on ice roles could make a real difference for some of them.

I agree. Unless the Hawks really are offering Havlat with all his "issues" for Prucha + choice prospect. Id think about it.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Vitto79

Quote:

But who is available as a true UPgrade to the top 6? Its not easy to pry real bona fide talent away from other teams with prospects and guys who didnt cut it on your roster. Sather will likely have to roll the dice on talented player with "issues" of some kind.

Martin Havlat anyone?
I am totally cool with this........have been thinking for a while that they can package some bottom end guys.............

Prucha is still valuable regardless of what some people say.........Betts is a real good checking forward with value..............then they can also move some prospects that do have potential.......Jessiman , Moore,etc...............

This is Ek rumor but makes sense

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
NYReign

Havlat makes 6 million so I don't think he's an option...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Of course they need another top 6 scorer.

I just dont know how and who they would trade to make it happen, and fit it under the cap.

Unless the traded some combination of Prucha and Dawes/Callahan and/or Defensman to clear space, and then waived Rissmiller, i dont see getting back a sure fire top 6 player. And then youve depleted some of the young core. Plus, that top 6 player will most likely be in his walk year or RFA, otherwise why would they let him go?

Then you have about 10 RFA you potentially have to resign in the summer including Zherdev and Dubinsky. I dont get how this would work. Unless you traded a guy like Sanguinetti + someone with a notable contract for a top young guy and has a certainty of cost for the next 2 or 3 years... where the hell do you find that though?

There have been dozens of rumors suggesting this and other ludicrous trades, i just think its all hogwash.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I agree. Unless the Hawks really are offering Havlat with all his "issues" for Prucha + choice prospect. Id think about it.
It would be an intriguing proposal, but health issues aren't something that ever just go away. You assume Havlat is going to miss half the season, which only creates a bigger hole in your lineup.

Prucha is one of those guys who can write his own ticket if he keeps doing what he did in the limited preseason action I saw. Adopt a more Zherdev-like strategy, worry primarily about generating offense even if it means shirking some of your defensive duties and maximize your value to the team where they need it most.

Old
09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Havlat makes 6 million so I don't think he's an option...
Regardless of salary, I dont think that would help. The guy is just so pron to injury it would definitly be taking a step in the wrong direction.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I am totally cool with this........have been thinking for a while that they can package some bottom end guys.............

Prucha is still valuable regardless of what some people say.........Betts is a real good checking forward with value..............then they can also move some prospects that do have potential.......Jessiman , Moore,etc...............

This is Ek rumor but makes sense
We need a forward with actual scoring talent. Im sorry but Prucha, Betts, Moore, Speciman are garbage.

Why do we always think we can get away with giving garbage and getting a golden return?

Prucha is the only one with any trade value. If you want a proven NHL scorer... A Sanguenetti/Delzotto/Anisimov/Cherepanov/ is almost sure to be apart of it.

So Garbage (Prucha/Moore) and then Sanguenetti and a pick could land us something. Quantity, a player of actual quality, and a 1st/2nd round pick.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Agreed. Sounds like a typical quantity for quality move. Which never works especially when you are dealing with a cap.

Yes, this.

Also, who are all these "playmakers" on the team? Gomez and Zherdev are the only ones I can consider playmakers

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yes, this.

Also, who are all these "playmakers" on the team? Gomez and Zherdev are the only ones I can consider playmakers
Zherdev is hardly a playmaker, more of a finisher IMO. He only makes plays FOR HIMSELF.

Dubinsky is a play maker. Can hold on to the puck, protect it, and then dish it off when needed. Gomez, a play maker.

Naslund has not looked like a scorer in pre-season with all that ****ing passing.

Redden plain and simple play maker.

We need a scorer.

If it means trading Sanguenetti, Anisimov, Prucha and a high draft choice then Im all for it.

Old
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post

We need a scorer.

If it means trading Sanguenetti, Anisimov, Prucha and a high draft choice then Im all for it.

Thats a lot to offer imo. Who are they getting in return for that package?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:

Granted it doesnt always work but it would benefit the Rangers vastly here.

Look at all their extras.

Rissmiller, Voros, Sjostrom, Prucha, Betts... Package up 2 or 3 of them with a 1st/2nd and Sanguenetti/DZ/AA/CHERE

And you have yourself a proven scorer.

Old
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Fletch

I'm not sure how the Rangers can afford a top six sniper, unless there's one out there who's cheap now but whose contract is up at the end of the season. The rumor that they're looking for this winger is believable given the fact that they can't seem to score more than two goals and I'm not convinced that Renney's first option is to move Drury to win to solve the problem, which is what may cause a trade like this. The Rangers do have a bunch of assets, but would you want to actually trade those assets? I do wonder if Del Zotto's showing makes Sangs available for such a trade (yeah, the showing was limited and a lot can happen, but you still have to give to get).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Granted it doesnt always work but it would benefit the Rangers vastly here.

Look at all their extras.

Rissmiller, Voros, Sjostrom, Prucha, Betts... Package up 2 or 3 of them with a 1st/2nd and Sanguenetti/DZ/AA/CHERE

And you have yourself a proven scorer.
OK. Who?

Old
09-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Zherdev is hardly a playmaker, more of a finisher IMO. He only makes plays FOR HIMSELF.

Dubinsky is a play maker. Can hold on to the puck, protect it, and then dish it off when needed. Gomez, a play maker.

Naslund has not looked like a scorer in pre-season with all that ****ing passing.

Redden plain and simple play maker.

We need a scorer.

no no no and no.............

I have said this before and people think i am on crack but I think a Prucha, Betts, Jessiman, Potter and pick package gets a good top 6 player

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Fletch

Great Dubi...

I think you're being fair in your offer, but cap space needs to be cleared and at the same time, I would hope that if the Rangers made a move they don't move young assets for a guy who's not signed next year and he's essentially a rental.

Also, I wouldn't consider Dubi a playmaker just yet. Haven't seen a lot of creativity out of him.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote