HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maxime Oullet to attend Training Camp

Old
09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Maxime Oullet to attend Training Camp

The centerpiece of the Adam Oates trade and our once star goalie prospect has been invited to participate in Flyers training camp on a try-out basis and will compete with Jeremy Duchene for backup to Biron until Niittymaki returns.

Quote:
Also in camp for the Flyers will be one of their former first-round draft picks in Maxime Ouellet. The 27-year-old Ouellet who spent time in the AHL and ECHL last year has been brought in on a try-out basis.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._camp_preview/

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
What the worse that can happen, he makes the team..

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:17 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I was talking about Maxime the other day.
Oh what could have been had he stayed in the organization.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
I was talking about Maxime the other day.
Oh what could have been had he stayed in the organization.
What would he have become? It's not as if he became a stud NHL goalie after the trade.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What would he have become? It's not as if he did anything in the NHL after the trade.
Fixed that for you.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Chainsaw

He is not even a starter in the ECHL

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The centerpiece of the Adam Oates trade and our once star goalie prospect has been invited to participate in Flyers training camp on a try-out basis and will compete with Jeremy Duchene for backup to Biron until Niittymaki returns.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._camp_preview/
As a confession, I admit that that trade made me madder than any other trade in Flyers history, although the Poulin for Linsman is close. I am glad that the trade did not really come back to haunt us, although I would like to see what the draft picks we traded amounted to. I really thought Oulette was our goalie of the future. Hey, maybe he still is!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 11:36 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
As a confession, I admit that that trade made me madder than any other trade in Flyers history, although the Poulin for Linsman is close. I am glad that the trade did not really come back to haunt us, although I would like to see what the draft picks we traded amounted to. I really thought Oulette was our goalie of the future. Hey, maybe he still is!

I have to tell you that when I first heard we gave up our "Parent of the future" I was pissed. However, once I heard Bernie actually come out and confess that it was HE who advised Clarke to part with Oulette because he wouldn't listen to Bernie's coaching, that Oulette had a hitch in his game that would hold him back, AND that we had a much better prospect over in Europe (I didn't know who he was talking about at the time but it turned out to be Nitty) I didn't have a problem with it. That draft was suppose to be pretty weak after the top choices and the guys chosen with the picks we traded didn't do too much in the NHL if I'm not mistaken. All-in-all it "looked" like we gave up way too much for Oates but in reality we snookered THEM because we knew something bad about Oulette that nobody else knew. Personally, I'll take the advice that Bernie Parent gives us on any goalie prospect he's worked with over fans who just watch the game any day. Hell, I'll go with Parents advice over the top scouts too, I really think Bernie knows a little more about playing goalie than these guys.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
The picks were a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in '02, the Caps drafted Martin Vagner, Maxime Daigneault and Derek Krestanovich. So far, we gave absolutely nothing away.

But, Vagner was drafted at #26 (Slater (ATL) at #30 and Stoll (EDM) at #36), Daigneault was drafted at #59 (Fleischmann (DET) at #63 and Christensen (PIT) at #69) and Krestanovich at #92 (Filppula (DET) at #95). We could have done way better with the picks.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:13 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I have to tell you that when I first heard we gave up our "Parent of the future" I was pissed. However, once I heard Bernie actually come out and confess that it was HE who advised Clarke to part with Oulette because he wouldn't listen to Bernie's coaching, that Oulette had a hitch in his game that would hold him back, AND that we had a much better prospect over in Europe (I didn't know who he was talking about at the time but it turned out to be Nitty) I didn't have a problem with it. That draft was suppose to be pretty weak after the top choices and the guys chosen with the picks we traded didn't do too much in the NHL if I'm not mistaken. All-in-all it "looked" like we gave up way too much for Oates but in reality we snookered THEM because we knew something bad about Oulette that nobody else knew. Personally, I'll take the advice that Bernie Parent gives us on any goalie prospect he's worked with over fans who just watch the game any day. Hell, I'll go with Parents advice over the top scouts too, I really think Bernie knows a little more about playing goalie than these guys.
That is precisely the issue at hand. As a Reds' fans, especially in days gone by, I remember when they brought up a guy named Eric Davis who turned into a decent major leaguer, but some attached the label of "the next Willie Mays" to him. Generally those comparisons are nothing more than platitudes.

Trades are generally made to improve both teams but also trades can't be always analyzed by who was received and who was traded. When the Flyers traded Pete Peeters to Boston for Brad McCrimmon, it was done to shore up the defense and to open a spot for Pelle Lindbergh.

Clarke took a bold risk with the Oates transaction because of the severity of injuries to key players down the middle (Primeau and Roenick) AND because Oates was the NHL's leader in assists at the time that season. Maybe it was a panicky move considering the trade deadline was approaching but if he sat back and had two important players hurt, then he would have been castigated for sitting idle.

This is how CBC reported the trade:
Quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2002/...lyes_oats.html

Ouellet should be able to develop next season while serving as Olaf Kolzig's backup.
Commentators mocked the trade well after the playoffs and it was commonplace to hear terms like "stupid" and "haunt" in describing the deal. Luckily, it didn't materialize that way. The Flyers could have profited with the draft picks but there is no guarantee that they would have taken the players whose careers gained success.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Rick Deckard

We actually got the better end in the trade, we picked Alexandre Picard with the compensatory pick we received for Oates.

Old
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
We actually got the better end in the trade, we picked Alexandre Picard with the compensatory pick we received for Oates.
How does that make the trade better since Picard is no longer in the organization either?

Old
09-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
How does that make the trade better since Picard is no longer in the organization either?
He played around 70 games for us? Better than the combined ten (?) all the other players played.

Old
09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
He played around 70 games for us? Better than the combined ten (?) all the other players played.
Ok, I'll give that to you.

Old
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

This is from a March 6, 2000 Boston Globe column, two days after the Flyers beat the Bruins in Boston 3-0 and was Ray Bourque's final game. It dealt with the rumors that Bourque was about to be traded, perhaps to the Flyers:

Quote:
The key to something getting done here quickly could be Ouellet, the Flyers' sensational netminding prospect. He was nothing short of dazzling in the World Junior Tournament over the holidays, his play the only reason Canada was able to salvage a bronze medal. A Quebec kid whose style mirrors Patrick Roy's butterfly stops, Ouellet takes the job seriously, arriving at the arena three or four hours before faceoff, psyching himself up for the game.

If the Flyers are willing to throw him into the deal, Bourque almost certainly will be a Broad Streeter. He's exactly the kind of prospect the Bruins need to acquire in a swap of this magnitude, a kid with true potential to be a No. 1 goalie. Junior hockey and the minor professional leagues are littered with sure shots, the overwhelming percentage of whom never see the NHL, but Ouellet is widely considered many cuts above the mere wannabes.
Edit: Corrected date.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-20-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old
09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This is from a March 6, 2000 Boston Globe column, the day after the Flyers beat the Bruins in Boston 3-0 and was Ray Bourque's final game. It dealt with the rumors that Bourque was about to be traded, perhaps to the Flyers:

damn

09-20-2008, 12:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

damn
It could be that Gagne was the key, too.

Here is more, again from the March 6, 2000 Boston Globe column:
Quote:
A source connected with the Flyers organization said yesterday that the Bruins over the weekend provided Philly GM Bob Clarke with a list of players they would consider in a Bourque swap. It was then left for Clarke and his management team to cross any names off that list they were unwilling to sacrifice.

The first name removed, said the source, was Simon Gagne, the speedy 20-year-old pivot whom the Flyers believe could develop into a superstar. The Bruins also listed 18-year-old goalie Maxime Ouellet, a standout on the recent Canadian national junior squad. The source was not sure if Ouellet, the 22d pick overall in last June's draft, remained on the list that Clarke returned to Boston boss Harry Sinden.

However, the source confirmed that the Flyers did not cross off 21- year-old Mark Eaton, a 6-foot-3-inch defenseman who signed with the team as a free agent in the summer of '98, following his freshman year playing for ex-Bruin Dave Poulin at Notre Dame. Eaton, now with the Philly Phantoms (AHL), is skilled, but some scouts question whether he can stand up to the day-to-day banging that comes with the position.

Old
09-20-2008, 12:54 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:

Well, then...... glad it wasn't Gags.

Would've been nice to get Bourque for Ouellet and/or Eaton, though.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Well, then...... glad it wasn't Gags.

Would've been nice to get Bourque for Ouellet and/or Eaton, though.
nice is a severe understatement...it would have been a coup of epic proportions!

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:02 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
nice is a severe understatement...it would have been a coup of epic proportions!
Yea it would have been like Zhitnik for Coburn.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:

I remember hearing on TSN around that time or maybe a year or two later that Gagne was also the deal-breaker in a trade for Shane Doan. I'm pretty glad Clarke held onto that particular promising young player.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Yea it would have been like Zhitnik for Coburn.
Or it could have put us over the top like it eventually did for Colorado (along with Rob Blake)

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I remember hearing on TSN around that time or maybe a year or two later that Gagne was also the deal-breaker in a trade for Shane Doan. I'm pretty glad Clarke held onto that particular promising young player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Or it could have put us over the top like it eventually did for Colorado (along with Rob Blake)

I recall two nights after the Flyers played in Boston, that the Bruins had a home game and Bourque was scratched well in advance, unsurprisingly. It was a night game and Clarke was back in Philly thinking the Flyers were about to acquire Bourque who was an UFA after the season.

The big change occurred when Dave Andreychuk was scratched from the lineup for that game (against Ottawa or Buffalo, IIRC). That is when speculation grew and when Clarke found out Andreychuk was scratched supposedly he wasn't too happy because he knew that there was a dramatic change of events.

I think Andreychuk was an UFA too, but only Colorado of the major players inquired about him. (Colorado, Detroit, Philly, NJ and to a lesser degree St. Louis were reported in the hunt).

After the game, the Bruins announced the trade.

Old
09-20-2008, 02:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's so edgy being at a game when you know a big trade is going down. I remember when we traded Forsberg (during warmups). The game was secondary.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I remember watching that game on NESN and they were talking Bourque being traded, and they said something to the affect when Bourque arrived at the arena, that some of the Flyer players jokingly told him hey Bourque you are headed to the wrong lockerroom.
Bourque would have put us over the top that season IMO
here is the question, would you trade Gagne for a Cup? There is no question I would.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote