HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And the winner of 'worst thing to happen this offseason' is...

Old
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
And the winner of 'worst thing to happen this offseason' is...

Terry Murray being quoted by Helene Elliott in this mornings paper that Labarbera "In my mind he is (the number one goaltender). In my mind he clearly should be."

Seems Quick and Ersberg are battling it out for backup, but Elliot says:

Quote:
Also on Monday, Coach Terry Murray, undeterred by Jason LaBarbera's slow start following a seven-month layoff that included hernia surgery, designated LaBarbera as the No. 1 hoalie to open the season.
While I think having a designated number 1 is definately important, and better than ...

HOW EXACTLY HAS LABARBERA PROVED HE IS NUMBER 1 AT THIS POINT?!?!

He excuses his rustiness because of surgery months ago, but Ersberg isn't given as much slack for being sick to start camp?

I like Murray's style and what I've seen of his system thus far, but man I hope LaBarbera proves me wrong.

I think starting Labs is worse for the team, the season and ultimatley the confidence of the team and of Murray, than getting Sully under contract.

I just don't get why everyone in the organization is so convinced Labs is a number 1 goalie. I could understand a tandem, but designating him number 1 2 weeks before the season starts?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Terry Murray being quoted by Helene Elliott in this mornings paper that Labarbera "In my mind he is (the number one goaltender). In my mind he clearly should be."

Seems Quick and Ersberg are battling it out for backup, but Elliot says:

While I think having a designated number 1 is definately important, and better than ...

HOW EXACTLY HAS LABARBERA PROVED HE IS NUMBER 1 AT THIS POINT?!?!

He excuses his rustiness because of surgery months ago, but Ersberg isn't given as much slack for being sick to start camp?

I like Murray's style and what I've seen of his system thus far, but man I hope LaBarbera proves me wrong.

I think starting Labs is worse for the team, the season and ultimatley the confidence of the team and of Murray, than getting Sully under contract.

I just don't get why everyone in the organization is so convinced Labs is a number 1 goalie. I could understand a tandem, but designating him number 1 2 weeks before the season starts?

Here's to finishing last again boys and gals! You get what you pay for. This team is so close, yet too god damn cheap.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:31 PM
mysteryman

Meh....I could think of worse things.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Randart

I String Along JDM...

I was once very much a JLB supporter! And had hopes he would develope into a really good NHL Goalie, butt he can't stay healthy and he does not take credit for his poor play always has some excuses! This is unacceptable, as most of us have been held responsible for our work no matter what may occur!

I also think he has been given many opportunities to get his collective act together! Sadly he has not lived up to what I thought him capable, and with this slow start even thou supposedly he has finally gotten his conditioning to an elite level it does not bode well!

I think cause he is the only goalie in the Org. with extensive NHL experiance comparatively they think he is the number one! Just the mentallity of our management I think. I liked Ersberg and what he did last season, also Quick has nice potential. But really I hope we get the Bulin wall.

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:35 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

People are actually surprised by this decision?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Defgarden

If he can't prove it this season, he's gone. That's all there is to it. I'm hoping Quick gets a chance to prove himself this season, he's earned a little time with his play during the pre-season thus far.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:41 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
People are actually surprised by this decision?
Dissapointed, not surprised. I had hoped that since this season has already been all but officially written off, we would gamble more with the goaltender and give Ersberg or Quick a legit shot at number 1.

If anything I think they should wait until the end of camp to designate the number 1. Like Randart said, LaBarbera has already been given two legit chances and failed both times, even if the situation was somewhat out of his hands, he didn't respond well. He wasn't conditioned well. He didn't bounce back a couple years ago. From everything in the way he plays the game, tends to give up a goal almost always immediately after a soft goal, tells me his head isn't screwed on straight.

We are going young, why not give a young goalie a shot, especially with so much goalie depth. If we are grooming Bernier for the number 1 in the long run, why not give Ersberg the number 1 for this season? At the very least go for a tandem and split the games even.

The only encouraging thing from the story that I left out was that Murray said he sees the backup playing 25-30 games, which is atleast aaaaalmost half the games.

I'll still hope against hope that Labs can stay solid, but he's just shown weakness of mind too often over the last 3 years for me to have much hope left for him.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Dissapointed, not surprised. I had hoped that since this season has already been all but officially written off, we would gamble more with the goaltender and give Ersberg or Quick a legit shot at number 1.

If anything I think they should wait until the end of camp to designate the number 1. Like Randart said, LaBarbera has already been given two legit chances and failed both times, even if the situation was somewhat out of his hands, he didn't respond well. He wasn't conditioned well. He didn't bounce back a couple years ago. From everything in the way he plays the game, tends to give up a goal almost always immediately after a soft goal, tells me his head isn't screwed on straight.

We are going young, why not give a young goalie a shot, especially with so much goalie depth. If we are grooming Bernier for the number 1 in the long run, why not give Ersberg the number 1 for this season? At the very least go for a tandem and split the games even.

The only encouraging thing from the story that I left out was that Murray said he sees the backup playing 25-30 games, which is atleast aaaaalmost half the games.

I'll still hope against hope that Labs can stay solid, but he's just shown weakness of mind too often over the last 3 years for me to have much hope left for him.
We may be writing off the season, but they aren't.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:21 PM
not tellin*

What's this circus about? What's the big deal? Ersberg didn't come into camp or any preseason games and blow anyone away. Big deal. It's not like Labarbera is immune to sucking during the season enough to give Ersberg/Quick/Bernier a shot to take up the #1. He didn't say Laberbera is starting the rest of the year as the #1. If you didn't think he was the consensus #1 coming into this season then you though too much of Ersbergs 10 or so games last season.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
What's this circus about? What's the big deal? Ersberg didn't come into camp or any preseason games and blow anyone away. Big deal. It's not like Labarbera is immune to sucking during the season enough to give Ersberg/Quick/Bernier a shot to take up the #1. He didn't say Laberbera is starting the rest of the year as the #1. If you didn't think he was the consensus #1 coming into this season then you though too much of Ersbergs 10 or so games last season.
Very nice.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I'm a little nervous that Murray is going to rely too heavily on veterans to lead this team, much like Crawford was notorious for. Brown, Handzus, Stoll, and Preissing all wore As at Frozen Fury. I mean, Murray used Stoll and Army in the shootout, for Christ's sake.

As far as JLB goes, however, can anyone really say they didn't see this coming?

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:03 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I'm a little nervous that Murray is going to rely too heavily on veterans to lead this team, much like Crawford was notorious for. Brown, Handzus, Stoll, and Preissing all wore As at Frozen Fury. I mean, Murray used Stoll and Army in the shootout, for Christ's sake.

As far as JLB goes, however, can anyone really say they didn't see this coming?
Saw it coming and not surprised. I used to think JLB would rise to the top, but now I believe he's just an average NHL goalie, a good #2, not a #1 on any team. I think our vaunted new coach has little idea how to right this sinking ship, so he makes the easy decision. Since Quick is still up, he should be given the shot, and no call should be made until the season begins. But what do I know, I mean Murray has won so many more cups than I have!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Quattro

you're overreacting - the article also said the #2 would get at least 30 starts. All this really mean is Labs will start opening night. After that, who knows what will happen?

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
kingsfan25

10 games of solid play at the end of last season and a decent start to the preseason isn't enough to earn Ersberg some consideration for the #1 spot because two seasons of erratic play and a pre-season of downright bad play is enough to prove that JL is 'clearly' the man for the job.

Yep...sounds like conventional Kings wisdom to me. Has Marc Crawford been kept on as a goaltending consultant?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I expected this, so I'm not shocked. LOLBarbera always has a way of convincing people he is worth something in camp, only to suck it up after a few weeks and have the organization realize yet again that he isn't worth a squirt of piss. Murray and company will be changing their tune soon.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:14 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I expected this, so I'm not shocked. LOLBarbera always has a way of convincing people he is worth something in camp, only to suck it up after a few weeks and have the organization realize yet again that he isn't worth a squirt of piss. Murray and company will be changing their tune soon.
On the contrary. I understand you're continually blinded by this persistent hatred for Jason Labarbera and anything he does or says, but let's stick with the facts. I seem to recall Labarbera sucking for the preseason and first few games in 07/08, yet turning around and earning a star of the week in late October. He was still on his hot streak before the savage Smyth spear which sidelined him for a solid three weeks.

Old
09-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
On the contrary. I understand you're continually blinded by this persistent hatred for Jason Labarbera and anything he does or says, but let's stick with the facts. I seem to recall Labarbera sucking for the preseason and first few games in 07/08, yet turning around and earning a star of the week in late October. He was still on his hot streak before the savage Smyth spear which sidelined him for a solid three weeks.
"Turning it around?" That's rich.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Defgarden

If there's one cool thing I remember about Stephan Fiset, it's this awesome save he made, thwapping the puck out of midair with a backhand using his stick. It was freakin' awesome. C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! That's right. Killer Instinct.

Let's see LaBomba do that!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:08 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
"Turning it around?" That's rich.
What's more rich is how you seem to ignore blatant facts that dispute your very subjective opinion.

In 07/08, Labarbera had a horrible camp and preseason followed by three dismal outings during the five game losing streak at the beginning of the season. After that, he turned it around and posted a 0.67 GAA the following week, leading the Kings to four straight wins.

Old
09-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Number one holie, eh? Freudian slip?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
What's more rich is how you seem to ignore blatant facts that dispute your very subjective opinion.

In 07/08, Labarbera had a horrible camp and preseason followed by three dismal outings during the five game losing streak at the beginning of the season. After that, he turned it around and posted a 0.67 GAA the following week, leading the Kings to four straight wins.
Can someone pinpoint any consistency in LaBarbera's stats? http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=Play...=page&tab=gbgt

He's consistently inconsistent. Look what he did after the four consecutive wins in October. No wins until late November. Not to mention his five consecutive losses in December.

LaBarbera is a good backup goalie on most teams but a starter on a last place team.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
MJones31

vCash: 50
well the article said JbL would be starting tonight against the ducks and playing the whole game. So I say let's wait and see how he does. In my opinion he's not going to last long but at least the article also said we could bring up Bernier at anytime without a problem

MJones31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:24 PM
guzmania

I think he meant 5 "holey".

As much as I think Babs will never be "great", 8 rookies in front of any goalie will bring any tender to shell shock mode in just a few weeks. This team has all the earmarks of the worst team I've ever rooted for, and I used to root for the Seals, then they moved. Come to think of it Terry Murray was on that team. Humm?

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Mindcircus

I think Murray is trying to play the confidence card here. He probably thinks giving Labs a vote of confidence going into the season will give him that extra boost to play better. Not sure if it'll work, but if it doesn't this will be Labs' last season. I still expect a comity in goal.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
I think he meant 5 "holey".

As much as I think Babs will never be "great", 8 rookies in front of any goalie will bring any tender to shell shock mode in just a few weeks. This team has all the earmarks of the worst team I've ever rooted for, and I used to root for the Seals, then they moved. Come to think of it Terry Murray was on that team. Humm?
This team is better than the 96 and 97 teams.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote