HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

30 teams in 30 days - Raising banner No. 25 asking for too much? I think not!

Old
09-30-2008, 02:56 AM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

vCash: 500
30 teams in 30 days - Raising banner No. 25 asking for too much? I think not!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2512...s=topStory_nhl

Anything and everthing's getting me excited for the season to start

Last edited by White Spy: 09-30-2008 at 03:28 AM.
White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
thats a very good read.
i like the flying Kostitsin's
He pretty much nails everything right on the head except the backup goalie situation.

I'm more excited then ever for this season to get going. I can't wait for next Friday night!!

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 09-30-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:44 AM
Le Maroons

Yeah, that is a good read, the only thing I didn't agree with was Marc Denis possibly making Halak expendable. No way, we will need Halak a lot during the regular season an he will most likely do very well. Denis is not a threat.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:52 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Yeah, that is a good read, the only thing I didn't agree with was Marc Denis possibly making Halak expendable. No way, we will need Halak a lot during the regular season an he will most likely do very well. Denis is not a threat.
It's late, when I started posting my answer I meant to write I didnt like the part about Halak and Denis.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

I hate how they keep saying Lang and Kovalev should go back together.

Dumb!

His current line is fine, thnks, and TSN should have known that.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
I agree 100%

What is Halak's record at home 9-0-1.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
The writer of the article is right...Halak COULD become expendable. If Denis re-find his game and re-become a good goaltender, he will be a NHL goaltender. In that case, a trade could be made to make the team better. If we do want to trade someone, and we are all set in front of the net with three NHLers, Halak will be the odd man out because Price is untouchable, and Denis won't have much value. So yeah, Halak could become expendable, but in order to be true, there's many ifs...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:20 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Denis would really have to do a complete 180 to make Halak expendable at all.

As for the rest of it, good read. For this first time in a long time I have very high hopes for this team. Go Habs Go!!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post

As for the rest of it, good read. For this first time in a long time I have very high hopes for this team. Go Habs Go!!
It's true...that's one of the if, but it's not impossible, as we know he has the talent to be a starter in the league, and he's working with one of the best goaltender coach in the league.

Old
09-30-2008, 12:24 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post

Agree with the Denis 180 business. Plus, from seasons past, 2nd goaltenders don't usually bring a ton of return regardless of potential, so Halak night be worth more in the bag.

Few other problems, like overstating the UFA situation, saying Kovy could be moved back to D on the PP (!) and no mention of Chipchura.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Jedrik

I think that Halak might just as likely play himself out of town if he has a good series of starts. If he begins to look like a starting-calibre goaltender, then there is no reason for us to have two if some team wants to add to our depth to take him.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Agree with the Denis 180 business. Plus, from seasons past, 2nd goaltenders don't usually bring a ton of return regardless of potential, so Halak night be worth more in the bag.

Few other problems, like overstating the UFA situation, saying Kovy could be moved back to D on the PP (!) and no mention of Chipchura.
Well San Jose did quite well in that department as far as return is concerned.

They received two 2nd round picks for Kiprusoft, and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Toskala. They were both more proven than Halak, but if we wait a bit, we might receive something good for him.

Old
09-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
I hate how they keep saying Lang and Kovalev should go back together.

Dumb!

His current line is fine, thnks, and TSN should have known that.
It didn't say they 'should go back together,' but stated 'if' they're put back together. Besides, they're playing on the same line tonight against Detroit, so it shows how much YOU know!

Even on the best teams, you can't keep the same lines together for a full 82 game schedule. Injuries, scoring droughts and line juggling ALWAYS happens, so it's naive to think that Lang and Kovalev will never get ice time together as you have suggested...

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:54 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Doesn't Denis have a 1 year contract. As much as getting more depth for a long playoff run, I'm not sure that it would be worth having another UFA on the current roster. All depends on the return, obviously.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 03:56 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
I think that Halak might just as likely play himself out of town if he has a good series of starts. If he begins to look like a starting-calibre goaltender, then there is no reason for us to have two if some team wants to add to our depth to take him.
That is how I see it too; he won't get affordable, he'll surprise so many people that he'll get a shot on a starting job...

plus I wouldn't hate to see a veteran to backup price (ala Hackett when theo was here). Goaltender is a very stressful job and having a experience backup to calm down thing might simply be a good thing.

Trading Halak now would not be brilliant, but after chrismass when he got about 20 good starts his trade value might be more then the value added he bring to the team...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill View Post
Besides, they're playing on the same line tonight against Detroit, so it shows how much YOU know!
You have an amazing grasp of the present. Me, I need hindsight...

Stop putting words in my mouth (or out of MY keyboard). YOU would tear up the line that did so much last year? Shows what YOU know!

Old
09-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

I personally don't think Lang has made the transition to the 'new NHL. He's too slow - everywhere. Kovalev, on the other hand, seems to be excelling, now that he's decided to work hard and have fun again.

Putting them together tonight is actually good - perhaps it will illustrate the differences between the two players, these many years on since they last played together.

It's not going to work.

Old
09-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
I personally don't think Lang has made the transition to the 'new NHL. He's too slow - everywhere. Kovalev, on the other hand, seems to be excelling, now that he's decided to work hard and have fun again.

Putting them together tonight is actually good - perhaps it will illustrate the differences between the two players, these many years on since they last played together.

It's not going to work.
Actually, they were good together. There's chemistry for sure! We just had the confirmation that we will always have a good duo with Kovalev because he's good with Pleks and Lang...

Old
09-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Actually, they were good together. There's chemistry for sure! We just had the confirmation that we will always have a good duo with Kovalev because he's good with Pleks and Lang...
I disagree.

Except for that one drop pass (I think in the 2nd), I didn't see much chemistry at all. Lang was usually lagging behind the play.

He did get the game winner in the SO, though, so it's hard to dump on the guy. Maybe he needs to call Lats speed skating guru...