HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All Time Draft #10

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
shawnmullin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
confirmed

Old
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
nik jr

RW Jarome Iginla.

not sure if i needed to trade up, but i think iginla is a perfect fit with clarke. not only a great goalscorer, but also physical and good defensively.

Old
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
seventieslord

Nice pick, Nik. I was hoping to get him in a couple of rounds. Not to say you took him early - just that I'm greedy; I like a good deal. He absolutely deserves to get picked now, and I think he'll be considered a top-100 player soon. How many other players who led the NHL in goals twice, aren't on our top-100? How many of them brought as much to the table as Iginla?

Old
10-14-2008, 01:12 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Nice pick, Nik. I was hoping to get him in a couple of rounds. Not to say you took him early - just that I'm greedy; I like a good deal. He absolutely deserves to get picked now, and I think he'll be considered a top-100 player soon. How many other players who led the NHL in goals twice, aren't on our top-100? How many of them brought as much to the table as Iginla?
that is my thinking as well. there are very few players who have won the art ross, led the league in goals multiple times, led the playoffs in goals, been MVP (pearson), been a hart finalist 3 times.

i also think iginla was the best player in the '04 playoffs.

it seems to me, if someone had the same resume but played decades ago, that player would have already been picked (unless it were during the war).

i probably could have picked a similar scoring winger at 131, but not one who has the same defensive and physical game.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
it seems to me, if someone had the same resume but played decades ago, that player would have already been picked (unless it were during the war).
Probably picked even earlier than you think, but moreso due to competition level.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
Probably picked even earlier than you think, but moreso due to competition level.
Yeah, I think that's competition is an important point. I like Iginla a lot, and I think he deserves to be picked in this range, but when he was winning his two Richards the only players in the top-10 for goals picked thus far are Joe Sakic and his million year peak and Eric Lindros who was tied for ninth and a shell of his peak self.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I like Iginla a lot, and I think he deserves to be picked in this range
I do as well. One of my favorite recent Iginla moments, I was watching a Ducks/Flames game last year at some point and there was one sequence where Iginla had the puck along the boards and he was being defended from behind by S.Niedermayer who was a full sticklength or so away from him in order to not get beat or spun off, etc. He still got beat and Iginla got to the goal and got off a great shot. He is an absolute beast along the boards in the offensive zone no matter how he is played.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
I have a sneaking suspicion that as we get into ATD 11, 12, 13 and so on that Iginla will continue to move up the chart. Too much of a total package to stay in the mid-late 100's

10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that as we get into ATD 11, 12, 13 and so on that Iginla will continue to move up the chart. Too much of a total package to stay in the mid-late 100's
He's also continually adding to his resume. When you consider the infusion of talent into the league, his season last year has to be up there with his best seasons before the lockout.

Old
10-14-2008, 01:51 PM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
To me: 121, Hedberg's 13
To Hedberg: 134, my 11
121st pick will be used on Eric Lindros
I really like this pick on this team. Has anyone else noticed that Cotton has quietly assembled a team of redwoods? Butch is the SMALLEST player on the team. Even the goalie is huge! And now with this Lindros pick...Unless some things change (there's still a whole draft to go, so I'm really just speculating) Lindros is going to run rampant in the Hewitt. There are some top end dmen, but nobody that's going to crunch the big E with his head down. Three of the few guys that are capable of containing him physically on a regular basis are ON HIS TEAM! Once the crossover is made and Dallas runs into a team like the Maroons or the Bisons things might be different, but this team is shaping up to be one of my favourites.

Old
10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yeah, I think that's competition is an important point. I like Iginla a lot, and I think he deserves to be picked in this range, but when he was winning his two Richards the only players in the top-10 for goals picked thus far are Joe Sakic and his million year peak and Eric Lindros who was tied for ninth and a shell of his peak self.
Was it a bit of a lull in talent? Sure. But he was still the best in the NHL and therefore the world. The league wasn't watered down by any external factor like the WHA or the war so I'd hesitate to penalize him too much.

Also, keep in mind that players in the 70's and 80's who were making the top-10 were doing so in the absence of some of the world's top players like Kharlamov, Nedomansky, Makarov, Mikhailov, and others not yet selected who'd have made it harder for them to crack that list. Post-1990, there has been no question, except in very rare, isolated cases, that the 10-20 best players on earth are all in the NHL. I give extra credit to Iginla and his modern peers for that - perhaps enough to wipe out the doubt about the slight competition lull.

Old
10-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
new thread

updating it before i disappear to watch the election here in Canada

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=561808

Closed Thread