HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

BG: "I'd rather have someone who stays than a loaner."

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Joe Malone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I just read the same thing on the RDS website. RDS' article also mentions BG's comment about the Koivu/Ribeiro incident:

Are you kidding me?? Fans went through 7 pages of posts regarding the alleged "blasting" BG gave Koivu (see thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=54565) , all brought to you by La Presse and based on "very solid sources"? Oy...
That thread began with:

According to La Presse, Bob Gainey severely blasted Saku privately...after the Captain went after Ribeiro. This was written in today's La Presse by columnist Michel Blanchard, who claims to have "very solid sources"...another rat around our beloved Habs???

So, at the risk of starting another 7 pages of posts, can I say that Michel Blanchard and/or La Presse are unreliable..........on a consistant basis? I don't live in Montreal and obviously don't read the papers there. But often on this board, the Montreal papers are a source of information. Again, I don't want to start a long drawn-out discussion. I just want to know if this paper and its writer can be taken off my credibility list.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:26 AM
H-Bear

I think Smyth is a pipe dream for you guys. He's not untouchable, but he would cost a lot more then a young team like the Habs would be willing to give up. It would cost something like Markov ++ or Garon +++.

Isbister on the other hand, could be had for a fairly reasonable price; perhaps Hainsey straight up (or a mid to late pick your way to even it up).

Old
02-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Darz

Although I would love to see mane of the names mentioned end up on the habs, please remember the price tags aren't going to be cheap. No GM in the league is going to just give us a Smyth or Cole. We will be paying through the nose for these type of players. We would probabely have to give up a couple of our young players/prospects, and trust me Hainsey and/or Hossa aren't the ones the opposing GM's are looking at.

I still think the type of player Gainey is looking at bringing in is a low cost role type player, maybe with a year left on a relatively cheap contract.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:44 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Although I would love to see mane of the names mentioned end up on the habs, please remember the price tags aren't going to be cheap. No GM in the league is going to just give us a Smyth or Cole. We will be paying through the nose for these type of players. We would probabely have to give up a couple of our young players/prospects, and trust me Hainsey and/or Hossa aren't the ones the opposing GM's are looking at.

I still think the type of player Gainey is looking at bringing in is a low cost role type player, maybe with a year left on a relatively cheap contract.
I could almost guarantee you EDM would be VERY interested in Hainsey. We have NO offensive defensemen on our team, and none in the system (with the exception of Bergeron, who has some serious limitations). I think a Isbister for Hainsey deal would be super for both clubs.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
I could almost guarantee you EDM would be VERY interested in Hainsey. We have NO offensive defensemen on our team, and none in the system (with the exception of Bergeron, who has some serious limitations). I think a Isbister for Hainsey deal would be super for both clubs.
Well maybe for Isbister that works, but I know that Lowe would laugh at a Smyth-Hainsey type trade.

Also, I think too many people overrate Isbister. I mean he has a nice mix of size and skill (so does Kilger sometimes..) but he's scored 20 goals only once in his career, and is getting known as a little injury prone.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:55 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Well maybe for Isbister that works, but I know that Lowe would laugh at a Smyth-Hainsey type trade.

Also, I think too many people overrate Isbister. I mean he has a nice mix of size and skill (so does Kilger sometimes..) but he's scored 20 goals only once in his career, and is getting known as a little injury prone.
It's hard to argue that he has had a tonne of injuries as of late (all of them minor), but I can certainly tell you that he has played much better this year than in the past. He is driving to the net hard, and playing with some umph in his game. It certainly wouldn't be easy to give him up, but getting a talented player like Hainsey back would certainly ease the pain.

Old
02-26-2004, 09:07 AM
mcphee

Someone posted recently that Hossa and Hainsey will have to be protected in the waiver draft next season. I suspect that his evaluation of these 2 will weigh on whatever trades he makes other than an Eastwood sort of pickup.

Old
02-26-2004, 09:33 AM
skidboot

How about Brendan Witt?

Can't have enough of those D-Men who can clear the crease allowing only the one shot.

Mean SOB who doesn't back down.

Old
02-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Subban Fan

How about Anson Carter...could fit well with Koivu and Zednik!!!

Old
02-26-2004, 09:40 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot
How about Brendan Witt?

Can't have enough of those D-Men who can clear the crease allowing only the one shot.

Mean SOB who doesn't back down.
I agree, I'd feel good about Souray,Markov,Witt on the left side for awhile.

Old
02-26-2004, 09:42 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot
How about Brendan Witt?
Definately would like to see Witt in Montreal......depending on the price mind you.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:43 PM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Someone posted recently that Hossa and Hainsey will have to be protected in the waiver draft next season. I suspect that his evaluation of these 2 will weigh on whatever trades he makes other than an Eastwood sort of pickup.
Clever of you to bring up the ubiquitous ramifications of the waiver draft.

Closed Thread