HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseaon: Nashville vs Carolina 10/2/08

Old
10-02-2008, 05:11 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Preseason: Nashville vs Carolina 10/2/08

vs

7pm, Sommet Center

104.5 FM

Last home preseason game. Preview/camp notes

Last game...almost a week ago... W 3-1 vs CBJ Recap

Injury news
Quote:
Ville Koistinen, who missed the first three preseason games with injuries, may play in all three of the remaining preseason contests ...
.... Jason Arnott, who also missed the first three games, said he expects to play today and Sunday....
David Legwand, who missed practice again Wednesday as he recovers from a sore knee, won't play today but is likely to play Friday at Atlanta...

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:55 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 6000
alrighty then, it isnt even game 1 and Legwands knee is scaring me.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 01:49 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

The game would have scared you more. Good thing this was just preseason.

Bad goals given up by Ellis. Suter was terrible in the first period. The whole team was crappy. They finally woke up in the third but as usual, it was too late.

Arnott and Hornqvist had 5 shots each, Dumont had 6 but none of them had any points.

Total shots on goal were NSH 32- CAR 30. But, total attempted shots were NSH 67- CAR 45. Usually during the season it's the other way around.

Joel Ward's snuck through Cam Wards legs after an initial save, partial breakaway and he shot 5hole and it looked like it was going to be stopped but then slipped through. Fiddler's was just a wide shot from the boards that Leighton just plain missed with his glove. Maybe the goals weren't as ugly as I thought they were...

Ellis wasn't very sharp. The first goal was a shot from the point through lots of traffic (I'm seeing a pattern with all these goals from the points). The second (short-handed) was a turnover by Ellis (attempted to clear and kept in at the blueline by a CAR player) and then Suter let the guy skate right around him. The guy shot it basically along the goal line and somehow Ellis wasn't covering the post completely because it went in. The third goal (powerplay) Ellis was out of the crease and on his stomach and no one was back to take the man or clear out the rebound. The fourth was an EN goal.

Last edited by sparkle twin: 10-03-2008 at 02:45 AM. Reason: I remember things wrong....
Old
10-03-2008, 02:44 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

That was a sloppy, sloppy hockey game. We were absolutely dreadful in the first, slightly better in the second, and we finally got some real offensive pressure in the 3rd.

Arnott and Dumont, especially Arnott, played like guys with nothing to prove. Can't say I necessarily blame them, but being the leadership core of the team, that may not be all that great of an idea, even in a preseason game.

Hörnqvist almost always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He probably should've had a goal tonight.

That penalty on Dumont was positively bogus. I would really like to know the logic behind that call.

Dan Ellis had a great night. He had a pair of great assists in the first period. One where he passed it straight to Babchuk and one where... well, I don't know what happened on that second goal. He's got to cover the near post better, though. (Can also blame Suter for laying off Bayda and letting him even attempt the shot.) He seemed to get better as the game went on and had that great pair of saves against Staal on the breakaway towards the end. Those two early goals were major millstones, though.

If my father hadn't pointed out Jones to me, I don't think I would've seen him tonight. He was invisible out there. Of course, with Peverley and Tootoo for linemates, I probably would be, too.

Pihlström looks like he really wants a roster spot. He's got me convinced. He played really well tonight.

If Ward can play like that on a nightly basis, I would have no problem with him staying with the big club. He got caught on a couple of long shifts, but beyond that, he played pretty well, I thought.

After the Gratton-Gillies fight, the Tarnasky trade is starting to make a great deal more sense. Send us a postcard from Milwaukee, Josh.

Here's a new team rule: unless he's got a wide open 4x6 target to shoot at, never, ever, ever, pass up a shot to pass the puck to Greg Zanon. Ever.

Koistinen had a decent game, but for the love of all things holy, don't pair him with Zanon anymore. There's so much liability out there with that pairing it's not even funny.

Bonk got about the ideal amount of ice time- next to none. He made a couple of decent plays and made no mistakes. If we keep his ice time low, we should be okay.

Sulzer will really benefit from another year in Milwaukee.

Overall, we have many of the same weaknesses as last year. Our power play is god-awful; lots and lots of defensive breakdowns; inconsistent goaltending; we can't play three straight good periods of hockey; and possibly the biggest thing for me, we simply do not play the body enough. Occasionally Weber or Hamhuis or Tootoo or Pihlström will put someone in the boards, but having four or maybe five guys that will put someone in the boards is not a good thing to have. We need another good middle six forward that can make plays and finish checks. It would also help a great deal if Arnott was just ###### off all the time, as that seems to be the only way to get him to hit people.

With all that said, I'm not gonna hit the panic button just yet: it's only the preseason, after all. But these next two games should see more of the regulars in the lineup as a tune-up for the regular season, so we'll get a better taste of what this team is capable of. I hope...

Oh, and big props to Carolina for being a fantastic forechecking team. They kept us on our heels for much of the night. Not like that's hard to do...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 02:56 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If Ward can play like that on a nightly basis, I would have no problem with him staying with the big club. He got caught on a couple of long shifts, but beyond that, he played pretty well, I thought.

Here's a new team rule: unless he's got a wide open 4x6 target to shoot at, never, ever, ever, pass up a shot to pass the puck to Greg Zanon. Ever.

Sulzer will really benefit from another year in Milwaukee.
Ward played well. He was everywhere and in everything. I like him.

Another team rule should be that if a player is less than 10 feet from the net and an opposing player is coming toward you, don't wind up for a damn slapshot. I'm so sick of our guys doing that, they did it all last year and they're starting again this year. Tootoo however, I don't think he knows how to take any other shot than a slapshot no matter where he's at on the ice.

It's weird seeing Sulzer in #44. Flashbacks of yelling at Timonen happen.

Old
10-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
First goal was deflected by Sutter standing in front of Ellis. Dan never saw the shot and he certainly had no time to react to the deflection. Second one he has to have from that angle. Anyone else think our boards and glass our much more lively this season? Staal certainly took advantage of it on the third goal. Had to leave early to run a practice, but listened to the fourth goal on the empty net...you know it is preseason when you pull your goalie and have Peverley-Jones-Tootoo out there!

Thought we were totally disorganized. Ice sucked, but that's not an excuse...both teams play on the same ice. It did however keep the score much closer in the first two periods than it should have been. Carolina plays a lock similiar to Detroit...hopefully we figure it out before having to take on the Wings...

Jones looked HORRID. Didn't make any impact when he tried to throw around his body and made some really poor decisions with and without the puck.

Sulzer was absolutely horrid too, especially in the first. Settled down a bit in the second, but really needs another season in Milwaukee.

Klein was trying to do too much. Peverley's hooking minor at the end of the second was caused by Klein pinching up at our blueline on the PK with the attack coming as a slow-developing 3 on 2. Thankfully Peverley got back to prevent a goal, but had to commit a penalty to do so. Definitely deserves more ice time this season though...probably in the top-six.

Ward could be a regular third liner on most NHL teams...if he learned to lengthen his stride. Geez, it was brutal watching him see the game a step ahead of most people only to arrive too late to make a lot of plays. Great penalty killer, solid hockey knowledge...just needs to learn to skate better.

Gratton should be given the next two games to get his face pounded in and save the wear and tear on people that are actually going to be playing in Nashville...because he sure isn't going to be. Hear the brats are great in Milwaukee Josh...

The thing that probably upset me more than anything sitting in the stands tonight was that the Predators skated hard to get into position to make a play and then consistently refused to take the final two strides to actually follow through and make something happen. Why skate hard somewhere only to glide the last two strides and let your opponent blow by you??? Carolina really showed up the Predators tonight in terms of effort and battle level. More than anything else, that disgusts me as a fan. Why am I paying good money to watch you play at half-speed and get reamed??? We are a blue collar hockey team and if the effort level isn't there when the puck drops in St. Louis...we are in for a very dismal season.

Another part that was hard to watch tonight was seeing the team not run the same systems they have been working on in practice. They look pretty good in practice...are we saving them for the regular season or are they only looking good because we are playing against ourselves???

Liked the effort I saw coming out of the locker room in the third, but have to wonder where it was in the first two periods? Hockey is not a game that you can simply flip a switch and be ready to go...these boys better pickup the effort in the final two preseason games.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Sorry for the negativity, but I hate Carolina passionately due to growing up in Hartford and having ponytail rip the team out from Hartford in a greedy, slimy fashion.

This game simply didn't sit well with me...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 05:58 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Gratton should be given the next two games to get his face pounded in and save the wear and tear on people that are actually going to be playing in Nashville...because he sure isn't going to be. Hear the brats are great in Milwaukee Josh...

after watching the video. The fight was a draw so why is everyone so down on Gratton.

oh and I'd be a tad nervous about handing over an enforcer job to someone with less heavyweights on his fight card than Andreas Lilja

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 06:31 PM
braindead

Quick question: Every time I come to this thread to post a summary, I spontaneously throw up in my mouth. Should I swallow or spit it out?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:33 PM
cantwell7

Wings fan here .. is Steve Sullivan goina play this year ?

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwell7 View Post
Wings fan here .. is Steve Sullivan goina play this year ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:50 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Quick question: Every time I come to this thread to post a summary, I spontaneously throw up in my mouth. Should I swallow or spit it out?
out with it man.

Sully is done.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 01:59 PM
cantwell7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
i guess that is a no ..

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old