HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan

Old
10-01-2008, 04:53 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Callahan is that hard nosed agitator who can skate and score. He can play anywhere, much like a Sean Avery or an Esa Tikkanen.

Don't expect huge offensive numbers from him, though he'll do all the little things and contribute some offensively. He's the perfect 2nd/3rd liner and to compare him to a 4th liner, part time NHLer, like Hollweg is just wrong.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Callahan is that hard nosed agitator who can skate and score. He can play anywhere, much like a Sean Avery or an Esa Tikkanen.

Don't expect huge offensive numbers from him, though he'll do all the little things and contribute some offensively. He's the perfect 2nd/3rd liner and to compare him to a 4th liner, part time NHLer, like Hollweg is just wrong.
Well put.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
zaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
I never said the game was about how many points someone can put up. However, your saying he's the complete package of a hockey player, and also a playmaker, where as he's anything but those two things. A complete package player generally includes points, not like 30 points, but POINTS.
Look at his numbers in the AHL and OHL, the kids knows how to score and will put up points, maybe not 30+. Case and point, Today vs Metallurg. He makes the big plays, and thats why he needs to stay.

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Cally is usually all over the ice doing a bit of everything. If he has to sacrifice some offensive spark (on a third line player) to be a better all around player, that's fine by me.

And that takeaway and goal today was just, beautiful.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Wow, what irony... About 2 hours after the thread is posted the kid saves the day...

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Wow, what irony... About 2 hours after the thread is posted the kid saves the day...
Nothing new. Remember all the doomsday threads last year about Jagr, Drury, Gomez... even Henrik? We love to doubt our roster!

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
John Torturella

I think a 20-20 year for Callahan is realistic. Even if his offense doesnt develop, he would be a great 4th liner, but he clearly has skill and he has adjusted to each level of play.

My favorite thing about him is when he forechecks. He becames an unstoppable buzzsaw out there. Its fun to watch.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Vinster

Exactly! Why do people keep putting Callahan down? What are they watching?

Vinster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Captain Monglobster

He's a great forechecker but he shoots from bad angles too much without looking to make a play first.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

cally actually IS an effective playmaker, just not in the traditional sense. he doesn't make wizard like passes or move the D around or anything like that, but he creates chances. he does it by forechecking, creating turnovers, and putting rubber at the net. all of those things get the puck to his teammates in good scoring positions.

that being said, i think the third line is his limit with second line call up duties...

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:28 PM
TheSchwab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinster View Post
Exactly! Why do people keep putting Callahan down? What are they watching?
In my experience over the past year here, only about half the Rangers fans on this board actually understand hockey and how it works.

Old
10-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
cally actually IS an effective playmaker, just not in the traditional sense. he doesn't make wizard like passes or move the D around or anything like that, but he creates chances. he does it by forechecking, creating turnovers, and putting rubber at the net. all of those things get the puck to his teammates in good scoring positions.

that being said, i think the third line is his limit with second line call up duties...
Agreed, in a more balanced attack, he should thrive on the 3rd line:

Naslund-Gomez-Drury
Dawes-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Callahan-Korpikoski-Prucha
Voros-Betts-Orr/Sjostrom

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
I think a 20-20 year for Callahan is realistic. Even if his offense doesnt develop, he would be a great 4th liner, but he clearly has skill and he has adjusted to each level of play.

My favorite thing about him is when he forechecks. He becames an unstoppable buzzsaw out there. Its fun to watch.
I agree with this. 20-20 sounds reasonable for him through 82 games. I think he is a nice 3rd line player. 4th liners aren't that good. Betts is a 4th liner with his 8-10 points per year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Pizza

This thread is....pretty funny.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:18 AM
FrontRow

In all honesty, when Callahan first got called up I fell in love with the way the kid played. That game he had against Boston, awesome. Last year I felt he took a step back, mostly due to the injuries. I feel that his energy is unmatched on this team. He does whatever it takes to win and that will hopefully become more apparent to the casual fan this season. That goal today was HUGE.

FrontRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:41 AM
JayMan82

He definitely has the potential to be our version of Chris Draper... Nough said...

JayMan82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 01:29 AM
FLYLine24*

I really cannot understand why ANYONE would not want Ryan on this team.

-He plays with so much heart, top 3 EASILY on the team, maybe even #1.
-Hard nosed grinder then hits everything (but not like a moron like Hollweg did).
-Plays good defnse, never have to worry about him in the defensive zone.
-HAS offensive skill and has shown us that in the 2 years with the Rangers, and has had plenty in the OHL and AHL...only going to get better in the NHL.
-Sticks up for his teammates.

Again....who the hell would be against him on the team? In 5 years he will be wearing a A for us and I hope he is a career Ranger.

And people saying...if he doesn't develop he will be a good 4th liner...um..sorry to burst your bubble, but he is already the ideal 3rd liner for this team.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 02:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I really cannot understand why ANYONE would not want Ryan on this team.

-He plays with so much heart, top 3 EASILY on the team, maybe even #1.
-Hard nosed grinder then hits everything (but not like a moron like Hollweg did).
-Plays good defnse, never have to worry about him in the defensive zone.
-HAS offensive skill and has shown us that in the 2 years with the Rangers, and has had plenty in the OHL and AHL...only going to get better in the NHL.
-Sticks up for his teammates.

Again....who the hell would be against him on the team? In 5 years he will be wearing a A for us and I hope he is a career Ranger.

And people saying...if he doesn't develop he will be a good 4th liner...um..sorry to burst your bubble, but he is already the ideal 3rd liner for this team.

agree with everything....people have to realise that some players are better at other parts of the game....callahan is a very good pker and creates chances with his tenacity and hitting....is it pretty?....no....but who the hell cares?.....i sure dont....and the thing is, he has scored at every level...so he has the skill, all he needs is some confidence and some teaching......to me, he reminds me of drury....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
The Bern game was not the best for Callahan and yes I was one of those doubters who saw him nothing more than a 3rd liner.

I think he is a good energy 3rd liner and certainly a huge step up from Hollywood.

I am also concerned about people knocking Dawes. Remember he was our no 1 Penalty taker and these decide games. for this reason alone I think Dawes will see regular action....I still reckon he would be better placed next to Gomez than Naslund.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
yeah let's trade the guy that got teh GW in Vic Cup.

Get rid of Dawes...Theo Fleury II.
I'll gladly take Theo Fleury type production.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
In my experience over the past year here, only about half the Rangers fans on this board actually understand hockey and how it works.
I'd say half of the people here don't actually watch the games.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
TheSchwab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'd say half of the people here don't actually watch the games.
haha possibly true...

Old
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Nich

Quote:
agreed 100000000%

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I wonder if people actually watch the games and know what their watching.

I think Callahan had one of the best camps, if not the best.

Yeah, he only had one huge goal to show for it, but he hustled his ass off all camp and showed that he belonged here.

Sure, he may not have a breakout year or put up the numbers you think a guy like him should, but hes sure put himself in a position to going in. Not only that but he starting to truly make an effect on the game in other areas. Hes in opponents faces, hes not afraid to get into the traffic areas and he keeps the pace up every shift.

I dont know what some of you are seeing out there saying he better watch his back because of Fritsche. Goals arent everything people. IMO hes excels better at what the Rangers need than Fritsche does from what ive seen. Fritsche is not as good handling the puck or on the boards as Callahan, hes got speed and a shot but Cally offers more IMO.

And I'm not talking him up just now because he won the game last night, ive been saying this all preseason.

Dont discount the fact that about 100 Devils fans came in here last year and singled out Dubinsky and Callahan as players they'd love to have. That says something to me.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 10:38 AM
TheSchwab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
agreed 100000000%
Of course, I know whats going on

On a completely OT note: sometimes I'm embarassed to be an NYR fan because NY Sports fans in general get caught up in the "show" of sports. I now cherish my Boston Red Sox upbringing because I learned to have faith in my teams, and that when they play bad it can only get better. Half of the NYR fans on this board think that Hockey works like, for example, NHL 09. Where the team with the most "skills" on paper wins, and only snipers and danglers win games.

IDK, small rant there, but its true. Not to mention the apocalypse comes every time we lose 2 games in a row...