HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Preissing (pp qb)

Old
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
nuck4life*

vCash: 500
Tom Preissing (pp qb)

Stole this idea from cdc, but he sounds like a pretty good fit without handcuffing our team.

The Good
Makes smart decisions with the puck. Is capable of putting up good offensive numbers, especially if given regular ice time with the man advantage.

The Bad
Undersized, and will always face an uphill battle against NHL power forwards. Must still prove he can log big minutes in the big league.

-he could help out our pp tremendously, given that he has another right-handed shot. so we wouldn't be solely relying on bieksa (since salo is hurt 40% of the time)
-possibly a mid-level prospect or a 2nd and 3rd rounder? so it doesn't cost us too much
-the guy put up decent numbers during sens cup run, 7pts in 20games, while he had a +/- of 3.
-best thing about him is his salary. 2.75, remember the cap room, sundin left on the table? we could add him and still have some more leftover
-another thing i would like to touch on is that he is a veteran d-man. he's been there, (and almost done that!!), so he knows what needs to be done. we don't have too many of those right now, and it's vital for every legit cup run.

overall, he's not the kaberle or jaybo we are wishing for, but he is probably just as capable of getting the job done.

this is what kings fans think of him if you're interested
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=585127

Last edited by nuck4life*: 12-22-2008 at 01:59 PM.
nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
zepps

I liked him when he was in Ottawa. Wonder where he would fit here. Wasn't he near the bottom in Ottawa during their run?

Phillips-Volchenkov
Redden-Meszaros
Corvo-Preissing
Schubert

They had some nice depth. Not sure if that was a reflection of Priessing's play or whether everyone else was just that good.

zepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:57 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

No thank you....

Preissing is terrible imo.

settinguptheplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Wellwood You

Preissing is not a rental -- he's in the first year of a $11M, four year contract.

Unless I missed something, I don't think he's on the market either.

EDIT: Second year of his deal, not first -- thanks pits.

Last edited by Wellwood You: 12-22-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Jobu

I like Preissing, but unsure about his contract. Preissing has been a healthy scratch much of the year in LA.

Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I like Preissing, but unsure about his contract. Preissing has been a healthy scratch much of the year in LA.
And him being a healthy scratch says a lot, considering LA's defense regulars are Quincey, Doughty, O'Donnell, Greene, and Gauthier.

Not exactly the toughest spot to earn.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:09 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
Preissing is not a rental -- he's in the first year of a $11M, four year contract.

Unless I missed something, I don't think he's on the market either.
Second year of his deal.

Not sure what happend to Preissing, he was a good player with the Sharks/Senators for two years but this season he's had trouble cracking the Kings lineup and their defense isn't particularly deep so he'd probably have trouble cracking the Canucks's lineup.

Don't know if he enough an upgrade offensively either. I'd rather give up the assets needed to get a top end puck mover. It's going to be a team need beyond this season anyway and there isn't anything coming up through the system to change that.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Vector

He'd be someone I'd consider if he was coming extremely cheap or part of a bigger deal. Say we're trading one of our defenceman for an LA forward and Preissing is the defensive replacement coming back.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Peter Griffin

I wouldn't pick him up off waivers to be honest.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I wouldn't pick him up off waivers to be honest.
Yup. Don't like his contract for a 30 year old guy that looks like he's no better than a 3rd pairing guy.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONORI FICABILI TUDI View Post
Stole this idea from cdc, but he sounds like a pretty good fit without handcuffing our team.

The Good
Makes smart decisions with the puck. Is capable of putting up good offensive numbers, especially if given regular ice time with the man advantage.

The Bad
Undersized, and will always face an uphill battle against NHL power forwards. Must still prove he can log big minutes in the big league.

-he could help out our pp tremendously, given that he has another right-handed shot. so we wouldn't be solely relying on bieksa (since salo is hurt 40% of the time)
-possibly a mid-level prospect or a 2nd and 3rd rounder? so it doesn't cost us too much
-the guy put up decent numbers during sens cup run, 7pts in 20games, while he had a +/- of 3.
-best thing about him is his salary. 2.75, remember the cap room, sundin left on the table? we could add him and still have some more leftover
-another thing i would like to touch on is that he is a veteran d-man. he's been there, (and almost done that!!), so he knows what needs to be done. we don't have too many of those right now, and it's vital for every legit cup run.

overall, he's not the kaberle or jaybo we are wishing for, but he is probably just as capable of getting the job done.

this is what kings fans think of him if you're interested
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=585127
Stopped reading right there.

But my short opinion is this: Preissing is a decent depth defenseman, but at his current cap hit he's overpaid.

12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
nuck4life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
Stopped reading right there.

But my short opinion is this: Preissing is a decent depth defenseman, but at his current cap hit he's overpaid.
hey, some people aren't that bad over there

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
eldiablo17

The reason it was on CDC and not here was because we thought about and then realized it would be a bad idea and decided not to even go there.

I agree with the above posters, I would not take Preissing off waivers.

If we the team is seriously looking at a good puck moving defenseman the only players that really interest me at this point in time (depending on their cost) that may be available are:

Kaberle
Bouwmeester
Kuba
Spacek
Schneider (if we have cap space and only due to his low cost)
and maybe Leopold

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 03:48 PM
sticknrink

I'm almost certain we'll be acquiring Kaberle at the deadline.

- 2.5m space prorates to what he makes
- connection with Sundin and Wellwood, his NTC will dictate where he wants to go
- not a Burke player, so he'll be moved
- NTC gives us leverage, Burke might have to just take a first or second pick

The downside is that Burke might be stubborn about being snubbed and the organization and simply won't make a deal.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post

- connection with Sundin and Wellwood, his NTC will dictate where he wants to go

The downside is that Burke might be stubborn about being snubbed and the organization and simply won't make a deal.
Kaberle is a top 15 defenseman in the league, in his prime and his contract is a steal at $4.25mil for another 2 seasons beyond this one. His price would be very high, now or at the deadline.

I don't think we really have the assets to acquire Kaberle. The guy's we would be willing to part with aren't big, robust Burke types of players. Steve Bernier is the type of player Burke would be after but he cannot be dealt this year.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Kaberle is a top 15 defenseman in the league, in his prime and his contract is a steal at $4.25mil for another 2 seasons beyond this one. His price would be very high, now or at the deadline.

I don't think we really have the assets to acquire Kaberle. The guy's we would be willing to part with aren't big, robust Burke types of players. Steve Bernier is the type of player Burke would be after but he cannot be dealt this year.
Any deal for Kaberle would have to start with Edler, I'd imagine.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post

Isn't Kaberle's NTC null and void if the Leafs miss the playoffs this year? If so, the Leafs are better off to wait until the draft when they'll have plenty of teams to shop him too.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:33 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Isn't Kaberle's NTC null and void if the Leafs miss the playoffs this year? If so, the Leafs are better off to wait until the draft when they'll have plenty of teams to shop him too.
I believe this only applies to the last year of his contract if I'm reading the below correct. From Berger:

Quote:
The wide-spread notion that Maple Leafs' defenceman Tomas Kaberle loses his no-trade protection this summer is inaccurate. There is a clause in Kaberle's contract that provides the Leafs a window of opportunity to trade him after a season in which the team does not make the playoffs, but it doesn't take effect until there is one year remaining in Kaberle's deal. Or, after the 2009-10 season. As such, Kaberle is in the clear for the next three NHL trade deadlines -- including the 2008 version -- and he can remain with the Leafs at his behest.
source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13426

oh wait, I think you're right PG. Another blogger states that Fletcher was misinformed and Berger corrected his statement above:

Quote:
Earlier this week he corrected his mistake saying that Fletcher had been misinformed about the whole situation, and if the Leafs failed to make the playoffs this season, the Leafs would have the right to trade him.
source: http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?po...&user_id=36805

Last edited by CanucksOo: 12-22-2008 at 07:40 PM.
CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Any deal for Kaberle would have to start with Edler, I'd imagine.
and Hodgson. He'd have to be also part of the deal IMHO which means a "no go" from my POV.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
The reason it was on CDC and not here was because we thought about and then realized it would be a bad idea and decided not to even go there.

I agree with the above posters, I would not take Preissing off waivers.

If we the team is seriously looking at a good puck moving defenseman the only players that really interest me at this point in time (depending on their cost) that may be available are:

Kaberle
Bouwmeester
Kuba
Spacek
Schneider (if we have cap space and only due to his low cost)
and maybe Leopold
Although I'd love Boumeester I think we'll end up getting Schneider. Kuba is having a freak season, I don't think he'll put up these type of numbers again.

Shouldn't cost too much but we'll see.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Velociraptor

If we are getting Niedermayer and Bouwmeester, Preissing doesn't fit into our plans.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote