HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL's love affair with Dany Heatley

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 08:42 PM
south-sentral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
I think people would be a lot more open to admiring Heatley's "remarkable recovery from a torn MCL and ACL" if the injuries were sustained in a game/practice - not in a crash that killed his an innocent person. And it could have been a lot worse. Heatley was driving *crazy fast* on a busy residential street. He is lucky he didn't hit a pedestrian.
He was a couple of weeks ahead of schedule and given the emotional and physical reprucussions he was suffering, it was quite an recovery and his recognition is well-deserved. Yes, he made bad judgement by speeding and the results were fatal but people MAKE MISTAKES ..this is one he just couldn"t fix. Frankly, I feel sorry for the guy and I really do admire his ability to go out there and contribute.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:43 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
I like Heatley, and I feel for the kid - but I am annoyed by all the "love" the media is pouring on him. I don't feel that his come back is heroic. Koivu's come back was heroic. Heatley's was a result of something he did to himself.

Tonight on ESPN2 he was proclaimed "one of great character players in the game." What has he done to deserve this label? Joe Sakic, Ron Francis, Dave Andreychuk, Steve Yzerman -- these are the great character players in the NHL. By 2014 Heatley may possibly earn the right to be called that. Now, the statement is ridiculous.

I heard the "great character player" comment right after I finished reading an article about Heatley's come back to Calgary and his "courage and strength." Dan Snyder is dead, and Dany Heatley is being called a hero for something that is directly related to Snyder's death. I am sorry guys, but I am 100% uncomfortable with this thing.

Its all about star power. No offense to Snyder but if it had have been some nobody or lesser player that killed him instead of Heatley it wouldn't have generated 5% of the hype it did. Is the anyone foolish enough to really think the "love" would be pouring out the same way if Darby Hendrikson was killed and Nolan Baumgartner was driving instead? Nope, exactly.

Thats just life in this socially disfunctional society we live in where we feel closer to the stars than our neighbours. Go figure.

Last edited by me2: 02-25-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old
02-25-2004, 08:58 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Is the anyone foolish enough to really think the "love" would be pouring out the same way if Darby Hendrikson was killed and Nolan Baumgartner was driving instead? Nope, exactly.
I'd still feel the same: a kid. He screwed up. Forgive, but don't forget Snyder. He's not a "hero;" he's just a person.

I don't really get this legal aspect. Maybe it's different here but I've had several friends who died in speeding accidents and none of the drivers have gone to jail unless drunk. I could be wrong though. I never though I'd be happy to talk to a lawyer...

Old
02-25-2004, 09:01 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens4ever
He's not a hero, but, i respect him for being able to come back. It would have been much easier for him to just give up on hockey and hide from all the fans who blame Snyder's death on him.
There's a reason they blame him ... because he's to blame! What, you gonna blame the car? The wall? He drove ridiculously fast on a narrow, twisty, RESIDENTIAL road. This isn't one of those accidents where no one was at fault.

Quote:
I'm sure most posters here have sped before, but not in a car like Heatley's.
Most of us have sped before, but I'll bet only a few have gone more than double the speed limit in a residential area on a winding road. And anyone who has, I have no problem saying they should have their license revoked, have their car impounded, and never be allowed behind the wheel of a car ever again. And only after a good while behind bars. People like that are a public menace, and it makes no difference to a person who's killed by a reckless driver that it was due to mere stupidity rather than malice.

Quote:
He was just a kid given too much who felt invincible.
He's old enough to know that driving 80+ in a residential area is stupid. Or at least, he ought to have known. I sure didn't have to be in my 20's to figure that one out, but maybe Dany's a little slow.

Quote:
As a previous poster said, i'm sure he feels alot worse about Snyder's death than any of us do.
Yeah, and I'm sure a lot of folks who commit crimes feel badly about it afterwards. Would you be as forgiving if he'd killed a local kid out riding his bike?

Old
02-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The REAL heroes in all this is Dan Snyder's father and his mother. It has to be the most heroic thing I have seen a parent do...forgive so completely and welcome the person who in essence killed their boy. I couldn't even fathom the kind of persons they are to be so gracious and wonderful through what's gotta be the most horrific time that a parent could go through.

Mr and Mrs. Snyder, you TRULY are HEROES!

Here here

EXCELLENT POST

Old
02-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
I don't really get this legal aspect. Maybe it's different here but I've had several friends who died in speeding accidents and none of the drivers have gone to jail unless drunk.
Heatley was doing 80 mph in a residential area with a 35 mph speed limit. He may have not been drunk, but he broke the law by speeding. This is why he was charged with speeding and causing injury. When Snyder passed away, the charges were upgraded to vehicular homicide. In the eyes of the law, it doesn't matter what rule you broke on a way to committing a deadly accident - as long as you broke the law, you will be charged with a crime.

By the way: if you have ever driven on Lenox, you know how insane (and horribly irresponsible) it is to go 80 mph on that road. It was an accident waiting to happen.

Old
02-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Some great points made in this thread. If I was Dan Snyder's parents, I would be more than a little resentful of the free pass Heatley has received. Kudos to them for being the "bigger person." On the flip side, Heatley will never be free of the guilt over being responsible for another person's death. That's a form of justice no human court can administer.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
WTF? Sakic, Franchise and Andreychuk being quality guys does not preclude Heatley from being the same. The "love" being showered on him stems from sympathy (for a kid who screwed up) and respect (for a nice guy and great talent). I am not uncomfortable with this at all. Yes, I miss Snyder too but not as much as Heatley does, I guarantee it.
The thread starter was referring to the ESPN2 broadcast tonight, where they were laying it on REALLY thick. If you didn't see the broadcast, you really can't comment on it. I don't dislike Heatley at all, to me he's a kid who made a terrible mistake, but they were getting on my nerves with talking about how special he is and how he's a future captain, etc. It was ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Let's be honest folks. If Kovalchuk had done everything Heatley has done regarding the accident and comeback, he would be treated as a pariah. This love affair with Heatley has everything to do with his image of being a good ole Canadian boy. Kovalchuk gets ripped to shreds for retrieving a puck and Heatley is treated as a hero despite causing Snyder's death
You hit the nail on the head there!

Old
02-25-2004, 10:33 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
The thread starter was referring to the ESPN2 broadcast tonight, where they were laying it on REALLY thick. If you didn't see the broadcast, you really can't comment on it.
Um, thanks, but I can. Not trying to pick a fight or to be a jerk, but if you were to set up parameters like this on every thread there would be about 7 posts on the whole board.

I think Bobby Orr's Knees' original post was
Quote:
Tonight on ESPN2 he was proclaimed "one of great character players in the game."
I can comment on that as I've seen Dany play for most of his career since he was a teen. I think Heatley is one of the great players of the game and a great guy off the ice. I have no doubt that ESPN2 (like we need two of them) has laid it on thick. That's why I don't watch it. But I think I have fairly expressed my opinion defending Dan's situation (as best as can be in a poor situation) while simultaneously accetping the views of others. Is that not the ideal thread? Two groups of people civilly expressing opinions about a common topic of interest? Again, not trying to be a twit or a squid.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Um, thanks, but I can. Not trying to pick a fight or to be a jerk, but if you were to set up parameters like this on every thread there would be about 7 posts on the whole board.
Eh? Sounds to me like you're doing both. My point was, he was referring specifically to comments made that you obviously didn't hear. I'm not telling you what to post, and I'm not setting up "parameters", I don't know where you get that from.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:01 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Some great points made in this thread. If I was Dan Snyder's parents, I would be more than a little resentful of the free pass Heatley has received. Kudos to them for being the "bigger person." On the flip side, Heatley will never be free of the guilt over being responsible for another person's death. That's a form of justice no human court can administer.
the "free pass" heatley recieved was from snyder's parents themselves who talked to the police and told them specifically to drop the charges against dany because they personally forgave what he did.. and yes those folks are the only heroes in this whole mess

i personally do know what its like to blame one self for the death of another human being and it took me a long time, (nearly 4 years) to come to grips with what happened (although it wasnt my fault as is the case here but i did still blame myself for not reacting faster to my grandfathers cardiac arrest even though i know CPR and AR and knew he wasnt breathing or his heart beating) .. its not easy. i have a lot of respect for dany for what he did and how he did it, but at the same time, hes not a hero.. saku koivu, mario lemeuix, guys like that are heroes.. dany is not a hero yet, but i do have this feeling he will do something to become one some day because i do personally know that one of the hardest things to deal with in terms of losing the life of someone you care about is the blame you put on yourself and i also know it can eat at a person mentally and how hard it is.. dany's a much tougher person mentally because of this and i guarantee he will only get stronger and smarter

Old
02-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I don't think one can blame Heatly for the attention here. From what I have seen he has been pretty low key, just wanting to get on with his business. It would be better (if the media) to let him do this.

And I agree that the Snyders are very classy people. But I would feel uncomfortable if the media were to treat them as heroes from now on. It was not to be heroes they did what they did, it was a mostly private thing.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:37 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Eh? Sounds to me like you're doing both.
Whatever Sotnos. Bait me if that's fun for you. Not interested. I wasn't trying to be a jerk; sorry if I responded and seemed like one.

Quote:
My point was, he was referring specifically to comments made that you obviously didn't hear.
How are my posts any more obviously ignorant than those of others? Conversely, how are mine and those of others less valid if we don't watch espn? It's not as if we can't grasp the concept of the initial post without having watched the original telecast.

Quote:
I'm not telling you what to post, and I'm not setting up "parameters", I don't know where you get that from.
Again, sorry if I came off like that, but that was honestly the impression I got from your post. Maybe not "telling me what to post" but suggesting not to bother, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
And I agree that the Snyders are very classy people. But I would
feel uncomfortable if the media were to treat them as heroes from now on. It was not to be heroes they did what they did, it was a mostly private thing.
Agree. Very classy and very kind of them. Some people in the media should learn that not everyone needs to have "closure" on television. I have no idea, but I don't doubt that Heatley feels the same about having his ordeal treated with all the uneccessary fanfare.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:38 AM
cws
...in the drink

I'd say more than a few people here aren't that fond of many aspects of ESPN's coverage. I'm there with with you on a lot of that. But if this angered you, direct it at the ones who keep pouring it out, which would be the many and various media outlets.

This entire time Heatley and the Thrashers organization has been very low-key about everything. Himself and the team were asked countless times to comment, they didn't. The only time of note was one press conference, then they went back to silence. It gave everyone the chance to grieve, and time to try and deal with the emotional scars that came of this. Blame the media, blame fans like us for keeping this issue fresh. But don't blame the team, they just want to find ways to deal with this and move on.

I really think it's time to let this go though. Some of us still very much like and respect him, some of us hate him for what he did. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But in the end, our thoughts on this don't matter one way or the other. It's time for us to put this issue to bed, and move on ourselves.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:09 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
The thread starter was referring to the ESPN2 broadcast tonight, where they were laying it on REALLY thick.
Hey Sotnos, and everyone else, of course: the "really thick" is what bothers me too, for the record. Heatley would not want this to be turned into "what a hero he is" for recovering. Similarly, I have a sincere problem with people generating fanfare around someone's death. Especially when the same media folks ignored Snyder while he was alive. Is that not depressing?

At least here he got a hero's funeral (with the sticks - you know what I mean if you saw it), but a prolonged "celebration" by non-hockey fellows (espn) kind of rankles with me.

Last edited by chicpea: 02-26-2004 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I was being illogical (and maybe even rude)!
Old
02-26-2004, 07:38 AM
Sticky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Very true, it's not as though Heatley rescued four children from a burning Lambergini (sp?) or anything.

There is no way that four people could fit in a lamborghini.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:06 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
I've never actually heard Heatley been referred to as a "Hero" per se and I agree that it would be misplaced admiration in that respect.
That's what Butchergross said on ESPN2 the night Heatley returned to the NHL. ESPN not only sux0rs when it comes to NHL coverage, they can't even put the proper portrayal on someone. Hero????? Wow, that phrase has been completely devalued.

If I drove 80 MPH in an urban area and a passenger in my car was killed.....the last thing on my mind is being called a hero. If I worked for a bank, would I be called a hero after I returned to work, doing the same thing Heatley did? Would my co-workers praise my actions? Would there be a videocamera there to see my return to work, saying I'm a hero and I have "character" getting through this?

No more ESPN hockey for me.....

Old
02-26-2004, 08:39 AM
Sundried TOmato

They were just POURING it on during the last night's broadcast. To me, the story should be how the Thrashers organization came together. How Hartley kept the team focused. How Kovalchuk and Savard carried Thrash on their shoulders. How Slava Kozlov helped Heatley recover mentally... To ESPN, the story was about Heatley's "heroic" return.

The NHL inherently is a Good Old Canadian Boys network. This is a league that just 15 years ago treated Slava Fetisov as a pariah. It's come a long way since then - a Russian kid was a leading All Star vote getter. But fundamentally, things are slow to change.

Heatley was anointed the next one by the NHL. He had it all: great skills, easy to love personality, goofy and endearing looks, and Canadian heritage. A perfect choice for the NHL marketing machine. Now the NHL looks at Heatley and thinks "great story" - good guy triumphs over tragedy. But they are forgetting that the good guy CAUSED the tragedy by being stupid and reckless.

If anybody thinks that a Euro would get a free pass from the NHL is being naive. If an Ivan Petrov caused Dan Snyder's accident by driving at 80 miles per hour in a RESIDENTIAL area, here is what Pang and Melrose would be saying:

"Petrov's return is causing a lot of tension in the locker room. If it were me, I would be uncomfortable playing with someone who caused my teammates' death by using his car as a weapon. For the team's sake, I hope Petrov is traded. As far as Petrov himself goes, he sure is a great player - but I really have to question his character".

Old
02-26-2004, 08:40 AM
balddog66

sadly you didn't know Snyder, he truely was a unique caring individual.
I would feel much more comfortable with Heatley and gain some respect back for him should he had dedicated his career or a future trophy to Snyder...if Heatley ever wins a cup, I would feel at peace if he looked up and said this is for you Snydes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
Its all about star power. No offense to Snyder but if it had have been some nobody or lesser player that killed him instead of Heatley it wouldn't have generated 5% of the hype it did. Is the anyone foolish enough to really think the "love" would be pouring out the same way if Darby Hendrikson was killed and Nolan Baumgartner was driving instead? Nope, exactly.

Thats just life in this socially disfunctional society we live in where we feel closer to the stars than our neighbours. Go figure.

Old
02-26-2004, 08:52 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I also had a problem with the way ESPN opened the coverage.

Dany has a ways to go before he can be called "a character guy" again.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Count the Cash
Goalie Depth

Speaking of ESPN's coverage: Is it really necessary to show close up shots of Heatley hawking loogies at every break in the game?

I know it's a nervous thing but maybe a teammate should pass a stick of Wrigley's in Dany's direction.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I have to agree the Heatley coverage is overly dramatic and distorts the events quite a bit.

Still, it's not like this is a new thing. Dany Heatley has had the favor of the press way before the accident. THN appointed him "the next one" this summer even though the guy isn't even the most talented player on his team. That's just dumb.

It has a lot to do with him being Canadian, but probably not because of negative discrimination. It's just that it is in the media's interests that superstars be North American. They make for better interviews.

The media have greatly suffered from the domination of guys like Forsberg and especially, Jagr. Jaromir has been very stiff, isn't comfortable with the language to begin with and always enjoyed being left alone off the ice too.

Was it fair that the media pimped North American players and brainwashed numerous poor souls like Dr. Sens into thinking Heatley is better than Kovalchuk? Nope. But that's the way it's going to be because one is going to be the bread and butter of journalists while the other will be harder to get a story from.

I've thought a lot about the issue lately because of that thread we had on journalists' biases. I don't think it has to do with them "not liking Euros". It's just that they're looking to protect their pathetic skins at all costs and make their lives eassier, even if it means distorting the truth.

Heatley, and soon Nash and maybe Spezza are the guys North American medias are going to cherish and protect if at all possible. All are North Americans and all forwards who put up points. That's the way the media likes it. They'lll get away with anything, just like most sports superstar do.

When the going gets tough for a media darling like Heatley, they look at the situation coldly and decide what spin they'll put on it in their own interest. In this case, the situation was easy. Heatley is a guy who still has more than 10 years of "in prime" hockey left in him. To put a negative spin on this would just mean hurting their sales everytime they put a feature on Heatley in the future. If the player was say, Shane Hnidy, nobody would care. Hnidy is not going to sell papers anyway. He's going to have a crappy career anyway. You can blast him all you want without fear that you are hurting your paper or killing off a future source of income.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:14 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Heatley was doing 80 mph in a residential area with a 35 mph speed limit. He may have not been drunk, but he broke the law by speeding. This is why he was charged with speeding and causing injury. When Snyder passed away, the charges were upgraded to vehicular homicide. In the eyes of the law, it doesn't matter what rule you broke on a way to committing a deadly accident - as long as you broke the law, you will be charged with a crime.

By the way: if you have ever driven on Lenox, you know how insane (and horribly irresponsible) it is to go 80 mph on that road. It was an accident waiting to happen.
Actually it depends where you are. I actually like the laws regarding vehicular accidents in Georgia. Here in BC, you can be freaking street racing(which is more dangerous than 80mph in a 35 zone, these guys are doing at the very least 150 kph, which is around 93 mph) and hit someone, but only be charged with dangerous driving causing death. This is not a felony, which means you can be sentenced to house arrest(ie no jail time). It boggles the mind how much you can get away with in a car here in BC. People want those dumbass drivers to be charged with 2nd degree murder or at the very least manslaughter, but to no avail so far. Even if it's your own passengers the most you get is dangerous driving causing death. There were so many high-speed accidents as a result of the driver losing control last summer that there was a same message over and over of "slow down, it's not worth it" but young drivers continue to speed all the time.
Granted most celebrities tend to receive less harsh sentences than the average Joe on the street, but then again, most victims' families aren't asking the DA to drop the charges either. I'm not sure how it is in Georgia(ie does this happen often? I'm guessing not because of the harsh laws), but in BC, it was pretty disheartening to watch family after family lose a loved one because some stupid idiot decided he was invincible in his fast car.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Absolut

Vlad and Sundried TOmato - great, classic posts. Both of you hit the nail on the head.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but it's just my opinion, so take it as that. I liked Heatley before the accident, now, not only do I not like him, I'd disgusted at the fact that he's not in jail. If I sped and killed my passenger, I'd be facing time. But I'm not a big time celebrity, so the law actually applies to me.
synder's family had a huge role in keeping him out of jail. if they had called for his head things might have turned out different.

Closed Thread