HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings @ Anaheim Ducks, Wednesday 10/01/08 @ 7:05 PM PST

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
riznat

vCash: 500
oh nooooooooo, the only thing worse than a duck win in OT vs the kings, is this amp energy commerical its RIDICULOUS

Old
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

There goes gap tooth freak.

Old
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Still undefeated in regulation.. (in the pre-season)

Old
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Lose in OT against Anaheim's top guys with our noobs? I'll take it.

Old
10-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Randart

Young Eric good game cept for Prongs goals!

If Eric Ersberg could stop Pronger we win!

Oh well, He will learn I hope! And yes Pronger must pay... I hope SOD will put him down hard when he is in the offensive zone in the regular season! Good try Kings!

Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Still I'm impressed with the young guys doing so well against a more NHL lineup. Haven't lost outright yet, they know how to battle.

Old
BurningBright

Old
10-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
It'd be a point during the regular season. A point is better then none.

Old
10-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
Johnson A
Handzus A
Ivanans A - funny...

Taken from: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/RO010075.HTM

edit: i am an idiot... you asked about anaheim... See the link...
haah it's cool, thanks anyway! Weird though, they supposedly have pictures of the game where Selanne isn't wearing the A and Morisson is...WTF!

Old
10-02-2008, 01:04 AM
chicobanana

drew doughty second star, way to go

Old
10-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Mindcircus

Was out of the loop tonight. What were the ups and downs tonight? I look forward to some breakdowns of tonights game.

I hate Pronger and anyone who has a last name of Kunitz...

Old
10-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Malice430

they did pretty well without kopi, brown, and stoll...not to mention sully

Old
10-02-2008, 02:02 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Alec Martinez looked great tonight. Very smart with the puck and not afraid of guys like Selanne and Perry. Made a great read to steal the puck and set up a 2-on-1 with Simmonds. Martinez made a great cross-ice pass but Simmonds missed the wide open net by hitting the post.

Piskula took that bad penalty at the end of the game but he did it to keep a 2-on-2 from happening. He stood up on guys all night and generally made the right play. He will play in this league as a #6-7 defenseman, just might not be here with LA due to the depth chart.

Simmonds did shank that great pass from Martinez, but he played very well again tonight. Makes great plays in the offensive zone and just oozes raw talent: very entertaining to watch. He's definitely bringing more to the table than Zeiler and Calder.

Moller was still very good tonight but didn't really jump out like the past few games. He's obviously a smart player who should at least be playing in the AHL this season so the decision is going to have to be made between the WHL or the NHL. He isn't making it an easy decision.

Moulson is another smart player who just knows where to be on the ice. He's a lock to make this squad; he's extremely versatile and can play 3rd line or jump into the Top-6 if needed.

I would love to see a lineup featuring both Westgarth and Ivanans. Great to see Ivanans with the "A" and Westgarth getting the best of Parros. Doughty got boarded by some rookie and Handzus was in htere immediately and Ivanans was in his face telling him how bad things were about to become. Doughty skated over to both of them and tapped them on the pads to thank them for coming to his aid. It's great to see a team that isn't intimidated by anybody. When you're young, you don't know enough to be intimidated: you just play hockey.

Doughty looked great once again and delivered a beauty hipcheck on Perry. Highlight of the game for me as Perry was having trouble skating for the rest of the shift and was in obvious pain. Not as bad as the Blake hit from last year, but Perry was still hurting. Doughty is a flat out stud and could possibly be the highest scoring defenseman on the team.

Richardson was pretty decent. Made a nice move on Ryan to draw a penalty and showed a nice wrist shot.

Great deflection by Boyle in an otherwise uneven game.

Purcell is extremely slick and made a couple of nice moves but he needs to get dirtier. I don't remember seeing him in the 3rd. He may have paid his dues in the minors, but I think Simmonds and Moller are outplaying him in camp: Moulson definitely is.

Ersberg made a lot of big saves and played very well outside of that terrible first goal. Nice to see a Kings team not get deflated by that and fight back to take a lead.

Westgarth is undefeated. If this team is going to have a bunch of rookies, we should roll with a lot of muscle.

Old
10-02-2008, 02:20 AM
butthead666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
How does O'Sullivan look? What line is he on?
The unemployment line

Old
10-02-2008, 03:02 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
here goes.

all in all i'd say that the Kings fared pretty well against a cup contender who iced pretty much their entire first and second lines, 5 of their 6 everyday defensemen and their starting goaltender.

Erik Ersberg? yeah, no. be it Jason LaBarbera, Dan Cloutier, Mathieu Garon or (briefly) Jonathan Bernier, the Kings seem to continue to find the best of the best in terms of netminders whose nose for handling the puck behind the net is perpetually congested.

the thing he was lauded for last season was virtually non-existent last night. he gave up FAR too many rebounds, several of which bounced right into the middle of the slot. he wasn't challenged very much and had his ass saved on a few transient pucks. but he DID make one really great save - going side to side on a two-on-one.

the first goal came as a result, yet again, of such a poor play and lame ass, non communication clearing attempt by the goaltender. Kunitz's goal was fine, you saw it coming, it was a powerplay and there wasn't really anything anyone was going to do short of maybe taking another penalty. i hafta disagree with the op about Pronger's second goal [in reference to someone on LGK calling it "weak"]. it was far from weak... well depending on which way you want to look at it. it was an absolutely gorgeous goal, one that Pronger doesn't bang 9 times out of 10. he burned Johnson to the outside and jacked it up over Ersberg's far shoulder. whatever it was Ersberg was seeing, i couldn't. i have NO idea what angle he was playing and he was Cloutier/Potivn deep in the net.... it was a bad goal, not a weak goal.

JESUS CHRIST, Drew Doughty is good.

there is definitely a change to Jack Johnson's game. he looked a helluva lot more at ease than anytime i have seen him yet and he may be the player this season who has the breakout year. aside from the gaff on Pronger's overtime goal, he got burned by Selanne once and made a poor choice with a weak shot that got blocked and led to a breakaway... thank God the player breaking away was George Parros.

get used to it... he's going to be a risk taker. it's always been his game and what made him such a feared player in college.

JUWANNA MANN, Drew Doughty is good.

i think the player i was most impressed with was Alec Martinez. he doesn't seem particularly fast, but he has great acceleration and plays much bigger than he is. probably the best man on man defender all night. one especially telling moment was late in the game and Selanne (who just looked as great as ever) came flying down the right side with the puck and Martinez, head up stayed with him and never once bought any of the 32 patented stutter steps that has allowed Teemu to score about 400 of his goals in his career. both he and Piskula were laying the body all night and that is a wonderful thing to see.

Piskula brought a lot of attention with his hitting. he was going after everybody and it got under Anaheim's skin.

YUMPIN' YIMMINY, Drew Doughty is good.

Greene and Preissing were Greene and Pressing. good and bad plays all evening. the good was where you'd expect them to be - clearing and blocking shots and open reads and point presence, respectively. the bad were mostly a result of rushing plays on change of possessions down low where the outlet decisions were less than desirable.

Derek Armstrong had one helluva night in the circle... i think he won, maybe 4 faceoffs all night.

Kyle Calder was vanilla. his strongest play came in chips and passes out of trouble in both the neutral zone and high in the defensive zone. you could see the NHL in Kyle by his simple decision making, if you catch my drift... still wasn't too impressive though.

you want to know why many of these young defensemen look as good as they do under pressure situations and you're looking for some of that evidence to be from something outside of their individual talent? look no further than Michal Handzus.

for those of you who still don't get that Alexander Frolov is the best forward on this team... ah, forget it. i've tried. to bad you didn't see Frolov make Scott Niedermayer look like Scott Lachance all night.

we were joking earlier on about how it must take Brian Boyle the better part of the first period for his entire body to warm up. it's like some weird vortex opens up on the ice and in pops Brian. there was one stretch (one shift actually) where he was dynamite. winning three consecutive face-offs, one in each zone, including the one which led to his goal... the exact type of play you need to get from someone his size. consistency issues and a lack for being assertive are going to continue to haunt this guy unless he figures it out - that going from unseen to seen is one thing, but doing so at 8-feet tall is quite an accomplishment... and a bad one.

the Princeton Pugilist V. the Princeton Piñata... the Piñata held his own. neither connected really well, Westgarth popped a few uppercuts and Parros eventually took a knee. i kinda like Wesgarth and he kind of reminds me of the Stache when he started here. which in turn is a bit hope worthy considering how far Parros HAS come as a hockey player.

interesting note about both fights... each time the Anaheim player was assessed an extra two - Festerling for slashing and Parros for roughing, and BOTH could have gotten the extra two for instigating because neither were involved in the original play and left their position. i wonder if they may ease up a little on that rule.

Moller... good kid and fantastic player. tho if he makes this team, i'd be shocked. he needs to get a little stronger and play another year at a lower level.

Simmonds... his compete level is top notch and his path to the NHL is pretty much clear and in front of him. but he needs to play minor league hockey, take a lot of penalties and learn a few lessons, and for Pete's sake, get bigger.

Matt Moulson had a rough night... was rather invisible aside from a really bad turnover.

Purcell and Ivanans played hard and were involved all night. Raitis had a nice turnaround jumper from the middle of the left face-off circle that he nearly drilled right through Giguere.

Brad Richardson is fast and shifty. he nearly had himself a breakaway but the poke was done poked a little too far ahead of him and he then created another scoring opportunity on the following shift.

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY, Drew Doughty is good.

the Kings did have their chances to win this. both Simmonds and Handzus blew two on one chances... Simmonds' in particular, i thought was a done deal. Martinez gift wrapped him a beauty and he shanked it.

what did i forget?

Old
10-02-2008, 03:11 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post

what did i forget?
How was doughty?

Seroiusly, fantastic post! Best ive read of any preseason game this year

Old
10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Quattro

Quote:
you want to know why many of these young defensemen look as good as they do under pressure situations and you're looking for some of that evidence to be from something outside of their individual talent? look no further than Michal Handzus.
ummm...what?

Old
10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Omni Owl

Nice writeup wab.

Old
10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Ivanans was in his face telling him how bad things were about to become.

Good write up, but that line is a crack up.

Old
10-02-2008, 03:44 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
ummm...what?
there is more to this game than the scoreboard. one of systems, angles, coverage and support from your center ice man... hopefully gone are the days where the Kings' defensemen gain possession, turn, look and find that Cammalleri and Armstrong and/or whoever else are already halfway to Figueroa and are forced into Doug Flutie-ing something that'll connect less than half of half the time.

you NEED the support up the middle and Handzus will almost ALWAYS err on the side of caution... smart player... AND he showed up on the score sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
How was doughty?

Seroiusly, fantastic post! Best ive read of any preseason game this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Nice writeup wab.
thanks... it was the first time i've gotten to see the guys in action all summer outside of that rookie game webcast. i WAS in Vegas, but couldn't be bothered with going to the game.

i was a little disappointed i never got the chance to catch Lock-tee-ahn-ov, but oh well.

Doughty was fantastic! if you followed hockey well but for some reason didn't know, you'd think he was a young defenseman, but NO WAY would you believe he was 18.

Old
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Reaper45

How was his hipcheck on Perry?

Old
10-02-2008, 03:53 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
How was his hipcheck on Perry?
CHUNKY and early Rob Blake-esque... Perry was clearly feeling it on the next shift.

Old
10-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
CHUNKY and early Rob Blake-esque... Perry was clearly feeling it on the next shift.
Throw them Dough's.

Old
10-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Johnny Utah

So far consistent things in the pre-season.

The Good:

Doughty
Boyle
Martinez
Westgarth
Simmonds
Moulson
Armstrong

The Bad:
Ersberg
Calder

The "we expected more."
Purcell
Hickey

Old
10-02-2008, 04:43 PM
not tellin*

I'd put Boyle under "we expected more" but somehow he's managed to find his way onto the scorecard quite a bit.

Closed Thread