HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Koivu injury a blessing in disguise?

Old
12-30-2008, 12:59 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
Koivu injury a blessing in disguise?

I was just thinking about the recent re-emergence of the pleks line. Now i know it's only been about 3 games now where they've seemed to click, but had koivu's dominance continued with EVERY winger he was put with, i don't think the pressure for kovalev and co. to succeed would have been there like it is now. I was pondering this at work last night and this was without me knowing that pleks, kovy and kosty had another good game.

What do you guys think?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Lone Rogue

I think its more coincidence. ATAK was bound to get back into shape at some point, you can't stay snake bitten forever. They've proved to Carbo exactly why they should be together, and its finally clicking like it used to. It's only been a few games but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

The blessing in disguise is losing one of our best two way players in Higgins and our very best player in Koivu and still winning games. People are waiting for the Habs to be "dominant" and once those two are back in the line-up, once they find some more permanant lines to click on, we will be dominant.

As I've said a million times, I'd rather deal with and conquer adversity in December than deal with it and not have enough time to conquer it in April.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:07 PM
habfaninvictoria

Koivu's injury has allowed a couple younger players to step up, but I don't think his injury should be thought of as a catalyst to propel Kovalev to pick up his play. Certainly Plekanec may have seen an opportunity. With his injury it magnifies the lack of depth we have at the centre position. We have a lot of depth on the wing and that helps disguise the problem. When Koivu returns we should be truly scary offensively.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Turbo

Oddly enough, the re-emergence of the AKost-Plek-Kovalev line seems to have more to do with Plekanec regaining confidence as opposed to Kovalev doing anything particularly different. Seems to me that as Plekanec goes, that line goes...

This is not to say Kovalev is playing especially badly either... to me it's more like it highlights the importance of having effective players at the center position.

Whether Plekanec's re-emergence has to do with Saku's absence is anyone's guess... some players do take the absence of a key player as an opportunity to step-up. On the other hand, a little has been said on RDS about Plekanec taking the xmas break away from hockey in an attempt to clear his mind and shake away the lack of confidence he was displaying. Nice to see him getting rewarded for his play, finally.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Oddly enough, the re-emergence of the AKost-Plek-Kovalev line seems to have more to do with Plekanec regaining confidence as opposed to Kovalev doing anything particularly different. Seems to me that as Plekanec goes, that line goes...

This is not to say Kovalev is playing especially badly either... to me it's more like it highlights the importance of having effective players at the center position.

Whether Plekanec's re-emergence has to do with Saku's absence is anyone's guess... some players do take the absence of a key player as an opportunity to step-up. On the other hand, a little has been said on RDS about Plekanec taking the xmas break away from hockey in an attempt to clear his mind and shake away the lack of confidence he was displaying. Nice to see him getting rewarded for his play, finally.

Totally agree.

Nice to see you around.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Totally agree.

Nice to see you around.
+1

The real duo in this line is Andrei-Plekanec

now we can put any wonger there to obtain an excellent

I want the CAT line back

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
+1

I want the CAT line back
Has Carbonneau tried using Higgins with Andrei/Plex yet? They were quite dominant in their short stint a couple years ago. Next year if Kovalev is not with the team I can see that becoming a good scoring line.

ATAK line resurgence also has a lot to do with Andrei Kostitsyn starting to shoot the puck more often.

2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Skyblaze

Tanguay hasn't really clicked with anyone but Koivu though. I wouldn't mind him producing as much as he did in the first 10 games.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I was just thinking about the recent re-emergence of the pleks line. Now i know it's only been about 3 games now where they've seemed to click, but had koivu's dominance continued with EVERY winger he was put with, i don't think the pressure for kovalev and co. to succeed would have been there like it is now. I was pondering this at work last night and this was without me knowing that pleks, kovy and kosty had another good game.

What do you guys think?
It's far from a blessing. Maxwell has been far from an adequate replacement for a player as important as Koivu. I don't think his absence has anything to do with the play of the healthy players. For the first few games he was missing, the Habs kept losing, as in the games against TB, NJ, and Carolina. Tanguay and d'Agostini have cooled off and SKost has been poor.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Kachino

Send a message via MSN to Kachino
Playing through adversity...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
dutchy29

good theory, but I was really hoping Koivu would have a career year, 80points, he deserves it.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

we barely play over .500 since he's been injured, how can it be some kind of blessing ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 03:11 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
+1

I want the CAT line back
The line works when Pleks passes the puck to Andrei. He should realize that he's not doing anyone a favour by just playing with Kovalev like he did at the beginning of the season. You're right, the real duo that gets the line going is Pleks and Andrei.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 03:25 PM
kernkraft

A.Kost-Plekanec-Kovalev
D'Agostini-Koivu-Tanguay
S.Kostitsyn-Lang-Higgins
Begin-Lapierre-Latendresse

Seems to be the lines when Koivu and Higgins return.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Mustafa*

Koivu's injury is no blessing for tanguay! (even thought they weren't playing together lately).

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Koivu's injury is no blessing for tanguay! (even thought they weren't playing together lately).
This

Old
12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

What do you guys think?
I'd like to see if their progress on the ATAK line will continue. There was that 1 game where both Kovy and Pleks had 4 points so I duno..

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Has Carbonneau tried using Higgins with Andrei/Plex yet? They were quite dominant in their short stint a couple years ago. Next year if Kovalev is not with the team I can see that becoming a good scoring line.

ATAK line resurgence also has a lot to do with Andrei Kostitsyn starting to shoot the puck more often.
Andrei on the right wing?
That never seams to happen.
Not that I'd oppose trying it, but I hope we soon stop trying things.
It would be nice if the lines settled down and well... worked.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 04:10 PM
HurtsDonut*

Can someone give me some info on how long Koivu will be out? Havent heard any info on him.

HurtsDonut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtsDonut View Post
Can someone give me some info on how long Koivu will be out? Havent heard any info on him.
Not sure how accurate this is, but they say at least mid-January...

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/injuries

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote