HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Antivirus software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
  #51
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,034
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
avast!

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:32 PM
  #52
TasteLikeBurning
The Tank Cometh
 
TasteLikeBurning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
He's a good web based option



http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

TasteLikeBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
  #53
UFancyHuh
Registered User
 
UFancyHuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 500
AVG is the one i use, works like a charm

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 09:07 PM
  #54
*Injektilo
Registered User
 
*Injektilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: France
Posts: 11,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
avast!
Yup.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
  #55
sabresfan129103
Registered User
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,806
vCash: 500
also try malware bytes, along with your anti-virus. this program had found a lot of stuff that avg doesn't.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 12:03 AM
  #56
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,820
vCash: 500
I use AVG on all of my machines. The best thing about it is the way it works so smoothly in the background. I never have to think about it.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 12:29 AM
  #57
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,678
vCash: 500
Bitdefender.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:35 AM
  #58
Patrick96
 
Patrick96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Go for AVG.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:53 AM
  #59
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 500
2 years ago I had a virus in my laptop. I installed McAfee, Norton and AVG. The only antivirus program that detected anything was AVG. So from that day forward, I stopped buying antiviruses and just use AVG.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
  #60
snakeye
Registered User
 
snakeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
2 years ago I had a virus in my laptop. I installed McAfee, Norton and AVG. The only antivirus program that detected anything was AVG. So from that day forward, I stopped buying antiviruses and just use AVG.
Two years ago you had one virus on your laptop and that's why you're STILL using AVG, when there are better alternatives out there?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:13 AM
  #61
collapsethelung
Registered User
 
collapsethelung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cold Capital
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Ive got a million year trial of NOD32, it's great.

collapsethelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 12:31 PM
  #62
allrevvedup25
Registered User
 
allrevvedup25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
How do you get more days than the standard 30 days???

allrevvedup25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 03:01 PM
  #63
Canadian Game
Registered User
 
Canadian Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
Quick question: I'm interested in AVG since my Norton 2006 is long expired lol. Would it be best to pay the fees and get the latest Norton, or uninstall it and go with AVG at no cost?

Canadian Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 05:14 PM
  #64
19nazzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 17,184
vCash: 500
Don't get Norton. Such a resource hog.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:11 AM
  #65
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 37,640
vCash: 50
AVG Free Version 9 released

http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download?prd=afg#tba2

__________________
http://thenhlhotlist.azvibe.com/
Follow along on Twitter: http://twitter.com/azvibesports
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:37 AM
  #66
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
I've always used AVG and haven't ever had any computer virus problems in years. Then again, I'm also not an idiot. It's probably a combo of the two

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:57 AM
  #67
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
I've always used AVG and haven't ever had any computer virus problems in years. Then again, I'm also not an idiot. It's probably a combo of the two
For some reason, this reminds me of the guy a few months ago bragging about how he NEVER used an antivirus, and his computer was fine since he never noticed anything wrong with it.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:00 AM
  #68
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
For some reason, this reminds me of the guy a few months ago bragging about how he NEVER used an antivirus, and his computer was fine since he never noticed anything wrong with it.
Run a virus scan on his computer just for kicks and that claim will be disputed.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:03 PM
  #69
disfigured
Registered User
 
disfigured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lowell MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,304
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
The new version is considering Zone Alarm as a conflicting program and wants me to uninstall it as part of the installation. Probably so that I use AVG's firewall.

AVG has become more bloated, less controllable, and more irritating as it has become more popular.

I could skip the request to uninstall Zone Alarm, but it's the nature of it that bugs me. A cheap way to try and eliminate freeware competition.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:59 PM
  #70
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Run a virus scan on his computer just for kicks and that claim will be disputed.
That is why everyone else in the thread was

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:15 PM
  #71
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
The new version is considering Zone Alarm as a conflicting program and wants me to uninstall it as part of the installation. Probably so that I use AVG's firewall.

AVG has become more bloated, less controllable, and more irritating as it has become more popular.

I could skip the request to uninstall Zone Alarm, but it's the nature of it that bugs me. A cheap way to try and eliminate freeware competition.
Yeah, my laptop was chugging along until I uninstalled AVG. Now it's still kinda slow after a few hours of browsing, I just don't know what the problem is. Just know that Antivir works fine.

Anyone have a solid malware/spyware detection/removal program to recommend?

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:25 PM
  #72
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
For some reason, this reminds me of the guy a few months ago bragging about how he NEVER used an antivirus, and his computer was fine since he never noticed anything wrong with it.
That was probably me. I used Bitdefender for a year (Still the best by far) and I never renewed any sort of anti-virus software. I did a scan a few weeks ago and had nothing but a few pieces of spyware.

The only virus I've ever had was some sort of Trojan I accidentally clicked on (One of those chain link things in MSN; where once your friends get it they spread it) but it was my own stupidity.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:48 PM
  #73
MikeyMike01*
Hurray
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
The new version is considering Zone Alarm as a conflicting program and wants me to uninstall it as part of the installation. Probably so that I use AVG's firewall.

AVG has become more bloated, less controllable, and more irritating as it has become more popular.

I could skip the request to uninstall Zone Alarm, but it's the nature of it that bugs me. A cheap way to try and eliminate freeware competition.
Ever since I went from AVG7.5 free to AVG8 free I became increasingly more and more pissed off with it.

Now I went ahead and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials, and it's been faster, less annoying, and I haven't had a problem with it. Plus, it get's it's updates through Windows Updates, so I don't ever have to deal with that either.

P.S. If anyone wants it: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
  #74
disfigured
Registered User
 
disfigured's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lowell MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,304
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Ever since I went from AVG7.5 free to AVG8 free I became increasingly more and more pissed off with it.

Now I went ahead and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials, and it's been faster, less annoying, and I haven't had a problem with it. Plus, it get's it's updates through Windows Updates, so I don't ever have to deal with that either.

P.S. If anyone wants it: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Yup, after 7.5 there was much less control of AVG. It was pain to take it out of services, or even stop if from running. I did the manual updates of 7.5 till they discontinued that. I haven't used AVG since. Now I try it and it wants me to remove my favorite firewall. Buh bye to AVG, it's been nice......

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 10:28 PM
  #75
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disfigured View Post
Yup, after 7.5 there was much less control of AVG. It was pain to take it out of services, or even stop if from running. I did the manual updates of 7.5 till they discontinued that. I haven't used AVG since. Now I try it and it wants me to remove my favorite firewall. Buh bye to AVG, it's been nice......
So what do you use now?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.