HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL fans' demographics (lead in income, techno savvy, high online activity)

Old
10-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
NHL fans' demographics (lead in income, techno savvy, high online activity)

Experien Market Research has released a study comparing demographics amongst NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL and MLB fans.

Yahoo Business
offers this link, and you can download a summary of the study by following a link in the article.
Quote:
NHL Fans are…
*Tech savvy
*More likely to spend money on electronic gadgets and keep up with new technology
*They enjoy spending time online
*Have higher household incomes compared to other sports league fans
Sound like anyone we know here?

The income metric was especially interesting. The average for NHL fans in this study was ~$89,000. MLS was next at ~86,000; NBA, MLB and NFL came in respectively at $83.8K, 82K, and 81.8K.

I always seem to have too many gadgets around the house too. Hmmm.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
mooseOAK*

That's why it doesn't matter if high school bowling gets better TV ratings, the hockey fan demographic is highly valued by advertisers for the above reasons. Hockey ain't a poor man's sport.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 03:52 PM
It Kills Me

Old info, new source..

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Most of the fans in the upper levels at Devils games do not make $86k+, most not even close. A lot of Devils fans are being priced out of the arena, I am sure this is not unique with other markets. Yes there are day of game $10 tix available, but look at the mezzanine, balcony and lower level pricing, outrageously high to bring a family or even go by yourself.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Namso

average for NHL is 89k?!?!?! lol, I find that very hard to believe.

I seriously doubt that the average income of an NBA fan is 84k.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
average for NHL is 89k?!?!?! lol, I find that very hard to believe.

I seriously doubt that the average income of an NBA fan is 84k.
First of all, it's household income, not average (individual) income. You, and the poster above you, seem to be getting confused on that point.

Secondly, I work a lot with Experian data, and those results sound about right to me.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 07:36 PM
MountainHawk

That is average (mean) income Those numbers feel a little high for median income, but average income can be so distorted by the high end numbers it's hard to know if it's reasonable.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I think the numbers for NHL fans are high because they lack support amongst impoverished people. In no way am I trying to racist here but I will use Boston as an example

I could see how the NBA could have a lower "average income" due to their support amongst minorities in Boston. The Bruins are more popular in working class irish areas, than in more ethnic neighborhoods like Roxbury.

That being said. I think hockey has very much a middle class fan base. I am a season ticket holder for the Bruins and I don't really see many very wealthy people going to the games. The Celtics draw a much more affluent crowd.

You need to look at where the players in the NHL come from as well. Aside from Metropolite, I don't know many stories of NHL players coming from impoverish conditions. I think this speaks to the middle class roots that hockey has. Hockey is a damn expensive sport, you just don't play hockey casually. I never met many hockey players who's favorite sport was not hockey.

Also, I think the NHL fans are more high tech than other teams fans simply due to the horrible media outlets we have in the USA. Aside from NESN, I get all my hockey info online from here, TSN, Sportsnet, etc.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

You need to look at where the players in the NHL come from as well. Aside from Metropolite, I don't know many stories of NHL players coming from impoverish conditions. I think this speaks to the middle class roots that hockey has. Hockey is a damn expensive sport, you just don't play hockey casually. I never met many hockey players who's favorite sport was not hockey.
Although I might be generalizing a bit here, I think that's probably more true in the US. I have no idea how lower-middle class people approach hockey in the US (assuming their son/daughter is interested in the sport), but I know for a fact that many Canadian families that could best be described as 'working poor' still find a way to pony up for their kids hockey, even in some cases the 5000+ dollars for elite 'AAA' hockey.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 02:10 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The income metric was especially interesting. The average for NHL fans in this study was ~$89,000. MLS was next at ~86,000; NBA, MLB and NFL came in respectively at $83.8K, 82K, and 81.8K.
I wonder what it is for NASCAR.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 02:59 AM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Skittles View Post
Old info, new source..
usually called: corroboration

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 03:10 AM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
That is average (mean) income Those numbers feel a little high for median income, but average income can be so distorted by the high end numbers it's hard to know if it's reasonable.
median household income in canuckia is 53k.

lots of NHL fans here, but lots of people can't afford/get tix to games or buy lots of schawg. so do they count?

imo, too much of pro sports attendance is subsidized, because its an acceptable business expense. this is a luxury discount, which accelerates prices for joe public, which I think is unfair.

but. whatever. its a business model. I am at complete liberty to not participate.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Hawker14

Jim Balsillie skewers the figures in hockey's favor.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Jonas1235

For some reason people in the northern part of North America seem to be more tech-savvy and are on sites like these more often. Maybe that's why the other sports are behind the NHL in that area. Most of the NHL's fans are in the northern parts and not so much in the south. The other sports rely on the southern markets more than the NHL does.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 01:02 PM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
For some reason people in the northern part of North America seem to be more tech-savvy and are on sites like these more often. Maybe that's why the other sports are behind the NHL in that area. Most of the NHL's fans are in the northern parts and not so much in the south. The other sports rely on the southern markets more than the NHL does.
well what the hell are we gonna do during our cold winters? play outside?! hellll no! gimme by laptop and HDPVR!

the past year or so, i believe the NHL and hockey in general is doing a great job marketing towards the proper target audience, and looking better than ever before.

- tech savvy fans? lets make a deal with YOUTUBE.

- i believe the western parts of NA have seen a boom in immigration from asia (i live in vancouver where i KNOW its happening). these people tell others back home about hockey... what does the NHL do? TV DEAL in asia! (this move WILL be a success).

- regular season games in europe. people in europe have lots of disposable income and hockey fanatics already... promote the game at the top level with regular season games.

just have to get the game out of some "deadzones" in the USA... florida, atlanta, nashville and phoenix .

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post

just have to get the game out of some "deadzones" in the USA... florida, atlanta, nashville and phoenix .
Oh oh. Prepare for the onslaught.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
way to paint with a broad brush there.

Washington DC major tech hub.

Atlanta is certainly the IT hub of the entire south, I know many people personally that work in that field.

Carolina has lot of educated people in university triangle people and I suspect IT is an important segment in that region.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:53 PM
poetryingasoline

Do you guys think that the high rates for hockey fans that are on-line has to do with availability on t.v.?

poetryingasoline is offline   Reply With Quote