HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parts of NYC most hockey fan-oriented?

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 09:50 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Parts of NYC most hockey fan-oriented?

Are there any boroughs of New York in which hockey is a bit more followed than the others? And more specifically, are there specific parts of one or more of the boroughs that follow hockey to a larger extent than most of the rest of the city?

I just ask out of sheer curiosity since it seems like there is an extreme lack of interest within NYC itself, but I figured there have to be pockets of fairly large numbered Rangers OR Islanders fans in specific parts of the city.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
nyr7andcounting

it's not that theres a lack of intrest in NYC it's just that theres so many people and so much going on that you can't appeal to everyone.

I'd say Manhattan has the most Rangers fans and Bronx has the least?

Old
02-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Terryble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Are there any boroughs of New York in which hockey is a bit more followed than the others?
Yes, it's called New Jersey!

Sorry...had to say it tho!

Old
02-25-2004, 10:16 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Even if you were to include Hoboken as the 6th NYC borough, I doubt it would be #1. :p

By the way, I'm not simply asking about fans of a certain team....just people that are hockey fans. I have a few friends in Brooklyn (all white) and none of them have even the slightest interest in the NHL.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Terryble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Even if you were to include Hoboken as the 6th NYC borough, I doubt it would be #1. :p

By the way, I'm not simply asking about fans of a certain team....just people that are hockey fans. I have a few friends in Brooklyn (all white) and none of them have even the slightest interest in the NHL.
I'm a fan of hockey in general. Figure here in NJ you have a huge Devils following plus the Rags, plus the Isles plus South Jersey is big on the Flyers. Basically, here you can watch the Rags, Debs and Islanders whenever they are playing...without satellite.

Anyway, I digress...you were asking about NYC.

Post a poll...

Old
02-25-2004, 11:27 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryble
I'm a fan of hockey in general. Figure here in NJ you have a huge Devils following plus the Rags, plus the Isles plus South Jersey is big on the Flyers. Basically, here you can watch the Rags, Debs and Islanders whenever they are playing...without satellite.

Anyway, I digress...you were asking about NYC.

Post a poll...
i dont know about now, becuase i just moved back here, but my area of brooklyn used to be a huge hockey area. almost every block you went down had a bunch of us damn kids playing street hockey, and there is a roller hockey rink very close by(and i guess abe stark isn't that far.)

there are probably just more casual NY sports fans that sometimes watch the rangers than die hards.

i dont see any of that now. i think people are even embarassed to wear ranger blue these days.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:38 PM
xevious

I live in Manhattan but I'd say there are a lot of Rangers fans in Brooklyn. Everytime I'm out there I see a lot of Ranger hats/shirts.
Real Rangers fans aren't embarrased to wear their gear no matter what the standings are.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:49 PM
nyr5186

I've always thought of hockey as being a suburban sport in the U.S., unlike basketball, where its mainly a city game. As for what parts of NYC are the most hockey fan oriented, I'd say many of the European (mainly Russian) neighborhoods like Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay (where I live ). In eastern Europe, soccer is #1, but hockey is usually right behind it. So since soccer is pretty much non-existant in the States, many Russian immigrants who came over and settled in Russian neighborhoods have taken up hockey as their #1 sport. At least thats the case with my family, so I'd venture to guess I'm not the only one.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:38 AM
rootin tootin

Easily Long Island. That's where top travel teams and varsity teams are at!

Old
02-26-2004, 02:02 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

I can't speak for the Bronx or most of Manhattan because I don't know many people who live there, but various parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island all have lots of fans. There are plenty of people in my neighborhood (Park Slope) and surrounding areas who are long time fans--especially those of us who grew up in various parts of New York City.

If I had to generalize, I would say that the longer a person and/or their family has lived in or around New York, the more likely they are to be at least aware of the Rangers and hockey and many of them will even watch some games now and again and read the occasional article about the team. Of course, there are many people--there are over 8 million within New York City alone--who are just not interested in sports in general. That's one of the things I like most: I can take the dog for a walk or run some errands and end up having 2 or 3 completely different conversations on totally different topics.

Old
02-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Fletch

I'd have to agree with Brooklyn...

There's a good deal of interest in hockey in Brooklyn (knowing older and younger people in the borough who play hockey, ice and deck/floor/whatever you wanna call it). I also know of some people (fans and players) on the eastern part of Queens. Unfortunately, there aren't too many places to play ice hockey in the boroughs, so it's tough to get that interest. Maybe a bit more per capita as you move out towards Long Island and up in to Westchester on your way up to Connecticut. The Bronx...haven't found too many fans there. Tried to convert my girlfriend's family (which is quite large), but they don't have much interest - just like making fun of the white boy (me) and his favorite sport.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:47 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
There's a good deal of interest in hockey in Brooklyn (knowing older and younger people in the borough who play hockey, ice and deck/floor/whatever you wanna call it). I also know of some people (fans and players) on the eastern part of Queens. Unfortunately, there aren't too many places to play ice hockey in the boroughs, so it's tough to get that interest. Maybe a bit more per capita as you move out towards Long Island and up in to Westchester on your way up to Connecticut. The Bronx...haven't found too many fans there. Tried to convert my girlfriend's family (which is quite large), but they don't have much interest - just like making fun of the white boy (me) and his favorite sport.

Staten Island has lots of Hockey/Raner fans.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootin tootin
Easily Long Island. That's where top travel teams and varsity teams are at!
Do you play on one of them?

Old
02-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

A ton of Ranger fans in Bklyn. Brooklynites root for any foe of Long Icelanders :p

Old
02-26-2004, 11:48 AM
JR#9*

I grew up in Marine Park Bklyn and there are plenty of hockey fans there and other parts of BKLYN as well.

I'm in Staten Island now and that also has a fair amount of hockey fans.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Underwhelmed_NYC

<~~from marine park
play at sportsfest in SI

Old
02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwhelmed_NYC
<~~from marine park
play at sportsfest in SI

Alot of Marine parkers/Sheepshead Bayers on HF I've noticed which goes to illistrate the strong hockey following in BLYN.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I spent alot of my younger years in Gerritsen Beach & Bay Ridge. There was always guys playing roller hockey in the 80's. When rival neighborhoods would play one another there'd always be fights, old time hockey eh?

Not too far away near Sheepshead Bay is the Kings Bay boys club - they have an outdoor roller hockey rink. We were jealous but that was too fancy for the streetkids, we liked the broken glass & cracked pavement, made us better stickhandlers. :p

Old
02-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Underwhelmed_NYC

we play at the ps 222 school yard too

Old
02-26-2004, 12:44 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I spent alot of my younger years in Gerritsen Beach & Bay Ridge. There was always guys playing roller hockey in the 80's. When rival neighborhoods would play one another there'd always be fights, old time hockey eh?

Not too far away near Sheepshead Bay is the Kings Bay boys club - they have an outdoor roller hockey rink. We were jealous but that was too fancy for the streetkids, we liked the broken glass & cracked pavement, made us better stickhandlers. :p
A beach Rat, huh Bluenote?

They really should construct a legit outdoor rollerhockey rink in that nieghborhood already.

We used to play in the schoolyard in Good Shepherd b/w ave S and T.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:52 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13

You guys are making me nostalgic. My early years were spent in Brooklyn, near Flatbush. I used to live on 18th ave & Foster ave.
Anyway, I know EXACTLY to the rink that you are referring to in Sheepshead Bay. My grandmother used to live there, so I used to go and play all over the area, all the time.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Underwhelmed_NYC

ahh we used to play in good shep too
but mostly in marine park
hmmm

Old
02-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
<~~from marine park
play at sportsfest in SI
My Uncle who was an amzing defenseman, helped startup the Marine Park Roller hockey league that was around back in the 70's/80's. The Mullen Brothers played on his line in a scrimmage game in the late 70's.

The alltime best NY Hockey story is from the LI Men's "A" league during the mid-late 70's. It was like 'Slap Shot'. There was fighting allowed, no helmets, steelcage instead of glass, etc. . The league was made up of ten teams - 9 from LI, 1 from Brooklyn. My Dad & Uncle started the Brooklyn team, full of young blue collar roller hockey players who had skated maybe once on ice. The rest of the teams were middle class LI's.

Right off the bat there was trouble - the LI guys didn't want the Bklyn guys in the league. The Bklyn team was called the Tomahawks. My father ordered team jersey's. His favorite Jersey, the Blackhawks was taken, and his 2nd fave the Kansas City Scouts were out of stock - so he just asked the guy to send him whatever he had that looked like those. The guy at the shop ended up sending the team almost exact replicas of the Philadelphia Flyers!!?? The most hated team during the Broadstreet Bully days, especially in Long Island. The only difference was that the "P" for Philly was a "T" for Tomahawks.

From the minute they hit the ice, they were targeted. But being that these guys were great stickhandlers from all the roller hockey & that they were street guys, they won the fights and on the scoreboard. They went undefeated in two seasons. At the end of the first season the league instituted a new playoff - the champion of the regular season has to beat an all-star team made up of the rest of the league's top players. Except they didn't load the team with scorers, they loaded it with all the toughest fighters - ala 'Slap Shot'.

The Brooklyn team went out & beat that "all-star" squad 2-0. Player's girlfriends & wives got into catfights in the stands.

This is how I was introduced to Hockey as a Nine year old

Old
02-26-2004, 01:00 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
ahh we used to play in good shep too
but mostly in marine park
hmmm

Thta's funny but you're probrably a couple of yrs younger as you sound as if you still play there.I haven't been on skates in yrs.

What part of MP do you live in.My family is still there on Haring b/w R and S.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
You guys are making me nostalgic. My early years were spent in Brooklyn, near Flatbush. I used to live on 18th ave & Foster ave.
Anyway, I know EXACTLY to the rink that you are referring to in Sheepshead Bay. My grandmother used to live there, so I used to go and play all over the area, all the time.
My Grandparents lived off of Flatbush, E.54TH Street & Ave.U across from Kings Plaza. There was a Center Island off of Ave. U that was perfect for roller hockey, did U ever play there TB?

Closed Thread