HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(#1): 10/4/2008 New York Rangers @ Tampa Bay Lightning 12:00pm MSG

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2008, 08:06 PM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
I wouldn't be too happy having to see the Rangers face Smith every time we play Tampa, but the guy has never played more than 34 games in a season. It's hard to say how he will fare once the pressure mounts. Last season he only had a .893 SV% despite playing very well against us.

But yeah, it's going to be refreshing facing Kolzig tomorrow. He gave up a lot of very soft goals last season

Old
10-04-2008, 08:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
So do we replace Prucha or Dawes with Fritche?
Replace Orr with Fritsche.
Replace Voros with Sjostrom.

Tampa is not interested in gooning it up. Just put speedy skilled guys out there. They are both extremely solid defensively and can play the PK.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:20 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Replace Orr with Fritsche.
Replace Voros with Sjostrom.

Tampa is not interested in gooning it up. Just put speedy skilled guys out there. They are both extremely solid defensively and can play the PK.
I dont mind Voros at all. He actually can score, has average offensive instincts and an somewhat of an enforcer. He's a player I wouldnt mind playing all 82 games.

I think he might even do better then Prucha on that 3rd line, give them some more size to open things up, and again, he can score so he won't hurt them offensively.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Fletch

Monkey...

I doubt Renney changes anything up. If it's me, though, I sit Dawes, replace him with Prucha and play Fritsche between Cally and Korps.

FLY - you do realize you are talking about a 27 year old with 7 career goals.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I doubt Renney changes anything up. If it's me, though, I sit Dawes, replace him with Prucha and play Fritsche between Cally and Korps.

Yup,

But hes only played 55 games so...not saying he's all of a sudden going to break out and score 20 goals, 30 assists for us...but maybe 10G, 15A, while giving some space for Korpi and Cally to do there thing...Eh I don't think that would be all that bad.

Thats best case scenario for him, the most logical, is him on the 4th line like tonight, providing more offense then anyone on the line last season.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:33 PM
broadwayblue

2-1 Win. I have a feeling we're going to have a lot of those this season. At least we will if things go according to plan.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:38 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
it's only one game, and it's the first game of the season, so any thoughts (negative or positive) need to take that into consideration.

I did see something that I think will trouble the Rangers this season, and that's a free pass to Lundqvist and numerous quality chances. Perhaps I'm over-reacting to Kalinin's multiple ole's, but I don't see the front of the net as an area in which the Rangers will be strong.

I do believe that one day Renney will have to commit to matching defensemen against other teams' forward lines. Too often was Levacalier out there against Kalinin and that's falat-out retarded. Thought Girardi struggled here and there, so it's no wonder they were paired. The other defensemen were OK. Rozsival had a couple soft moments and Redden was silent, which I guess is good.

To the forwards...after one regular season NHL game, I don't think Korps is an NHL center. Or, to put it better, he isn't an NHL center currently. Think he's better on a wing and perhaps Renney should consider moving Cally to the center position to take more advantage of Korps' board work. Thought Cally had a mostly weak game, although the line did pretty well, surprisingly led by Prucha.

The top line moved the puck well. Drury looks like he needs time to get adjusted to the wing position. Naslund played pretty well. Gomez did too, although when Gomez tries to do too much, he turns the puck over way too often.

Dubi's line was OK. Dawes - did he play? Noticed him on a couple PPs, but not at ES at all. Zherdev's obviously a talent, but he's also a turnover machine, or was today. Look forward to him getting more comfy. Dubi had a nice game. Great shot on the goal, mostly simple otherwise.

The fourth line played too much and the Rangers will still need to win these games while not scoring much. Good thing Lundqvist was 100% on today. Renney simply loves this line and continues his conservative ways.

All in all, a very good game to watch. The game was as even as the score indicated, but not as even as the shot count indicated. Tampa seemed to counter a lot, and the Rangers seemed to sustain pressure a lot, which Tampa being able to contain them. Both goalies played very well. Look forward to tomorrow's game.
true. if renneys gonna play this line were going to need better players than orr and voros. im sorry, orr is awful. i dont care if he had a scoring chance or not today. he is just brutal. when hes not pounding someone, hes useless. i would like to see him play no more than once every 3 games. and when he does play, i would skip him alot and double shift cally or prucha or fritsche if its a close game. and im not sure voros will be that effective on the 4th line esp. playing with betts and orr.

i just hope renney staples him and the entire 4th line to the bench in 3rd periods of close games.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
When I saw Adam Hall out there, I had a bad feeling that Voros is the next Adam Hall.

Overall good game, need to finish more obviously but Smith played pretty well. Got some good chances and the power play looked better. Glad Dubinsky scored, really hope he becomes a great player this year.

Old
10-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Did Dubi's goal remind anyone else of Jagr's PP goals from 05-06? Spooky.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Fletch

Fly..

the other part of the point was he's a 27 year old with only 55 games of experience. Not sure I'd be willing to take too many bets on his abilities at this point.

Old
10-04-2008, 09:52 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Too many give aways resulting in odd man rushes by Tampa. Especially in the 1st period.

Kalinin didn't look so good and Redden was caught more than once playing deep and no forward covering for him.

I also wasn't really impressed by Dawes

but its only game 1

staal played a good game as did girardi. naslund was a cool customer in traffic too. I would also give Gomez points, he carries the puck well in traffic.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:09 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
2-1 Win. I have a feeling we're going to have a lot of those this season. At least we will if things go according to plan.
This team won't go anywhere if that's the case. The Rangers played Lundqvist into the ground last year by having him stand on his head every other game, and look what happened. He needs those days when he isn't called upon a lot so he doesn't tire. Unfortunately, if he keeps the games close like in the beginning of last season, I bet the offense will start slacking again.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:13 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i agree but IMO fritsche shouldve been playing over orr....voros-betts-fritsche would have been a much better overall line
Orr is going to play pretty much every game. He has for the last 2.5 years. Ever since Dolan's screaming match after a Philly game. And I doubt that Voros is getting paid what he is getting paid not to play. I think that the 4th line that you saw tonight will be the 4th line on most nights. The decisions will be who plays on the second line (if Dawes cannot hold the spot) and which of Prucha/Rissmiller/Fritsche will play.

Good game overall. Not a very physical game, which benefits the Rangers. I would think that changes when they are back in NA. The top line looked great. Dubinsky looked good and Zheredev was very much visible. Never expected him to block a shot.

THe giveaways in the 1st period were atrocious and Henke was the sole reason that the Rangers were in the game. The team woke up after that and played pretty well defensively.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

You've got to give Orr some credit. He looks like a hockey player.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
My thinking exactly, Fletch. I could not agree more that Korps is better off as a wing providing board work along the wings.

Old
10-04-2008, 11:21 PM
blue2noise

Quote:

Agree with your changes

Old
10-04-2008, 11:26 PM
NYR Viper

i have been ragging on him all off-season but prucha to me played a very good game....he did exactly what he needed to.....he needs to work down low with his quickness and drive to the net.....

Old
10-04-2008, 11:35 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i have been ragging on him all off-season but prucha to me played a very good game....he did exactly what he needed to.....he needs to work down low with his quickness and drive to the net.....
This was Prucha's best game in nearly 2 years.

Old
10-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
You've got to give Orr some credit. He looks like a hockey player.
He's worked very hard with the coaches to get there. I like that about him

Old
10-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1167
I love how theres a Naslund and Zherdev hate thread on both CBJ and VAN forums about how terrible they each are.

10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
I love how theres a Naslund and Zherdev hate thread on both CBJ and VAN forums about how terrible they each are.
I know, it's just sour grapes though. Both guys needed a new start and hopefully they will return to form and live up to expectations here in NY.

Old
10-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
hahaha. I know. But I have to say there is a group of people on Vancouver/Columbus board, who respect the players and arent bitter. Just check the Drury is captain thread in the National Hockey League Talk board.

Old
10-05-2008, 02:15 AM
D713B

Quote:

I thought Fritsche wasn't that great of a center?

Old
10-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
He's worked very hard with the coaches to get there. I like that about him
I like that about our coaching staff, I think they make time to deal with everyone 1 on 1 as they should. Just seems they are really good about that.

Old
10-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Fletch

D713...

Fritsche may not be a good centerman - I'm not sure Korps is either, or if he will be, and the organization should decide if his future is on the wing or at center. If it's on the wing, and they want him in the lineup, perhaps they should have him as a winger, instead of trying to force him in the lineup without making a tough decision, or just make the tough decision if he deserves to be in the lineup over others.

Closed Thread