HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PRE-SEASON--Toronto Maple Leafs @ Detroit Red Wings -- 7:30pm EST, Oct. 3/08

Old
10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by draeko17 View Post
Grabovski was pretty quiet tonight but was still working hard and he was rewarded with a goal. He's played a lot of games this week, he may be a bit tired.
Based on 4 hooking penalties, a holding and a tripping, the whole team sounded tired, or overmatched in the speed department.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 09:51 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Based on 4 hooking penalties, a holding and a tripping, the whole team sounded tired, or overmatched in the speed department.
Compare the line-ups. Compare the bluelines. What did you expect?

draeko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:03 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I like the effort, and the results of the experiments.

Winning is secondary to everything else in the preseason.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Mr Scarface*

Mark bell won almost every faceoff, winning 7, losing 2. Playing only just over 9 minutes. He got game. Detroit is the toughest team to beat in faceoffs. And they got all key suckas doing thang tonight. Toronto is ready, RW is bouncing with it. This team will hurt muthas during the season.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:15 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Mark bell won almost every faceoff, winning 7, losing 2. Playing only just over 9 minutes. He got game. Detroit is the toughest team to beat in faceoffs. And they got all key suckas doing thang tonight. Toronto is ready, RW is bouncing with it. This team will hurt muthas during the season.
I thought Bell had an alright game tonight, forchecking, helping out defensively.

Old
10-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Fenton

I didn't watch the game, but caught the box score.

I'm happy to see Grabovski notch another goal... I'm certain he will be our highest scoring forward this season. So far, its looking like a decent trade for the Leafs. Hopefully he can continue his success in the regular season. By the looks of it, the Leafs will lack scoring up front so he will be getting a good chunk of ice time if he continue to produce.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Kalhua

Quote:
I thought Bell had an alright game tonight, forchecking, helping out defensively.
For the amount of ice time given I too thought he played a good game

Kalhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:46 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

We're starting to see the vets pick it up a bit as the preseason goes along.....too bad Nik & Poni both had a few screwups late in this one. They gotta do better than that.

And I hope Toskala gets warmed up soon.....none of Detroit's goals were exactly things of beauty.

I like Nik at centre. He should stay there.

Steen/Stajan has good chemistry, as usual, and should stay together.

I like Kronwall. This guy has a very nice combination of mobility and physicality. I wish he could get a real chance to get an NHL shot with us. He looks like a quality NHLer to me.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 10:49 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
We're starting to see the vets pick it up a bit as the preseason goes along.....too bad Nik & Poni both had a few screwups late in this one. They gotta do better than that.

And I hope Toskala gets warmed up soon.....none of Detroit's goals were exactly things of beauty.

I like Nik at centre. He should stay there.

Steen/Stajan has good chemistry, as usual, and should stay together.

I like Kronwall. This guy has a very nice combination of mobility and physicality. I wish he could get a real chance to get an NHL shot with us. He looks like a quality NHLer to me.
Coming along.

Will be interesting to see the full line up, especially if Toskala elevates his game.

Old
10-03-2008, 11:23 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
Been out cutting firewood.
Only 1 question, how did White do as a winger?

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:24 PM
teleman

Count me among those who liked seeing White moved up to forward. He looked good tonight and IMO should get a longer look there.

teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Fenton

Just watching the game review now on Leafs... I like what I saw from White. I really hate him playing defense, but he looked alright playing forward. I hope RW tries the experiment again either tomorrow or Sunday. White has not looked good on defense this pre-season, but so far I have been impressed with his play at forward.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:50 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Been out cutting firewood.
Only 1 question, how did White do as a winger?
Not sure he's played a better NHL game.

Old
10-04-2008, 12:02 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
Well thats 3 out of 3.
Its good to hear and really long overdue but also the first time we've had this depth to compete on defense.
One look at the waiver material so far and for all his faults he'd be at or very near the top of that group.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Compare the line-ups. Compare the bluelines. What did you expect?
Good Point ..

Wings were without Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Hossa, Cleary, Kronwall, Stuart, Chelios, Osgood ..

They will be a lot better come the regular season, then they were tonight.

10-04-2008, 07:00 AM
iceblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Good Point ..

Wings were without Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Hossa, Cleary, Kronwall, Stuart, Chelios, Osgood ..

Not so sure any team will play their "A" team and especially their #1 goalie against the Leafs in the regular season.

iceblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
Not so sure any team will play their "A" team and especially their #1 goalie against the Leafs in the regular season.
Playing a back-up goalie is one thing but.... since when did players start sitting against weaker opponents?

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Watching the Canucks against the Flames the other night reminded me what the Leafs no longer have, a goaltender who can steal a game.
Elite goaltending hid a lot of our foibles and we were insanely spoiled when Cujo left and we got Belfour to replace him. Sadly, garnering an elite goalie is easier said than done, unless of course you're Vancouver and happen to run into a retarded Panther squad or pull an insane rabbit out of the hat ala Calgary.

Quote:
Playing a back-up goalie is one thing but.... since when did players start sitting against weaker opponents?
That would be hysterical/exceptionally depressing all at the same time. What.. we're playing the Leafs? You guys don't need me, I'm going to the bar.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 09:50 AM
draeko17

Quote:
Good Point ..

Your spin is so predictable. I doubt you could look anyone in the eye and say with a straight face that last night's Detroit lineup wasn't pretty superior to the Leaf's lineup. Okay, well, maybe you could. But not because you believe it. I think you're too smart for that. But I also think you just enjoy stirring the pot.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Your spin is so predictable. I doubt you could look anyone in the eye and say with a straight face that last night's Detroit lineup wasn't pretty superior to the Leaf's lineup.
He's not spinning anything, what he was saying is that, Detroit was lacking more talent than the Leafs were, thus, if both rosters were at full strength, it could be even uglier.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
That would be hysterical/exceptionally depressing all at the same time. What.. we're playing the Leafs? You guys don't need me, I'm going to the bar.
That already happened last season. We were the team opponents rested their starters against.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:17 AM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
He's not spinning anything, what he was saying is that, Detroit was lacking more talent than the Leafs were, thus, if both rosters were at full strength, it could be even uglier.
Bull***. List the teams that played last night. Are you seriously going to say the Leafs iced the more talented team last night? If that's not what you're saying, then it's pure spin.

Even if you want to ignore the lineups, you have to take in to account the fact that you have one team with many players that just one the SC together playing for the same coaching team under the same "system". On the other side of the ice you have a pretty young team, many whom have never played together and all who are trying to learn a completely new "system".

The good news is, that's two games in a row now where we've seen the Leafs dominated in the first period, and then come out and compete hard and make a game of it after the first intermission. With a bit more time and a more consistent lineup, we are likely going to see the team come out more prepared to compete hard from the first puck drop. Win or lose, this is what we want to see.

Old
10-04-2008, 10:18 AM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
That already happened last season. We were the team opponents rested their starters against.
He means that the other poster suggested that other teams rested their star players for the games, not just their starting goalies.

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Your spin is so predictable. I doubt you could look anyone in the eye and say with a straight face that last night's Detroit lineup wasn't pretty superior to the Leaf's lineup. Okay, well, maybe you could. But not because you believe it. I think you're too smart for that. But I also think you just enjoy stirring the pot.
That's not only true for the exhibition season ..

I could look anyone in the eye and say with a straight face that Wings line-up yesterday, today and guaranteed the first regular season game that Detroit will have a superior lineup to the Leafs.

That is not just an opinion it a fact .. In fact I would laugh at any Leaf fan that thought otherwise. I certainly hope you believe that because your comparing the Stanley Cup champs roster to our rebuilding one.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 10:25 AM
draeko17

Quote:
That's not only true for the exhibition season ..

I could look anyone in the eye and say with a straight face that Wings line-up yesterday, today and guaranteed the first regular season game that Detroit will have a superior lineup to the Leafs.
That is not just an opinion it a fact .. In fact I would laugh at any Leaf fan that thought otherwise. I certainly hope you believe that because your comparing the Stanley Cup champs roster to our rebuilding one.

1)Which is exactly what I'm saying. 2)I was saying you can't compare the two rosters.