Notices

Tank it guys!

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Hockey Mojo

vCash: 500
Tank it guys!

It's OK now that there's no playoff hopes for us, let's go ahead and tank the rest of the season in hopes of obtaining a good 2004 draft pick. You know draft picks are probably the only thing that has excited us Thrashers fans these past five years because it's the only thing that we look forward too since we can't win games!

Old
02-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
It's OK now that there's no playoff hopes for us, let's go ahead and tank the rest of the season in hopes of obtaining a good 2004 draft pick. You know draft picks are probably the only thing that has excited us Thrashers fans these past five years because it's the only thing that we look forward too since we can't win games!
That's not the right attitude to have and I hope that thrashers can finish the season off strong in order to build momentum for next season.

Also I think this will be the year that DW deals the first round pick for a proven player(s), so I don't think that if we jump up a few spots in the draft will matter.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
That's not the right attitude to have and I hope that thrashers can finish the season off strong in order to build momentum for next season.

Also I think this will be the year that DW deals the first round pick for a proven player(s), so I don't think that if we jump up a few spots in the draft will matter.

Right Attitude? Every year it's been let's finish the season strong or lets play meaningful games. Next season, there's not going to be a next season, the players will not accept the owners proposal for a new CBA. When it comes to DW dealing the first round pick for a proven player, that's wishful thinking in my mind. It's not brain surgury picking the best available player when it's your pick in the draft, but what waiver wire Don is good at is picking up spare parts.

Old
02-28-2004, 08:01 AM
dunwoody_joe

I've been thinking about that myself. I agree that DW is good at marginally improving a team by upgrading a bit here and there through waiver wire pick ups and trade deadline deals. [Ferraro for a pick here, Slagr for a pick there.]

He's also made the safe and obvious choices at draft time. Even Hartley was the safe and obvious choice.

But, what he seems incapable of doing is the big picture, big move. Of course, those are always tough--but has DW ever done anything bold, ever?

These waiver wire deals pick up assets cheaply that help plug a short term hole, but they don't fundamentally change the course of a team. He needs to try something bold--not stupid--that offers the team a real chance at improvement.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:08 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
It's OK now that there's no playoff hopes for us, let's go ahead and tank the rest of the season in hopes of obtaining a good 2004 draft pick.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
I've been thinking about that myself. I agree that DW is good at marginally improving a team by upgrading a bit here and there through waiver wire pick ups and trade deadline deals. [Ferraro for a pick here, Slagr for a pick there.]

He's also made the safe and obvious choices at draft time. Even Hartley was the safe and obvious choice.

But, what he seems incapable of doing is the big picture, big move. Of course, those are always tough--but has DW ever done anything bold, ever?

These waiver wire deals pick up assets cheaply that help plug a short term hole, but they don't fundamentally change the course of a team. He needs to try something bold--not stupid--that offers the team a real chance at improvement.

I words exactly!!! I couldn't of said it better than you did dunwoody joe!!!

Closed Thread