HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs and Komi negotiating (per Pedneault on CKAC)

Old
10-08-2008, 10:53 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Komi is a Canadian today and I would say that most fan would applaud a 5 year deal. A few perhaps still more then not would welcome a 8+year deal.

I`m in the second. 8 Year deal @ 4.5-5 mill. cap hit would more likely be a steal. Aside the point, for a player, it's about the guarantied money and 36 to 40 millions is a good start for a player. For the team, 6million for the first 3 year,5million for the next 3(18+15=33) and the last 2 @4 would be 38 million over 8 years cap hit less then 5 million. The player get a nice chuck at first.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
neofury*

I think they can get it done for 5 years 27.5 million. Just my opinion on the matter tho.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
otto bond

I'm hoping it's sooner then later.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Darz

I have a feeling if BG signs Komi in the next little while, it will be a 4 year extension. Can't see Bob or Komi wanted to sign anything longer than that.

I wouldn't even guess on the money.

10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Komi will be signed for 10 years....

*puts pinky finger to corner of mouth*

at 150 gazillions...

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAMWHAHA HAHAHAHAHA

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think he'd get 5 to 5.5 max on the UFA market. he's young and people always overbid for defensemen.
Agreed, I think he may even get a front loaded 30 mil on 5 years from a greedy team.

I think the Habs may be able to get him for 30 mil on 7 years if they want to be creative and get a home team discount.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I have a feeling if BG signs Komi in the next little while, it will be a 4 year extension. Can't see Bob or Komi wanted to sign anything longer than that.

I wouldn't even guess on the money.
I wouldn't want Gainey to sign Komi (as much as i like komi) for more than 4 years. Komisarek is the kind of player who will most likely wear down quickly as he gets older, the next 4 years will probably be his most prime years, I think once he reaches his peak, the downfall might be drastic, Derian Hatcher, Jason Smith style

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I wouldn't want Gainey to sign Komi (as much as i like komi) for more than 4 years. Komisarek is the kind of player who will most likely wear down quickly as he gets older, the next 4 years will probably be his most prime years, I think once he reaches his peak, the downfall might be drastic, Derian Hatcher, Jason Smith style
Look at guys like Foote, Pronger, Charra etc The dropoff and wear down effect hasn't been that great. Komi will be more injury prone than Markov because of his style but I don;t see a 5-7 year deal as high risk. Going to 8-10 years, yes you are getting a bit risky there.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:00 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Are there any*updates or is it just speculation until now?

I'm starting to wonder the same thing....

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Darz

Quote:
I agree. Even if he doesn't break down, it's not like in the 4th year of the deal, you can't sign him to another extension.

I think a 4 year deal would work out perfectly for both sides.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I agree, I wouldn't go as far as 4-5years.
But Komi will not have a similar downfall as Hatcher or Smith. These guys had a huge downfall since the lockout, because the game changed so much. Komi's downfall will eventually be injuries IMO.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I agree, I wouldn't go as far as 4-5years.
But Komi will not have a similar downfall as Hatcher or Smith. These guys had a huge downfall since the lockout, because the game changed so much. Komi's downfall will eventually be injuries IMO.
Hatcher had a big downfall because he was slow and the NHL is cracking down on obstruction. Smith is still a reliable top 4 d-man, his play has not dropped off dramatically, he is just getting older as is Hatcher.

The problem with sticking with a 3 year offer for Komi is that the cap hit will be higher since he and his agent know they can get 27-30 mil over 5 years(front loaded) on the UFA market. On a 3 year contract the Habs will pay at least 16-17 mil. I think if they were to go for 6 years, they could get him 3 more years for just an extra 10-11 mil, thus lessening the cap hit from 5.5 to 4.3-4.5.

Old
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
You are right. Do you think 40 millions for 10 years would be a plausible and fair contract ?
No Komi worth alot more than 4 millions per year.. At the begin I said Komi would sign in the 6-7 millions range per year and I still think this is what he could get on the open market but some posters made me change my mind a bit, I think its gonna be in the 5-6 millions range if he resign here.. 55 millions for 10 years, personally I would do it in a heartbeat to keep Komi here for that long.. 44 millions for 8 years would be fine too..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:25 PM
HabsoluteFate

lol @ 10 years....

What's the most # of years Gainey has signed a player...Hamrlik with 4 years?

If he can get him signed for 6 years he's beat the 4 year contract and i think that part is possible....

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Are there any*updates or is it just speculation until now?
It's the Habs and Gainey...I doubt we get any more updates until the deal is signed.

It's not ''speculation'' that they are negotiating, Pedneault on CKAC and the guys on La Zone were talking about it last friday like it was concrete news.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:32 PM
bogolisk

During 110% on Oct-3rd. There was exchange about Komi contract:
Quote:
- Lors de la journee des des examens medicaux. On a rencontre Komisarek.

- Oui?

- On lui a dit que c'est la derniere annee de son contrat.Est-ce que..

- Il est parti a rire, heh?

- La, lui... Il repondait avec un sourire mais un sourire qui veut dire... "Les gars, je ne peux pas vous repondre... Mais ce n'est pas une question qui m'enerve...". Apres moi, c'est deja commence...
Sorry, neither my English nor French are good enough to do a decent translation. This is my rough attempt:
Quote:
- On the medical day, I've talked to Komi.

- Yes?

- I told him since this is the last year of this contract. Is it...

- He started laughing, eh?

- He... he answered with smile... but a smile that says "Guys, I cannot really answer your question. But it's not something I would worry about...". I think it's being done and it has been for a while (the new contract negotiations)...

bogolisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Thanks bogolisk and welcome to the Habs board.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Thanks bogolisk and welcome to the Habs board.
Ya welcome to the board, and i think the guy that said that was Pierre Rinfret, the ex-commentator on CKAC

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Come to think of it, I honestly believe anything above 3.5 million is over payment. He brings a lot to this team but...

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
Come to think of it, I honestly believe anything above 3.5 million is over payment. He brings a lot to this team but...
He can get 4.5M.
3.5M is a steal. Especially if we look at all the contract handed this past summer.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
If you aren't going above 3.5 he's definetely walking...

I don't think 5 million is an overpayment for our first pairing defencemen who is a league leader in hits and blocked shots.,

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Good try bogolisk, thank you for the transcription. But allow me to offer a clearer look at what they said:

A better translation of

Quote:
- La, lui... Il repondait avec un sourire mais un sourire qui veut dire... "Les gars, je ne peux pas vous repondre... Mais ce n'est pas une question qui m'enerve...". Apres moi, c'est deja commence...
is:

Quote:
He answered with a smile, but a smile that said, "Guys, I can't answer that.... but it's not something I'm concerned about." If you ask me, it's already started.
Meaning the dude on 110% is just making conjecture since Komi answered with a smile.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm glad you're not GM. If a guy like Redden is worth 6.5 mil then Komi will get a lot more than 3.5 mil. I think if we get lucky we may get him at 4.5 as a home team discount. I'd take 4.5 on a 4-5-6-7 year deal and front load it. start off at 6 mil and finish at 3 or 2.5.

Old
10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Who is better - Marov or Komisarek? Who Compliments who? One of them goes down, which way does the team go?

The one that Compliments the other doesn't deserve to make 90 - 95 percent of the other.

I'm not saying Komi wouldn't get Hamrlik type deal on the open market, I'm sure teams would overpay him...they'd probably overpay in assets as well?

Give him Niklas Kronwall type deal, anything more I'd look for a team to overpay in assets

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-09-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Who is better - Marov or Komisarek? Who Compliments who? One of them goes down, which way does the team go?

The one that Compliments the other doesn't deserve to make 90 - 95 percent of the other.
Markov is better... but Komisarek's defensive reliability also allows Markov to play a bit of a different game... The last year and a half we've seen him play a more risky offensive game, knowing that he has a partner who can cover up for them.

They compliment each other very well.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote