HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-09 - Kings Manchester Monarchs (AHL) Update Thread

Old
11-29-2008, 03:13 PM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I guess the feeling about Sanguinetti would be one of his feelings that were in the minority. Not every 1st round pick is going to hit it big. Fact is if you have one that does every few years you are doing well. The Kings are doing very well in that department lately.

If Trevor Lewis can come in and be a productive third line player with the Kings it would be added gravy from the Demitra trade.
And who says that an effective 3rd center is a bad thing?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Hey KB... how are the Monarchs drawing at home given the crappy economy, etc... are they still drawing decent crowds for games?

- T
The attendance isn't very good at all. It's been in a steady decline since the lockout season (Monarchs were #1 in attendance that season). In summary, they've basically gone from top 3 in the league in each or their first five seasons to about 8th right now...

Ticket prices have increased every season since year one and they've pretty much milked the fan base as much as they can. They definitely seem like a team that's poised to be moving on to a new location soon. They've scaled back on everything including cutting out the pre-game fireworks show and such...

The folks in the Manchester showed that they'd support a team in droves if the hockey is good and reasonably priced. It hasn't been either for a while. The Monarchs had the good run in Lombardi's first season BUT the season previous to that and last season were absolutely terrible...

They lost about half of their season ticket holders over the past few seasons. They've gone from about 6,000 to somewhere around 3,000. I won't buy seasons tickets again so long as the team is affiliated with the Kings. As soon as the Kings pull out of Manchester I plan on being one of the first fans to buy season tickets for the new franchise...

Last edited by King Blazer: 11-29-2008 at 03:25 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Exactly. He may even play on the wing.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Monarchs are tied with Hartford late in the third, 1-1. Purcell has the goal, and it sounds like Bernier has been very solid in the third period.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Well, the Monarchs lost it in the last minute.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Pretty easy claim to make. Where's the evidence?
The Kings threads go all the way back to 2003......If you want to search them there is plenty of evidence there. The people who participated in many of my predictions threads know full well of my success rate.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Would a team trade their 1st round pick (especially an 18th overall pick) for an average 3rd line player? If the answer is no that means that a 1st round pick becoming an average 3rd line player is a downgrade.

Old
11-29-2008, 08:31 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Would a team trade their 1st round pick (especially an 18th overall pick) for an average 3rd line player? If the answer is no that means that a 1st round pick becoming an average 3rd line player is a downgrade.
Well Lewis might not just be an average 3rd liner

Old
11-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Well Lewis might not just be an average 3rd liner
Well let's hope that is the case.

Old
11-29-2008, 08:43 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Well let's hope that is the case.
Im pretty sure that even at the draft he was forecasted as more of a defensive player

Old
11-29-2008, 08:48 PM
kynen

Would you trade an 18th overall for Sammy Pahlsson?

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 08:50 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynen View Post
Selke calibre defensive forward?

Maybe

Old
11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Possibly........but he is far from being an "average" 3rd line player.

Old
11-29-2008, 09:03 PM
kynen

Quote:
Selke calibre defensive forward?

Maybe

Quote:
Possibly........but he is far from being an "average" 3rd line player.
I guess my point is that Lewis isn't a finished product yet. I just get annoyed (sorry can't help it ) when people say with certainty that players will fail when they haven't even played one game in the NHL yet.

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

I guess my point is that Lewis isn't a finished product yet. I just get annoyed (sorry can't help it ) when people say with certainty that players will fail when they haven't even played one game in the NHL yet.
I have never said I was certain that Lewis would fail.....I just believe he will not be as good as originally advertised. Which is not a horrible thing.....just a bit disappointing.

Old
11-30-2008, 10:19 AM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
The attendance isn't very good at all. It's been in a steady decline since the lockout season (Monarchs were #1 in attendance that season).

Ticket prices have increased every season since year one and they've pretty much milked the fan base as much as they can. They definitely seem like a team that's poised to be moving on to a new location soon.

The folks in the Manchester showed that they'd support a team in droves if the hockey is good and reasonably priced. It hasn't been either for a while.

I won't buy seasons tickets again so long as the team is affiliated with the Kings. As soon as the Kings pull out of Manchester I plan on being one of the first fans to buy season tickets for the new franchise...
KB- You hit the nail on the head here, I logged in to reply...I gave up on my season tickets a few years back and the only thing that we miss (besides Mr and Mrs KB) is the live hockey. My wife and I were talking recently about how much fun we used to have in sec 117 with you and T..

Even though minor league hockey is typically a "great value", I could not shell out the coin, pack up the family and go to the Verizon 40+ times a year...It just didn't seem like a good ROI to me. Most games were boring, perimeter hockey and I would leave frustrated. And from a fan's perspective, that's not good...Center Ice has filled the void and then some.

Although we will be there with my son's mite team, they are playing betweem periods in Janurary..

I really could care less if a new team were to be the habs affiliate..wait, I could.

Last edited by TonySCV: 11-30-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
The Kings threads go all the way back to 2003......If you want to search them there is plenty of evidence there. The people who participated in many of my predictions threads know full well of my success rate.
I'm pretty sure I don't believe this. You provided the claim. You provide the evidence, because your recent success rate - not that good.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Can anyone give me a Voynov update? How's he doing in Manchester?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I don't believe this. You provided the claim. You provide the evidence, because your recent success rate - not that good.
My recent success rate?

The only thing I have been wrong about this season is the defense (which is much better than I thought it would be)......What else have I been mistaken about recently?

In terms of my past successful predictions they include Brown making the team out of camp.....before most other people thought he would.......The total collapse of the 2005-06 season......The success of Patrick Kane when many people on these boards thought he would be too small to be successful in the NHL........The Cammalleri situation before it even went to arbitration. There were a few others that I cannot remember right now....but there were more.

Old
11-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
My recent success rate?

The only thing I have been wrong about this season is the defense (which is much better than I thought it would be)......What else have I been mistaken about recently?

In terms of my past successful predictions they include Brown making the team out of camp.....before most other people thought he would.......The total collapse of the 2005-06 season......The success of Patrick Kane when many people on these boards thought he would be too small to be successful in the NHL........The Cammalleri situation before it even went to arbitration. There were a few others that I cannot remember right now....but there were more.
You predicted that a player selected 1st overall in the draft would have success in the NHL? Wow.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:28 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
Although we will be there with my son's mite team, they are playing between periods in January..
Why do I just KNOW this is going to end up on hockeyfights.com...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
HansonBro

Bernier heating up

After what seemed like a slow start, it seems Bernier has turned things around nicely for Manchester.

He is now 5-2-2 with a 2.45 gaa and a 911 save %. has anyone been watching his games? curious to know if he is stealing any or just playing infront of a much improved team

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Can anyone give me a Voynov update? How's he doing in Manchester?
Seconding this.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:55 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

First off, we all want to see the same end result: Derek Armstrong acting like an idiot during a victory parade down Figueroa.

That being said, I feel like I need to back-up Sponge/Squid/Cap'n Ron...even though he's never seen Captain Ron. I feel that this is akin to calling yourself Jesus and not realizing why everyone loves him.

Anyways, CR definitely had a man-crush on Sanguinetti. I'll admit that when the Kings picked up the 17th pick and he was still on the board, I wanted the Kings to grab him due to Pat Hersley being our top defensive prospect.

Now that the Kings seemingly have an overabundance of D prospects, I guess it's easier to swallow drafting a forward in that spot even though this team has like 50 centers on it. The problem though is that you don't pick a guy like Lewis in the Top-20 of the draft.

Now, as I've mentioned before, the Lombardistas are feeling their John Oates right now as the Kings sit 1 game over .500. Since the worst defense on paper in the NHL has turned out to be quite good, Lombardi is getting serviced on an hourly basis on Kings boards. That's great and all but just because things seem to be working right now doesn't mean that Trevor Lewis is going to be anything special.

Lauri Tukonen
Grebs
Tambellini
Karlsson
Steckel
Aulin
Lehoux
Rosa
Volkov
Guy MF Leveque
Andersson
Hersley
Pushkarev
Kanko

The list goes on and on of prospects, first rounders included, that haven't done anything at the NHL level of real worth with Steckel and Grebs not being worth 1st round picks. The other thing they have in common was being annointed sure-fire NHL players by overzealous Kings fans...now Azevedo is going to be MC-Lyte?

Now, if Bernier isn't selected before Lewis, the Lewis pick would receive almost as much vitriol as the Hickey pick. Lewis was selected way before he should have been and the talk around here by the optimists has already reached Tuk/Karlsson/Steck territory: "He is going to be/could be a great 3rd line player".

"Would you draft Pahlsson 18th overall". C'mon. Of course I would pick a Selke finalist in the 1st round as there are only three finalists in the entire league each season. Tell me why the Kings drafted a Selke-caliber player in Lewis as in, "Why is Lewis being compared to Pahlsson?" I can show you a ton of scouting reports on guys that have a little speed but can't score in the big leagues. I suppose we should get Brad Richardson fitted for a tux so he can look sharp on awards night.

Anyways, CR is right on many ocasions because he usually errs on the side of caution. This isn't genius by any stretch of the imagination, but if you're going to predict bad things for the Kings well, that's like shooting fish in a barrel. What I do give him credit for is picking his guys and sticking to them as opposed to not knowing ANYTHING about a prospect and blindly calling him "the next_______" because he's property of the LA Kings.

The optimists are on top right now because this season has been better than expected and, honestly, I hope you guys are on top for the rest of my life as I want this team to win more than anything. What I have an issue with is that it doesn't seem like CR really attacks anyone as he states his opinion on the team. In turn, he is come at guns blazing by posters who as earlier as 3 months ago were deriding this team and Lombardi's decisions.

I don't do that fairy haiku stuff like Zad does as I feel the need to fill the essay void left by Osprey. That being said, it all comes down to this: All of us want the Kings to win. Every game. Every night.

I will not, however, give CR credit for saying Pat Kane would be good. C'mon CR, you can't say most people thought he wouldn't be good when he gets selected 1st overall

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 01:03 PM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
After what seemed like a slow start, it seems Bernier has turned things around nicely for Manchester.

He is now 5-2-2 with a 2.45 gaa and a 911 save %. has anyone been watching his games? curious to know if he is stealing any or just playing infront of a much improved team
he's stealing nothing. the defense in manchester is marginal but improving somewhat. scoring has improved with the addition of moulson & azevedo. lewis is starting to consistently put points on the board.

bernier continues to play hot & cold - making the occasional 'omg' save - yet giving up incredible softies. his lateral movement is getting better, but i wouldn't consider him a shut down goalie just yet. his skill is there - seen it in flashes, but i'm thinking his head still believes he belongs in LA. imo, quick has played much better so far.

hockeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote