HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2008-2009 General NHL Viewing Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
You may be right about where we differ. I really like Mezsaros and I think I like Carle. What they both need, as much as anything else, is a lot of minutes and opportunity, and time to commit their learning curve mistakes and mature. The team will suffer while that is happening, but in time I think both of those guys are studs.

Now those three (with Ranger) are all puck movers. They'll certainly need to bring in a defense-first player at some point. Good core, though.
That's more or less a core of two defensemen (Mezaros, whom I'm not sold on, and Ranger). Carle's defense is maybe not where it should be now, or possibly ever, and he hasn't provided enough offense to make up for it, as yet.

Not sure I see the core there, but different strokes.

Old
10-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
The Rangers defense looked bad and soft. Caps are gonna take it to King Henrik all season if they don't get aggressive in front of him.

Tampa can't get the puck out of their own zone, but this Defense is younger then ours in the rebuild (though arguably more skilled), watching this makes me really happy we had Witt around.

If we get a good forecheck going both these teams aren't going to be too hard.
My bold added.

If Jurskine or Erskina are on the team, then yes, pretty much any team in the league is more skilled then the Caps' defense.

If those clowns are out and, say, Alzner and Lepisto are in their stead, then it's not close.

Not sure where the idea that a team that had to recall Jamie Heward as a replacement D (twice) suddenly has a good defense. Tampa's defense is shockingly suspect, and any team with any forechecking presence or size to go to the middle is going to light them up.

Old
10-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Wishart, Mihalik and Smaby may be worthwhile young talents in the years to come and O'Brien is still pretty young. That's the outline of a young defense but it's nothing all that remarkable.

They've gone years without really focusing on drafting and developing and it eventually caught up to them last season. While they're likely to be more competitive this season, that organizational deficiency still remains and is likely to remain judging by the priorities of the new ownership.

They did really run around in their own zone today, although no Ranger certainly didn't help. It's going to be really difficult to build any momentum if you can't clear your own zone. Their special teams will have to be top-notch and I don't see their defense being nearly good enough on the PK against stronger PPs. I'd bumped them up to finishing second in the division but that's probably overly optimistic...even with Carolina having some injuries.

Old
10-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
My bold added.

If Jurskine or Erskina are on the team, then yes, pretty much any team in the league is more skilled then the Caps' defense.

If those clowns are out and, say, Alzner and Lepisto are in their stead, then it's not close.

Not sure where the idea that a team that had to recall Jamie Heward as a replacement D (twice) suddenly has a good defense. Tampa's defense is shockingly suspect, and any team with any forechecking presence or size to go to the middle is going to light them up.
Oh, they're going to get completely lit up this season. The puckmoving core of Ranger, Carle and Mezsaros is impressive, though, once it matures. No question, that will need to be balanced out with some complementary defensive defensemen at some point, probably veterans, when the time comes. Those types will have to come from outside the organization.

The Capitals defense is an impressive group, to my mind, provided that Jurcina/Erskine are pushed out of the mix. With a year or two in its own right, the Caps' defense will be, dare I say, of Cup contender caliber. It's also very deep with prospects. It will be good for a while.

Old
10-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Rangers are going to lean heavily on Lundqvist, with their defense. That said, last year leaning heavily on Lundqvist worked. He needs to duplicate last year's Vezina-caliber effort. That is why he gets the big bucks, though. He is the Rangers' best player.

Old
10-04-2008, 04:01 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
My bold added.

Hmm? I'm confused what does my bold added mean? You bolded something I already had in my post...or you just highlighting to show what you were replying too?

I was comparing their young D to our rebuild d when we had Heward, Witt, Morrisonn, Jurcina, Biron, Eminger, Green, etc. I know thats a mix of 2 years but that's the D groups I'm comparing them too.

Comparing them to our bad rebuild defense should infer that I don't think too highly of them. I'm just saying I'm glad we kept Vets in the mix, Witt, and then Pothier.

Heward was brought in cause Ranger can't play right now and they needed another body but I'm sure Melrose doesn't mind having one guy thats older then 23 on his blueline.

Not sure if you were arguing against me or with me...but I agree with what you wrote so if you got something different out of my post then I wrote it wrong or didn't explain it well.

I know quite a few lightning fans and when they traded Boyle for Carle...I said its okay you still got Kuba, when they traded Kuba...I said its gonna be a long year in your own zone...so I do agree. Not enough experience for now and thats great for us because we can rattle them on the forecheck and going to the net.

Old
10-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Hmm? I'm confused what does my bold added mean?
It means that it was a particular point I was addressing. I didn't convey that point properly, I apologize for any confusion.

Old
10-04-2008, 04:18 PM
malyk

And the three point games have begun!

Old
10-04-2008, 04:51 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
It means that it was a particular point I was addressing. I didn't convey that point properly, I apologize for any confusion.
Okay cool.

Anyways watching the defense from the other 4 teams in the East you really gotta like the way the Caps are shaping up. If we can get Alzner in and Jurskine out this team is going to be one of the best in both ends (though probably not THE best in either considering what getting Alzner in does to the offense).

Old
10-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Olie in net for the Bolts.

Old
10-05-2008, 11:16 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Yeah this looks odd to say the least...

Old
10-05-2008, 11:27 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I like Olie's pads.

Old
10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Are Matt Carle's skates made of concrete?

Old
10-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Devil Dancer

If this is representative of the state of play in the East this year, the Caps are in good shape.

Old
10-05-2008, 12:13 PM
txpd

The Rangers are not going to be able to score a lot of goals. They just don't have the scoring. ON the other hand watching an offensively challenged Rangers team totally dominating Tampa Bay is a sure sign that TB has a real problem on defense.

They are outshot 41-21 last night and 24-4 so far today.

Old
10-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Tampa's going to have troubles this year.

I still think dealing Boyle was a bad move. Sure, it cleared salary, but he's the type of player that could significantly help the development of the players they brought in.

However, they quickly went from having Ranger and basically some marginal prospects to adding two top end young developing defensemen. they gave up a lot of money and talent to get to that point, but they went from 1 to 3.

The question now is just will those three develop to where they could? I really don't know.

however, this year they will have trouble giving up goals. The thing I think works to their favor is they should have enough offensive abilities to compensate for much of the troubles in the back. If Smith can hold the fort this year, the youngsters learn more on the job, and they score like they could, in a year or two it could pay off. Of course they could have just switched Kuba and Boyle for 2 bad contracts.

Old
10-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Is it wrong to want Kolzig to give up 4 or 5 a night?

Old
10-05-2008, 12:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Is it wrong to want Kolzig to give up 4 or 5 a night?
Not at all. Its natural. Most here were convinced he couldn't play anymore. Nobody likes to be wrong.

Old
10-05-2008, 01:24 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

I'm rooting for Kolzig today because I don't really see Tampa as a threat.

Old
10-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Devil Dancer

I didn't see anything special from Stamkos today.

Old
10-05-2008, 01:48 PM
txpd

Stamkos is not as NHL ready as Crosby/Ovechkin. After watching these two games,I am thinking the new ownership in Tampa did their long term growth on the ice and at the turnstiles a disservice by being so aggressive in the off season and talking division titles and such.

They appear to very much stink.

Old
10-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Stamkos is not as NHL ready as Crosby/Ovechkin. After watching these two games,I am thinking the new ownership in Tampa did their long term growth on the ice and at the turnstiles a disservice by being so aggressive in the off season and talking division titles and such.

They appear to very much stink.
That could, in a strange sense, help their long-term growth. Totally agreed on Stamkos, though. Looks 18 out there.

Old
10-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I thought Stamkos has looked good for an 18 year old. They need to be playing him more.

Old
10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

wonder if they'll consider to return him to juniors before game 10?

Old
10-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Stamkos looked better in the preseason, at least from what I saw. Give the Rangers credit, they're a strong defensive team for the most part (though Redden and Kalinin are fairly inconsistent) and really hemmed the Lightning in their own zone for the majority of the game. Tampa couldn't get much pressure going on their forecheck and that's likely to be the case unless Melrose can get them to adapt and adjust to the realities of their young defense.

After the whole 'Seen Stamkos?' marketing campaign, I don't think he's going to be headed back to Sarnia. And from what it seems, marketing is the biggest priority. The problem will be marketing a fundamentally flawed team, especially if they can't sustain more offensive pressure and put the puck in the net.

Closed Thread