HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Teams most likely to cause a first round upset.

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Teams most likely to cause a first round upset.

My picks would be Nashville in the west. Physical and mean team with enough skill to get a few goals each game. Add to that Voukun, that certainly is good enough to give his team a chance to win most nights.

In the east it would be Tampa (despite them winning their division and going into playoffs as 3rd seed at worst). A hungry team that has tasted a bit of playoff success already. Goalies that can play amazing and a lot of skilled younger players.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Calgary in the West, Montreal in the East.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Shappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
My picks would be Nashville in the west. Physical and mean team with enough skill to get a few goals each game. Add to that Voukun, that certainly is good enough to give his team a chance to win most nights.

In the east it would be Tampa (despite them winning their division and going into playoffs as 3rd seed at worst). A hungry team that has tasted a bit of playoff success already. Goalies that can play amazing and a lot of skilled younger players.

Can Tampa really be considered an underdog??? It's not like they're dropping in the back door this year by virtue of the SE title, they're still in a position to take a shot at #1 or #2. I couldn't see them being a dog in the first or second round... but yes, they will make alot of noise come playoff time.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:14 AM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Calgary in the West, Montreal in the East.
Watching the Cal/Col game last night on HDnet, Grant Fuhr said he talked to a few players on Colorado and they don't want the Flames as a first round opponent...they may not win but they'll beat you up for the next round.

In the east i would say the NY Islanders could be scary if they get healthy.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:25 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shappa
Can Tampa really be considered an underdog??? It's not like they're dropping in the back door this year by virtue of the SE title, they're still in a position to take a shot at #1 or #2. I couldn't see them being a dog in the first or second round... but yes, they will make alot of noise come playoff time.
They are borderline. I didn't pick Sharks in the west because I felt they should go into their series as favourite (or at least equal). Tampa will most likely meet the no. 6 team in the east (NJ/ Boston/Toronto as it looks like now) and to me be the underdog. Of course anything can happen and they will be ranked #1 in the east when playoffs come. To me they are the only team in the east that can pull off an upset. I don't see Islanders or Habs doing it. Sabres have to play brilliant to even make playoffs so predicting them to pull an upset would be pushing it.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:29 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
Whichever team is going into the playoffs healthy and on a roll.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:35 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I wouldn't want to face Nashville or Tampa Bay in the playoffs.

Nashville just seems to be ready to go, I don't know how far they wil go, but they give whoever they play a good run for their money. This idea doubles if Vokoun really heats up.

Tampa Bay is my darkhorse choice to make a lot of noise in the playoffs

Old
02-26-2004, 01:43 AM
Shappa

Both Tampa and Nashville play outside of the major markets to, which leaves them underrated so to speak by alot of people. (I think that I've seen them in TV games about 5 times combined all year) Rumors are out there that Tampa's looking to pickup another player for the playoffs.

I don't know about Calgary though. Kipper is playing amazing right now, and could steal a series a la Giggeure, but I don't really trust him to stay as hot as he his. This team doesn't strike me as one that can knock off a Detroit or Colorado either, too many question marks, and the lack of playoff experiance is going to be their downfall in the first round.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:08 AM
dvaske

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Watching the Cal/Col game last night on HDnet, Grant Fuhr said he talked to a few players on Colorado and they don't want the Flames as a first round opponent...they may not win but they'll beat you up for the next round.

In the east i would say the NY Islanders could be scary if they get healthy.
Isles are getting healthy parish is back, Yashin is going to be another few weeks. Everyone else is at least 90%.

X factor for a dark horse is - who's got the hot goal tender.

In the east - young guns Ricky or Jose (One is bound to be hot)
In the west - the question mark Chechmanek or the untested Vokoun (One will go big time)

Old
02-26-2004, 02:23 AM
jacketracket*

Definitely the Predlies. Hard-working team w/a nasty disposition.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:29 AM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Depends on how you define "upset". Say the Lightning play the Devils in the first round, will them winning be an "upset" especially if they end the season with more points then the Devils? How about if the Blues or the Stars play and beat the Sharks in the first round, is that an upset?

Old
02-26-2004, 03:22 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian

If they get their **** together and get in the Blues have the talent. If we dont I hope the Preds make some noise. I Like they way they play and I think Trotz is underrrated as a coach.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:03 AM
vega007

From an odds perspective, Nashville are the least likely team to make the playoffs out of the nine teams vying for it in the West.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:08 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
From an odds perspective, Nashville are the least likely team to make the playoffs out of the nine teams vying for it in the West.
I dont know, I am a lifelong Blues fan but they have been god aweful for quite a while now, they are going to have to really pick it up to get in, they had to go to OT to beat the Pens and lost to the Hawks in OT recently and thise are barely above AHL calibre squads.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:11 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
With a deep, tough as nails defense; a hardworking and defensively sound group of forwards and a goaltender who seems to have really hit his stride, I think Calgary has all the markings of a Carolina/Anaheim-esque Cinderella run in the West.

And not to be too much of a homer, but the same could be said for my Isles in the East. Except for the tough as nails part, of course.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:13 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I think the Blues will make it, and I hope they play the Avs in the first round. Osgood is the kind of goalie who can get hot come playoff time even if he's having a poor season.

Old
02-26-2004, 04:17 AM
Safir*

Nashville, Calgary and Montréal (if Souray comes back and plays like an All-Star.)

Old
02-26-2004, 06:47 AM
Liquidrage*

Which ever team plays the Flyers.

No, I'm not being a wise ass. I think that team has the best chance of the upset.

Old
02-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Fan-of-#9

It's stinks that we probably won't make the playoffs, but the Sabres could cause a major first round upset..Toronto, Philly, Ottawa - take your pick.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:20 AM
jstreet

Nashville. Hungry for the chance to earn respect in the NHL.

and I dont consider Tampa an under dog either. St Louis is a scoring madman these days = goaltending is solid.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:26 AM
John Flyers Fan

Teams are so close in the current NHL, that only a few of the first round series would be considered major upsets.

Playoff matchups as of today, based upon win%.

East

Ottawa - .643
Montreal - .547

Philadelphia - .641
New York Isles - .556

Tampa - .629
Boston - .617

New Jersey - .629
Toronto - .625

West

Colorado - .645
Los Angeles - .556

Detroit - .643
Nashville - .556

San Jose - .613
Dallas - .563

Vancouver - .611
Calgary - .565

Old
02-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Tampa Bay is beating the top teams in the East. They are not a Dark Horse. They are running away with the Division. They will represent the East in the SCF.

As for a Dark Horse, I say the Islanders if they get there as they have alot of talent, and have shown the ability to get on a roll.

In the West I think the Preds will not be the force most think. Calgary on the other hand has a few elements in place and has a legitimit superstar who has shown the ability to win games by himself. Calgary will upset, if there is any.

But I think all the top seeds advance in the West.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:39 AM
puckyou21

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
If they get their **** together and get in the Blues have the talent. If we dont I hope the Preds make some noise. I Like they way they play and I think Trotz is underrrated as a coach.
The year we finally have low expectations they are gonna pull some stuff. Wishful thinking yes, but you just never know. In any case it would be nice to win a little more convincingly against the bottom feeders.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:46 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Tampa Bay is beating the top teams in the East. They are not a Dark Horse. They are running away with the Division. They will represent the East in the SCF.
It certainly could happen, Tampa is good enough to beat anyone in the East, but IMO if all teams enter the playoffs healthy, Tampa would be the 5th best team in the East.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Calgary is my pick. Miikka Kiprusoff is playing MVP hockey and looks like one of those goalies who gets in the playoffs and wins playoff series' by himself.

Closed Thread