HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Suffering from migraines after playing hockey

Old
09-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Riposte!

vCash: 500
Suffering from migraines after playing hockey

Has anyone had any experience suffering from migraines after being on the ice? It happens to me every time, to the point where I don't want to go play anymore because the pain is debilitating.

I've tried to isolate the cause; at first I thought it was dehydration, but that can't be the case because I load up on water and a good meal before I play. I thought it might be that my helmet was too tight, but I've made sure it's loose enough that it doesn't cause my head any discomfort.

The only other thing I can think of it being is the vigorous physical activity and my body not being used to it. I'm just curious if anyone else here has this problem or is familiar with it and what might be causing it?

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I have the exact same problem, and have had it for over 15 years. I have had a brain MRI and other tests and they have concluded that they are "exercise-induced migraines."

The ONLY thing that works for me are the following -

A) 1 excedrin (works most of the time, sometimes 2 are needed)
B) Sex (no joke)

The problem with excedrin is that it has caffeine, so if you have a late game, be prepared to be up for a while afterward if you take it. The excedrin coupled with the post-game adrenalin wires me for a few hours after the game.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
Has anyone had any experience suffering from migraines after being on the ice? It happens to me every time, to the point where I don't want to go play anymore because the pain is debilitating.

I've tried to isolate the cause; at first I thought it was dehydration, but that can't be the case because I load up on water and a good meal before I play. I thought it might be that my helmet was too tight, but I've made sure it's loose enough that it doesn't cause my head any discomfort.

The only other thing I can think of it being is the vigorous physical activity and my body not being used to it. I'm just curious if anyone else here has this problem or is familiar with it and what might be causing it?
Do you get migraines from doing other kinds of exercise? Because they may be caused by the change in pressure from the outside air to the cool, dry air in the rink. My wife gets that kind of migraine.

Also there are stronger migraine meds than excedrin so don't be afraid to talk to your doctor.

Douggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I have the exact same problem, and have had it for over 15 years. I have had a brain MRI and other tests and they have concluded that they are "exercise-induced migraines."

The ONLY thing that works for me are the following -

A) 1 excedrin (works most of the time, sometimes 2 are needed)
B) Sex (no joke)

The problem with excedrin is that it has caffeine, so if you have a late game, be prepared to be up for a while afterward if you take it. The excedrin coupled with the post-game adrenalin wires me for a few hours after the game.
Did they explain to you how that works? I thought exercise was supposed to be good for migraines?

EDIT- Nope, no migraines from anything else. It's only after hockey.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

There's a ton of stuff on the interwebs about it -

http://www.google.com/search?q=exerc...ient=firefox-a

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Skyblaze

You mention that you load up on water *before* you play. I hope you keep drinking some during the game because if you don't, it's the answer to your problem.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Hawker14

perhaps it's a long term side effect of an undiagnosed concussion.

do you get it when you're just skating hard ? or from contact during play ? have you been able to isolate a single event like the two above that causes it ?

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
perhaps it's a long term side effect of an undiagnosed concussion.

do you get it when you're just skating hard ? or from contact during play ? have you been able to isolate a single event like the two above that causes it ?
I get them always after coming home. They don't kick in until about a good hour after I'm done playing, no matter if it was contact hockey or not.

Old
09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
noobman

I get them on occasion, though it's not after every game. I find it has a lot to do with the contrasting hot/cold air.

There are nights when I come home from the rink 100% and ready to enjoy the night (we play Friday/Saturdays), and other nights where all i want is a painkiller and some sleep.

Every now and then i'll get them while running, though it's extremely uncommon.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Have you tried a tinted visor?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Maybe get your head checked out? It's worth a try. I get nasty headaches from nothing, and when I say nasty, I mean do your worst. It'll wake me up if I'm sleeping, make me dizzy, get blurred vision, I've even lost balance. Not only that, but they'll last for a good 24-48 hours and recur at least 1-2 a month. Too bad my Doc has no idea what to tell me, but maybe yours can be diagnosed.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
I get them always after coming home. They don't kick in until about a good hour after I'm done playing, no matter if it was contact hockey or not.

I'm the same way. I've got a quick question, If you play less in one game, or have less shifts is the headache any less? That's the way it is for me. If I play less then normal then the headache isn't as bad.

Mine is the same way, it starts to hurt about an hour after the game. I just kinda lay around for a little bit, and then I eat a lot of food, I mean a lot of food. And I feel a lot better.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I'm the same way. I've got a quick question, If you play less in one game, or have less shifts is the headache any less? That's the way it is for me. If I play less then normal then the headache isn't as bad.

Mine is the same way, it starts to hurt about an hour after the game. I just kinda lay around for a little bit, and then I eat a lot of food, I mean a lot of food. And I feel a lot better.
Yeah, normally the less physical exertion I do, the less chance I have of getting one. I've tried the eating both before and right after playing, but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

As far as I can tell from my own research today, it's due to a combination of the heat/cold of inside/outside the rink, not warming up or cooling down properly before and after the game, or my brain is hemorrhaging. Given that I'm still here posting, I'm going to go with the first two.

Old
09-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Gino 14

Try going to a doctor for help if it's really that big a concern, the web is not the place for these type of problems. There seems to be more here than ice induced migraines.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Johnny Law

I suffered from the same thing for 10 years, because whomever is in charge is a big joker each of us react differently to dehydration and exercise. Essentially try a bunch of stuff and see what works for you.

1. Water - if your pee isn't clear or close to it, drink more. Load up before, after and during.

2. Serotonin - Exercise migraines are thought to be related to serotonin issues - hence why sex or sleeping usually fixes the problem. There is isn't a whole lot you can do for this.

3. Salt/Electrolytes - For me I could drink a swimming pool of water and still get the headaches, the issue was electrolyte balance rather than dehydration. For most people the imbalance would not be of consequence but for some reason i am more sensitive to it. The link

http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2006/1...he-buzz-about/

4. Your brain is totally on the fritz, doubtful but you may want to get it checked. I found doctors to be too quick to want to give you pain meds where as trainers/marathon people gave me a few things to look into.

Good luck.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
If it's not exercise migraines, then there's a slight chance it could be something to do with your eyes. The brightest of the rink, to a darkish home. Eyes don't need to be as dialed to really having to expande to get light and be able to see in the darker enviroment.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 06:16 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

I had this, and it caused me to see bright flashes and such.
Somehow, I switched to a wider fitting helmet and that did the trick. Who knew?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 06:46 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

After my second concussion I had to switch to a tinted visor or else I got constant headaches while playing (I get headaches off the ice as well when I go long periods under bright light without sunglasses)

I'd recommend getting your eyes checked out, then getting a wider fitting helmet (as it could be pinching your temples) and it that doesn't solve your problem go see a doctor.

Trust me, headaches aren't something you want hanging around for a long time, and you don't want these to cause any off-ice problems.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 02:05 PM
MikeD

My youngest dealt with much the same problem a couple seasons ago. His primary Phys. felt it was dehydration. Gator did increase his water intake but in every day activity he was still not drinking much water. Soda was his big problem.

When we took him in for his MRI, the tech who evaluated the images had three pictures of his boys on his desk. Each playing hockey for some college or another. After talking and reviewing the images he told my son to DRINK WATER as part of his daily life. Stop drinking soda and gatorade. OF course this had been my and his primary care doctors advice but what would we know?! lol He has followed this guys advice since and has only rare headaches that arent nearly as severe or for as long a duration as prior to his change of habit.

8 bottles (8oz) every day as a minimum. To track it he has a boondoggle that wraps around the neck of the bottle. 8 beads that he can slide from one end to the other to keep track. For after hockey he will have gatorade half and half(50%water) and 8 oz of water for each pound of weight loss from the hockey session.

Also, at the first hint that a headache is coming he will take advil or whatever. Take something when you think you getting a headache, not when you know you have one.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Keetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
I suffered from the same thing for 10 years, because whomever is in charge is a big joker each of us react differently to dehydration and exercise. Essentially try a bunch of stuff and see what works for you.

1. Water - if your pee isn't clear or close to it, drink more. Load up before, after and during.

2. Serotonin - Exercise migraines are thought to be related to serotonin issues - hence why sex or sleeping usually fixes the problem. There is isn't a whole lot you can do for this.

3. Salt/Electrolytes - For me I could drink a swimming pool of water and still get the headaches, the issue was electrolyte balance rather than dehydration. For most people the imbalance would not be of consequence but for some reason i am more sensitive to it. The link

http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2006/1...he-buzz-about/

4. Your brain is totally on the fritz, doubtful but you may want to get it checked. I found doctors to be too quick to want to give you pain meds where as trainers/marathon people gave me a few things to look into.

Good luck.
Great post and prolly your problem. stay hydrated always! Diet could be part of the problem too. Are you a drinker? take a look at everything you put in your body and when. make sure its good for you and if not its in moderation. Pasta is good foe your carb needs and serotonin needs as well.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
KillerCanuk

I have the same problem somtimes..for me its the cold and dry air, especially if im huffing and puffing thru my nose..the cold and dry air do somthing to my head..causing pain sometimes..try to fucus on ur breathing..less in thru the nose more out..hope it helps...drink lots of water during ur games too

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
KillerCanuk

and sex does work...but i play sooo crappy when i get laid before the game...need the hunger and having sex relaxes the sh it out of me!! haha

KillerCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:19 PM
BadHammy*

I think it's mostly the salt/electrolytes/sugar issue. I have had this same problem in the past and just drinking a lot of juice is the best solution for me.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 12:41 AM
sorrycharlie

Is your helmet/faceshield on too tight? Next time you play, "observe" how your jaw is set. If you're clenching your teeth, especially your back teeth, this could be a reason you get headaches. I tend to grind my teeth while sleeping, and get migraines once in a while. If I wear a night time "bite guard", I don't get them as often. Clenching your back teeth puts a lot of pressure on the jaw muscles and compresses a certain nerve that goes up to the brain. This COULD be a contributing factor.

Other factors that I think have contributed to migraines in the past:
Salty food
Bright lights
Alcohol
Too much chocolate
Sudden change in temperature (such as going from a cold hockey rink into a warm locker room)

sorrycharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
FiveHole23

I think you should go to the doctor instead of trusting a bunch of people on forums who (no offense to anyone here) has any idea what they are talking about.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote