HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What did we learn from Prague?

Old
10-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Unk

vCash: 500
IMO, it was even more refreshing to watch the way they kept Tampa Bay pinned in their own zone for 5-10 minutes. It seemed the best the Lightning could do was get it into the neutral zone and were eventually worn out that Gomez goal.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

That was fun to watch and they seemed a whole lot more prepared than Tampa. But Tampa has so many new guys a new coach, new systems.

Im not sure how Tampa did in their Euro exhibition games. I know they won one in a shootout but I didnt see it.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 11:41 PM
nyrmetros

What I learned...... European fans are light-years ahead of what we are/do at games....

Imagine if MSG was filled every night with 18, 000 fans with the passion and vocals of 200 SC Bern fans ??

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:14 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

The rangers gave up too many odd man breaks on turnovers. Especially in the first period of the first game.

the system does seem to take momentum (at least against tampa) and keep it. The issue is does down low cycling turn into chance on net.

on the assumption that the best defense is to have control of the puck in the other teams zone I will take the cycling without quality chances...

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 07:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Imagine if MSG was filled every night with 18, 000 fans with the passion and vocals of 200 SC Bern fans ??
I like the drums. MSG would never let folks bring big drums into the arena

Old
10-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I like the drums. MSG would never let folks bring big drums into the arena
Why not? If it's a security issue, they can easily be x-rayed, or having drums that only have a drum skin on one side.

If it's about fans complaining the drums would be loud... duh, that's the whole frigging idea! If you don't like loud noise being at a game, stay at home or buy earplugs. It wouldn't be impossible to bring drums to a Garden game if you kept an open and serious dialogue with the franchise and show that you're serious about making the game atmosphere better and not to goof around.

NHL fans need to become more organised. Start a fan club, keep an open dialogue with the franchise how to make the games more exciting, which both sides benefit from.

European hockey can learn from NA hockey and the other way around. How to make some noise at a hockey game is definitely something NA fans can become alot better at. If I would actually live in NY, I would be all for helping out to start up an organised Rangers fan club, to improve the atmosphere at the home games and make the Garden the loudest and best hockey temple in NA.

Quote:
Ottawa blog
... But while we were there, we got our first look at Swedish Elite League hockey and, I must say, it was a spectacle that had many of us talking. Not such much about the play, which isn't exactly NHL quality, but about the atmosphere surrounding it...

... And that's precisely what we left the rink here in Gothenburg talking about Monday night. They had drums beating, they had fans chanting, that had banners waving and you know what ... it was pretty much non-stop. Fun doesn't even begin to describe what we saw throughout this night.
That's what NHL should be like. The goal as a fan should not be to only suck in the hockey atmosphere, but to help creating it.

--
As for the on ice product, I really liked what I saw. I saw a clear team concept with everyone fitting in. No squares that we had to try to fit in through circles. Everyone on Rangers can skate, play responsible, defensive hockey and make things happen. Everyone shows great work ethics and hustles. When Blair frigging Betts has two golden opportunities to score, you know things are going well.

We just can't be a bottom scoring team this season, no way. And I feel we can score alot more goals, while still keeping our GA totals low, with a solid defensive work ethics and Lundqvist in net.

And our PP is lightyears better than I've seen in years. With Jagr gone, the team can finally keep it simple and actually score some PP goals.

I trust this team, more than last year.

Last edited by Chimp: 10-06-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
We learned that Barry Melrose doesn't know how to coach an NHL team......still.

He will be looking for job soon.....

TB will be bottom feeder again....when Mezaros and Mihalik are your go to Dmen.. you are in trouble

Few brilliant moves apart in Game 1 - Vinny and Martin were invisible

and

we need to put up 40 shots to score 2 goals....big bummer

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Jersey Girl

Saying Dawes didn't well play in the two games isn't hate, and it isn't not having patience. It's saying Dawes didn't play well in the two games...that's it. And it's a fact.

Nobody is saying Dawes won't play well the whole year, or he should be traded to Columbus, or banished to a team in Siberia, or even in Dallas. All they're saying is he didn't look very good, and in fact has not played well in the pre-season games I saw, or in Prague.

We all hopes he finds his consistency level as soon as possible, but until then it seems a shame to have a guy like Fritsche sitting out...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I wouldn't say he's been awful. He hasn't been a liability defensively and he had a couple good chances today. He had 3 SOG today after having none yesterday.

Last year he scored a number of big goals for us, including a few shoot out goals. But he was playing mostly with either Gomez or Drury. He hasn't established chemistry yet with Dubi and Zherdev.

Right now the team is playing well collectively. That's really all that matters.
Dawes was the weakest Ranger forward

Old
10-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
what does Nigel Dawes add that Shanahan wouldnt do better?
Skating. As you said.....

Quote:
The team sort of reminds me of Buffalo 06 with the crazy fast transitions.
Regardless of whether or not you think Dawes is the answer, accommodating Shanahan is a departure from the game strategy. If you're going to go out and get someone, you go out and get the right man for the job, otherwise, what's the point?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:41 AM
broadwayblue

It showed that we're going to have to win a lot of 2-1 games this year. So far we've got two.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

I thought Betts deserved more ice as did Voros.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
... accommodating Shanahan is a departure from the game strategy. If you're going to go out and get someone, you go out and get the right man for the job, otherwise, what's the point?
Correct. Shanny was a great player and I enjoyed seeing him play in the Garden, but Shanny is not part of Rangers' new gameplan. He's too slow.

To form a successful team, you pick the players that fits into the chosen system, you do not create a system out of which players you have available. This takes years of planning to accomplish.

With the changes of players in the recent two years, I can actually see a vision that Renney, Sather and the management tries to create. The players that didn't fit in have left and players that might fit in have been taken in.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:16 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
I thought Betts deserved more ice as did Voros.

I would like to see Voros on Dubis line with Zherdev. Let him crash the net and create havoc while those other two set each other up and he can get some garbage goals infront.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Skating. As you said.....

Regardless of whether or not you think Dawes is the answer, accommodating Shanahan is a departure from the game strategy. If you're going to go out and get someone, you go out and get the right man for the job, otherwise, what's the point?

I'm not seeing Dawes being that much of a better skater than Shanny. Hell Shanny has never been a great skater but he proves every season he knows how to score goals. He does float in the less dangerous spots but Dawes does as well. Yea Shanny is 40, whats Nigels excuse?

Old
10-06-2008, 09:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

This was never intended to be a bash Dawes thread. Truth is Prague showed us many positives and few negatives.

Really the only glaring neg is 2 goals on 80 shots.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I would like to see Voros on Dubis line with Zherdev. Let him crash the net and create havoc while those other two set each other up and he can get some garbage goals infront.
This might be worth a try, but not just with this line, might be worth trying with other forwards as well. Maybe even the PP. He becomes a BIG distraction to everyone, including the goal-tender.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:31 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Lol and where does Dawes play? I really would try Voros on the 2nd line, but its a stretch to think he's making the jump. However chemistry is a quirky thing. I could see that line causing the opponent fits.

If Dawes gets demoted to the bottom 6 he may be more valuable as a piece in a trade

Old
10-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I dont think Voros would be ready for a permanent move to the 2nd line. I'm thinking more like using him against certain opponents for certain situations.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I'd like to take a look at any viable option in that spot. While someone like Voros or Sjostrom doesn't really bring the ideal skill set to the line, maybe they do add a dimension to it that a conventional choice doesn't.

That said, I think you've got to give Dawes a little more time to try and get something done on that line. Luckily for him, it doesn't have to be a lot of offense, but it has to be SOME.

Old
10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Levitate

What hell, Voros is not a second liner. He doesn't add a "dimension", he looked invisible out there with Dubinsky and Zherdev in the preseason.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
What hell, Voros is not a second liner. He doesn't add a "dimension", he looked invisible out there with Dubinsky and Zherdev in the preseason.
I disagree. He might not add straight up O skills but hes physical and strong. Its just a thought.

In a perfect world Sather trades Dawes and Prucha for a bona fide upgrade to the 2nd line. Not easy with the cap and prying talent away from other teams.

Old
10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I disagree. He might not add straight up O skills but hes physical and strong. Its just a thought.

In a perfect world Sather trades Dawes and Prucha for a bona fide upgrade to the 2nd line. Not easy with the cap and prying talent away from other teams.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but from what I've seen Voros does not look like a second-liner to me.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
What hell, Voros is not a second liner.
Among the Rangers options, who is? All I'm advocating is trying everything.

Old
10-06-2008, 11:53 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

We learned that we can really move the puck better than last year (at least againt Tampa Bay on a non-NHL rink).

We didn't learn how well we'll do against physical teams.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote