HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks acquire Shane O'Brien and Michel Ouellet

Old
10-06-2008, 03:43 PM
JonnyCash

vCash: 500
Why did they wait until the end of preseaosn to do this? Giving Krajicek one last shot?

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
black ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMan View Post
Edler took over last year over Krajicek. Edler has more upside on the team than he did. So O'Brien would be the perfect 5-6 defense on this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Davison was brought in to be the #7, and still very much has a job.

All that's happened is that O'Brien has replaced Krajicek as our #6 defender.
I agree O'Brien becomes #6, Davison continues to fight with Nycholat as #7/8.

The post I was responding to said he was a "perfect #5/#6. So I wondered who out of the 5 I mentioned the poster thought O'brien also passed on the depth chart to become anything other than a good #6-#7 guy.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:47 PM
FruityPants3*

I think this trade looks even now, but I think Krajicek will make this trade look very uneven by the end of the season.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
IceMelter

Send a message via AIM to IceMelter Send a message via MSN to IceMelter
Comments from O'Brien.
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...-i-saw-it.html

Quote:
"I just didn't feel things were going in the right direction here," 'Brien said. "They brought in some new people. I could see it coming. I'm not stupid."
Quote:
"That is exciting that I'm going to a pretty good team," O'Brien said. "Once I get there and get to know some of the guys, it will be an easier transition."

IceMelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
I think this trade looks even now, but I think Krajicek will make this trade look very uneven by the end of the season.
If thats the case I bet it will have to do more with icetime each player will get.

They both have very different roles.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I disagree. All those players have a decent (but not great) first pass. Perhaps Ohlund joins the rush once in a while, but they don't jump up in the play all that often. I suppose that it's a fair argument to say that neither did Krajicek, but when he did, he looked pretty good.
I don't have time to catch up with the entire thread, so I'll just grab this post. A lot of people seem to be upset over this, Krajicek is our only skating/puck moving dman, so why did we trade him for a gritty defensive dman? I'm having a hard time getting this, sure it's an element we lack on our defense, but if the only guy with a puck moving good skating skillset we have is our #6, then sorry we missed the boat on having that sort of defense. It's not like Krajicek would get even 20 minutes a game, nor would he be used in key situations where we want offense or defense. If we had better guys like that on our 1st and 2nd pairing I could understand, but since we don't I can't see what the big deal is.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I don't understand this move because I always thought Krajieck was a rock when he was healthy and reminded me of a young Salo (without the cannon) and in his time here I really went from being skeptical about Krajieck to really enjoying his quiet efficient play. I also think he could handle a top four minutes now if a team needed that from him.

With that said I'm excited for O'Brien. Anytime you can add a young player with a reputation for grit who can handle regular NHL minutes, OneDay is a happy guy. I don't know a lot about him and have seen maybe a handful of games of his. In my mind I equate him as a Andy Sutton type player which isn't a bad thing.

Also Gillis's moves have been excellent so far. So I'm willing to give this deal the benefit of the doubt for a few months.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
MS

Quote:
It wouldn't totally shock me if he breaks out a bit there with more icetime on a thin blueline.

But I don't think he was going to here. We've seen no progress from him at all from the opening of the 06-07 season until now.

If O'Brien can play 17-18 minutes of solid, consistent defensive hockey for us and put up 15 points or so and add a lot of toughness and sandpaper on our blueline, then we 'win' this trade relative to what we would have been, regardless of whether Krajicek goes and scores 40 points in TB or something.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
IceMelter

Send a message via AIM to IceMelter Send a message via MSN to IceMelter
More O'brien comments.
http://www.northumberlandnews.com/no...article/109867

Quote:
Its a little bit of a shock, OBrien on Monday. I heard some rumors while we were in Europe, but you dont really read too much into that.
Quote:
Im excited to play in Canada. Vancouver is a great city. I played there a few times when I was in Anaheim, he said. I talked to the general manager (Mike Gillis) quickly. He told me theyre excited to have me. Theyve been trying to get me for a while.
Quote:
I dont know if (being traded) is ever easy. Im going to a new team where I dont know anyone. (But) its not hard to get along with hockey guys. Were all the same.
Quote:
You cant beat Canadian fans, and Vancouver has some of the best. Theyre sold out every game. Ill definitely have to play good every game. If I dont Im sure Ill hear about it.

Im sad to leave, but Im happy to move on.

IceMelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Ernie

Quote:
If that's the case, it'll just be due to perceptions.

If Krajicek steps into top 3 ice time in Tampa Bay, he'll probably score around 30 points. But he wasn't going to do that on the Canucks - too many guys in front of him. He was a poor fit for the team, given the defensive needs here.

Which player has more value? All I know is that on the open market, Krajicek hasn't been worth anything near a 1st rounder since the day he was drafted. If he'd have been brought in for a first rounder like O'Brien was, or had have been drafted by the Canucks in the first round, he'd probably be a strong nominee for Most Hated Canuck at the moment.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:00 PM
MS

Quote:
I dont know if (being traded) is ever easy. Im going to a new team where I dont know anyone. (But) its not hard to get along with hockey guys. Were all the same.
Actually, it's kinda funny that the one guy he would have known here was Nathan McIver, who was his defensive partner for St. Mike's in the OHL for a season.

Old
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Ernie

O'Brien:
Quote:

Krajicek:
Quote:
"They (management) told me that Tampa wanted me for quite some time," Krajicek told CKNW in Vancouver. "They said I would play more minutes there and in every way it should better for me."

Gillis should probably avoid using that line too many times. If both GM's wanted the other player for so long, how come a trade only happened now?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post
I don't understand this move because I always thought Krajieck was a rock when he was healthy and reminded me of a young Salo (without the cannon)
Sorry, but Krajicek's play doesn't resemble Salo's in the least.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Hyack57

Lukas Krajicek
2005-06 Florida Panthers NHL 67 2 14 16 50
2006-07 Vancouver Canucks NHL 78 3 13 16 64
2007-08 Vancouver Canucks NHL 39 2 9 11 36

Shane O'Brien
2006-07 Anaheim / Tampa Bay NHL 80 2 14 16 176
2007-08 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 77 4 17 21 154

Obrien puts up the same amount of points with similar ice time PL\US brings a physical presence. Krajicek could skate but was easily knocked off the puck and did not have any presence in his own end. He has average passing skills - he is not even close to being Meszeros lite. IF Krajicek had decent passing abilities he'd have seen way more pp time and would have more assists in any season.

Obrien already has more goals than Krajicek in any season and assists..

I love this deal. Krajicek is an ineffective offensive defenceman. Obrien is an effective physical defenceman who can also chip in the odd goal and assist. Awesome move.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
If Krajicek steps into top 3 ice time in Tampa Bay, he'll probably score around 30 points. But he wasn't going to do that on the Canucks - too many guys in front of him. He was a poor fit for the team, given the defensive needs here.
Honestly, even 30 points out of Krajicek would really surprise me. I've never seen a guy with such an offensive skillset who just refuses to play an offensive game. He doesn't seem to even like to rush the puck. He's quick, has a good first pass, and is relatively dependable in his own end, but that's about it.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post
I don't understand this move because I always thought Krajieck was a rock when he was healthy and reminded me of a young Salo (without the cannon) and in his time here I really went from being skeptical about Krajieck to really enjoying his quiet efficient play. I also think he could handle a top four minutes now if a team needed that from him.

With that said I'm excited for O'Brien. Anytime you can add a young player with a reputation for grit who can handle regular NHL minutes, OneDay is a happy guy. I don't know a lot about him and have seen maybe a handful of games of his. In my mind I equate him as a Andy Sutton type player which isn't a bad thing.

Also Gillis's moves have been excellent so far. So I'm willing to give this deal the benefit of the doubt for a few months.
I agree with you. I think that Krajicek came into his own last season, although it was cut short by his injuries last year, and never performed quite as well after that. If this pre-season is any precursor, I think he'll play very well this season. Krajicek really is quite solid on defense, albeit not too flashy. Neither is Lidstrom...

What I'm worried about is his penchant for taking many minor penalties. He had six fights last year, accounting for 30 of his 154 minutes of penalties. If he's going to take as many penalties as he did last year with Tampa, he's going to be a scapegoat pretty quickly.

All in all, I think that Tampa did pretty well with this trade.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Why did they wait until the end of preseaosn to do this? Giving Krajicek one last shot?
Maybe the deal wasn't available until now? Remember, Tampa has played two regular season games already, both losses against the Rangers. Maybe there was pressure on Tampa's end to do something to shake things up a bit and Gillis took that opportunity.

Remember, there's another team involved in every deal. It's not just ours.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
If both GM's wanted the other player for so long, how come a trade only happened now?
Plenty of reasons. Cap space , potential other pick-ups, additional details to work out...

Cant just trade on a whim.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I don't know what I think of this move. I'll have a better opinion when I see O'Brien actually play but losing Lucas doesn't sit too well with me right now. Before he was injured last year he was our best defenceman for the first month and a half. Having him as a depth guy in case of injury would have been a real luxury. Lucas is also far better than Nycholat. Lucas could handle playing top 4 minutes in case of injury, Nycholat would get eaten alive in that position. I wasn't impressed with him in the pre-season at all, especially in his own end.

Also, I really don't get how some of you think this is a precursor to a Bieksa move. If anything this assures that he's not going anywhere.

Let's hope we stay healthy this year because our depth just took a good hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gillis We Trust View Post
You say you haven't seen O'Brien play and you will make an assessment of the deal when you have, but then say our depth at D just took a good hit? Questionable wording....

Seriously, to those who have not seen O'Brien play and are making negative assumptions about him, if you enjoy tough hockey played the right way, you will love what O'Brien brings to the table. His hockey skills aren't bad by any means either.
I didn't make any negative assumptions about O'Brien (I have seen him play, just not enough to really know how he'll fit or to be a great authority on his play) but I think our depth took a hit because we now have essentially replaced Lucas, a good skating puck moving defenceman with Nycholat. From what I know about O'Brien he isn't this type of player, so while we did get another body back, (and I'm sure he's a good canadian, tough as nails, blah blah blah) I feel we lost some depth. Lucas is more than capable at filling in on the top 4 in an offensive role if there were any injuries.

I thought it was a fair point.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Red

Can't say I'm a fan of this as I prefer Krajicek over O'Brien but ultimately, I don't think having one over the other will make any difference.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

It sounds to me like a lot of people are really unfamiliar with Shane O'Brien.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I didn't make any negative assumptions about O'Brien (I have seen him play, just not enough to really know how he'll fit or to be a great authority on his play) but I think our depth took a hit because we now have essentially replaced Lucas, a good skating puck moving defenceman with Nycholat. From what I know about O'Brien he isn't this type of player, so while we did get another body back, (and I'm sure he's a good canadian, tough as nails, blah blah blah) I feel we lost some depth. Lucas is more than capable at filling in on the top 4 in an offensive role if there were any injuries.

I thought it was a fair point.
Ok fair enough. When you said you hadn't seen O'Brien play, I assumed that you hadn't seen him play - my bad

Any one of our top 5 could fill the 'top 4' role and log top 4 minutes.

Demitra has played the point on the PP lots in his career. If and when an injury occurs to one of our PP D-men, I'd be more than happy to have Demitra on the point as opposed to Krajicek.

Also, we didn't replace Krajicek with Nycholet, we replaced him with O'Brien. Davison will be #7 and Nycholet will be #8. It will more than likely take 2 injuries to our D for Nycholet to get in the line-up.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:20 PM
cc

Krajicek lost his confidence offensively, but has also been quietly improving his defensive play. I was hoping that with the Canucks promising to play a more entertaining brand of hockey, Krajicek would have more of a chance of breaking out offensively.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gillis We Trust View Post
Ok fair enough. When you said you hadn't seen O'Brien play, I assumed that you hadn't seen him play - my bad

Any one of our top 5 could fill the 'top 4' role and log top 4 minutes.

Demitra has played the point on the PP lots in his career. If and when an injury occurs to one of our PP D-men, I'd be more than happy to have Demitra on the point as opposed to Krajicek.
Nycholat has been a big point-producer in the minors and will see a lot of PP time when he's dressed if we keep him on the roster. I'd actually say he has a lot more prototypical point-man skills than Krajicek does - better offensive instincts and a much better shot.

Old
10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
1025*

I love this move.

our PK will be even more suffocating.

more block shots = less shots towards Luongo = less goals against.

face it. Lukas needed top 4 + pp minutes to develop, we don't have room in those minutes for him.

and this goes again with Gillis's theory, mismanaged assets by other team = our gold.

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote