HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let the fire sale begin!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Tanko

vCash: 500
Let the fire sale begin!!!!

Stick a fork in us everyone must go.Keep RSmyth and Staios and anyone under 25 and sell the farm we are going no where with this group of mediocrity.Time to face facts

Old
02-26-2004, 09:53 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
Stick a fork in us everyone must go.Keep RSmyth and Staios and anyone under 25 and sell the farm we are going no where with this group of mediocrity.Time to face facts
So you want to get rid of York and Dvo too?

Old
02-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Tanko

No keep them too.Heat of the moment you get my point though.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
What exactly is gained by this? Sell the farm just to pick up more draft picks and start all over again? Ruin the team by taking on more skilled guys costing the Oiers more, so they have one of the brightest futures if the CBA does favor small market teams?

Old
02-26-2004, 12:05 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I think one person is all we need to get this team back on track...and that is a legitimate 1st line center. Only he can bring balance back to the force. We don't need some huge firesale or change all our players, we just need someone to step up and claim a spot on the top line and everything will be back to normal, and we won't be having a Smyth - Horcoff - Pisani line as our top line anymore.

Smyth _____ Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Stoll Pisani
Isbister Oates Laraque

Doesn't that look much better than we have now?

If we can get a good, somewhat young center (like Lecavalier, Marleau, Gomez, Rolston, Bonk), I'd be willing to give up some of our future. Our future is so bright I think we can now afford to send some of them away in order for us to remain competitive for the next two to three years.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
What exactly is gained by this? Sell the farm just to pick up more draft picks and start all over again? Ruin the team by taking on more skilled guys costing the Oiers more, so they have one of the brightest futures if the CBA does favor small market teams?

Ruin what team every year we scrape to make the playoffs and get eliminated let's get young and grow together and compete for the cup.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Ruin what team every year we scrape to make the playoffs and get eliminated let's get young and grow together and compete for the cup.
Get young? If the Oilers get any younger they'll have players that can't tie their own shoe laces. The team needs change, but not a massive overhaul of around 10 players.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:42 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Get young? If the Oilers get any younger they'll have players that can't tie their own shoe laces. The team needs change, but not a massive overhaul of around 10 players.
Ding ding, we have a winner. The oilers have the roots of a wicked team
Stoll, Torres, Hemsky, JDD, Reasoner, Semenov, York, Brewer

Teams would kill for any one of these guys, and we have the chance to slap some talent around them in the near future and become a real winner. I hate to say it, but look what the Canucks did, and with much less than with what we have here.

I'm with Oiltalk, and if one more person screams firesale after another loss i'm going to pull my hair out in frustration.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
Ding ding, we have a winner. The oilers have the roots of a wicked team
Stoll, Torres, Hemsky, JDD, Reasoner, Semenov, York, Brewer

Teams would kill for any one of these guys, and we have the chance to slap some talent around them in the near future and become a real winner. I hate to say it, but look what the Canucks did, and with much less than with what we have here.

I'm with Oiltalk, and if one more person screams firesale after another loss i'm going to pull my hair out in frustration.
Aren't the Oilers 3rd in prospects according to Hockey's Future. The Oilers are young enough. I'm with you guys. The term "Firesale" should be reserved for teams like the NY Rangers or Washington Crapitals.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Tanko

OK then lets continue to wallow in mediocrity.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Tanko

And by the way guys pass me a set of those rose coloured glasses you are all wearing so I too can be in denial of the fact we are going nowhere.

Old
02-26-2004, 01:14 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
And by the way guys pass me a set of those rose coloured glasses you are all wearing so I too can be in denial of the fact we are going nowhere.
So what would you do then? Have Lowe sign all those impact players that are coming out of the woodwork around the league using the magic technique of _______, and then trade for a superstar or two at their respective positions using our vast expendable assets?

Old
02-26-2004, 01:16 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree to an extent that we need to keep the leadership, but I worry that our future holds a team of 3 second liners, and 9 third-fourth liners. This team will be decent, but IMO will not be going anywhere but maybe the first round - or a lucky run.

I don't think that a fire sale is in order, but I do think that a trade deadline... particularly the one before the new CBA, when older teams like Philly and Toronto are feeling heat to win, is a great time to try to go and get the players we need for the future. If nothing comes before the deadline, then I think another real opportunity will be draft day. Hopefully we have what it takes to trade up to the Columbus/similar pick, and get a Malkin type player.

Last edited by oil slick: 02-26-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old
02-26-2004, 01:25 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
OK then lets continue to wallow in mediocrity.
what mediocrity? do you seriously expect a bunch of 23 year olds to lead you to a cup? As they gain experience in the future, they will make us a helluva team. I am sick and tired of seeing our future stars being dealt. In the past this was because of money, but it seems now that we can keep them, and you're so impatient that you want to trade them away, and for what? all we will be able to get back for them at this stage of the game will be mediocrity at best.

I sure do hope fan impatience is what leads us to dump young stars in the post 04 era, because i seriously thing we can become canada's fourth cup contender in the near future with the addition of some other talent through draft or trading expendable players (ie: smith/smyth/etc) so we end up with a team that matures at the same time and then can seriously compete, instead of this team, which has some people at their peak, but most will find their game in 2 years simply because of their age

Old
02-26-2004, 01:29 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant

i seriously thing we can become canada's fourth cup contender in the near future with the addition of some other talent through draft or trading expendable players (ie: smith/smyth/etc)
but isn't this what everyone is talking about? Trading a few of Smith, Staois, Cross, Oates, maybe Smyth, maybe Moreau, maybe Laraque (but only a few of them)?

Old
02-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
So what would you do then? Have Lowe sign all those impact players that are coming out of the woodwork around the league using the magic technique of _______, and then trade for a superstar or two at their respective positions using our vast expendable assets?
I don't know what to do but we are'nt headed on the right path in my opinion.We have some kind of odd mix of experience and youth and we are'nt very good.I'm just saying change our path, mix it up do something if we don't ,and if there is a season next year it's going to be the same damn thing again and NO ONE can argue that.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:07 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Let me explain something to you. If we keep trading away players before the team has chance to get older and better we will be in a constant state of mediocrity and will never become good enough to achieve anything Rebuilding/fire sales only happen to OLD teams.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Let me explain something to you. If we keep trading away players before the team has chance to get older and better we will be in a constant state of mediocrity and will never become good enough to achieve anything Rebuilding/fire sales only happen to OLD teams.

Boy thanks for the explanation I feel so enlightened.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:16 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
A good example...the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:19 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Boy thanks for the explanation I feel so enlightened.
That's it? That's your counter argument?

Old
02-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Tanko

Quote:
That's it? That's your counter argument?

My point is the first post on page 2.Do you really think we'll be any better next year?

Old
02-26-2004, 02:25 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
My point is the first post on page 2.Do you really think we'll be any better next year?
obviously there are a couple of holes in the lineup that need to be fixed... but that doesn't require full-sale changes.

And I do see this team being better next season.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
obviously there are a couple of holes in the lineup that need to be fixed... but that doesn't require full-sale changes.

And I do see this team being better next season.

How much better though ??Stanley cup contender??NO way.So lets look down the road and get better somehow for 2,3 years down the road.I want the Oiler's to win the cup and we are not headed there.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:30 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Your point isn't very good. We are not an odd mix of experience/youth. We are a YOUNG team. The only old players are Cross, Ulanov, and Oates, who have next to NO trade value. As for veterans like Smyth and Smith, MAYBE we should trade one of them, but a firesale!?! You realize young players need veterans to learn from right? Look at how Oates has improved the play of Horcoff and Stoll, especially in the faceoff circle. We have a SMALL number of valuable experienced players, and we need them to train our youth.

Old
02-26-2004, 02:34 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
How much better though ??Stanley cup contender??NO way.So lets look down the road and get better somehow for 2,3 years down the road.I want the Oiler's to win the cup and we are not headed there.
How can you be so sure?

We have no idea how much better guys like York, Dvorak, Smyth and our other vets will be, and we also have no idea how guys like Torres, Brewer, Hemsky, Lynch are going to be 3 years from now either.

You really do need a solid core of veterans to go with your young players. In 3 years, most of this team will still be relatively young, and if you start ditching everyone, there isn't going to be that veteran presence anymore.

Closed Thread