HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What're the ducks going to do?!?

Old
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
OOO no offense, dude... but this is coming from a Duck's fan. Selane, Pronger, the Neidermayers and Marchant aren't going to look any younger this year. Unless Pronger grows a brain and Neidermayer plays like he did a few years ago or Giggy leads the league in sav %, this team is out in the first round. You never know. Things could go wrong and they could miss the playoffs.

The Hawks, Oilers Coyotes and Flames are looking better. Ducks are looking much much worse. Less depth on the blue-line. Bredan Morrison playing 2nd line center. Hah nuff said.
I think you sorely underestimate the potential for this team though. Look at Perry he scored 30 goals and got injured for 25 games or so, he's good for 40+ and he was great in the playoffs. Getzlav is gonna be awesome this year, look for him to get 90+points. Morrisson is a great #2 centerman if he can stay healthy, and there has never been a knock against the Ducks' blueline and with a full summer of rest for everyone, and a full training camp for everyone they will be much better. Selanne locked up for 2 years is a good sign for them also, they just need to make room for Bobby Ryan so they can see what he can do. All in all, they have a very solid offensive team with one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL (pahlson, nidermayer, moen) so come on I'm pretty sure they have enough depth to make another shot at Lord Stanley.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
The Hawks, Oilers Coyotes and Flames are looking better. Ducks are looking much much worse. Less depth on the blue-line. Bredan Morrison playing 2nd line center. Hah nuff said.
You'll be happy with Morrison on the 2nd line. If he's healthy he's good for 50+ pts, and is wonderful on the pk.

All four of those teams have question marks, just like the Ducks. I think the Ducks are still a strong team, but no longer a 'lock' to succeed as Detroit/SJ are. That being said, I think you give those other teams too much credit. I'd slot the Ducks anywhere from 4th to 7th, but definitely in the playoffs.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
OOO no offense, dude... but this is coming from a Duck's fan. Selane, Pronger, the Neidermayers and Marchant aren't going to look any younger this year. Unless Pronger grows a brain and Neidermayer plays like he did a few years ago or Giggy leads the league in sav %, this team is out in the first round. You never know. Things could go wrong and they could miss the playoffs.

There is nothing of substance in any of your posts in this thread. Your suggestions manage to be oblivious, asinine, and borderline offensive to the intelligence of the Ducks management.

There's also no reason to think Niedermayer, Selanne and Pronger won't have good seasons, and Giguere has been at/near the top in save percentage the past two seasons. (And maybe you missed it, but Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are pretty good, too.) But you're right, we're a stone's throw away from the basement and should pack it all in now while we can still get draft picks.

We won't be selling our team for draft picks in February, it's pretty simple.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:

Is it just me, or is "nuff said" the best indicator of a poor post?

I'm not sure where to start with this post, other than to suggest that most "Duck's fans" know how to spell the names of the two best players to suit up in the team's uniform. Not to get all spelling-nazi (I'm worse than most), but it does call into question how closely you follow the team.

Pronger needs to grow a brain... I'm not sure what the suggestion is here. He needs to play better than he did last season, sure. However, his brain wasn't what let him down last season, nor has it ever been a particular strength of his. Energy and focus will go a long way here, both of which he should have more of.

Actually, Selanne does "look younger"...he appears to be in the best shape of his career. He's flying. I know what you meant, though. That he's due for a slide. Perhaps, but he's shown no signs of it.

Niedermayer was alright last season. Not his best, but pretty good. Any improvement will be a boon to the club.

Marchant...not sure exactly how he factors into your argument. He's a role player, and fills the role just fine.

A healthy Morrison is a solid 2nd-line center, and appears to mesh very well with Selanne.

Less depth on D...replacing OD with Klee is a small step down, but adding Montador is a step up. Depth is no more an issue now than it was when they won the Cup.

Things could go very wrong, and they could miss the playoffs. You could say the exact same thing for every other team in the league, since you don't define "go wrong".

You haven't suggested one reason with any substance that the Ducks are looking "much worse". You don't touch on expected improvements from Getzlaf or Perry.

You're right, you never know what could happen. The Ducks could hit the skids, have a few injuries, and be in a battle for the last playoff spot. They could also find the traction they never found last season, and make another hard push for the Cup. Its tough to find a basis for the idea that they are "much worse" than last year, or the year before that. Unless, of course, you're predicting the worst-case-scenario and suggesting the Ducks act as if its a certainty. That's not how you win Cups nor maintain a solid organization.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
There is nothing of substance in any of your posts in this thread. Your suggestions manage to be oblivious, asinine, and borderline offensive to the intelligence of the Ducks management.

There's also no reason to think Niedermayer, Selanne and Pronger won't have good seasons, and Giguere has been at/near the top in save percentage the past two seasons. (And maybe you missed it, but Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf are pretty good, too.) But you're right, we're a stone's throw away from the basement and should pack it all in now while we can still get draft picks.

Exactly.

Thadd is posting assuming every worse case scenario rather than using the most recent results to base a reasonable assumption on this season's results. He's using zero factual evidence of team decline other than the team losing in the first round of the playoffs to a really good team, ignoring the 102 point season that proceeded it.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Flinch*

For the bashing I give Burke, he really isn't in all that bad of a situation going into next offseason.

He's got most of his key players locked up already and there are no pressing players he needs to focus on, outside of Pahlsson and Niedermayer.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

What are the Ducks going to do? They're going to win a lot of hockey games this year, I'll wager.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Joe Canada

The other problem with all of the "math" here is that the Ducks would be giving up 10 active roster players in exchange for 1, and possibly a few prospects who could step in. Even if they're somewhat out of it, it seems foolish for the future to then expect 6-10 prospects to be called up to the bigs and play at an NHL level until the end of the season.

That's why firesales are usually held in the offseason (see: Florida Marlins), or only for big name players- teams can't actually fill all of the necessary roster spots overnight if they trade half the team. It doesn't make sense for the team, the players involved, nor does it send a good message to the fans. Besides the aforementioned Marlins, it's pretty rare to see a team that's expecting to compete for a championship suddenly decide to give up and raffle off most of their active roster before the season's even started.

Hell, maybe we should throw Pronger, Giguere, Perry and Getz out there, I'm sure they could get us a few more draft picks, and that's what we want, right? Not like we'll need them anyway seeing as how we won't be competing after the rest are gone.

Old
10-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
Explain yourself.

gotcrowdy.com
Crowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:

Selanne will be a PPG player. Pronger is 33 years old. Niedermayer is 34. Marchant plays on the fourth line. Morrison will compliment Selanne and Kunitz well, just like McDonald did.

Now lets take into account that Getzlaf and Perry will be better this year, Bobby Ryan will eventually take Bertuzzi's place, and the Ducks have Selanne and Niedermayer for the entire season.

Old
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Varius

If Burke leaves and I'm a new GM taking over, I greatly appreciate what Burke is leaving me with. A team with great young core players signed, at least one all-star calibre player at forward, defense and in net and the room to fill out the team according to the style I want. Not to mention no bad contracts, heading into a possible new CBA.

Why would you think Burke is screwing thew new GM, he's practically giving him an ideal situation to inherit.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
If Burke leaves and I'm a new GM taking over, I greatly appreciate what Burke is leaving me with. A team with great young core players signed, at least one all-star calibre player at forward, defense and in net and the room to fill out the team according to the style I want. Not to mention no bad contracts, heading into a possible new CBA.

Why would you think Burke is screwing thew new GM, he's practically giving him an ideal situation to inherit.
Spot on.

Old
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post

gotta agree...plus, if Nonis is going to take over(which many of us speculate) he can talk with him during the season to see about re-signing certain players who can be key to the team's success next season and moving forward. (IE - Pahlsson, Beauch, Huskins.) The team will be fine, we have a plethora of 3rd/4th liners that can easily be resigned. The real question will be keeping the D strong and either someone(carter) stepping up to play with Kunitz/Selanne on the 2nd line, or acquiring a 2nd line center.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Diggy

Quote:
What're the ducks going to do?!?

The Ducks have 13 UFA's in the next off seasons... as of right now 8 Ducks have contracts that go into the 09/10 season.

Can Burke get in trouble for setting his team up to be screwed if he bolts for another team after this season?
Many teams have had lots of RFAs and UFAs after a season in the past. All it means is that they have a lot of work to do to sign players between now and the 09/10 season to get players signed. /shrug

It is not that big of a deal and it is not like the sky if falling. The Ducks have a solid core signed for next season and will fill in the rest.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 07:31 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
I think you sorely underestimate the potential for this team though. Look at Perry he scored 30 goals and got injured for 25 games or so, he's good for 40+ and he was great in the playoffs. Getzlav is gonna be awesome this year, look for him to get 90+points. Morrisson is a great #2 centerman if he can stay healthy, and there has never been a knock against the Ducks' blueline and with a full summer of rest for everyone, and a full training camp for everyone they will be much better. Selanne locked up for 2 years is a good sign for them also, they just need to make room for Bobby Ryan so they can see what he can do. All in all, they have a very solid offensive team with one of the best shutdown lines in the NHL (pahlson, nidermayer, moen) so come on I'm pretty sure they have enough depth to make another shot at Lord Stanley.
Morrison looked great when the Cannucks played a faster more open style of hockey. The Ducks don't do that. What reason do we have to believe that he'll score more with the Ducks? None whatsoever.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 07:36 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post

Just listen to you guys. I of course I mock the capabilities of Ducks' management. What has Burke done other than get rid of Federov?

What did he do in Vancouver other than draft the Sedins?

What's he going to do next year? Leave the Ducks in a tough situation.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Just listen to you guys. I of course I mock the capabilities of Ducks' management. What has Burke done other than get rid of Federov?

Wow, it's like you pay attention to the NHL 1 or 2 days a year. Amazing how little actual substance you can put behind your arguments.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
This statement proves that you really aren't a Ducks fan...

And how is he leaving the Ducks in a "tough situation"? The team's starting goalie, top defenseman, and 1st line are all signed through at least 09/10. The majority of the rest is just depth/role players. Oh no, where is the next Ducks GM supposed to find those rare commodities?!?!

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:

Let me address these individually so you can understand:

1) We don't need to cover Burke's track record.. again. He turned a team that missed the playoffs before the lockout into one that has won six series, a Stanley Cup and not missed the playoffs since. He got rid of dead weight like Federov, Sykora, Rucchin, Vishnevski, Havelid, et al- and as hard as some people try not to give him credit for the following, he still brought in guys like Niedermayer, Pronger, Beauchemin, O'Donnell, Selanne, and Kunitz. Bryan Murray's fingerprints may be on the team in the form of Getzlaf and Perry, but if you go down the list of our Cup winning roster, a bunch of the players were acquired or re-acquired by Burke at one point before the Cup run.

2) That's a shame, but we're talking about Anaheim, not Vancouver.

3) I'm not worried if this tough situation you're referring to is having Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, Kunitz, Carter, Pronger and Giguere/Hiller locked up for at least the 2009-10 season. You're very quick to slam the acquisitions and moves Burke has made, but quick to predict doomsday when said players' contracts are slated to expire after this season.

Basically, you know nothing about this, and it's pretty obvious. I'm not too sure what type of hockey information is readily available to you in China, so I suggest using this thread as a launching pad for your learning.

Old
10-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Morrison looked great when the Cannucks played a faster more open style of hockey. The Ducks don't do that. What reason do we have to believe that he'll score more with the Ducks? None whatsoever.
Andy McDonald seemed to score just fine on a Ducks team that played the same style as they do now with the exact same line mates. The team doesn't play a faster open style because they don't have the speed to play that style! They have big body skilled guys such as Perry/Getzlaf to work on the boards. But when AMac was here with an equally fast Kunitz and a faster Selanne, they worked basically in transition, as we expect morrison to do.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

All the best players signed and a pantload of cap space? Onoz!!

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Boom Roasted

Burke is so brilliant he has Henry Samueli locked up.

Who cares about Mickey mouse franchise. Laughing stock of NHL

Boom Roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho Siete View Post
Who cares about Mickey mouse franchise. Laughing stock of NHL
Here I thought the political board had the monopoly on baseless hyperbole. Support yourself, even just a bit. Please...

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
Here I thought the political board had the monopoly on baseless hyperbole. Support yourself, even just a bit. Please...
He's a troll, he doesn't need to.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:38 AM
MOENing

Quote:
The Ducks have 13 UFA's in the next off seasons... as of right now 8 Ducks have contracts that go into the 09/10 season.

Can Burke get in trouble for setting his team up to be screwed if he bolts for another team after this season?
Well next we have a ton of cap space? Gaborik and Hossa perhaps. If Burke Leaves fine. Murray has done a fine job doing all the things burke doesn't want to do.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote