HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Leg Exersice

Old
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Ani simov mal

vCash: 500
Leg Exersice

So I recently started playing hockey, Iím 13 . My coach and my dad say I need to get a lot faster and work on my legs. I have been doing squats for like one and a half weeks. About 30 a day, yeah I know not a lot. What other exercise are helpful for the thighs or Calves. Thanks.

BTW, I play defense.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Ani simov mal

Spelled Exercise Wrong

Old
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang3rsfan30 View Post
So I recently started playing hockey, I’m 13 . My coach and my dad say I need to get a lot faster and work on my legs. I have been doing squats for like one and a half weeks. About 30 a day, yeah I know not a lot. What other exercise are helpful for the thighs or Calves. Thanks.

BTW, I play defense.
Here you go!

I recommend some isometric leg work...

Drill#1: (Basic position for each drill)
Place your feet, one foot apart and then get into the sitting position with your bottom touching the back of your heels. What it going to look like is a down hill skier, but in the sitting position. Make sure that your knees are apart and your hand together with your arms in between your knees. This is called the set position!

Now, for Drill #1: You want to jump forward about three feet and land back into the set position. Do this about 15 to 20 feet.

Drill #2: Same thing...but backwards.

Drill #3: Set position. Three Jumps forward, turn clock wise in the air to backwards and back down in the set position. Three jumps backwards, turn clock wise in the air to forward, back down in the set position. 15 to 20 down the runway.

Drill #4: Same as 3, but single it up! One foreward, one backwards, all the way down to the 20 ft mark.

Drill #5: Set position on the right side of you 20 ft runway. Jump with both feet, 1 ft. foward and to the left by three ft. back down into the set position. Then, jump back to the right, 1 ft. forward and to the right by 3 ft, all the way down the 20 ft runway. So what you are looking like is just jumping from side to side down the runway. Oh by the way. Remembers to land in the set position each time...don't cheat!

Drill #6: Same as drill #5, but backwards!

Drill #7: Same as drill #5, but with one leg to the left and one leg to the right. I call this the "Russian Step" but with no russian box. Just side to side down the runway. Ah but there's a catch, when you jump from side to side, you have to sit down on that back leg and don't let it touch the ground. Oh, and watch your balance. Don't use your hand for balance!

Drill #8: Yep, you are right! Same as drill #7 but backward!

Drill #9: Set position, jump forward by a couple of feet, 360 in the air, land back in the set position.

Drill # 10: Set position. Standing up! Then, down into the sitting position and back up halfway, hold for one second and back down into the sitting position. Do 10 reps of 5 sets to start off with and them increase a set each week to 10 sets.
Yep, you are right, there's a catch again! When you are standing up, place your tennis shoes on their side. Like you are skating on the out side edge on both skates. make sure that your tennis shoes stay like that when you go down into the sitted position.

Do this once a week for the first week. After you recover, then do routine again. After each time you do this your legs will get stronger. Then you can do it twice a week.

Now, here is where I tell my whining students to suck it up! When you do these drills you are going to run into a mental brick wall. This is the point in which you will NOT want to do these drills because you will think that they are stupid! You will call them everything in the book so you will not have to do them.

But here's what I have to say to that....

The difference between an amateur and a pro is that the amateur says...I can't do it, and the pro says, now far do you want me to jump.

If you do these simple drills, I will promiss you will be faster and have better balance on the ice.

Oh, by the way. This is part of my Euro Hockey class that I put on each week at my rink and I have a bunch of 6 year olds doing these dry land training drills. If they can do it...you can too!

Good luck!
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 10-07-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: interval times
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Ani simov mal

Thanks. But why only twice a week?

Old
10-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Airborne Troll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang3rsfan30 View Post
Thanks. But why only twice a week?
Your muscles need to recover

If you give them time to recover and you eat healthy, they will become stronger and you will skate faster

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
The stuff that I posted here need to really be done in phases. Start off the first week doing it just once a week. If you do this routine the first week, for the next 5 days you will be in pain. Once you have recovered, then you can start again.

Now, normally after the third day or so, of rest, you can start again. Then do the routine again and wait 4 days to recover.

Each time you do this, your body will recover quicker which means you are getting that muscle group in shape. Then you can do this twice a week, no more then three times a week, if that.

Do not do this routine with any other weight training! Do not over work that muscle. Over working this muscle can be dangerous to your health.

When you over work this muscle, this muscle has a big muscle fiber. Over working this muscle breaks down the muscle fiber and it is picked up by the body and is filtered in the kidneys. Sometimes, these large fibers get stuck in the kidneys and build up causing blockage and renal failure.

So do not over work this muscle until you go through the step above.

Everything will be fine. Just don't over work it with weights while doing this routine. Now, once you get use to the routine, then change up the routine by add weights and doing something different. Just don't do them both together.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 10-07-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 08:25 PM
BadHammy*

Who has the biggest, strongest legs? Guys who skate the most. Especially at your age, lifting heavy weight is a BAD idea. Skate more and more, use some isometric exercises, and be patient. You don't get good at hockey overnight, it took 5-10 years. Focus on learning good technique for now and practicing a lot. This isn't some silly hobby like checkers, it takes serious devotion.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Not sure someone your age should be lifting yet (it's not a you're too young thing, it's more a your body isn't developed enough and it could be bad for your joint development or something). I'm no doctor though, so I'd check with your doctor on that. If this is the case, skate a lot or do dry land sprints. Try plyometrics and other weightless exercises as well.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 10-07-2008 at 09:20 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:22 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Not sure someone your age should be lifting yet (it's not a you're too young thing, it's more a your body isn't developed enough and it could be bad for your joint development or something). I'm no doctor though, so I'd check with your doctor on that. If this is the case, skate a lot or do dry land sprints. Try plyometrics and other weightless exercises as well.
To add to this, usually weight training is not recommended by doctors until 18-20 ish when your body is finished developing. Until that point it should be body weight only.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
PIMking

My hockey coach would put me in the pool after skating drills.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:20 AM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
To add to this, usually weight training is not recommended by doctors until 18-20 ish when your body is finished developing. Until that point it should be body weight only.
Absolutely correct.
The rule of thumb is to usually wait until puberty is good and finished with.

Light workouts with weights are okay, but running hills and doing exercises using body weight only are perfect.

I know that Jagr said, when he was a boy, he'd do 600 squats a day using only a broomstick.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
Absolutely correct.
The rule of thumb is to usually wait until puberty is good and finished with.

Light workouts with weights are okay, but running hills and doing exercises using body weight only are perfect.

I know that Jagr said, when he was a boy, he'd do 600 squats a day using only a broomstick.
^^^ no wonder his butt is so big. of course thats why he is so hard to get off the puck.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
MikeD

These drills and suggestions above are not isometric. Isometric training involved situations where joint angle and muscle contraction is static. There is no range of motion. An example would be standing in a narrow doorway, place palms out to the door frame and push. Your muscles have contracted and the joints are locked in position. Another example would be wall sits/iron chair.

The drills listed fall into the catagory of plyometrics. PLyometrics involve the loading and rapid contraction/unload of a muscle or group of muscles. These explosive movents produce increased elasticity and power, in turn increasing speed.

At the age of 13 your in an awkward position. Plyometrics are valuable and you will see rapid gains BUT you also will see rapid decline of those gains when you stop performing Plyometrics. You could spend 2 months in development and with as short a period as two weeks see those gains lost.

Plyometric and agility drills will improve your performance greatly and rapidly. Agility training will also help you develop refined fine motor skills that are lost with your rapid growth. You will have to keep these as part of your routine or see that time wasted and gains lost. Also, talk to your doctor about getting the flu shot. A bout of the flu could put you back to square one.

http://athleticstage.uop.edu/Athleti...ion%20Menu.htm

In addition to Headcoach's works ,which will provide you with substantial improvement, you will want to look through the list of Plyo and agility training at the link above. By performing Headcoach's works and alternating other leg routines into the mix, you will find that you will need less self motivation. It will combat the "same old" that we all hit when you perform the same routine over and over. Another great program out there is Peter Sisco's CNS work out. It helped my oldest son make huge and rapid gains in both explosive speed and strength as a Defensive Tackle. WHile his friends spent hours in the gym lifting(Freshmen HS and up) he spent MINUTES.

From first hand experience, I can tell you it works. I spent a total amount of 2 hours (over a period of 2 months) and at 5' 7" easily out press even the biggest guys I work with. None can press the full 2400lbs in our work gym where as I can do 5 reps at 100% load and this is is at age 51+ lol It is an Isometric/static contraction program at its best.

http://www.getthisstrong.com/CNS_Workout.html

ALWAYS CONSULT A PHYSICIAN BEFORE BEGGINING A STRENGTH OR CONDITONING PROGRAM.

Last edited by MikeD: 10-09-2008 at 05:42 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:42 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Dot drill is pretty intense. Give it a try.

The guy in the video makes it seem so much easier than it is.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Johnny Law

Skate three or four hours a day, you will be a much better skater than those that took that time to work out.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Red Dragon

Skate, Skate and Skate some more. Not sure how you skate, but when I started skating I was taking short strides and wasting energy resulting in me being slower but once I took longer strides I was much more faster. Also make sure your skates are not too big.

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
PEI Hockey

Not sure if this was mentioned but a good one to practice skating is to jump side to side on one leg as if you were skating. Reach your maximum range and never have two feet on the ground.

This is a popular drill that officials have to go through.

PEI Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Law View Post
Skate three or four hours a day, you will be a much better skater than those that took that time to work out.
Many people don't have the ice time or money to skate that much everyday. Rollerblading is too different from ice skating. While rollerblading with proper skating form could help, nothing beats getting on the ice. However, skating is the best way to get better at skating, can't say much more about that.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Many people don't have the ice time or money to skate that much everyday. Rollerblading is too different from ice skating. While rollerblading with proper skating form could help, nothing beats getting on the ice. However, skating is the best way to get better at skating, can't say much more about that.
outdoor rinks and public skating are chances to get on the ice.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:10 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Hate to break it to you, but not a whole lot of people live in places where outdoor rinks are readily available, especially this time of year.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
Because there are sooo many outdoor Rinks in Rural NY?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:37 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
Public skates where I live are $10 per session which is as much as going to play open hockey. We are lucky if we get the ice to freeze up on our ponds to get to skate on them at all during winter these days. Plus that ice kills your blades.

Old
10-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Red Dragon

Quote:
Public skates where I live are $10 per session which is as much as going to play open hockey. We are lucky if we get the ice to freeze up on our ponds to get to skate on them at all during winter these days. Plus that ice kills your blades.
I see Public Skating is free here and there is an outdoor rink in about everytown. Should have have looked at location. Old pair of skates is what I use.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Ani simov mal

Here where I live it's like 8 dollars for like 2 or 3 hours.

Old
10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
LyNX27

In summary. This is coming from a training experience stand point also... Light weights are fine... Squats at your age... aren't very recommendable... mainly cause of join damage. At your age you more want to condition your body, so ya, long runs, a lot of sprinting. Nothing is more efective at bettering your skating though... than actually skating, for long periods of time. If your stride is not long enough try power skating (Skating very hard and using slightly exaggerated strides) Stretching is also key because longer muscles are stronger muscles. Squats are going to increase your first step and your burst, but you can easily train that if you do what i listed above and also engage in Quick Foot Work drills.

Easy drill you can do in your home can probably be found online. (youtube and such)

Hands down, no questions asked though, your best friend is a jump rope... Not kidding, easy, low cost way to better your foot work and build stronger legs, increase your over all body and leg stamina. If there is one thing you take away from my post... Jump Rope should be it.

Hope this helped.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote